Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:51 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Extinguisher now fitted. Its not quite square which offends my eye just a bit but the holes in the bracket are predrilled so I'm guessing may need to be re-drilled to square it up a bit. Probably a 'one day' job. Other things to note - passenger seat is now fully back and can't really move forward as the extinguisher is in fixed position. And there is an annoying rattle from the safety pin at the top - nothing a bit of loose cloth won't fix.

And the last remnants of orange at the corners have now been banished. Retained in case there's ever a need to return to stock.

Pretty sure seats and steering wheel will be the last things to do now - but will wait for Dave's stories before embarking on that one!
Attached Images    
Old 07-06-2013, 12:40 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up a bargain set of used Dunlop DZ03Gs courtesy Motorsport Services on TradeMe. I should be set for tyres for a few sessions now.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:12 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Extinguisher now fitted. Its not quite square which offends my eye just a bit but the holes in the bracket are predrilled so I'm guessing may need to be re-drilled to square it up a bit. Probably a 'one day' job. Other things to note - passenger seat is now fully back and can't really move forward as the extinguisher is in fixed position. And there is an annoying rattle from the safety pin at the top - nothing a bit of loose cloth won't fix.

And the last remnants of orange at the corners have now been banished. Retained in case there's ever a need to return to stock.

Pretty sure seats and steering wheel will be the last things to do now - but will wait for Dave's stories before embarking on that one!
Looking good. Now you're compliant. I'd have been p'd off if I'd not checked the regs and ended up with non compliant kit at an event.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Clear indicators look good. The pin will drive you mad. I used blue tack....
Old 07-06-2013, 03:48 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Todays update.
So I researched seats and installations, took advice and went to the shop who ended up doing the work. The advice was largely consistent between experts; a seat is OK as long as it mounts to the standard chassis mounts. Harnesses not an issue if using lap and diag on road. I am interested in this as I want it to be done properly and don't want any hassles. If it needed a cert I'd do that but apparantly not. I will research the clauses and carry these with me for reference for any roadside discussions I may have with the rozzers.
I was going to do it all myself but it was only going to take a few hours so I gave it to the pro's. Three days and 13.5 hours later, its done but I can't say I'm rapt with the job. In fairness, I did give them a bit of a tough job spec; fit two sets of harnesses, 1 seat (passengers later) and retain the lap and diagonal for road use.
The belt stork is seat mounted so that means a new seat stork mount is needed so we went for these in the tunnel. The stork bolts up to this and so does the eye for the harness clip. Works quite well if you have a race seat fitted. Had to get the seatbelt warning light sorted as well. Passenger side the same, but this is where it turned a bit bad. The eye and stationary stork kind of ate the leather on the seat when adjusting. I didn't find this out until last night as I was returning the passengers seat back to standard with the stork on the seat so that it works better until a race seat goes in there. It's not visible with seat in but it really bummed me off. The mount was the part that dropped away inside the tunnel when I unscrewed the eye and the stork. The main reason I left it with the pro's is that they could tack weld the backing plates on so they are always there. I have no welder or I would have done the job. The drivers side lap belt outer hooks up to an eye bolt that goes in the sill - same place as the lap and diag point. This works OK. The rear pair of belts hook up to (for now) the rear seat belt points. When I get the Heigo, this has a harness guide bar which will improve the belt angle from the shoulders. The rear mounts just had eyes screwed in. The crotch straps looked easy, just through the floor with 2 eyes ( 1 per strap) and a backing plate underneath. Easy to get to for unclipping. Passengers side different story, thats where the brain is so if I ever get that other seat it will be four point only. The spec was for no sliders but they managed to get one working - and I prefer that now. Had to lower the seat a bit to get comfy and am now about the same position as I was with road seat.
Dissapointments; 13.5 hours - we negotiated an amicable settlement but I didn't see the damage until last night. The workmanship is OK but the ripped seat will need a discussion. 13.5 hours for a few holes and Eye bolts, can't see the value here. Dings on console and scratched seat.....luckily not visible.
Upside - I'm sorted for position.
Lesson: just buy a bloody GT3 in the first place, its all been done for you.
Attached Images         
Old 07-06-2013, 03:53 AM
Maxem
Drifting

I swore years ago I'd give up lying under cars, but what the hell. Cup bypass pipe sounds pretty good.
Never seen the engine, a bit wet but not too bad. Will leave the undertray off for a while and see what drops
Attached Images  

Last edited by Maxem; 07-07-2013 at 03:53 AM. Reason: extra info
Old 07-06-2013, 04:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

David. Sorry to hear about the frustrations. Ive got my T shirt from damage letting race shops touch my car and now get CCS to do everything. At least their techs wear rubber gloves LOL!

I did do some research on this install for the 993 a few years ago, but for the Targa Tour I learnt they wont allow you to use a harness so I abandoned it. The solution I chose if I recall correctly used the eye made by Rennline which attaches to the Recaro seat side mounts (which are bolted down to the sliders). The factory make a small brcaket used on 964 and 993 RS which bolts under the sliders. The factory stork then attaches to this with the wire harness so the warning light doesnt illuminate. This way it moves with the seat and you have full retraction etc. Its part 20 below on the 964RS seat diagram. This is how I asked CCS to do mine and it works very well. You can almost use factory mounting points for everything using aftermarket fitting except the submarine belt. under the seat. I never got this far truth be told. I do know there is a relatively elegant solution available but believe it requires welding something to the floor under the seat....

