Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 08:34 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
The best place to buy Hankook tyres from is the Porsche Club as Hankook sponsor the club. You get the same price and the club gets 10% back from Hankook (or Value Tyres, the importer) on all purchases as a form of sponsorship.
How do you place orders via the club and how do they get delivered? Still need someone to fit and balance.

Peter, did the Endless man have ideas on how to fix the brake shudder?
No but interestingly it decreased again over the following 2 sessions. It's a strange phenomenon - absolutely none on the run out to HD in the morning. Nothing at all through any of the morning exercises which were mostly hard braking into the box. First indication was going out with you in the first session in the pm when it was suddenly at its worst and then it gradually decreased over the last couple of sessions such that I didn't really notice it at the end. Am going out for a blast this afternoon and will see how it feels. Seems to be low pressure braking which goes away with hard brake application.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:42 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I love that programme - Hank is my hero.
LOL - so true. It can be wrong on so many levels but I love that show!

Originally Posted by Macca
Thinking late 2014 for the USA trip possibly 2015....already in discussions with Skip Barber school...
Macca - late 2014 would be a real stretch for me with 2 weeks booked for the SITT. Although Kim will probably come down for a few days in QT I need to ration the rest of the hols in the year for the kids.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S

How do you place orders via the club and how do they get delivered? Still need someone to fit and balance..
Great to help the Club, but those are good questions. The cost at Mega was $1,587 all up, fitted and balanced. My Michelin's ex UK cost $125 to fit in Newmarket, so the Club price would have to be $1,462 at most to make it work.

The other factor is care. Brian @ Mega did a careful survey of the Fuchs before he started. He did the fitting himself and then inspected afterwards, pointing out that they were unscratched. Can't fault his service.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Great to help the Club, but those are good questions. The cost at Mega was $1,587 all up, fitted and balanced. My Michelin's ex UK cost $125 to fit in Newmarket, so the Club price would have to be $1,462 at most to make it work.

The other factor is care. Brian @ Mega did a careful survey of the Fuchs before he started. He did the fitting himself and then inspected afterwards, pointing out that they were unscratched. Can't fault his service.
I agree, Brian's a top fellow. The PCNZ thing needs to be better communicated to members. Maybe one day we can get a RSG group discount. As we grow we will sure use enough of these tyres...

Pete. Dates noted. I think in reality this will be a July 2015 trip as we have left it too late to get good slots only 12 months out....
Old 06-29-2013, 11:39 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I know it's a wide open question depending on compound and driving style, but what would be the expected life of a set of tarmac tyres like the Hankooks be on a 911?
Old 06-29-2013, 11:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Petes probably our best answer for that given hes been running 221s for around 3 sessions now...
Old 06-30-2013, 04:13 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by John McM
- size 225 45 17 91w c70 soft $371.00 each inc gst
- size 255 40 17 94w c70 soft $415.00 each inc gst

Prices are fitted and balanced.
I just checked the Porsche Club rates which last season were as follows:

235/45R17W - $382.95 incl GST
255/40ZR17W - $396.98 incl GST

These were the smallest sizes used in the race series. Add another 2.5% if paying by credit card.

You fill out the attached form and send it to Value Tyres who send the tyres to wherever you specify.

Looks like by the time you add the credit card fee the prices are about the same, but if you have to pay fitting and balancing on top of that they are more expensive.
Attached Images
Old 06-30-2013, 04:16 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by peterC2S
How do you place orders via the club and how do they get delivered? Still need someone to fit and balance.

No but interestingly it decreased again over the following 2 sessions. It's a strange phenomenon - absolutely none on the run out to HD in the morning. Nothing at all through any of the morning exercises which were mostly hard braking into the box. First indication was going out with you in the first session in the pm when it was suddenly at its worst and then it gradually decreased over the last couple of sessions such that I didn't really notice it at the end. Am going out for a blast this afternoon and will see how it feels. Seems to be low pressure braking which goes away with hard brake application.
Hopefully they were good today, sounds frustrating!
Old 06-30-2013, 04:20 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Maxem
I know it's a wide open question depending on compound and driving style, but what would be the expected life of a set of tarmac tyres like the Hankooks be on a 911?
I know some guys in 944S2's were getting a whole season out of the 221's and they are pushing it harder than we would at an RSG track day, so they last pretty well.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:57 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This does sound consistent with pad material build up on discs. it doesn't happen if the braking is hard and the discs hot. Usually happens with harder more aggressive pads operating out of temp range on the cold side. I have had this problem on my targa car for the last 2 years. cooling ducts are good for actual stages but keep brakes too cold just cruising around. So I have just managed to get my guys to design and fabricate an in car controlled flap to block and unblock the cooling ducts. Haven't tried it in anger yet...
Old 06-30-2013, 06:06 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I know some guys in 944S2's were getting a whole season out of the 221's and they are pushing it harder than we would at an RSG track day, so they last pretty well.
Thanks, I was wondering whether to stock up on another set while the deal was good. Might leave it for now though.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:25 AM
NZ 911
Advanced

Originally Posted by mjg
Yes please!

