Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 12:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^Good plan. Anyone want to buy a 996 GT3?
Old 11-04-2016, 12:46 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha not yet, Still working with Joseph
Old 11-04-2016, 02:30 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
WRX are legendary cars that Subaru seems to have softened up a bit much over time, perhaps lost touch whilst still trading off the badge.

Looks like the seller for this yellow hotrod may getting keen, considering a 964 C4 is 75k plus, this at 80k looks like fun, you need to like yellow though.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...1189380092.htm

Obviously buyers don't see value in hot roads currently, perception is untampered cars are depreciation proof, proven commodities, over an actual driving experience. At 75k plus, buyers want an untampered car.

Everyone on RL couldn't give a rats what their air cooled car is worth, that's the way it should be, evidenced by the use they get, however I suspect a large part of the wider air cooled community does, people won't sell due to fear of not getting into another one, I very rarely hear "I won't sell because it's too much fun to drive"
I think the LHD to RHD conversion is the reason Pel.

That particular car will never be original and I agree would be a lot of fun. But the market really punishes LHD to RHD conversion cars, a lot of people in the know have told me to steer clear of them and I guess the reason this one hasn't sold.

Not being a mechanical person, I have no idea - sometimes ignorance is bliss - just do it I say.........

Probably as fast as a 6GT3 in a straight line.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:33 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
You are spot on. But its madness. That yellow car is a looker and with the engine transplant a goer too and a screaming bargain if can be had for 85K. Im not a collector or a bonnet polisher so maybe I see things different but as you say the market pays for cherished cars that will likely rarely ever turn a wheel in the future. That said my 993 was a bit of a hot rod and it did sell top of market, so there are some people out there (admittedly not many) that value these things...
Macca - further to my earlier post, 99% of your mods where bolt on and your car could be converted to stock within 48hrs as you had all the bits.

You where fundamentally selling a kiwi new car with lowish miles and no stories, that came with an easy $20K in bits if you wanted to flog them off on ebay or RL.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:51 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

double post
Old 11-04-2016, 02:52 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Dave and I where talking about the yellow car on our Raglan run the other day.

If Dave's car is circa $130-150K, we where thinking the sweet spot for this one would be circa $80k - you would have a $50K war-chest to convert back to LHD, correctly retro detail an interior and repaint any cool 70's safety colour or make it white and 73 RS Carrera graphics it and still break even.

The car would be an eye-popping weapon and you would be break-even

These take my fancy...........
Attached Images   
Old 11-04-2016, 03:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Macca - further to my earlier post, 99% of your mods where bolt on and your car could be converted to stock within 48hrs as you had all the bits.

You where fundamentally selling a kiwi new car with lowish miles and no stories, that came with an easy $20K in bits if you wanted to flog them off on ebay or RL.
True, True, Buba. Not sure about the 48 hrs. I think I must have spent 40K in labour having that lot fitted! I think I own a few greasy square feet of the CCS workshop by now.

My car care kit for the GT3 comprises of three things only. Given every-time it gets driven hard it comes back with tar, soot and tyre marble marks these amount to:

Stage 1). Citrus type cleaner - $7 for 500ml from TM (De-solv-it is the best known but most expensive product - but the fact is most citrus based cleaning products do the same job).

Stage 2). Car wash soap - $30 buys you 5L of the NZ made XT88 car wash formulation. It means you can use it liberally in the Nisflisk pressure washer foam bottle attachment without concern.

Stage 3)
. Dragons Breath wheel cleaner. Buy it 1L for $40 and spray it on.

Stage 4). Sponge and bucket - two bucket two sponge (one for wheels).

Stage 5). Chamois. Good leather quality large chamois is indispensable

That lot costs about $100 and lasts a year and say 20 washes. Every 18 months or so the car gets the full treatment by OCD. To be perfectly honest with a car that sees 10 track days a year theres no point with $200 wax - the citrus cleaner needed to remove the tyre marble and tar marks from the car would strip it all away in an instant. I own a couple of high quality microfiber cloths (the ones that dont leave lint) to use for the glass inside etc.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. My experience of the NZ market is that they like LHD cars even less than LHD-RHD conversions. Sorry but thats just how it goes. Years ago I worked 4 doors down from old Bunces Motors and I remember talking to the old fella about this. He said it was madness they are forced to convert all these cars just to beable to sell them when in LHD form they are superior to what they are converted, but that Joe Blow would always spend 20K more on a late model converted muscle car than a left hooker. I dont know if thats still the case today but I would suspect so.

