Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 07:48 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Must be Spring. Cars going in all directions. I understand Ray finally found a tipo 964 for his wife, which was released after the owner purchased the Red C4 sold on TM. I have more data points than I know what to do with.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Must be Spring. Cars going in all directions. I understand Ray finally found a tipo 964 for his wife, which was released after the owner purchased the Red C4 sold on TM. I have more data points than I know what to do with.
I'm glad Ray got sorted out but what a nightmare aye. Sell a perfectly sorted long ownership 964 to want to repurchase it later on an upward market - hope it didn't hurt him financially too much. I'm glad I don't have any history of regretting a sale! Le s hope that doesn't change!
Old 11-05-2016, 10:35 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
I'm glad Ray got sorted out but what a nightmare aye. Sell a perfectly sorted long ownership 964 to want to repurchase it later on an upward market - hope it didn't hurt him financially too much. I'm glad I don't have any history of regretting a sale! Le s hope that doesn't change!
Yes, I was told that the Red Tipo previously owned had had a small accident and Profile did a more extensive respray at the same time as fixing that. Some times people have an aversion to repaired cars and maybe that's why it was sold. It was replaced with a 997, but apparently Rays wife wanted her old car back. The new owner would only sell it back if Ray sourced a Manual 964, hence the FB request a few months back. Now she has Devon's car as he has the Ex TM C4. So we have data points on 4 tipos and 3 C4s. All coupes.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes, I was told that the Red Tipo previously owned had had a small accident and Profile did a more extensive respray at the same time as fixing that. Some times people have an aversion to repaired cars and maybe that's why it was sold. It was replaced with a 997, but apparently Rays wife wanted her old car back. The new owner would only sell it back if Ray sourced a Manual 964, hence the FB request a few months back. Now she has Devon's car as he has the Ex TM C4. So we have data points on 4 tipos and 3 C4s. All coupes.
Great story. Good that everyone is happy in the end! Scott Hearns story over on the Early 911 FB page, about his 30!year ownership of his old 911 is quite amazing too. Probably the most touching ownership story I've heard locally for a long time...
Old 11-06-2016, 01:32 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Paul. My experience of the NZ market is that they like LHD cars even less than LHD-RHD conversions. Sorry but thats just how it goes. Years ago I worked 4 doors down from old Bunces Motors and I remember talking to the old fella about this. He said it was madness they are forced to convert all these cars just to beable to sell them when in LHD form they are superior to what they are converted, but that Joe Blow would always spend 20K more on a late model converted muscle car than a left hooker. I dont know if thats still the case today but I would suspect so.

If Davids car is worth 130K north today then Lucky Dave. But I agree with Pel. The market wants originality over 100K. NZ new is nice, matching numbers better, RHD best.
I'm loving the LHD! Makes it different which as you would remember was the purpose of the exercise - maximum 911 weirdness and it certainly is that.
In terms of value, who knows and it is not a consideration I think about when back road blasting or track work or I'd never do it. The value consideration for me is purely in what it would cost these days to replicate if I lost it. It is a new package, and that costs. When I signed up for it three long years ago it was with the knowledge that I was overcapitalising by about $30k.....and I have no problems if the market goes back that way, because then I can have a 930 turbo too!
Old 11-06-2016, 01:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good way to look at it David. I used same philosophy with 993. For the last decade and 200k+ km LHD has been my everyday reality. Whilst I dont find the novelty that exists for you in the format, I do prefer LHD to RHD in many cars including 911. Jamies 993 is a good example. Seating position is better (pedals) and all the controls for things such as fuel flap etc more natural. Id have no qualms owning one in NZ, but I know its not a view widely shared.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:10 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Great story. Good that everyone is happy in the end! Scott Hearns story over on the Early 911 FB page, about his 30!year ownership of his old 911 is quite amazing too. Probably the most touching ownership story I've heard locally for a long time...
On FB

Here's your chance to own a supercar !!

My wife, whose name should be Mary as she is quite contrary, has decided she really wants a 1991 964 as a daily driver. We sold her 1991 964 a year ago because she wanted to drive a 997.
What the !!! !@#$%$%.