I'm planning to visit the Nurburgring later this year and rent a car for a track/tourist day of lapping. If anyone has visited already and has advice, let me know!
Matt, I spent a few days at the Ring with the family at the end of September 2010. Arrived during a VLN race and did the tourist laps the following day and looked around the final day - before moving on to Lego Land!

Rented a Suzuki Swift from Rent Race Car. Reasons for going with the Swift (half cage, race seats, DOT R tyres, suspension and brake upgrades) were experience with racing and rallying FWD so familiar with handling characteristics, a 5,000 Euro insurance excess (versus from memory 25,000 for a 911 and 50,000 for a GT3) and last but not least, nobody expects you to go fast in a Swift! Did it on the arrive, drive and drop it back basis where they gave me a pre-paid toll card and I took the car back without the need to refuel it.

Spent heaps of time on You Tube learning the track. Search 993/GT3 and Nurburgring and you will be able to watch footage from now till you leave. This really helped me. First lap I drove it like a fast familiar road. By lap 4 we (then 9 year old son was along for the ride) we were well under 10 minutes and had picked off a few 911s and the like along the way. This was pushing but below the pace where there was the likelihood of a big moment.

We picked up the car at 8.00am and went straight to the track. It didn't start to get busy till late morning. Traffic is massively varied. Heaps of GT3s mixed with a few Lambos and Ferraris mixed in with full sized tour buses. Rego plates from all round Europe. Good advice given to me was keep right, keep an eye on your mirrors and stay off the kerbs - especially if it is damp or wet. You will be amazed at how many cars you pass.

I am hoping to join the PCNZ factory/Le Mans tour next year. If I do, more Nurburgring laps will definitely be on the agenda while I am there.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:26 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
No not yet sorry. As soon as I have it I'll post it up here. I want to chase it up but also don't want to bug him as he's doing it as a favour. If he hasn't come back soon I'll flick him a message. He'll be waiting on OZ for sure to reply as he's pretty prompt at his end.
Hi guys,

Macca emailed me to see if I had heard back from my wheel guy. Sorry I havent responded. Things been busy at both my jobs

Below is the message I received from my guy...

"Oz have no stock of these at present and can't give us a production date. They are the world's biggest Muppets when it comes to enquiries! Asked about a set of something else for a diff car last year. In the time it took to get back to custy, confirm sale and then order them they had sold to another customer. Sorry for the muck around, will let you know as soon as we get dates for production"

So sorry that it hasn't come to anything yet. It won't be my guy as he's always come through for me. I'll give him a call tomorrow and see what other options he can reliably offer.

John McM: PM me what I need to do to fix you up for the banners. Sorry, haven't had a lot of RL time lately.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:32 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fantastic day yesterday, perfect weather and I learnt a lot. I've now got a better line for turns 2 and 3, and I've found I've been a complete girl's blouse on turn 1. (No doubt a leftover from the oops I had there a couple of years ago). I've also got a better appreciation for double-apexing the sweeper, although I'm not sure I'm converted just yet.

Doug, your name was definitely on the registrations list, so not sure what happened there?

Peter, you were already pretty damn good, so you must be bloody amazing now if you were the most improved driver Well done.

Paul, mate I felt sorry for you... you had the twitchy, slightly desperate look of an addict watching everyone else get stuck in! You'll be out there again soon enough though.

Chris, really appreciate your instruction and also for taking me out in your race car. It certainly put things into perspective!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ 911
Matt, I spent a few days at the Ring with the family at the end of September 2010. Arrived during a VLN race and did the tourist laps the following day and looked around the final day - before moving on to Lego Land!

Rented a Suzuki Swift from Rent Race Car. Reasons for going with the Swift (half cage, race seats, DOT R tyres, suspension and brake upgrades) were experience with racing and rallying FWD so familiar with handling characteristics, a 5,000 Euro insurance excess (versus from memory 25,000 for a 911 and 50,000 for a GT3) and last but not least, nobody expects you to go fast in a Swift! Did it on the arrive, drive and drop it back basis where they gave me a pre-paid toll card and I took the car back without the need to refuel it.

Spent heaps of time on You Tube learning the track. Search 993/GT3 and Nurburgring and you will be able to watch footage from now till you leave. This really helped me. First lap I drove it like a fast familiar road. By lap 4 we (then 9 year old son was along for the ride) we were well under 10 minutes and had picked off a few 911s and the like along the way. This was pushing but below the pace where there was the likelihood of a big moment.

We picked up the car at 8.00am and went straight to the track. It didn't start to get busy till late morning. Traffic is massively varied. Heaps of GT3s mixed with a few Lambos and Ferraris mixed in with full sized tour buses. Rego plates from all round Europe. Good advice given to me was keep right, keep an eye on your mirrors and stay off the kerbs - especially if it is damp or wet. You will be amazed at how many cars you pass.

I am hoping to join the PCNZ factory/Le Mans tour next year. If I do, more Nurburgring laps will definitely be on the agenda while I am there.
There is some good advice here IMHO!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?