Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:06 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
John,

Just got an aim solo, I need you to teach me how to use the dam thing............

Starting with loading Hamptons.........?
Ditto that - picked mine up today as well. First problem is finding a way to get the contents of the CD onto my new fangled laptop which only has flash memory and no CD drive.... (no its not an Apple!!)
Old 11-05-2013, 04:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Ditto that - picked mine up today as well. First problem is finding a way to get the contents of the CD onto my new fangled laptop which only has flash memory and no CD drive.... (no its not an Apple!!)
That may confound even Matt.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey mate, I'm the first to admit that this place is often like a chapter from Heart of Darkness (aka book basis for Apocalypse Now for those who don't know their dodgy Capola remakes). The Tron looks like a city of Angels compared to what goes on in the villages of this town after dark. John will tell you. Unless Im reading him wrong and hes a raving swinger Id reckon hed have a few scars from near misses he can tell you about over dinner.

John. Im still to find the right opportunity to put that T-shirt on and wander into the Anchor LOL!
Old 11-05-2013, 04:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I remember a night out in the Tron.

'The Bank' and the restaurant in the art gallery were the only places to go.

I met my missus at the restaurant about 12 years ago..........
What were you driving? Hope you didn't over invest like Dave. He could have been a wealthy man if he'd taken that 28K and put it somewhere else. Expensive missus!
Old 11-05-2013, 04:47 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

20th anniversary Targa is bound to be a special event. Remember the 15th anniversary was a 6 day event and we are now down to 4 days from 5 previously. Now that was a marathon and a few cars bit the dust on the last day - either from driver fatigue or mechanical fatigue.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Hey mate, I'm the first to admit that this place is often like a chapter from Heart of Darkness (aka book basis for Apocalypse Now for those who don't know their dodgy Capola remakes). The Tron looks like a city of Angels compared to what goes on in the villages of this town after dark. John will tell you. Unless Im reading him wrong and hes a raving swinger Id reckon hed have a few scars from near misses he can tell you about over dinner. John. Im still to find the right opportunity to put that T-shirt on and wander into the Anchor LOL!
I remember telling you about 10 years ago about my time in Vanuatu. Evidently I didn't put you off!

One month sticks in my mind. I was promoted to Deputy General Manager in early 1998. Got a call two days in to say that the bank handyman was dead in the kitchen. Had to deal with the island burial process. No nice undertaker. Remember giving the family $300 to buy a bullock to feed the mourners. The family were very grateful. Taught me a lesson about what's important in life.

Later that month we had two cyclones. Bank house was flooded both times. Immediately following that there were riots over politicians stealing from the compulsory super fund. The riots stopped after 3 days. The booze had run out and if was raining. They fixed the protests by liquidating the fund. The locals went on a spending spree. We had a banking liquidity crisis followed by a fx crisis.

What a month. It was never just sitting under a coconut tree. There was always something crazy going on.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Graeme. 5 days is perfect IMO. However the economy wont allow it I suspect.

John. Yeah, I should have listened! Or maybe you were being too polite. VNPF riots. Heard about those, but not the Vatu & FX crisis that ensued! You really packed a bit of chaos in that month.

You get exposed to death out here much more than back home. That is for sure. In my line of work Ive come cross a few situations where custom owners have died during a transaction and Ive had to obtain a death cert. Ive seen dozens of them over the years. They all say the same thing for cause of death = "heart stopped". I guess its accurate enough when you have no ability to conduct an autopsy in Vanuatu! Im sure a few of the old French colonialists took advantage of that situation over the years!

Closest we got to a full scale riot was when some Tanese guy died and they blamed it on man Ambrym (Black Magic). We got out of town in time as the crowd came from Blacksands to Freshwota and proceeded to burn a few dozen houses to the ground. Place was on high alert which meant retail had their cyclone shutters down, Chinese store owners had their Katana's ready to be drawn and of course the French started loading their muskets. We had a couple of friends that got caught up in it, cars rocked, windows broken, very scary for them.

People don't believe you when you tell them some of the stories like you are making it up. Wait till I write the book LOL!
Old 11-05-2013, 06:02 AM
mjg
Pro

Pete and Paul, toss the CD in the bin. Download the latest versions of Race Studio, GPS Manager, and the Solo firmware from here: http://www.aimsports.com/software/

Install them all. Update the Solo. Start GPS manager with the Solo connected and you can move tracks back and forth between the Solo and your PC. For simplicity, I deleted everything from the Solo and then transferred just the NZ tracks over, but you don't have to do that. After updating the Solo's firmware, start Race Analysis, go to Device Configuration, select "Solo DL" (I know, it's not a DL), then enable the three ACC_# channels and set the sampling frequency to 20Hz. Transmit that config to the Solo. Now you should be ready to rock.

That 997.1 GT3 is a nice colour. Would require a lot of extra money spent to get it driving as nicely (on track) as my 996.2, I think.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:03 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Pete and Paul, toss the CD in the bin. Download the latest versions of Race Studio, GPS Manager, and the Solo firmware from here: http://www.aimsports.com/software/

Install them all. Update the Solo. Start GPS manager with the Solo connected and you can move tracks back and forth between the Solo and your PC. For simplicity, I deleted everything from the Solo and then transferred just the NZ tracks over, but you don't have to do that. After updating the Solo's firmware, start Race Analysis, go to Device Configuration, select "Solo DL" (I know, it's not a DL), then enable the three ACC_# channels and set the sampling frequency to 20Hz. Transmit that config to the Solo. Now you should be ready to rock.
Thanks Matt - clear, precise and concise! Even Paul will be able to follow...
Old 11-05-2013, 03:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Matt, did you save tracks with the correct start finish for new Puke and Taupo? Also where would we get highlands data ?
Old 11-05-2013, 04:06 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
Matt, did you save tracks with the correct start finish for new Puke and Taupo? Also where would we get highlands data ?
I haven't yet. I worked out how to edit the maps in GPS Manager, but not how to modify the start/finish for the existing data, and decided I'd rather keep things consistent for now.

I assume we'll have to generate our own map for Highlands, unless someone submits it to AIM's database in the meantime. I just updated the database (in GPS Manager, Options->Import from website) and it's not showing up yet. Not too surprising as there's not a lot of access to that track.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:09 PM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Mate. As most on here know Im a huge fan of FDMotorsports in California and get 99% of my parts these days from them. they are cheaper than Sunset, have friendly shipping and invoice. I think quite a few of teh guys on here are now using them and can attest to their service. Quite honestly if someone has to bust a chair to give you some used motor parts they will probabluy charge you a day light robbery. Best check with Mark. His email is below, Mark & Darin are the owners and are Rennlist sponsors. They both own 993. Cool cats very helpful say I sent you and youll be looked after...

fdmotorsports@comcast.net
Hi Mark

Thanks for that.........if no response down here then I'll definitely follow up with FDMotorsports.

Cheers
Bob
Old 11-05-2013, 04:12 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Thanks Matt - clear, precise and concise! Even Paul will be able to follow...
Tell us how you get on. I'd like to bring my software to the track but my laptop is ancient so a light weight solid state one would be a good upgrade.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. You can `run the software on a macbook Air using Parralels. Works for me no problem.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John. You can `run the software on a macbook Air using Parralels. Works for me no problem.
My wife is joined at the hip to her MacBook Air. I'm looking for something cheap and generic for this purpose. I will use the laptop for MS Money and AIM only.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?