Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:59 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Done. Ill get it to Dean next week and you can pick it up from CCS if that makes it easier?
Spend half my life there so that's a good pick up point.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Right. Thats what i had in mind for it too. Just the garage appears to be a storage unit filled to the brim....!! Again will have dropped off to Dean.

Ill PM you account details...
Old 07-15-2013, 06:31 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Hi John,

Did you get a radar gun speed on my yellow TT too?

Wasn't expecting to bear Patsy's GTR to turn one from P2 for the first two sessions at Saturday's sprints. Patsy blew by pretty quickly again the first time but the second session she held back though I took a purposely wide line clear of the apex at turn one and the sweeper several laps running. She was probably wary as my car was pretty lively with a brake fault light showing (been doing that for ages - running good Motul RBF600 with Pagid endurance pads, so solid brakes but my TT is VERY sensitive to the exact fill level, faulting out to no ABS, ABD (e-diff) nor the ABS regulated front-back brake proportioning.

I approached Terry afterwards looking for advice and was happy to be moved back to P3 so Patsy and Arnold could start clear. Topping my brake fluid 5mm above the mark hadn't helped between the first sessions so Oscar kindly helped me drop it 5mm below. This saw me run 3 laps before the light came on so a big improvement and I will experiment further around that level to get it fully sorted.

You will love your TT on track and for shorter sessions they can compete unmodified with lighter and lower cars. Mine is a stock 420HP tiptronic on Sumitomo HTRZIII street tires and I was stoked to be running in the 1.19s for the first time with a best of 1:18.5 or thereabouts. Clive Pilkington still kept me honest by - in his words - 'wringing the neck' of his 996 C4S (with about 50hp/ton less) for a best that was about a quarter of a second faster. I was around a second a lap off Patsy and Albert's frontrunning pace but took some consolation by checking the typical difference between our cars at Fastest Laps.

I got one full session on my 3D cam to show my kids but the battery died a few laps before the look around I took in the sweeper...maybe just as well.

Without ABS most of the time - nor mad skills - my freshly nitrogen filled tyres went up by 10 PSI hot both front and rears (I bled air between runs but checked by letting them cool back down overnight - to 26,34).

A totally awesome day and I had to pinch myself at the quality of the cars and drivers sharing the grid. Big thanks to all involved. - Walter
Hi Walter, I got you and Matt at 209 and 212. Can't say which was which. As the others know, this is a radar the size of a cigarette pack and I point it as best I can. All I can do is say I have comparative speeds. I got Patsy and that 991 at 217. The fastest I've had before was Neil's GT3 3.8 at 220km. Next Saturday I'll bring it back out, plus the Aim Solo for some definitive times and speeds.

I've had the 996TT out twice before. Had brake alerts as well, both times. The pedal was soft the last time, so I'll be more comfortable with SRF in it this weekend. Don't think I'll run 1:19 but would be happy in the lower 1:20s. Enough to keep some of the others honest.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:29 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thanks John - what pads do you run on the 996 TT?

Thanks for that speed reading John - I'll take the 212 . With my brake issue, I had to get on the picks a bit earlier than before but previously I've caught the speedo showing between 225 and 230 at Hampton (though it reads over obviously). Castrol SRF is brilliant - colour me jealous. What pads are you running BTW? My Pagid RS 19/29s have almost no fade but lack a lot of feel compared to the worn Textar/Pagid street pads I ran there earlier. They do have much better low temp bite than other race pads though and I often daily drive my car so that matters to me too. Bit squeally though.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thanks for that speed reading John - I'll take the 212 . With my brake issue, I had to get on the picks a bit earlier than before but previously I've caught the speedo showing between 225 and 230 at Hampton (though it reads over obviously). Castrol SRF is brilliant - colour me jealous. What pads are you running BTW? My Pagid RS 19/29s have almost no fade but lack a lot of feel compared to the worn Textar/Pagid street pads I ran there earlier. They do have much better low temp bite than other race pads though and I often daily drive my car so that matters to me too. Bit squeally though.
I bought my car at the bottom end of the then market, last May. it was owned by a guy who treated it like an appliance. It now has 159,000 km on the clock and I haven't changed the pads yet, but I figure there will be something pretty average in there given the lack of maintenance I had to rectify.

