Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 05:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I think it was a great day for all tonight and everyone was on a high.

A lot of personal bests with John almost getting his sub 1.20, and Matt doing a 1.13.8.

Macca - for the record a stock 993 on crap suspension but 221's is good for a mid 18 (when I managed to stay on the track, I was Robert Ho today with 2 spins on turn 7), so I would imagine the car will be in the mid 17's with suspension rebuild and chip.

Your car should be good for mid 16's.
Paul. Three days ago on this thread I had you pegged for a mid 1.18 and you were pretty much smack on it. Great work buddy. Id expect the 993 to do no less in your experienced hands! I agree, with the chip and the suspension mods you are about to embark on I should imagine a mid 1.17 is a very real possibility next time out!

Matt, a sub 1.14 is a stonking result. You must be well pleased. thats really hauling it. im assuming from comments made elsewhere here that Nigel is a pretty similar time.

Doug, it sounds like you had some fun gardening. Its going to be a whole lotta fun when you get the 964 out there. The car is clearly capable, just build on it slowly, its not as forgiving as the boxster, but youll build up quickly.

John. I really stoked for you mate. I think that WOT switch may have been holding you back last year. Probably a good thing too as you perfected your driving. i have you pegged to become the most consistent and one of hthe quickest drivers in the group (definately for the 964 group). Steady Eddie! Unfortunately with the changes made to the car this last week (Chipo, WOT switch, springs) its pretty hard to compare traces with Steve. You need to send him out again in your car. I reckon hed at least achieve a 1.19 flat and probably a middish 1.18 now which would give you a realistic target. I cant see much evidence of an improvement in Vmax over Steve before the WOT switch on that trace or am I missing something? Obviously it was felt elsewhere. I think you have been under estimating good suspension geo and set up too so Id expect you to find 0.5s with a decent coilover system and lower COG. Some weight out of the car could give you a few tenths too. Get the suspension in as soon as you can and build from there. It can take many track days to get a good coilover system sorted. Im still tinkering with mine even today, along with toe settings and front camber. This is the hardest bit to nail, get the platform sorted and stable then work on the settings next. This alone can get you into the late 1.18s in your car with some further refinement on turn 1. The 964 weakness as Paul has identified is brakes, so maybe full ventialting them and moving to a drilled rotor might give you the few tenths you are loosing there.

Its great being a track side commentator.,

I think you are right Paul. In experienced hands Id expect my 993 to be mid 1.16s. Your suspension should be pretty similar to mine next time out, and the tyres too, I think the difference would be in the weight (Im 70kg lighter) and the hp (Im 20 bhp more). The chip will help a little but you cant get the higher rev limt I have and the peakier cams. I think teh difference is evident on the straight where with 221s Id expect to be picking up late 190s.

All that being said, as I explained to Chris today I don't think Ill get back to HD till mid 2015. Id really like to see a 1.18 flat there based on my Taupo/Puke times (should be achievable?) but I cant deny that it will be over 2 years since I was last out and it doesn't give me much to work from. I would hope if I could get out there 3-4 times in a single year (even two days in a row would be great as I really need a day to get into the groove) that could be a late 1.16 but its pure speculation...

Well, sounds like a great start to the SITT guys. I cant wait to get out there. Its not much of an equaliser Im afraid but one of the things thats great is its new tracks for us all, so we get to learn together...
Old 02-26-2014, 05:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. I think that WOT switch will take care of your power dropping off in the afternoon more than anything. I looked at my tuning notes today and whilst you were on closed loop (partial throttle) you system is considering IATs and retarding accordingly with the afternoon heat. Now with WOT you should be getting consistent power (regardless of external temps assuming everything is in good health) once you go past the 78% TP...just a theory but Im betting on that issue dissappearing now....
Old 02-26-2014, 06:06 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
John. I think that WOT switch will take care of your power dropping off in the afternoon more than anything. I looked at my tuning notes today and whilst you were on closed loop (partial throttle) you system is considering IATs and retarding accordingly with the afternoon heat. Now with WOT you should be getting consistent power (regardless of external temps assuming everything is in good health) once you go past the 78% TP...just a theory but Im betting on that issue dissappearing now....
Just uploading the video. Herman has a good voice.

Mmm, that wasn't what I thought I was uploading. Have another go later.

Last edited by John McM; 02-26-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:45 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Paul, your dreams can come true at 179 Euro http://gts-models.com/en/web-shop/vi..._product_id/29
Old 02-26-2014, 07:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Looking good. Must be my computer, all I can hear is alot of wind noise. I guess not too much yo can do about that. Need to get that camera up a bit higher too. 3.5 microphone jack adapter connected to a Sony mic with wind shield velcros to the back of the camera helps really improve the sound too John as you can get omni directional towards the rear deck and this engine sound. Ive just set up a new rig so will show you on the SITT. Can run it outside the car to the exhaust if you require too with an extension....

Are you heel & toeing into 3rd from 4th at Turn 1? I couldnt hear it. The 993 is 5th to 3rd. I think the wider spaced gears of the 5 speed help at HD.

