Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 04:13 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I just ordered a set of Endless ME22's over ME20's on Mike at Prosportauto's advice. They are a track pad. The ME22's behave themselves well on the road.
The MX72 are more a road pad for occasional track.
Looking forward to trying them out.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
And as for the 993 RS - well in my opinion, next the the 3.3 Turbo S, it is probably the best looking 911 ever.........

Who cares how fast they are, I would just sleep well in the knowledge they are in my garage.........

Their value is in emotion they provide. If you talk to Ron, he reckons the 991 Turbo S is truly amazing - far superior to his 997T, but when we went to look at the car displays, everyone here went to the older cars.

Even though the 991 Turbo S would p*ss over any of the other cars...........it may as well be a Toyota........as it was boring.......
Hi Paul. I guess what Im saying here is that you need to own some of your dream icon cars to really understand if they match the hype for you and fit your lifestyle. They are not for everyone or everyone would have one.

You often mention the 3.6T etc. If you sold your C3.0 and bought a 3.6T would you go to the track and do the targa? Isnt that why we are here and on RSG and why we are chatting? If we were the concourse group we probably wouldnt even be on here.....

I envy Ron & Patsys approach. They use their cars exactly how they ere intended to be used. The GTR has 50k km on it and 45k km of that is 6 targas and 15 track days. The 997 is similar. Ron has a 991 to go to work and a cayman which get used for his sunday drives. They buy those cars use the heck out of them and update them. They spend as much on events and consumables over the cars lifetime as the depreciation on those cars and if they wants a 2.7RS, 964RS, 993RS they could surely afford the best they could find any time they like. I love my old Porsches and Im always joyful to get through an event without them failing. They just get in them and drive. Everyone is different but this is how Bill Farmer, Ray Barker etc used their new cars back in the day - the ones we covert today. Its not how I would do it personally but I do admire their approach. The choose with their head I guess.

If you had an open chequebook for a single P car to own and enjoy for the next 20 years - just one single car what would it be. Any budget any (realistic) price? CGT? 959? ST? RSR?

This probably says something about my personality but I would order a bespoke Singer with 3.9L 400 bhp engine upgrade and got to LA for three months and become absolutely involved in the build and design process. Total cost including donor and registration on NZ roads? $650,000.00 - Id drive it every day, track and Targa and to the shops too LOL!

John. When did your 3.6T last have canaruba wax?
Old 11-26-2013, 04:24 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Macca, I used Mothers in 2003. I think that has some of the good smelly stuff. Just registered for the Porsche Club annual lunch. Whimped out of any concours entry but will give it a good clean, including a wheel off polish.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
I just ordered a set of Endless ME22's over ME20's on Mike at Prosportauto's advice. They are a track pad. The ME22's behave themselves well on the road.
Dave. I did the opposite LOL! MX72 ordered three weeks ago should be here next week along with the new brake calipers, anti squeal spiders and contact wires. Im not having any braking issues with the current set up and didnt want the noise or I would have considered the ME20/22 set up. I think with the larger brakes I probably dont need to worry about compounds as much.

Your car runs 2 pot rear calipers vs 4 pot front. Did you consider running 22 on teh backs and 20 on the front - may pull the bias up at the back a bit better and give a bit more stability under straight line braking?

I went with the RS rear calipers over the turbo ones as they have larger pistons (40 v 36mm). The extra rear braking capability is noticeable. Some people out some more bite into the front pad to bring it back more to factory spec but other with a more similar braking style to me like the extra rear braking. My factory rears are 299mm the new ones 322mm. You can see the pad area difference on this picture. The far left is factory rear pad running now and the next on the right is the RS caliper pad.

You cant easily change the brake proportioning valve on the car but you can use the pad compound to put some additional braking on the real axle instead of changing the size of caliper/disc (wear rate may be more aggressive).

Of course all the above is theory as Im not good enough to know any difference but around 9 months ago when I started this lark I as a well known guy on rennlist who has huge 993 track experience help me on a program to set my car up better for the rack whilst not compromising for the road. Bill is regarded a bit of a master at this and Ive been following his advise to the letter to date (including Geo, suspension etc). Seems so far to be good advice (I think LOL!)
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2013, 04:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Macca, I used Mothers in 2003. I think that has some of the good smelly stuff. Just registered for the Porsche Club annual lunch. Whimped out of any concours entry but will give it a good clean, including a wheel off polish.
Id say you may be due another good wax John. The car too looking at the water on that paint LOL!
Old 11-26-2013, 04:31 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Sean - so if its too nice to race or presumably Targa - what are you going to do with it??
I'm not sure long term mate, depends if I move back to NZ or not. I will keep it and use it as a track day toy and drive while I'm back in NZ until I land on either the US or Auckland as next permanent dwelling, then make a call.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:47 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by Maxem
I think you'll be happy.

