Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 03:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doug. Thanks for the well wishes. We will be thinking of you!

Buba. Thanks for the pics. It was already on the list (although fairly difficult to track without a rego or VIN at this stage). It has black headlight too!

Nics photo was at the race track in Taupo. Car was imported ex UK brand new likely C98 spec from Intermarque (importing agents). Car you pictured at Gillies is on my list above "unknown owner" and included in the figures. I got it mistakenly thought it could have been Jon Ws car...
Old 01-12-2015, 03:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Anyone coming to Festival of Speed this weekend?

Sean is racing both Sat & Sun. I will be there both days. I assume Steve and others will be there too. It would be good to have some RSG company over the weekend, plenty of car talk and a few beers.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:46 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
With all this talk of importing I've often wondered how those of you have done it have gone about entry certification? It disturbs me that a car would be pulled apart by some bloke in nz without sympathy

Do you have it documented for standards compliance before shipping? Will this mean its good for registration on arrival?

As most of you seem to use agents I'm guessing they prepare all requisite paperwork for such?

Sorry for the noob questions. It's something I've been curious about for a while
McCullochs handled it from buying the car all the way through to me picking up from VINZ. Anything I needed to do they sent me specific instructions on what to do where and how. It was very easy, just takes time.

I don't believe they pulled my car apart, I don't think they do much to new or near new cars that are basically the same as what is sold here as NZ new. Heres a 2014 Cayman S that could be landed and complied I would expect for no more than NZ$110k. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi..._old?logcode=p
Old 01-12-2015, 03:50 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
Anyone coming to Festival of Speed this weekend?

Sean is racing both Sat & Sun. I will be there both days. I assume Steve and others will be there too. It would be good to have some RSG company over the weekend, plenty of car talk and a few beers.
Steve is racing as well in his white RS, I will be there watching at least one day. Kevin Cantwell is also racing in his 964 Cup car.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:01 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone see the 3.2 Carrera coupe listed on TM yesterday for $35k? I'm guessing it went in a screaming hurry.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Steve is racing as well in his white RS, I will be there watching at least one day. Kevin Cantwell is also racing in his 964 Cup car.
Great. We should hook up. Txt me when you are there....
Old 01-12-2015, 04:27 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
McCullochs handled it from buying the car all the way through to me picking up from VINZ. Anything I needed to do they sent me specific instructions on what to do where and how. It was very easy, just takes time.

I don't believe they pulled my car apart, I don't think they do much to new or near new cars that are basically the same as what is sold here as NZ new. Heres a 2014 Cayman S that could be landed and complied I would expect for no more than NZ$110k. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi..._old?logcode=p
If this one is VAT qualifying (its a Porsche dealer) you could have a GTS manual for the same price! Paul??????

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...manual/2683987
Old 01-12-2015, 04:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
If this one is VAT qualifying (its a Porsche dealer) you could have a GTS manual for the same price! Paul??????

You could definitely buy a new GTS and land it here with a few options, complied and GST for no more than 115-120K NZD in any case...

Anything limited like GT3/GT4 will be tough as dealers will not sell to anyone but good clients in the UK I found. I have UK/Euro passport and residential address in UK (family) and called around a dozen dealers for a 991 GT3 and they all basically sounded reluctant and non committal. They dont like Colonials much and want repeat business...
Old 01-12-2015, 04:36 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S

Yes - very nice and sure beats paying crica $180K for one with some options in NZ. Just goes to show the kiwi GTS's are in for some super-sonic depreciation (half price in 3 years??)
Old 01-12-2015, 04:41 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Anyone see the 3.2 Carrera coupe listed on TM yesterday for $35k? I'm guessing it went in a screaming hurry.
Yes, apparently it sold quickly for slightly less than asking price. Divided opinions on facebook as to its quality.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:44 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
No - what can you tell us about it Michael?

John - where is the facebook correspondence on this?
Old 01-12-2015, 04:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Nothing new here.

Welcome to new car buying.

Purchase something a little more edgy and limited to try and limit size of depreciation. Or import yourself a more mainstream model.

Masa sold his 964T and bought a Renault Minge 265. He had it out last Sunday drive. Goes like a cut cat and costs 55K loaded with everything. One of the Targa Tour front row cars is an older version. Holds off 500 bhp 911 turbos.

So much good metal right now. I looked at C45AMG last week. Unbelievable car well under for under 80K for a 6 month example. Goes quicker than any 911 till recently. Shame its pig ugly.

Im shopping new cars launched from 2012 in order to get some ideas for our 2016 RSG Europe trip. 18 months away so something 3 years old ex UK could be interesting to use whilst up there, export and use here as wife wagon - then sell and hopefully control the depreciation a bit better.

Assumes Cayman is 150K+ landed grey market which I get a sense it will be and therefore is too rich for me (and infact Im falling more and more in love on this trip with the 991 breadth of capability, the sound and the handling of the 991 GT3 so feel less inclined to pay almost as much as I did for that car for something that will not perform as well and is not a 911). The last week Ive learnt more and more about driving the GT3 quickly on the road and its now starting to fit more like a glove. Im using only "manual" now and love the sound of banging the gears through, down especially into the meaty 4500-8500 rev band. Anyone whos driven with me will attest to how insane it sounds on the gas. Bloody brilliant or "mega" as Jethro B would say.

No idea what tho....
Old 01-12-2015, 04:55 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
You could definitely buy a new GTS and land it here with a few options, complied and GST for no more than 115-120K NZD in any case... Anything limited like GT3/GT4 will be tough as dealers will not sell to anyone but good clients in the UK I found. I have UK/Euro passport and residential address in UK (family) and called around a dozen dealers for a 991 GT3 and they all basically sounded reluctant and non committal. They dont like Colonials much and want repeat business...
I suspect the Cayman R is an example of this type of transaction. Keep on doing the ground work for me gents.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
No - what can you tell us about it Michael? John - where is the facebook correspondence on this?
Air cooled NZ
Old 01-12-2015, 04:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John buying a used Cayman R would not be an issue. With new cars dealers prefer a trade in and a client they believe they can make further new car sales to in the future. GT3 owners often trade their old GT3 for the new hence twice the margin opportunity for the dealer...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?