Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 03:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Star Wars was relatively late for me. I identify more with Thumderbirds, because one machine in the garage/hanger is never enough!

BTW my work colleagues wouldn't rest until the C4 had a name. They chose 'Herman the German'. Works well with Herminator and Herminated so I'll adopt that.

Still working how to get Herman there on Monday with his turbo stablemate. I want to record a personal best in the 964 at Pukekohe.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Herminator. I like it...
Old 01-23-2014, 03:51 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Doug - Chris and Pete have entered. And maybe Sean??
Oh, I assumed they were in the sprints in their race cars? Not the tour.

Was that you I passed going the other way on Campbell Road and waved to this morning. I waved because it was a nice air cooled Porsche then thought "that looked like it may have been Paul". :-)

I wish I had paid more attention in Star Wars.... Not that familiar with all the characters. I'd like to be a Jedi though. Suggestions.

Macca, I agree. Sometime my humour attempts are taken a bit literally.

Budgeting and planning for SITT this weekend. Need to take a deep breath. Possible sump extension, rotors, pads, tyres, service, accommodation, food, gas. It's going to be fun though.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

I have given up on budgeting as I'm not going to deny an expenditure needed to make it a good experience. This is a bucket list trip!

Btw what's the sump extension for?
Old 01-23-2014, 04:36 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
You have all probably read the rules for Levels and Highlands and know from the playday email today that there is a 95db restriction/sound check at Levels which the strictly police. Luckily Highlands is 65 on the boundary equating to around 104db on the track at its closest point to the boundary.
There's a strictly policed 95 dBa dynamic/boundary limit at Pukekohe, so if you have been/are fine there hopefully you won't have trouble anywhere else, since it's a MSNZ "standard".

Originally Posted by Macca
In the PLayday newsletter on the SITT they made the comment that 95db was loud but I recall UK Pistonheads guys finding they were unable to participate on teh track after the UK tracks lowered their dbs to 94-97db at 4000 rpm a few years ago.

I was working today on getting a head-start on the GT3 compliance and upon pouring over the factory supplied COC I discovered what I suspected (and had rumoured to be true). The 991 GT3 makes 96db at 4000 rpm and in all likelihood would be too loud for Levels (tho ok for Highllands - a "non PC" race track).

Its very interesting. The 993 is subjectively fractionally quieter than the 991 GT3 at 4000 rpm but I would only guess around 1-2db so will be touch and go there. All of the RSG crew should be fine save Richard with his new GT3 tho they may let it go. Im not sure what Matts new exhaust is supposed to make at 4000rpm but suggest it may be close too - maybe 94db......
The problem the guys in the UK typically run in to are with static limits, as they are measured from a fixed point at the rear of the car and 911s are penalized by having the engine at the rear so the SPL meter picks up all of the engine noise on top of the exhaust. Rather than a fixed 4000rpm, I think it's usually half way to the RPM limit. Tricks for reducing noise during static tests including holding the clutch in, making sure all of the accessory fans are off, and raising the revs slowly so you don't hit a peak over your target. Even stock standard GT3s of all years fail those tests on a regular basis. With the later valved GT3 exhausts you can fit a cap to stop the valve opening and significantly reduce volume, but you shorten the life of the side mufflers and lose a bit of power doing that, so although some run on track with that setup when necessary it's better to only use it for passing static tests if possible.

I've got an SPL meter, I'll bring it along to Pukekohe if anyone's interested in measuring their system statically or during a fly-by.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Great info Matt. I'm glad the Levels test is not static then. 95db on boundary is very generous (assuming fair distance from track to boundary). No worries for the GT3 or the 993 then...false alarm
Old 01-23-2014, 04:57 PM
PHG
Racer

The wild west is back boys - I'm quite keen to do this day...........anyone else keen??

Uncles....
Welcome back for the 2014 Uncles Season!!
Its a New Year but the same old Unlces, some of the best fun you can have with your pants on!!

Remember to find us on the Facebook and post pics and videos from your day!!
https://www.facebook.com/TheUnclesClub
When: Tuesday 4th February - Laps Start @ 4.30pm and will run through to 7.00pm
If track gates are closed Sign in will be at ticket office in main carpark then gates will open @ 4.00pm

What to Bring: $65 Per Driver - Cash or Cheque Sorry No Eftpos/Credit Facilities Available
Helmets are Compulsory - Motorbike / Motor Cross Helmets are OK

Where: Hampton Downs Motor Sport Park - Hampton Downs Road Off SH 1 Waikato Expressway - Centre Track.