If Davids car is worth 130K north today then Lucky Dave. But I agree with Pel. The market wants originality over 100K. NZ new is nice, matching numbers better, RHD best.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:40 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. My experience of the NZ market is that they like LHD cars even less than LHD-RHD conversions. Sorry but thats just how it goes. Years ago I worked 4 doors down from old Bunces Motors and I remember talking to the old fella about this. He said it was madness they are forced to convert all these cars just to beable to sell them when in LHD form they are superior to what they are converted, but that Joe Blow would always spend 20K more on a late model converted muscle car than a left hooker. I dont know if thats still the case today but I would suspect so.

If Davids car is worth 130K north today then Lucky Dave. But I agree with Pel. The market wants originality over 100K. NZ new is nice, matching numbers better, RHD best.
Totally agreed - this is why I buy NZ new cars with providence where possible. To some this means nothing, but I like knowing that Simon Carnachan was the first owner of Scarlett and Paul Kelly the first owner of the 6GT3. Most people here will know who these people are.

These days you only need to find $200-300 a week to own a new Porsche, 20 or more years ago, they cost more than a house and owners tended to be more well known people.

Not sure I am prepared to stump up $300K for the 911T's providence yet though. Might just buy the yellow one and a GT4 with the savings........

Edit - I note the Aussies are hard on LHD-RHD conversions too, they tend to sell for 30% less. I would argue LHD/RHD is the same value for an investment grade car now (long hood/RS etc). Though most of us would prefer a RHD car here they are international cars now.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^ Yip. Agreed.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:40 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Nothing like a deadline to keep things on the move. I'll focus on the things that make the car mobile again (rear suspension, alignment and drivers window) plus the door cards. The upholsterer has gone quiet which is rarely a good sign so it will be half completed. Still, if we can show the paint etc at their best that will help. Evening of 2/3? I'm buying the Karcher foam gun attachment this weekend if I can find it. The FJ6 https://www.kaercher.com/nz/accessor...-26431470.html ?
Sounds good, John. If we get an early enough start on the first night wash, clay and dry before dark. Then should be able to mask up and get through the greater part of the correction the first evening. Maybe even finish correction with 2 machines going. Second night finishing correction, maybe jewel polish and coat of sealant. We Maybe second, time permitting or layer a wax over the top of the sealant to make it pop - this will require leaving the sealant overnight to cure so prob wont have the time for that.

I like to give the car a rinse to wash away the polish and sealant residue. Its one of the great failings of car detailers. They think they have finished the job yet your look around the door jams, sun roof, etc and there is a fine white powder. We'll see how bad it is and how much time we have

Touching up the plastic trim, wheels and dressing the tires should take long

I have all the pads and product we need. I have some lights on stands - i forget what you have in the garage.

I've never used the Karcher accessory. I have a foam lance similar to the following, albeit a bit jury rigged - but it works

https://unitedcarcare.co.nz/product/snow-lance-karcher/
Old 11-04-2016, 05:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Sounds good, John. If we get an early enough start on the first night wash, clay and dry before dark. Then should be able to mask up and get through the greater part of the correction the first evening. Maybe even finish correction with 2 machines going. Second night finishing correction, maybe jewel polish and coat of sealant. We Maybe second, time permitting or layer a wax over the top of the sealant to make it pop - this will require leaving the sealant overnight to cure so prob wont have the time for that. I like to give the car a rinse to wash away the polish and sealant residue. Its one of the great failings of car detailers. They think they have finished the job yet your look around the door jams, sun roof, etc and there is a fine white powder. We'll see how bad it is and how much time we have Touching up the plastic trim, wheels and dressing the tires should take long I have all the pads and product we need. I have some lights on stands - i forget what you have in the garage. I've never used the Karcher accessory. I have a foam lance similar to the following, albeit a bit jury rigged - but it works https://unitedcarcare.co.nz/product/snow-lance-karcher/
I came away with $400 of product after that training session, clay bars, compounds, coatings etc, so no need to use all of your stuff. The most important part is the knowledge between your ears!
Old 11-05-2016, 03:26 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Forgot to mention it here;
The SC is for the chop.
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2016, 06:36 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First time two back to back for sale ad's have come up here.

My 996.2 GT3 will hit TM after Final Touch has given it a once over (next week), will be asking what I purchased it for.

NZ New 90kms, black.
996 GT3 Buckets (replicas)
Half cage
Titanium Exhaust
Cup car kevlar rear bumper
OMP 997 cup wheel

Comes with original rear bumper, exhaust, comfort seats, steering wheel, second set of wheels. Can come with "GT3MK2" plates if desired.

It's not a 9/10 mint road car, if you want one of them they are 135k. But if someones after a track day car, it's awesome, I will miss that engine.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Pel; 11-05-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Great car Pel and a very fair deal. These are all about the engine as you say. Is that an original front bumper or a different design?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?