I've got the ME20s and even they aren't too noisy around town, but then my around town isn't like everyone else's around town.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Paul, you were the only one who borrowed my AIM so the 1.19.40 must be yours. Here's your lap against Steve's lap in my Car. You're the green trace.
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2013, 05:04 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Dave. I did the opposite LOL! MX72 ordered three weeks ago should be here next week along with the new brake calipers, anti squeal spiders and contact wires. Im not having any braking issues with the current set up and didnt want the noise or I would have considered the ME20/22 set up. I think with the larger brakes I probably dont need to worry about compounds as much.

Your car runs 2 pot rear calipers vs 4 pot front. Did you consider running 22 on teh backs and 20 on the front - may pull the bias up at the back a bit better and give a bit more stability under straight line braking?

I went with the RS rear calipers over the turbo ones as they have larger pistons (40 v 36mm). The extra rear braking capability is noticeable. Some people out some more bite into the front pad to bring it back more to factory spec but other with a more similar braking style to me like the extra rear braking. My factory rears are 299mm the new ones 322mm. You can see the pad area difference on this picture. The far left is factory rear pad running now and the next on the right is the RS caliper pad.

You cant easily change the brake proportioning valve on the car but you can use the pad compound to put some additional braking on the real axle instead of changing the size of caliper/disc (wear rate may be more aggressive).

Of course all the above is theory as Im not good enough to know any difference but around 9 months ago when I started this lark I as a well known guy on rennlist who has huge 993 track experience help me on a program to set my car up better for the rack whilst not compromising for the road. Bill is regarded a bit of a master at this and Ive been following his advise to the letter to date (including Geo, suspension etc). Seems so far to be good advice (I think LOL!)
Never crossed my mind about mixing compounds across axles. Looking forward to trying these. In the end the Pagids worked out ok but these will be a step up and will hopefully last a bit longer.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:15 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Cost and delivery time?
Old 11-26-2013, 05:29 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Paul, you were the only one who borrowed my AIM so the 1.19.40 must be yours. Here's your lap against Steve's lap in my Car. You're the green trace.
This is quite an interesting graph as it shows identical lap times but with different cornering technique, especially on turn 10 with double apex racing ray line vs steve's continious curve. There is a HUGE speed difference during the corner, yet we end up at the same speed down the straight. I know Pete's C4 is quicker than my car in a straight line, assuming your car is as quick, this means the double apex gives a quicker back straight speed at the cost of mid cornering speed?
Old 11-26-2013, 05:40 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Graeme, a few pics of your car on PCNZ Facebook, but not enough! Are you going to post some here?

As for your post, you pretty much nailed it. One ride in Steve's 964 brought home how focused a car needs to be to go that fast. I will do minor enhancements to the C4 but it will clearly remain a road car, as will the Turbos. Still like the idea of a race car, but it would have to be a ready built one. I'll keep an eye out.
John, there is the thread over on RSG with the build pics will post a couple xtra
Old 11-26-2013, 05:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

This is quite an interesting graph as it shows identical lap times but with different cornering technique, especially on turn 10 with double apex racing ray line vs steve's continious curve. There is a HUGE speed difference during the corner, yet we end up at the same speed down the straight. I know Pete's C4 is quicker than my car in a straight line, assuming your car is as quick, this means the double apex gives a quicker back straight speed at the cost of mid cornering speed?
Tomorrow night I'll try some of the other measures e.g. The lines taken and lateral/longitudinal G. Looks like you've got some more time up your sleeve on turn 10.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:41 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
John, there is the thread over on RSG with the build pics will post a couple xtra
Thanks.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:41 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I thought the same thing. In my outing Racing Ray taught me the double apex method of turn 10 stating that once I'd mastered it I would cut a second off my lap times and reduce the excessive wear on the LF tyre caused by taking the corner on a continuous line.

Unfortunately didn't get time to practice it afterwards and my performance was awful during the training with Ray chatting in my ear. Have trouble with concentrating on too many things at once.

To really tell the difference I think you need the same car and try it both ways, maybe you and Steve do a run I the same car and then compare the results of turn 10 afterwards?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?