Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 01:13 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Troy does a lot of instruction with Playday, he has been there more often than not recently. I haven't been with him, but Rob Ho has had a lot of sessions with him and found him really good (quite a different style from Ray, though, from what I understand).
Old 01-29-2014, 02:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are considering the SI Targa 27 Oct - 2 Nov read this....

“Event Description from out Intrepid Plotters”

After many years in the "must do" basket, TARGA is finally coming to the South Island as a celebration of 20 years of running the event every October.
With a lot of preparation, and through the kind help of many of the local car club members and regular South Island competitors, Peter and myself embarked on a 10 day odyssey, to find and plot the best and most iconic roads that the South had to offer.
We used a brand new Holden Colarado7 kindly supplied by the team at:

The Colarado7 was a dream to drive and work from.

What an event!!
It's fair to say that this Targa MUST BE on top of your list to compete in.
If not you WILL regret not participating forever.
The event starts in Christchurch with documentation and scrutineering at the famous Addington Raceway which thankfully is a venue that escaped major earthquake damage.
Christchurch is humming!! New suburbs are popping up where once were fields, the roads are clogged with trucks, vans and men in high visibility jacket, development is EVERWHERE. The 99% have picked themselves up from the quakes and are getting on with the job of rebuilding their lives. One can only admire their spirit.

Without naming the roads, here is a brief description of the itinerary that we have planned.

PROLOGUE DAY:
After documentation and scrutineering we head for the hills for two gnarly stages, exceptionally tight, with big drops but wonderful views of the city and Lyttelton Harbour. We end the day with a stage around the famous Mike Pero Motorsport Park (formally Ruapuna).
There are 4 race circuits in the South Island and we are going to race them all.
A great way to ease into the event.

Overnight in Christchurch.
Total Stage Distance of 47kms

DAY ONE:
The day will start with a journey south of Christchurch starting with stages near Pleasant Point. It becomes obvious straight away that the people down here don't stand for poorly built and maintained roads.
The predominant quality of build is smooth, flowing and well maintained.
No nasty gravel patches everywhere like the North. What an absolute joy to drive (yet alone to race on) !! This includes 4 laps of the Levels Raceway, the second of 4 circuits we drive along the way. There are 5 stages before lunch, taking in the Water Front of Timaru's lovely Caroline Bay. We then head south to Dunedin where the roads become narrower and more winding. The last stage of the day is downright bumpy, just to remind competitors of the North Island roads.

Overnight in Dunedin.
Total Stage Distance of 171kms

DAY TWO:
We head north of the city.
The first stage is right on the outskirts of Dunedin in the steep hills, before the trip north, to points such as Palmerston, Duntroon, Ngapara, and Windsor. The stages, like the previous day, are predominately smooth and flowing, however with a couple of tight, narrower and bumpy ones included.
Lunch is in Oamaru, adjacent to the historic quarter featuring some of NZ's most treasured Victorian Oamaru stone buildings.

Overnight in Dunedin.
Total Stage Distance of 139kms 

DAY THREE
We head west and south of the city.
The day starts with a 30km stage that contains one of the narrowest and steepest gorges of the event. This is then contrasted with open and flowing roads along productive but remote Otago farmland.
Back to the city for another "drive" this time along the top of the Otago Peninsular hills, narrow with huge drops, but pity our drivers won't have time to admire the harbour and ocean views !!
Then south again into remote and iconic areas such as Lawrence, Milton (for lunch), Balclutha, and the World Famous Catlins. This day has the longest stage of the event at 44kms. We end with a twilight stage of 4 laps around the world's Southernmost Race Circuit of Teratonga Park.

Overnight in Invercargill. Tim will no doubt be there to welcome you in. Total Stage Distance of 151km

DAY FOUR:

We head north today.The roads today are all smooth, flowing and just a delight to drive, traversing through such treasures as Lawrence, Clydevale, Moa Flat, Heriot, Tapanui and Waikoikoi. One stage not only has one of the steepest descents but has something like 20 intersections darting and diving in all directions. You will get to see along the way some of the most productive dairy, sheep and crop land in New Zealand. Lunch is at the A & P grounds in Gore. After the last road stage of the day we travel through Roxborough, Alexandra on our way to Cromwell, famous for not only its wines but now the World Class Highlands Motorsport Park.4 laps of the full circuit is only the start. There is the National Motorsport Museum, karting complex and mini golf. While this venue is our last circuit (we do it twice), seeing is believing!!

Overnight in Cromwell / Queenstown. Total Stage Distance of 183kms. 

DAY FIVE:

We start the day with another 4 laps of the full circuit, but today in the reverse direction from the previous afternoon. What an experience, Tony Quinn's ground-breaking circuit can be run in 17 configurations. You will not want to leave. But leave you must, because a further 5 stages await on probably the most ICONIC roads in the Central Otago area, if not New Zealand.
The last stage is a hillclimb up a certain ski field.
Let’s finish the event celebrating in the adventure capital, Queenstown night life is known to be the best and we will go out with a bang!

Finish is in Queenstown.
Total Stage Distance of 143kms (Total for the event 833km)

The event doesn't end here. A breakfast prize giving will involve a trip in a gondola, to possibly one of the best function venues in our country, with a spectacular view over Queenstown. A very special thanks must go to all the Southern Car Clubs, Council officials and Mayors, Tony Quinn, Grant Aitken and Blackwell's Holden who all went the extra mile to make us welcome and help wherever possible. Southern Hospitality at its best!!