Would be Paul, but decided to go away on the boat again for Feb. An expensive way to keep the km's down on the 996TT
Old 01-23-2014, 04:59 PM
mjg
Pro

I can't remember how far the boundary is, it's somewhere along the back straight (probably right where you'd be near top speed) and probably translates to 104-106 dBa on the track. The NZV8s are pretty loud and they get past fine, so hopefully we'll all be okay! 65 dbA at Highlands is very low (that's voice volume from 1m) but given your on-track number the boundary must be quite a distance away.

Paul, do you have any idea on the timing for the dyno tuning?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:40 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
I have given up on budgeting as I'm not going to deny an expenditure needed to make it a good experience. This is a bucket list trip!

Btw what's the sump extension for?
good on you John. It's not so much "limiting the budget", more figuring out how much dosh I need.

986.x, 987.1 (and possibly also 997.1, pre DFI) have sumps and can suffer oil starvation with track tyres, tweaked suspension and racing pads etc on the track where excess Gs keep too much oil in the heads and the oil pump may suck air deep in corners etc. Then excellerating out can starve the engine of oil temporarily.

The sump extension + baffles is a precautionary spend ($630+ labour) to prevent oil starvation on the track. George had the problem in his 986.1S and solved it with this. Peter Meredith now has one.

The best/safest solution is an Accusump - emulates a dry sump reservior system. But it's about $3k.

Some overseas track day enthusiasts recommend it. I've struggled to get good intormation but Macca helped me on RL by pushing it too.

I doubt I can get enough G forces in my setup to create the problem but are wanting to mitigate tyhe chance of having PM's problem with his Cayman.

Here's the thread I created to get info about it.
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...r-de-days.html

It's the M96 and M97 engines that can have the problem.

I certainly don't pretend to be an expert on this.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:05 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Oh, I assumed they were in the sprints in their race cars? Not the tour.
Yup, I'm competing and planning to recon the weekend before the event, probably early on the Saturday morning.

Cheers.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
I can't remember how far the boundary is, it's somewhere along the back straight (probably right where you'd be near top speed) and probably translates to 104-106 dBa on the track. The NZV8s are pretty loud and they get past fine, so hopefully we'll all be okay! 65 dbA at Highlands is very low (that's voice volume from 1m) but given your on-track number the boundary must be quite a distance away.

Matt G. Thats good data. I met Tony Quinn at the 2012 Targa. He didn't come across to as someone who would buy a race track and then play PC to the noise police. Given how quickly sound decreases with distance and looking at the track map below I would say the boundaries are a long way away form the track and suspect you could run 115db on that track! Thats great news. he probably has bought all the neighbouring properties by now too!
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2014, 09:56 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Gentlemen, a question: what's up with the 930? No one here owns one that I know of, and they never seem to get a mention. Are they too old/dangerous/crude/expensive/rare/unloved? There were 2 or 3 for sale in the PCNZ classifieds for a long time but they seem to have disappeared.
They are amazing cars, but you need to know how to drive them as they only have 4 gears and turbo lag. They also 'feel' heavy.

The maintenance bills are twice a standard 911.

People who have owned them have love/hate relationships.

They are grand tourers (like a 928), and not really a track car due to their weight and managing 4 gears/boost.

If you where to buy one, a 964 generation car is the way to go as they have 5 gears.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:59 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg

No - I need to get my A into G and answer some of his questions.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 01-23-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

They are amazing cars, but you need to know how to drive them as they only have 4 gears and turbo lag. They also 'feel' heavy.

The maintenance bills are twice a standard 911.

People who have owned them have love/hate relationships.

They are grand tourers (like a 928), and not really a track car due to their weight and managing 4 gears/boost.

If you where to buy one, a 964 generation car is the way to go as they have 5 gears.

Very well summarised Paul....

Did I catch that right? You are trying to remote live map a 1995 Motronics 2.10.01 control unit on a dyno? I assume you are using a GIAC chip or similar to plug and play into the ECU between tunes?

I assume you are hoping for results in line with Mr Schofields in the UK?

If you want to have a discussion on this at any time mate just skype me a call. I have a particular opinion on this that you may want to consider before you spend your hard earned wedge...Sean knows what Im talking about here and Ive done my homework on this one...of course it depends on your expectations....

Steve Wong is probably an easier and faster alternative...
Old 01-23-2014, 10:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Star Wars was relatively late for me. I identify more with Thumderbirds, because one machine in the garage/hanger is never enough!

BTW my work colleagues wouldn't rest until the C4 had a name. They chose 'Herman the German'. Works well with Herminator and Herminated so I'll adopt that.

Still working how to get Herman there on Monday with his turbo stablemate. I want to record a personal best in the 964 at Pukekohe.
WTF John? You were 14 in 1977. Unless you were an early maturer knee deep in it by then already (maybe we do have our wooky after all?) then what else could a pre pubescent boy be doing rather than collecting Star Wars bubble gum cars and trying to construct a light sabre?

Am I alone?, wierd? or just a bogan? (maybe all three)

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?