Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 01:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^Must be a ghost in the machine.

Gezz, the GT3 does sound good from the outside (never hear it form the outside!). Thanks for the clip John...

Richard had only 200km on that engine on Friday. You read that right. He would have been mad to have pushed it today as he knew exactly what the manual said about that. If he was sensible he was staying down below 7500 rpm and its certainly doesn't sound like its running at 9000rpm in the video. Hes not an overly aggressive driver on the track, nor overly fast by his own admission (best lap at HD in his old 997.1 Gt3 was in the 1.17s), hes very consistent tho and very careful/considerate. Ill drop him an email and find out how he found his first day. Most of us with mileage have found that that engine loosens up alot in the first 3000km becoming stronger (and interestingly more fuel efficient).
Old 01-27-2014, 01:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Gezz, the GT3 does sound good from the outside (never hear it form the outside!). Thanks for the clip John...

Richard had only 200km on that engine on Friday. You read that right. He would have been mad to have pushed it today as he knew exactly what the manual said about that. If he was sensible he was staying down below 7500 rpm and its certainly doesn't sound like its running at 9000rpm in the video. Hes not an overly aggressive driver on the track, nor overly fast by his own admission (best lap at HD in his old 997.1 Gt3 was in the 1.17s), hes very consistent tho and very careful/considerate. Ill drop him an email and find out how he found his first day. Most of us with mileage have found that that engine loosens up alot in the first 3000km becoming stronger (and interestingly more fuel efficient).
Old 01-27-2014, 01:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Old 01-27-2014, 02:22 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macca - the ghost (or the lezbots) are well and truly in the machine wit these multiple posts!

Was a great day at Puke today and I'd definitely vote to go back again for something different. The track has quite a different character but the biggest difference from HD is the risk equation - a lot less room for mistakes!

I was about 2.5-3secs slower than at HD and given that we're all a lot more experienced at HD I reckon that the true gap can't be much more than a second, if at all.

Richard's GT3 is epic - what a noise (but then you already know that.) The downshifts are very cool. I kind of get what Matt is saying about the looks - the problem today was that there were so many gorgeous RSG cars. The 964's, Paul's new 993, the various generations of GT3 - all special in their own way. Was fun on the m/way home watching Jason and Sam's 2 black 964's cruising along like a couple of stealth bombers!
Old 01-27-2014, 02:37 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Macca - the ghost (or the lezbots) are well and truly in the machine wit these multiple posts! Was a great day at Puke today and I'd definitely vote to go back again for something different. The track has quite a different character but the biggest difference from HD is the risk equation - a lot less room for mistakes! I was about 2.5-3secs slower than at HD and given that we're all a lot more experienced at HD I reckon that the true gap can't be much more than a second, if at all. Richard's GT3 is epic - what a noise (but then you already know that.) The downshifts are very cool. I kind of get what Matt is saying about the looks - the problem today was that there were so many gorgeous RSG cars. The 964's, Paul's new 993, the various generations of GT3 - all special in their own way. Was fun on the m/way home watching Jason and Sam's 2 black 964's cruising along like a couple of stealth bombers!
I was followed by a Porsche all the way home as well

To cheer myself up I looked at my AIM data. Will see what happened on the end of my fastest lap as I hit 200km/hr on the start finish line going in, but only 185km/hr on the end of the lap. Finishing the way I started would have me at 1m20.5s.
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2014, 03:01 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I was followed by a Porsche all the way home as well
You take the knocks with good humour though. Must be time for the 964T to make another appearance and confirm its bulletproof status?
Old 01-27-2014, 03:07 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, it was a good day, but not one for pushing on. Good day for short shifting the straights and working on the corners. I kind of miss the old track where bigger speeds were available down the chute. Favourite part is still the turn 1 sweeper, holding fourth and part throttle through it with all the bumps, then banging third and nailing it briefly thru the left kink at the esses before gathering it up for the turn onto the back straight. Well that was the plan anyway.

