Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 12:28 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Tony - you know my advice! Like John I'd be reluctant to buy an older car out of the UK unless I had a really reliable indy to do do full inspection. And you could burn a lot of PPI cash before settling on a good one. Also 964s (and 993s and older 911s) are way more expensive in the UK at the moment so importing makes no sense financially after you pay shipping and GST. At GBP 25k a decent 964 will be $60-65k landed here. Just not worth it. Even a cheap Gen 1 Cayman S from the UK at around GBP 18k won't land and get on the road here much beneath $48k. Either of the silver ones at JZM would fit the bill there. Though remember the midnight blue tip at Contis a few months back was listed at $49k and had lower mileage than those. So a NZ new one would still be preferable if you can find a manual one. But at that price you are above budget as I understand it.... So back to my advice. Buy on condition and buy the best 964 that you can afford. They are rare enough that good ones don't come around all that often and when they do in manual they don't last long. If you hang around looking for a 'bargain' then I think you'll miss the boat. An alternative given how you want to use the car would be a manual 996 with the IMS done and the bores scoped. All the cheap ones are tipos though. So I reckon you need to be decisive with the next car that 'floats your boat' - then we can start talking you into the next phase of mods... As to the sweepstake of when you will actually buy a car - I will stick (optimistically!) to Feb!! BTW - anyone reading from Hawkes Bay with a manual 964 or Cayman that they would consider selling (or who knows of one) - I know Tony is down that way over this weekend and keen to view. Nothing on TM this time of year.
I'm sounding like a broken record, but the ideal car is in a garage about 150m from my house....
Old 01-03-2014, 12:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Tony. If you are seriously in the market for a 964 then you would be mad not to buy David C2 (if its not already sold). Ive watched teh market along with other here for a good 10 years and I could count on one or two hands the good 964s that have come and gone. Its a thin market...best of luck with that...
Great minds think alike.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:36 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Well it worked :-) My "other car" will have to be a 911 of some sort. Preferably a Hot Rod, ie backdated with modern running gear and usability. Tall order!
The most recent base for a backdate is the 964. The beauty of those is that you can do it in stages, which is effectively what I've done. Talk to Steve as he has some of the parts e.g. a long nose bonnet with a 964 fixing point that obviates the need for cutting metal. Nothing I've done so far is redundant in a backdate and I get to refine the base car before the bodywork is done.
Attached Images   
Old 01-03-2014, 12:50 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. It looks almost perfect. 30-40mm drop and some clear front indicators are I reckon you are done with the exterior. David may end up with a Heigo for sale once he shifts the 964 so that could be an option with your RS door cards and RS rear parcel shelf carpet to complete the interior.

I may be putting an order in with Southbound in the UK soon if anyone wants to piggyback to save money on the freight....
Old 01-03-2014, 12:57 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tony - ditto - just buy David's car. It is the second best 964 manual that I know of (the only better car is the white one at the concourse, but this is a $60K+ car with very low miles and like new).

You need to realise that buying is just the starting point, you need to budget $10K in maintenance, or be lucky and buy Dave's which has had $20K poured into it by Matt and Dave over the last 2 years.

You will see there is a common theme here as we have all been bitten by experience and the solution to happy P-car ownership that doesn't eat you alive cost wise is common (only buy a car that already comes with an inch thick of recent maintenance bills, or you will be the one providing this inch of maintenance bills)

In summary, the car may be a few more dollars than you want to spend, or the timing may not quite be right - there are no P-car bargains, except for a car that has had a lot of recent money spent that can't be recovered (i.e. Dave's car). It may be a few more dollars than you plan to spend, but holistically it is the cheapest form of ownership as there is no major maintenance needed........

When you look around, Macca's car is amazing, but has $130K + of improvements, Sean's, my black 911 are $50K, Dave's and John's - circa $30K.

So don't be fooled by a $30K car on TM with lots of delayed maintenance, as it will be a $50K once you get it running right...........

End of lecture.............
Old 01-03-2014, 01:02 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

John. It looks almost perfect. 30-40mm drop and some clear front indicators are I reckon you are done with the exterior. David may end up with a Heigo for sale once he shifts the 964 so that could be an option with your RS door cards and RS rear parcel shelf carpet to complete the interior.

I may be putting an order in with Southbound in the UK soon if anyone wants to piggyback to save money on the freight....
Needs RS brakes and ride height - that stance, disks and big reds are the icing and make a 964 RS an 'RS' and not a 'standard' 964...............

Macca - I think I need the grey carpet section for the transmission tunnel piece from behind the front seats - just discovered a small hole that I wish to resolve (unless you want to sell this portion of your carpet set when you do the RS carpet set...............
Old 01-03-2014, 01:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Tony - ditto - just buy David's car. It is the second best 964 manual that I know of (the only better car is the white one at the concourse, but this is a $60K+ car with very low miles and like new).

You need to realise that buying is just the starting point, you need to budget $10K in maintenance, or be lucky and buy Dave's which has had $20K poured into it by Matt and Dave over the last 2 years.