This Porsche 997 Gen II Carrera S has only just done 40,000kms, is in most excellent condition, and would suit a new car buyer at a fraction of a new car price...

The plate is not for sale, in case she changes her mind next year !!
Old 11-06-2016, 02:49 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Good way to look at it David. I used same philosophy with 993. For the last decade and 200k+ km LHD has been my everyday reality. Whilst I dont find the novelty that exists for you in the format, I do prefer LHD to RHD in many cars including 911. Jamies 993 is a good example. Seating position is better (pedals) and all the controls for things such as fuel flap etc more natural. Id have no qualms owning one in NZ, but I know its not a view widely shared.
If identical left and right cars were sitting there at Steve's, I'd no doubt have chosen the right. But that was not a choice and went with left with no regrets. The first month or so it was a novelty but now it is just natural and I don't even think about it any more. I even have gotten used to turning up at the left door and not the right by mistake!
The driving position is defo better on the left in a 911, probably something to do with the accelerator not vying for space with the wheel well.
Still to do, is to get a right hand chrome flag mirror so I can see out that side. Fine while driving but pulling out of parallel parking spaces Is the issue.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
If identical left and right cars were sitting there at Steve's, I'd no doubt have chosen the right. But that was not a choice and went with left with no regrets. The first month or so it was a novelty but now it is just natural and I don't even think about it any more. I even have gotten used to turning up at the left door and not the right by mistake!
The driving position is defo better on the left in a 911, probably something to do with the accelerator not vying for space with the wheel well.
Still to do, is to get a right hand chrome flag mirror so I can see out that side. Fine while driving but pulling out of parallel parking spaces Is the issue.
Its funny David, our biggest issue switching constantly between LHD and RHD is knowing which side of the car to get into! For this very reason we do not have window tints on any of our vehicles.

A few nights ago I spent some time explaining to the dealer why I did not want the window tints ordered on my Alfa QV. Its effectively a free option!

Apart from the obvious issue above, I cant see the point in spending almost $$$$ on carbon backed Sparco sport seats option if I cannot enjoy the visual appeal from them as I get into the car (with 3/4 tinting you do not see the seat backs at all as you approach the car - same reasoning I used for the GT3 and never regretted it). Furthermore I just think cars with 3/4 tint look odd - if you could tint all windows then maybe but half of them doesn't look right to me. I digress...

With the 911 the car was specifically designed LHD and was never fully translated to RHD due to cost. It makes a bigger difference on this car than most. Its a shame Kiwis are generally not educated in LHD as it could make the market more interesting.

In Japan Porsche import 65% LHD and 35% RHD and are allowed to register both new. LHD is the enthusiasts choice.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:54 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great car Pel and a very fair deal. These are all about the engine as you say. Is that an original front bumper or a different design?
Original bumper, cup splitter, mesh inserts to stop the leaves.

Unattainable & hype had caused me to not watch anything on the 911R, until last night. I quite like the Aston too!

Old 11-06-2016, 04:41 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Time for you to post an updated 964 price guide??
Old 11-06-2016, 04:49 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Looks like Max has got the message on the C2, pricing is now $79K.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:53 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Pel - further to our conversation, looks like others have cottoned on to the ability to land a new 991.2 for circa $160-170K (depending on spec).

Here is a new 991.2 being flipped for about 70K less than a kiwi one. If you can live with the spec, this would be hard to pass if you where a new car buyer.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...1196646097.htm

991's (non GT) must be in for some heavy deprecation with this.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:11 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Time for you to post an updated 964 price guide??
Asia new:
Tipo Coupe ~ $58,000
C4 Coupe ~ $73,000
C2 Coupe ~ $85,000
NZ New add $5,000
UK new deduct $5,000
Cab deduct $10,000
Targa deduct $5,000
Sports suspension add $5,000.
LHD deduct $5,000.

The above assumes:
Good paint job - absolutely no rust
Good wheels - no rim scrapes
Exterior plastic in good shape including lights.
Maintenance up to date, everything works except air con.
No value in engine / box rebuild unless higher mileage
Old 11-06-2016, 05:17 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep it will be tempting, hopefully it moves fast, I still like idea of speccing myself and waiting, one day...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?