Brakes. Friday night i fitted a set of Endless ME22 brake pads. These are race pads so I will be interested to see how they go on the road long term. They are pricey (2 x the pagids I had) so I am expecting long life, hopefully longer than the Pagids which needed changing at half worn. They were quite impressive today, I was pleased to find that they bedded in and worked strongly. Lighter pedal pressure and much later braking than I'm used to got the ABS going quite a bit. Very impressive performance. One downside which I hope will fix itself is high speed brake squeal. You might have heard it today. The trip home was quiet except one stop which was pretty bad. Maybe once they settle in they will quieten down.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi David. Ill be following your ME22 road experience closely. I chickened out and went for the MX72 for the 993 big brake upgrade (now still born due to Brembo being backorder on the front calipers). I think the ME22 will last longer. Pete found the MX72 wore out quickly on the 64 C4. Im hoping with my vented set up thats not so much an issue...might regret it tho at those prices Id want them to last the whole SITT and NITT and then some...
Old 01-27-2014, 03:20 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely an action packed day - started with a Falcon dropping an axle on the track. And bad luck with John's water issue - but better at a track close to help than on the SITT.

Very happy with the 964, she did well. Only issue was a bit of front fender tire rubbing which have me an additional wet-weather water channel. But found it and about to take the wheel off and eliminate it.

Received tons of great advice from Steve both as co-driver, ride-along and following his lines. Started out around 1:40 and ended up very close to breaking into 1:29's. I'm happy with the result on an untested vehicle, many years since my last track day & first time really driving it since arriving in NZ. Fits like a glove ...

Now off to go fit my brake ducts & scope out track tires!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:04 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
It was 7/10th's - the other 3/10th's will come when the PSS10's are installed, and I get around to putting in track pads and RS geo at some stage..... So, what's the consensus about the difference between Puke and HD times. By my guess it's around 3-4 seconds, but could come down to 2 seconds (Puke being 2 seconds slower) if we spent more time at Puke?? Macca - didn't embarrass the 993 fraternity too much, the 993 smoked all the 964's on the track (luckily Sean and Steve not in theirs) - but there is some serious time to find and dialing in to do. My best times were 1.23's today, I think this could come down to 1.20 dead with proper suspension set-up, race pads and more time at the track. I think the car enjoyed the blow-out there is a serious carbon lining in the exhaust......... .
I reckon the difference was just over 2 seconds. Unfortunately Harry 's Lap Timer didn't bloody start itself on the last 2 sets which were my fastest (well they felt e fastest). At HD my best times are 1:20.5 and today I nailed 1:22.8 a couple of times.

Paul's car looked georgeous. When following him down the motorway I couldn't help myself pulling our to look down the side of the car. So shapely. They really nailed the design of the 993 rear end.

And we had a little play with me chasing Paul for a set towards the end of the day. That was fun. I think we were pretty even which means that when he gets the car setup right he's going to well and truly nail me.

I said I'd take it easy today. That lasted 2 sets. Then it was all on. Pushing hard and taking some risks. A little bit of the back moving accelerating our of corners. I loved the puke track by set 3. Prior to that is was frightening. I loved the first corner. Dab the brakes at the end of the main strait peaking at 212kmph on huge speedo (shows 10% faster with my 17" track wheels so that's a real 200) drop to 4th then close to full power through the sweeper, hard brake and 3rd through the left and right full power prior to the apex coming out of the tight right cornet. Nigel gave me great lines advice on that corner plus the one before the main straight. This was proven correct when Steve took myself and Paul out for a medium pace run to show us the lines to use.... That was really invaluable and a whole set following Steve/Paul really reinforced how to drive Puke.