Paul. How did you find the 6 speed at HD?
Old 02-26-2014, 12:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Looking good. Must be my computer, all I can hear is alot of wind noise. I guess not too much yo can do about that. Need to get that camera up a bit higher too. 3.5 microphone jack adapter connected to a Sony mic with wind shield velcros to the back of the camera helps really improve the sound too John as you can get omni directional towards the rear deck and this engine sound. Ive just set up a new rig so will show you on the SITT. Can run it outside the car to the exhaust if you require too with an extension.... Are you heel & toeing into 3rd from 4th at Turn 1? I couldnt hear it. The 993 is 5th to 3rd. I think the wider spaced gears of the 5 speed help at HD. Paul. How did you find the 6 speed at HD?
Heel and toe is absent. I took Steve's advice and tried to keep it simple. Until I become unconsciously competent at it, I don't want to add more driver load at my pinch points on the track and turn 1 is definitely a pinch point for me. I will look at some enhancements to the camera setup on the car this weekend. Definitely want permanent power to it and a better mic. Not difficult. As you will find, open window is the best solution for no air con
Old 02-26-2014, 12:52 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Macca - see my earlier post: Best time was 1.18.77, but lots of early 1.19's. I am not used to such good brakes and kept braking at my C3 brake points.
C3 is surplus to requirements now. You go faster in the 993 and are obviously not worried about doing 10/10ths in it. Have we ever seen 7/10ths?
Old 02-26-2014, 01:44 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Ok - this is the correct footage for my PB.
Need to look at other footage to get some more of the RSG.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:00 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll take the road cone honours. It was nice to punt the old girl again yesterday thanks Doug and I was somewhat relieved to finish my sessions and hand it back in one piece. I promise i never went over 5000. When I got the car it went pretty quickly onto race tyres and a race seat so I didn't drive it much as a standard unit. Yesterday on the way down it showed what a lovely car it is with a comfy seat and balloon tyres. On the track however, the difference was night and day. Lovely drive but struggling to hang on - the driver and the tyres that is. We have all come a long way in a year and I am secretly relieved i've left the arms race for now with all these improving times and will return with something different and pick it up from there. Don't leave me too far behind.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:26 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
C3 is surplus to requirements now. You go faster in the 993 and are obviously not worried about doing 10/10ths in it. Have we ever seen 7/10ths?
Eh? - that was 7/10th's..??

A totally stock car with tired old suspension (Pete and Daniel were taking the P*ss out of me with the amount of pitching the car was doing under braking). I spun it 3 times coz it wobbled so much.

The other 3/10th's get installed shortly.

More modern Porches are very easy to drive. I had the air conditioning on and was contemplating the radio. My dad used to race to ACDC - said Thunderstruck was a good song to get the adrenalin going...
Old 02-26-2014, 03:28 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Paul, your dreams can come true at 179 Euro http://gts-models.com/en/web-shop/vi..._product_id/29

Yes - power ball two weeks in a row 'lotto win' car..............
Old 02-26-2014, 03:34 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Paul. How did you find the 6 speed at HD?
Same as my previous 6spd Audi S4...........a gear I never use........?

I didn't really think about which gears I was in, I think the car goes into fifth at the pit entry point on the home straight.

I stayed in third in turns 2 and 3. I tried the short shift in turn 2 but don't think it provided any benefit as I was carrying enough speed.

The only difference is 3rd gear is taller so I don't have to change into 4th just before turn 7 and along the short straight turning into the sweeper.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Interesting. I changes into second on turns 2 and 3 but ill try staying in 3rd next time. I found third a bit tall but never experimented with staying in 2 nd. Yes the front straight is fifth by pit exit....

7/10ths was as I understood it was an expression of effort which rapidly became confused with the specification and level of perpetration of the car.

There is probably some useful comparitive data for your car out there once you do the suspension chip and swaybars as Craig Loveridge ran it this way (with the addition of race seat) for a couple of years in bridgestone and will have fasted lap times published in old PCNZ mags. I know you are struggling to get used to not having the C3 but I think the next round of mods will have you firmly in the mid 1.17s which should take some of the pain away and also be a far more reliable platform . At that point you have hit the sweet spot and need to decide if you will take it beyond the family car you envisaged. I wouldn't if it were me. This stuff is just enough and when you need more than 1.16-1.17 go but a 996 gt3 and join Matt and Nigel a couple of seconds up the ladder
Old 02-26-2014, 04:32 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Do any of you have a suggestion of who to use to install new TPMS sensors? One of mine died in my absence and the rest only have 4-6 months of life left (Matt, I've tested the Durametric for you, works like a charm ).

Alternatively I'll wait until I replace my current tyres with a new set of MPSS, but that is a way off.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:54 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Interesting. I changes into second on turns 2 and 3 but ill try staying in 3rd next time. I found third a bit tall but never experimented with staying in 2 nd. Yes the front straight is fifth by pit exit....
Sorry Macca, to clarify, 5th over the top, change down to 3rd for turn 1, I think I stay in third along the short straight and leave in 3rd for turns 2 and 3, change down to 2nd for turn 7, change up into 3rd and change down into 2nd for the cork screw, change up to 3rd and leave in third for the sweeper.

7/10ths was as I understood it was an expression of effort which rapidly became confused with the specification and level of perpetration of the car.
r
Err - you might be right but it doesn't hurt to misinterpret a bit.

I would argue it's not possible to drive 10/10th's if the car is not set up or on road tires, you are forced to back off if the car is not track focused.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?