There is some noise about my radar readings. I think only Macca has semi verified his Monit against my numbers. I'll try and verify it against my Aim this Saturday to settle the debate a bit.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. I believe your radar is pretty much accurate. My Monit was officially calibrated using 1km roadside markers as per Targa guidelines. We tried GPS and it wasnt accurate enough at speed. On the Targa we were less than 50m variance with the Monit over a 45km stage checked against our GPS (5hz unit). On the 29th the Monit recorded a top speed on the front straight of 196kmph. That could have been any time on any session. On the session you timed me we were within 1kmph, but I brake late into corner 1 so it could be I was still accelerating when you hit me.

Typically a production speedo will be 5% out above 100km sometimes more. In the old days the Police wouldnt book you on a reading below 105-108.

If you clocked 996tnz at 212 its likely with a 6% error his speed would show 225km ph.

I had my speedo re calibrated at Smiths when the VDO custom dial faces were put in. At 100kmph there is less than 1km ph from true GPS/Monit speed. I wouldn't advise it. After years of driving with some room for error there is now none and its easy to be booked for exactly whats on the speedo at the time!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. When say GPS wasnt accurate enough at speed - what I mean is we couldn't calibrate the Monit easily using our GPS as there is a lag. The official 1km spaced markers on the straight before the Bombay hill are legally verified and provided a more accurate way to calibrate on the move....
Old 07-15-2013, 09:45 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, mine reads high (like most recent ones - GPS suggests about 4-5kph over/100kph) and even on another day with no brake warning light it didn't show more than about 227 - so between me braking a bit earlier last Saturday and the speedo's over optimism I'd say John's radar is spot on. I was too busy managing the car into turn one to even look at a speedo this time. John - thanks again for sharing everyone's readings.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:40 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Hi Walter, I got you and Matt at 209 and 212. Can't say which was which. As the others know, this is a radar the size of a cigarette pack and I point it as best I can. All I can do is say I have comparative speeds. I got Patsy and that 991 at 217. The fastest I've had before was Neil's GT3 3.8 at 220km. Next Saturday I'll bring it back out, plus the Aim Solo for some definitive times and speeds.

I've had the 996TT out twice before. Had brake alerts as well, both times. The pedal was soft the last time, so I'll be more comfortable with SRF in it this weekend. Don't think I'll run 1:19 but would be happy in the lower 1:20s. Enough to keep some of the others honest.
John get the 996TT brake fluid changed to a track fluid.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John - thanks again for sharing everyone's readings.
Not everyone's, mine remain unmeasured
Old 07-15-2013, 03:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911

John get the 996TT brake fluid changed to a track fluid.
I thought SRF was the bee's knees?
Old 07-15-2013, 07:14 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I've had good success with using an antisqueal compound between pads and original backing plates/dampners with my Pagid Blues - no squeal at all.

SRF great - but to be honest it's wet point is the good part. Dry boiling point is up there with Motul RBF660:

Motul RBF 660
Dry 617
Wet 399

Castrol SRF
Dry 590
Wet 518
Old 07-15-2013, 07:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Any other 964 owners need the bushings for their gear shift? USD 15.75 each. I'm adding them to my Pelican order and because they're small there's no additonal shipping cost. Just a thought I'd ask before I pull the trigger.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:42 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey guys what sort of fuel do you find best both on the track and for mileage (expecially those with 996/997). I thought I was getting amazing mileage and good power with the Gull Force 10 98 octane ethanol blend but was not able to reproduce it, and generally shell 95 seems to be pretty average. Not sure how many tanks I have to go through for the system to adjust..
Old 07-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Any other 964 owners need the bushings for their gear shift? USD 15.75 each. I'm adding them to my Pelican order and because they're small there's no additonal shipping cost. Just a thought I'd ask before I pull the trigger.
What are the symptons to determine if they are needed? Mine feels good but I have no point of reference. The new engine mounts seemed to improve things

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?