Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 01:37 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Err...........we need to book Daniel and a boat load of parts too............
Old 11-15-2013, 01:38 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Macca, I just saw the Targa email too. Yes - I think this is 2014's big event for RSG, coupled with an annual NITT............. We should start planning cars and co-drivers as it will be quite an undertaking............ 2015 needs to be overseas............. I am guessing you will need to book the tour spots quite quickly as when you add some South Island guys in, I'd say the 40-50 spots will fill very quickly. They may have to run more than 2 groups??
Good point, I gather you need two to a car?
Old 11-15-2013, 01:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Rego will open up by Jan.

Playday are already talking about taking a group. Ive been speaking with Tony about it. He is working with Martin to try and get a group discount.

The event will fill up fast and they may end up having to limit entries.

It will be a bucket list epic event.

Ill keep everyone informed.

2015 is Skip Barber 4 day intensive race school for me followed by beers at Magnus Walkers place.....
Old 11-15-2013, 02:01 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
2015 is Skip Barber 4 day intensive race school for me followed by beers at Magnus Walkers place.....
Can I come too............?
Old 11-15-2013, 02:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yip. More on that one in 2014. We will call it "The RSG Californication Tour". To the wives we will call it
"Advanced Driving and Safety School". Suggest bring cash as CC statements can be a give away....
Old 11-15-2013, 02:08 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Good point, I gather you need two to a car?
Yes - you need a co driver.

You would want to build groups of cars and co-drivers from the RSG, with the view to the co-driver paying half the costs too, as you will be talking a circa $7-10K exercise by the time you allow entry fees, accommodation, starting on a new set of tires, a service crew of some description and some preventative maintenance on the cars (big service, pads, disks, suspension set-up). IMHO a Targa is equivalent to 10 track days on a car.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:10 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Yip. More on that one in 2014. We will call it "The RSG Californication Tour". To the wives we will call it
"Advanced Driving and Safety School". Suggest bring cash as CC statements can be a give away....
Hank Moody is a demi-god............last of the non-PC brigade..........

I can already see the t-shirt.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hank Moody is a television character Paul. We have plenty of the real thing down here living in non PC land (Vanuatu)....

Re 2014 NITT. Suggest someone on RSG committee take up organizing this event starting early 2014 for similar time-frame as last year (seemed to work well)? Make sure Dave is in charge of accommodation again!!!

Regards 2014 NZ TT. This will be epic. Its a record 6 days, plus Ferry and travel.

In 2012 our budget for the 5 day event was $5500 (event entry, food, accommodation, fuel). On top of this we had flights and tyres and some spending money. $10K for us but less for NZ resident.

Preparing the car came to $880 (CCS, fluids & check) and you will need TrackIT GPS hardwired and a Monit Rally computer installed if this is your firt time out (assume $1300 all up). Assuming $370 return ferry and an additional 1200 for fuel as in 2014 its a record 6 days event then add a full set off tyres and probably double the mechanical preparation budget (will need strong clutch, new pads all new fluids & belts). Entry fee will be higher for the 20th year - I will assume $4000. It looks like well get around 3500km touring there and back, plus around 3000 km touring during the event and maybe 1100km closed road stages with perhaps 200km track/special stages (all guess work). Your car will need to be solid for around 8000km of work and depending how hard and fast you drive ion the road you should probably work on a 6-8 track day guide line. The cars do not spend time as long at high rev's and the brakes doe not get used as hard, but the suspension takes a pounding and so does the paint! You will need to spend money on your car after the event, be in no doubt! After the 2012 event I needed a new clutch (input shaft seal spit on day 4 leaking small oil on brand new RS clutch surface). I also needed the paint professionally attended to. The tar from the road was all over the rear and after 6 days of dirt turned hard - we tried to get it off but left the entire paint job with swirls from rubbing the grit using citrus cleaner. Nightmare.

What top budget for 2014 20th Anniversary Targa NZ. I believe in all honesty you wont come away from this event without spending $14-16000 per car. That assume you drive down and back (12-13) day trip return = $3500 car entry, $2500 fuel, $2350 accommodation, $375 ferry, $1800 food, $800 sundry spending = $11,200. That will work for two sharing a room. Now add preparation costs and these may range form $2000 for mechanical through to $5500 if a set of tyres and Monit + Trackit install are needed.

Hence the reason I mentioned that if you add the SITT ($10K including flights) and the Europe GT3 trip on to this I need a job! Chris you take the 6- midnight shift at McDs Queen Street and Ill take the graveyard!

I think for many of you it may make sense to share a car and share the stages. Just as rewarding but half the price! $7-8K each, 2 weeks leave from "the boss" and "her indoors" and its a done deal. It will require some precision planning a good 6 months out. Good news is we will know some of the roads and all of the tracks after the SITT!

If anyone reading this is still interested in next years Targa Tour please let me know here so I can mention rough numbers when talking with Tony. Im sure they will be helping with the track side of it.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:25 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macca, I'm very keen for next year's TT in the South Island. As you say Buscket List, once in a lifetime opportunity.

Also keen on some California touring and picking up a MW T shirt or two :-)
Old 11-15-2013, 04:02 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I'd be in too for 2014 TT.

I would probably prefer to be a co driver to someone as not sure my old girl would be up to it?? Happy to pay half the costs.

This is modern car territory as you are spending all day in the car and need to be comfortable...........

I think we all need to go buy 996 TT's (with heated seats and CD stackers)
Old 11-15-2013, 04:07 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I'd be in too for 2014 TT. I would probably prefer to be a co driver to someone as not sure my old girl would be up to it?? Happy to pay half the costs. This is modern car territory as you are spending all day in the car and need to be comfortable........... I think we all need to go buy 996 TT's (with heated seats and CD stackers)
My problem is my height i.e. I don't fit comfortably in most seats with a helmet on. Sounds like a job for 01TRBO.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:12 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
My problem is my height i.e. I don't fit comfortably in most seats with a helmet on. Sounds like a job for 01TRBO.
John - no helmet or racing overalls mate.......just jeans and t-shirt.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:18 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John - no helmet or racing overalls mate.......just jeans and t-shirt.
That widens the choice then...93TRBO?
Old 11-15-2013, 04:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul is right John. I think you are a match made in heaven. John, sounds like you should pair up. Look like an unlikely couple too so no one will guess. Hes basically invited himself anyhow by saying he wants a 996 TT ride so why not!

Basic rules for Tour are no harness, no helmet, no overalls. Again Paul is right - old machinery will struggle with a 4 day Targa Tour and even more with a 6 day + 3500 km transit tour. That being said my old girl should make it. I want my moneys worth form all those "improvements"!

Doug. Ill put you down as a definite.

Chris is in pending job share with me at McDs. I hear parking ticket booth operator at SkyCity up for grabs too so race you to it Chris.

Sean will join us but think he may be considering a full competition assault so not part of the Tour.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna

Also keen on some California touring and picking up a MW T shirt or two :-)
Doug. You are a brave man. But that what I like about you. Sounds like youve had your eyebrows shaved before in your sleep so this trip should hold few surprises! Well make sure you get that T short done worry. Im not sure a F*cking & Punching T short will go down well with the wife on your return so we will **** it for you and you can have Pucking and Funching T short With your eyebrows it will all make sense to the missus when you exit the NZ red eye form LA with a Macca induced travel tranquilizer cocktail of tranquilizer and scotch. In a past life I racked up 250,000 Km of air travel in a single 12 month period. Im sure Sean does that regularly. The record that year was my mate at Qualcomm who managed 575,000. Damn!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?