Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 04:30 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Wish I had logged in and seen that this was on. Should really join the club...

Macca, completely agree. Everything about the 991TTS would make it an amazing drive and a step above my car, but I can't help but think they went wrong somewhere with the design. The GT3 is the pick of the 991's for sure!
Old 12-08-2013, 04:41 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Spoke to a few people today, and finally to Steve. Car was built by him and is capable of ~1:14 at HD. Pity, or should I say lucky, that it isn't road registered.
Yeah, I had seen it in his photo galleries. No mistaking the colour scheme http://www.europacific.co.nz/Gallery...4_Racecar.html
Old 12-08-2013, 04:43 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the guy in red at the end of the tug of war line just bought it.
He is a sales man at Giltrap
Old 12-08-2013, 04:46 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Yeah, I had seen it in his photo galleries. No mistaking the colour scheme http://www.europacific.co.nz/Gallery...4_Racecar.html
Seems like reasonable value. I can't imagine you could build to that level for that price.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mmmm. Jake I saw a 991 T not S at the factory yesterday. Didn't have the ceramics centre locks or LED headlights but couldn't help but think the used 997.2. TTS close by to it on the showroom floor was a more cohesive design and looked more asthetically apealling. The rear is now so wide the rear wings are almost square and its lost some of its trademark curves. The new GT3 uses the wider body as standard but still retains the bulbourus rear quarter look.

Doug those 918s do look strange. I prefered the look of the xenons on the early prototypes and have heard others express same. My experience of domestic led is the are cheaper to run out the light is of no better quality than 12v halogen. In fact I prefer halogen with reflector. Interestingly I had led on the order till just before build when I finally saw real life pics on the TTS I chickened out and cancelled using the 2800 euro for buckets and clubsport spec which I'm glad I did!

Lovely weather here today and looking good for the week ahead and finally starting our roadtrip once all in order. Pics will follow.

Doug it has 2 cup holders ibtegrated under alloy trim above glovebox and very nicely designed they are to! I'm sick of not having them in 993 for water etc. Also has 4 power sockets! Plent of power for todays appliances!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:49 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Spoke to a few people today, and finally to Steve. Car was built by him and is capable of ~1:14 at HD. Pity, or should I say lucky, that it isn't road registered.
I've had a good look at this car. It was being built about the same time as mine. Very well put together and should be a good track toy.

14s would be peddling that thing!
Old 12-08-2013, 03:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
I've had a good look at this car. It was being built about the same time as mine. Very well put together and should be a good track toy. 14s would be peddling that thing!
Might have to ask Steve for 'AIM' evidence

Very tempted but it's a year or two early for me.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:20 PM
PHG
Racer

I think the guy in red at the end of the tug of war line just bought it.
thats Andrew from Giltraps... salesman to the stars
Old 12-08-2013, 04:36 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Have any of you guys run the Hankook V12's? Reviews are favorable and price point is very good (especially for a local supplier). http://tyresales.co.nz/index.php?rou...ory&path=59_78
Old 12-08-2013, 04:47 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
I've had a good look at this car. It was being built about the same time as mine. Very well put together and should be a good track toy.

14s would be peddling that thing!
The Christchurch car and Steve's gulf 964 were both Bridgestone Porsche race series cars, ex Alistair Taylor and Jeff Lowrey. Steve did a good job of getting them both looking and running well, definitely both 1:14 cars at Hampton Downs in the right hands.

Having said that, not quite what I'm looking for. Too track focused and not road registered, nice car though .
Old 12-08-2013, 05:05 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Have any of you guys run the Hankook V12's? Reviews are favorable and price point is very good (especially for a local supplier). http://tyresales.co.nz/index.php?rou...ory&path=59_78
Jake, love my Hankook Z221 but know next to nothing about their road compounds. There was a semi narky posting on the 996 Turbo board about the V12 being a poor choice for spirited driving. I use N rated Michelins on my turbo and love them. Not that much more to bring those in from the US or UK. You'll be more comfortable on the track if you know what's holding you to the track. Very progressive tyre.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:07 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
The Christchurch car and Steve's gulf 964 were both Bridgestone Porsche race series cars, ex Alistair Taylor and Jeff Lowrey. Steve did a good job of getting them both looking and running well, definitely both 1:14 cars at Hampton Downs in the right hands. Having said that, not quite what I'm looking for. Too track focused and not road registered, nice car though .
Can these be road registered? I'm not up for the full race effort of trailering etc but even a nasty road ride would be bearable for the trip to HD.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:34 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Can these be road registered? I'm not up for the full race effort of trailering etc but even a nasty road ride would be bearable for the trip to HD.
They can be road registered, the Frank Denton red 964RS that you posted a photo of was recently road registered again so Frank can drive it to race meetings, real old school. He drives it to Manfield and Taupo, so very keen! I know he had to put back in lights etc., but I don't know whether it was a registration on hold scenario.

Steve did the Christchurch car so will know what it would take to road register but I would guess its not a small undertaking and at the end of it you would have added back weight which would possibly mean it is no longer a 1:14 HD car.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:47 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Seems like reasonable value. I can't imagine you could build to that level for that price.
Its probably Porsche racers that create the expectation that car improvements don't add much, if any, value to the sale price of a car. Within reason the value of a race car doesn't change much almost regardless of how much you spend on them and most race cars have reasonable money spent on them because most people want to have a chance of being competitive when racing. The general principle I've used with race cars is to buy the best one you can as it will have had a lot more money spent on it, and it won't cost much more, than an average one.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:02 PM
O2GO
Drifting

While I think of it, if anyone on the board is thinking of selling an air cooled p-car (heaven forbid) please let us know here first.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?