Originally Posted by Macca
Good to know it was a minor issue John and it sounds like you caught it before it could create an expensive issue! That's a successful day out in my book. Im sure Steve is right and hopefully you can defer fan maintenance for a year or two yet. The 997 GT3 should be a turn key proposition to keep the other RSG guys at bay. They are rock solid maintenance wise and have done all their depreciation. If you exclude Nigel who has won Bridgetone in the past its really only Matt, Chris (in the Turbo) and Steve that could keep a 997.1 GT3 in check at HD IMO. Anyway, as you say you enjoy moving between cars and I understand that. Eventually that may change as it did for me. Im about to have two and Im pretty sure one of them will get all my time (but just unsure which one yet!). Ive just sorted through my footage and I have to admit the GT3 is bloody compelling for a fly in drive fly out reliability and cost of ownership point of view. Depreciation is the killer on a new car... Did Richard make it out with the 991 Gt3 today?
I thought Richards 991 GT3 in red looked a little disappointing. It's the red. I'm looking forward to seeing yours in while Macca. I'm the opposite of Peter. I love white. Don't really like red. Apart from the colour, it looked and sounded pretty sweet.

Originally Posted by Macca
Matt. Thats interesting feedback. Ive not heard anyone say that yet but maybe as you say its the colour. Wait until you see it in the flesh in white with the dark grey (PDLS) headlights. You may change your mind. I think it looks better than red )f course LOL!). Welcome to the drooping exhaust tip club. Im forever sorting mine out after they get real hot...they say its the bracket.
Me too. White with black accents. Georgeous.

A great day. I'd go black to puke anytime. It is more risk though.

Only once in huge grass after failing to slow enough for turn 2 and going straight on :-P
Old 01-27-2014, 04:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
You take the knocks with good humour though. Must be time for the 964T to make another appearance and confirm its bulletproof status?
The opposite actually. Today confirmed that I have only one track ready car and that's the C4.

The Turbo 3.6 will be a garage queen from now on. Dusted off occasionally, but not driven more than 2,000 km / year.

The 996 TT will become a DD only. The banner will come off, as will the plate. I'll sell off the 'ugly' rims with the Z221s (cost - $200 for today's use, if anyone is interested) They proved to be true wheels and the tyres are excellent, but I can't fit those on the C4 as they are 18".

The C4 will become more track focussed after the SITT: Steve Wong chip, suspension etc. I will also look at some lessons and to tap Simon's experience.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:24 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
The C4 will become more track focussed after the SITT: Steve Wong chip, suspension etc. I will also look at some lessons and to tap Simon's experience.
And more 'Red Mist' descends...................

John - you need to sort your sh*t on those 2 x HD corners mate. I have observed that you are just as fast as anyone else on Puke, Taupo and Manfield - but for some reason you are leaving a 'Dave' on the table at HD.

Time to get over this self imposed jinx coz you have the speed at other tracks.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:29 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

On a separate issue - my exhausts look like they have been spitting out rust........??

I am guessing this is a build up of carbon that I am spitting out...??

Old 01-27-2014, 04:34 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
On a separate issue - my exhausts look like they have been spitting out rust........?? I am guessing this is a build up of carbon that I am spitting out...?? .
Get Contis to strip down your oil filter and see what **** is in there. After i gave my 987 it's first track workout there was a lot of carbon in the oil and filter. Nothing like an Italian tuneup. New oil and filter and everything is good again. She should run very sweetly the next couple of weeks
Old 01-27-2014, 04:38 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^^ Bloody hell John. That's you best plan yet I reckon. Makes 100% sense. Not sure what your drinking tonight!

The Heminator will be one sweet track machine by the time we get to the NITT. Cant wait!

Doug. Great write up! Im jealous as hell of course not being able to go to the track. The only two times Ive driven Puke was before they changed it. Ray showed me the lines. It makes a huge difference. I have booked an instructor for an early and late day session for each of the SITT tracks. I will also want Ray again to come on NITT. At Puke (old track) Ray brought my times down by 10 seconds in a day to early 1.14s which he said was alright in the 968. Back then it was how well you hooked up after the Castrol Ss onto the back straight and how big your ***** were braking into the turn at the end of the back straight. I found the line through the Ss tricky (balance) and the corner onto the back straight I never got consistent on. I was great at braking late and the outfield Ss leading onto the front straight came very naturally even though you get throw to the outside grass strip after the Ss and then used to cut hard along the other side near the armco running wide up to the sweeper. Now Im getting carried away....withdrawl symptoms!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?