Remember:
This Targa MUST BE on top of your list to compete in.
If not you WILL regret not participating forever. This is a once in a life time opportunity, tick it off your bucket list now!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:52 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
And we get the 'full' T Shirt! Just went slightly mad on eBay and Design 911. What turns up on 7 March will be even more modified.
Unfair, please tell :-)

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug. Once you complete the 2 day Targa NZ NI (16th-18th May) I think you will be hooked. Here is an opportunity to drive as quickly as you can on some choice NZ roads using the entire width of the tarmac with driveways taped off and medical services on standby. Better still you get to do this with a group of like minded enthusiasts who also enjoy a "spirited" drive in a vast range if interesting (and often exotic) machinery. This type of event will not exist in the worlds PC future for very much longer I suspect so enjoy it whilst you can...
Thanks Macca. I'm using the Ecolight 1 day Targa Tour on 2nd March to get a feel for it. My main concern of Targa Tour is the beating the cars get and therefore the cost. I should have a feel for it be the end of the 2nd :-)

Might have to change installers as RSG seem to be through CCS every 5 minutes, otherwise the cat will be out of the bag. Random vignettes from Monday Video Link: http://youtu.be/ymdUXQAShH8
Thanks for sharing John

Originally Posted by CS Mende
I think several of RSG office at reception outside Dean's office!! The first time I walked through the doors I clearly heard two guys whispering about the SITT - I knew I was in the right place. The first rule of Fight Club is ...
Beautiful day in Auckland, even if I only enjoy the sun on my commute. Proof that the Turbo 3.6 is not a total garage queen. Well at least it's in a different garage today.
Being a Motorscience client I feel like I'm missing out on some goss. I guess if I start following Macca or John's enthusiasm for mods I could be sly and keep them quiet.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:17 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Being a Motorscience client...I could be sly and keep them quiet.
Given I pretty much have my own park at Motorscience, I doubt it.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doug. Dont worry so much about the cars. Mechanically the engine and gearbox have a far easier time than on the track. If you gearbox or engine are going to go it will be from track driving not targa. Targa is easier on tyres too by a fair margin (we use road tyres). Targa is really only hard on paint and only if you sit on the tail of the car infront of you. As Paul will attest I did the 5 day and the paint damage was minimal. I simply matched myself up well within a group (made sure I was always chasing someone faster than me when I could) and I stayed a good 100m behind them at all times. The SI roads are also much cleaner than the NI roads with far less broken tarmac so it will be alot less of an issue than on a typical NI Targa...
Old 01-29-2014, 03:28 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Given I pretty much have my own park at Motorscience, I doubt it.
Easily busted LOL!
Old 01-29-2014, 03:31 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Doug. Dont worry so much about the cars. Mechanically the engine and gearbox have a far easier time than on the track. If you gearbox or engine are going to go it will be from track driving not targa. Targa is easier on tyres too by a fair margin (we use road tyres). Targa is really only hard on paint and only if you sit on the tail of the car infront of you. As Paul will attest I did the 5 day and the paint damage was minimal. I simply matched myself up well within a group (made sure I was always chasing someone faster than me when I could) and I stayed a good 100m behind them at all times. The SI roads are also much cleaner than the NI roads with far less broken tarmac so it will be alot less of an issue than on a typical NI Targa...
Hmmmm.... Thanks Macca. Somewhat reassuring.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:32 AM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Quick update on my Carrera GT that's being serviced at CCS. I've decided to get it wrapped by Redline signs (CCS recommended them). In the next week or so it will go from GT Silver to a metallic black. Just like getting a new car!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:15 AM
O2GO
Drifting

How would this go on the [rough] Puke track?
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2014, 04:47 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Doug, can't do the fancy multiple quote on my iPad. If I can make it to Twiilght then all will be revealed at that point. Otherwise it will be March 7. Only five weeks!

One more video to come. Medium pace group. Might take a while to upload with the quality selected.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:49 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjharrisonnz
Quick update on my Carrera GT that's being serviced at CCS. I've decided to get it wrapped by Redline signs (CCS recommended them). In the next week or so it will go from GT Silver to a metallic black. Just like getting a new car!!!
Redline do our banners and also do some jobs for the Porsche Club. It will be good to see it in the flesh.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:02 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Doug, can't do the fancy multiple quote on my iPad. If I can make it to Twiilght then all will be revealed at that point. Otherwise it will be March 7. Only five weeks! One more video to come. Medium pace group. Might take a while to upload with the quality selected.
Looking forward to the reveal.

I'm always using iPad.... The rennlist app. To do multi quotes, click the blue v pull down as if you are going to click quote and tick the check box on the left of the screen. Once you have selected all the posts that you want to quote using this method then at the top of the screen on the right click the arrow thingy and from that pull down menu select multi-quote reply.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:24 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Looking forward to the reveal. I'm always using iPad.... The rennlist app. To do multi quotes, click the blue v pull down as if you are going to click quote and tick the check box on the left of the screen. Once you have selected all the posts that you want to quote using this method then at the top of the screen on the right click the arrow thingy and from that pull down menu select multi-quote reply.
Got ya. Learn something new everyday.

No big mods today, just little steps. Replaced the door seal rubbers and fitted the RSG decal. Looking good Sam.
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2014, 05:28 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

I'd add to that some sort of undercarriage protection depending on how stiff your suspension is and what car you are driving and how hard you are going. There is air time and there are some really nasty bumps/ sump ticklers.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:30 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
How would this go on the [rough] Puke track?
I know my mods don't please the purists much but air suspension- oh no.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?