You will see there is a common theme here as we have all been bitten by experience and the solution to happy P-car ownership that doesn't eat you alive cost wise is common (only buy a car that already comes with an inch thick of recent maintenance bills, or you will be the one providing this inch of maintenance bills)

In summary, the car may be a few more dollars than you want to spend, or the timing may not quite be right - there are no P-car bargains, except for a car that has had a lot of recent money spent that can't be recovered (i.e. Dave's car). It may be a few more dollars than you plan to spend, but holistically it is the cheapest form of ownership as there is no major maintenance needed........

When you look around, Macca's car is amazing, but has $130K + of improvements, Sean's, my black 911 are $50K, Dave's and John's - circa $30K.

So don't be fooled by a $30K car on TM with lots of delayed maintenance, as it will be a $50K once you get it running right...........

More true advice has not been given!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 01:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Needs RS brakes and ride height - that stance, disks and big reds are the icing and make a 964 RS an 'RS' and not a 'standard' 964...............
Very true. Some nice red brembos are really mandatory on a 911 hotrod no matter what the generation or backdate! Drilled rotors are sweet too. Unfortunately with the Fuchs you dont get to see much of those upgrades but they will certainly help once you are nudging the 1.20s bar at HD. Brake issues are consistent at HD with 964 running 1.20 or below from RSG experience. I think the factory didnt play catch up until the 993 in this regard. A set of 964 turbo rotors and calipers should do the trick!
Old 01-03-2014, 01:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Paul. Thats not a part Im replacing. Southbound have agreed to do a customized rear RS parcel shelf carpet (they have the factory classic grey carpet still in stock - sent me a sample and its 100% and I dont know for how many years they will continue to have stock). Im still thinking it over. I wanted the "anniversary" script I created embroidered on it in black or silver thread (where the "Carrera RS" is usually put) and speaker holes. Theyve agreed to do it but its pricey so still mulling it over. They have the roiginal beading too. They can definitely do your price. Email David at Southbound. southboundmotor@btconnect.com .Your front drivers well undermatt should have a factory code (for classic grey 4XR). Just check that....
Old 01-03-2014, 01:21 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John. It looks almost perfect. 30-40mm drop and some clear front indicators are I reckon you are done with the exterior. David may end up with a Heigo for sale once he shifts the 964 so that could be an option with your RS door cards and RS rear parcel shelf carpet to complete the interior. I may be putting an order in with Southbound in the UK soon if anyone wants to piggyback to save money on the freight....
I've been down to Dave's garage looking at the items that he's added to his car that may make my car more complete and his more saleable (to those fixated on price).

The Heigo is very tempting but the harness bar is an issue. It's too low for my RSR seats and I can't put the Heigo and my custom harness bar in at the same time. We've reached an agreement on his RS cards. Not sure about clear indicators on a white car. As for suspension, Steve is adamant that we do nothing right now. He is deriving systems to replicate and will install a set of coil overs into his own car first before recommending them to others. The RSR seats were another test, successful particularly for tall drivers who want to retain sliding ability.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:37 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tough crowd! But fair!
Old 01-03-2014, 01:41 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Macca,

I am engrossed in these 9M threads at the moment...............

Rennsport gruppe trip to the UK in 2015 i reckon.........

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=230720
Old 01-03-2014, 01:43 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
As for suspension, Steve is adamant that we do nothing right now. He is deriving systems to replicate and will install a set of coil overs into his own car first before recommending them to others. The RSR seats were another test, successful particularly for tall drivers who want to retain sliding ability.
Are there any suspension options on the table for testing? I know I've said it before but I was astounded by the difference stock B6's made with the RS sways. Adjustable coilovers would have been nice but overkill for where I ended up.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:47 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Macca,

I am engrossed in these 9M threads at the moment...............

Rennsport gruppe trip to the UK in 2015 i reckon.........

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=230720
And that's a 2005 thread!! Colin's done some seriously cool builds for sure. But its another way to add another zero onto our annual running budgets!! If that's a problem of course!

Too much eye candy in the UK/US - a Gruppe trip would be a wallet opener for sure. I was just looking at the 2nd hand PS Autoart backdate - POA but does mention the GBP165,000 build cost...
Old 01-03-2014, 01:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Looks like you have done plenty of thinking on it. I am also unsure if the clear indicators will help or hinder. They certainly will clean up the asthetics a bit. Can get busy with graphics race numbers etc. Sgame about the heigo but makes sense. I went for a seperate haness bar incase I put the recliners back in as I'm long of leg. Never got around to buying it as I really have no desire to put 6 points in the 993. Have had them fitted to the GT3 this week as supplied by porsche as it stops them going missing in transit and I think that's enough. Interesting suspension development coilover viaSteve. I'm not that patient myself. There is plenty of intel out there on what works. Kwv3 would be my pick for the 964 but no rush for you for a while as you say...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?