Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 01:28 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M3's exterior cleaned, time for a beer and then back out to wax it. Then the interior. Then the 964. Tempting to get a decent detailer out instead... any recommendations?

Saw a 964 vert and a lovely looking metallic purple 993 on Dominion Rd while out grabbing dinner (beer).

Re photo location: definitely more about the photographer, just need somewhere a bit more open than my tiny driveway.

Interested to discover the 996 GT3's standard gearing will have it at 145kph at the top of second. Not much call for a 6 speed on our roads. No wonder the closer cup ratio ring and pinion is a popular mod for these.

Had a chat to Jon about the red GT3 the other day, sounds like it's a nice example, history is well known and hasn't been used much by the current owner. Definitely an option, but there are others interested and it may be gone by the time I'm ready to talk seriously about it.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I use Mick at Newmarket Car Valet. They do all CCS work. Ive used them for 15 years on half a dozen cars. They do the 993 1-2 times a year. They do a great job for the money (inside,outside, seats and engine around $275). Tell them I sent you and you'll get looked after....

I love a clean car but I really hate cleaning them.

You are selling an M3 & 964? Is it e46 M3?
Old 03-09-2013, 03:16 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
I use Mick at Newmarket Car Valet. They do all CCS work. Ive used them for 15 years on half a dozen cars. They do the 993 1-2 times a year. They do a great job for the money (inside,outside, seats and engine around $275). Tell them I sent you and you'll get looked after....

I love a clean car but I really hate cleaning them.

You are selling an M3 & 964? Is it e46 M3?
Macca - do you know what products they use? I was going to try Final Touch up in Albany close to where I work (pretty much a meguiars range) $225 for their premium service.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Peter. No idea. Its a commercial product. You know I have grooming products for Africa. Current favorite products are Dodo Juice cleaner, pre wax and canaruba from UK. Also use Mothers for plastic polish and love their sealer & glaze. I use a nano wax product for alloy wheels and a wheel cleaner that turns blue when its done its job. Im must have 2-3 complete systems from over the years. I try to groom the car once a year myself (you know a full day affair), but these days dont have the time...

The thing I found was Micks products do the job just as well. I asked what he used and he told me it was a commercial polymer wax that Valets all over the world use. I cant fault it. I think the whole grooming products business is mostly snake oil frankly. Ive spent a small fortune over the years and watched all the training videos and the difference is nominal IMHO.

The simple mater is I have had the 993 in with Mick around 15-20 times in 13 years and its never been damaged. The somehow manage to clean the inside barrel of the wheels so they gleam like new, the detail the engine without fouling the electrics and they steam the carpets and clean the leather without making it shrink! They've done my other cars too but Im not so fussy with those. Anyone whos seen my 993 knows Im a bit fussy lol!

So for me its about trust, reliability etc. the products do their job and the car looks like new once its done. They will be doing the M5 in a few weeks time before it goes on TM but ill have Hazlers cut it back with an polisher first. That's the other thing, Micks boys wont use any orbital polisher or machine on your car - everything by hand. If you want "paint rectification work" thats a whole other science. people who arent careful can F*ck up the clear coat by using a mechanical polisher wrong - especially noticeable on dark coloured metallic cars like mine...

I looked at my last invoice and it was $250 for the works. Not sure if I get a discount on that but I suspect its the rack rate.

PS. When I had the studio photos taken for Classic Car mag I used the guy who imports Adams polish. He did a full day detail (2 people). That was a work of art using tape and a special buffer. 3-4 layers of wax etc. Big $$$ if you pay his full rate tho, but he did a world class job......

Now Ive done the Targa the grooming doesnt seem as critical. you cant groom out all the stone chips LOL!

Hope that alll helps.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

PS. Newmarket Auto Valet do all CCS Porsche, Audi and Lambo work. They are part of the landscape being based behind Porsche in the old VW/Porsche workshop building...
Old 03-09-2013, 03:34 AM
mjg
Pro

Yeah, E46 M3... if I hadn't had that before the 964 I probably wouldn't be pining for additional horsepower quite the same.

Name:  DSC_0208sm.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  221.0 KB

(excuse the non-Porsche content )

Thanks for the tip, CCS are just down the road from my office, so that's convenient. I had looked at using Final Touch before, so interested to hear Peter's experiences if he gives them a shot.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:38 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Love your M3. Manual or SMG? Great colour - what is it - hard to tell in the light?. I have Anthracite e39 M5 people hauler many years now, 400+ bhp and I know what you are saying! Will be giving it away on TM however as residuals are crap on the M5.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

BMW content! Ftom the Cannonball Run 2011....bloody great car actually. Sucked up 550 km (of high speed driving - we were there for the drive more than teh rest) four up with Zero preparation...legendary day that one...
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2013, 03:41 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
PS. When I had the studio photos taken for Classic Car mag I used the guy who imports Adams polish. He did a full day detail (2 people). That was a work of art using tape and a special buffer. 3-4 layers of wax etc. Big $$$ if you pay his full rate tho, but he did a world class job......
That sounds like an Ash recommendation - he swears by the Adams products and you could eat dinner off his garage floor let alone his cars. Ultra-immaculate.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

e39 and e46 part of a now lost and dying breed (2WD, inline tranny, naturally aspirated engines, manual gearbox). Another model generation and none of that will exist...
Old 03-09-2013, 03:45 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
(excuse the non-Porsche content )
Thats gorgeous - you are forgiven!

Big change giving up both of those babies. But a red GT3 would kind of make up for it.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Peter. Spot on. Ash owed me a favor so he hooked it up as payment. They did an unreal job. The paint was so clear it was like a mirror. Lasted till the next down pour...!
Old 03-09-2013, 03:54 AM
mjg
Pro

Manual. Colour is silver grey, one of two colours the M3 CSL was available in. You need to pick right light to photograph in otherwise it can look quite dull. Nicer than the plainer looking titanium silver they were also available in.

Love the M5s, want an E34 every time I watch that chase scene in Ronin.

The original plan was to have the 964 and sell the M3... but I couldn't give up the M3's screaming engine and 343hp. The 964 feels much better on the track, especially with the suspension sorted. The only thing for it is to get rid of both of them and find something else... hence the GT3.

I'll be sad to see both cars go, but it's a similar story with the M3 (needs to be 200kg lighter or a CSL)--better off to sell it for something that fits my needs better than start modifying it. And I'm in a bit of a silly situation with two cars I'm taking to the track with the cost of consumables.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Old 03-09-2013, 04:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Opps. Meant to post these....

Matt. You have your head screwed on correctly. Sell bot and porceeds cover a GT3 more or less a car that can acomplish both roles with aplomb and you can only drive one car at a time anyway - lifes short it may as well be a 911!
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?