Not sure any of this is useful now but may help someone else....
Attached Images      
Old 07-06-2013, 04:54 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Actually I was researching another option for mounting the two rear belts. If you have a NZ new 964 or 993 then they were fitted with a very unusual option. Only in Australia/NZ and Canada the 993/964 was fitted with rear anchor points for child seats. You can tell if you are was the correct one by seeing if it has the plastic covers on the rear shelf. If you pop them off behind you will find an approved child restraint mount. I was thinking would be a good point to position two eyelets although they may in reality be too close together. The factory rear belts bolt onto this same panel with three small bolts so I think the strength is there as Gemballa and Rooke were putting eyelets up there on the parcel shelf in the 90s for race harness (obviously with a reinforcing place under near. I never finished researching the project but have always tried to find solutions that dont touch/damage the factory fittings and thought this would be a good stealth install when you are finished you unclip your belts and put the plastic covers back over the eyelets...below you can see the gold coloured eyelets (held on with one bolt). Obviously needs some beefing up.
Attached Images     
Old 07-06-2013, 07:46 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
David. Sorry to hear about the frustrations. Ive got my T shirt from damage letting race shops touch my car and now get CCS to do everything. At least their techs wear rubber gloves LOL!

I did do some research on this install for the 993 a few years ago, but for the Targa Tour I learnt they wont allow you to use a harness so I abandoned it. The solution I chose if I recall correctly used the eye made by Rennline which attaches to the Recaro seat side mounts (which are bolted down to the sliders). The factory make a small brcaket used on 964 and 993 RS which bolts under the sliders. The factory stork then attaches to this with the wire harness so the warning light doesnt illuminate. This way it moves with the seat and you have full retraction etc. Its part 20 below on the 964RS seat diagram. This is how I asked CCS to do mine and it works very well. You can almost use factory mounting points for everything using aftermarket fitting except the submarine belt. under the seat. I never got this far truth be told. I do know there is a relatively elegant solution available but believe it requires welding something to the floor under the seat....

Not sure any of this is useful now but may help someone else....
thats certainly a nice solution. I saw those at Rennline and was going to make my own. Talking to the "pro's", they were adament that you can't fix to the seat. I went down the track of full MANZ compliance, although looking back, I don't intend to do any competition so didn't need to go as far. Lesson learned about a spec that is fit for purpose. When I do the passengers seat, I might go the Rennline way. I think I made it too hard for them to achieve a decent result.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yeah David. I got the MANZ book when I got my Clubsport license and realized right away the NZ rules would mean butchering the car. For example a half cage even an FIA one like the Heigo is unacceptable! Go figure. They want you to have one fabricated locally and welded in. I didnt get as far as working out whether you can bold the belt receptical to the deat but the factory Porsche seats are like that and the GT3 and 964/993RS bucket seats and Porsche factory competition bucket seats so go figure.

Like you I dont intend to do any MANZ competition events in this car that require full cage or harness so its not an issue. I do however want to do FIA international historic rally so I have been following those guidelines instead....
Old 07-06-2013, 08:46 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Lesson: just buy a bloody GT3 in the first place, its all been done for you.
If only it was that simple. Just spent part of the evening talking to a Cayman R owner. He totalled his previous Cayman on the Targa Tour and after lauding the R he said at times he yearns for the older cars.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

That wasnt Brent was it John? He totalled his Cayman S on the 2011 Targa Tour. His brother was driving....but he doesnt have anything older than 2010 in his fleet!
Old 07-06-2013, 02:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
That wasnt Brent was it John? He totalled his Cayman S on the 2011 Targa Tour. His brother was driving....but he doesnt have anything older than 2010 in his fleet!
No, it was Grant, the driver. Works at PwC in PNG, the same company apparently as the guy in the WRX who was badly hurt when he hit a bridge.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Picked up a bargain set of used Dunlop DZ03Gs courtesy Motorsport Services on TradeMe. I should be set for tyres for a few sessions now.
Good spotting. I bought my Aim Solo from them and trawled their Trademe listings. Seemed like a rich hunting ground for used race spec tyres if you have race wheel sizes like the GT3.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
No, it was Grant, the driver. Works at PwC in PNG, the same company apparently as the guy in the WRX who was badly hurt when he hit a bridge.
Hi John. Yip same car/guys. Brent McCarthy is a regular in our group. Does the Sunday Runs Pat & Ron organise. Wealthy guy who owned the Cayman "RS" and shared the driving with his brother in the 2011 Targa. His brother Grant was driving when they came off the road and IIRC hit a tree. Big off. Wrote the car off (insured by Prestigo) and they were both lucky not to get more seriously mangled. Brent did the Targa with us 2012 with his wife this time but pulled out day two with some mechanical issues.....small world.

We should get an RSG Targa Tour group together for 2014? I know Sean and I would be interested and Im sure we can convince yourself, Pete, Matt and a few others to do it. Its a hell of an event, entirely different than Track work (car needs to be set up a little different too), a fair bit more hairy tho!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?