Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 02:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mmmm. There's more than a few folk around here who really love the RE55s and mourn their passing. The Z214 areId imagine around ~1s faster at Taupo than the Z221 that the majority of us are using (Paul Miller was only one on 214s IIRC).
Old 10-01-2013, 03:27 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I think my car troubles were caused by a dud DME relay. Couldn't get it to run. Took about 6 attempts to get it to start and idle and that was on the throttle. Fitted a new DME today and it seems to be fine. I believe Matt had a new one installed too, so it didn't last very long. It starts first time now. Idle is up the whop but will sort that. One of the exhaust Olive joints dislodged itself completely on the way back from Manfield so it's impossibly loud at the moment. It was blowing during the last few sessions at Manfeild and back firing on gear changes much worse than normal. Might have been signalling to me the start of the DME decline. It's Pretty hard on the cars and I can see that things need to be kept on top of for sure. I'm treating it to a visit to CCS just in case there is something more sinister happening than a dud DME.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dave. Glad to hear at this time it seems like a simple DME relay issue. The track is very very hard on our cars. The heat is a key issue. The cars are dissipating tonnes of latent heat after the track session. Even worse in summer I guess. The cars are enduring repeated 1.5+g lateral loads. The fluids are struggling and everything I guess is under pressure......
Old 10-01-2013, 05:42 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like most people had a gremlin or two to sort out after the NITT, some worse than others. Puts the SITT into perspective really... better start buying those GT3s! (Yes, Macca, I know you already have )
Old 10-01-2013, 05:46 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Mmmm. There's more than a few folk around here who really love the RE55s and mourn their passing. The Z214 areId imagine around ~1s faster at Taupo than the Z221 that the majority of us are using (Paul Miller was only one on 214s IIRC).
Why do you think 214's are quicker than 221's??

I'm in the process of trying to source 221's for some 16" rims I have coz I was thinking the opposite??

I can't speak for 221's, but 214's are not quicker than RE55S's in my experience.

The 214 is quicker than a Toyo 888 by about 1.5 sec, but the Toyo is the best overall combination of road, wet and track tire.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:45 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Looks like most people had a gremlin or two to sort out after the NITT, some worse than others. Puts the SITT into perspective really... better start buying those GT3s! (Yes, Macca, I know you already have )
Absolutely does put it into perspective. I feel less worried given that I've had so much done, but I'll never be smug. I'll also look at Steve's thought that sympathy for the motor is a way to make it last longer i.e. not hitting the limiter or even running it close to it.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
You aren't wrong there! I guess that is the downside of our 20 year old charisma laden road + occasional track appliances!

Overall Im very satisfied with my old girls performance. In 13+ years shes never let me down once (if you discount batteries as Ive had maybe 3 of those). She dropped some oil from a lower valve cover gasket one year in storage when I didnt use her enough. There was clutch slip at the end of the Targa in 2012 caused by a weeping gearbox/clutch spline drive seal which frankly should have been changed during the RS clutch install 12 months before!

Mind you given the car owes me as much as a used 997.2 GT3 it bloody well ought to perform reliably (or be replaced LOL!).

That said this recent Targa/track fascination has definitely shown that it will accelerate deterioration of any old or weak parts of the performance chain so Im expecting along the way there will be a few shockers. Something like-

"sorry Macca its not your shift rods binding causing the issue with getting into second gear n the track under load but its in fact a damage slip ring worth $120 which requires us to drop your engine/gearbox & clutch disassemble the gearbox at which time due to onerous labour you may was well shell out $3500 for a new lower RS gear set and new 1/2 synchros as there's not point in us doing this twice!"

Yip. It starts like that. Be warned!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Why do you think 214's are quicker than 221's??

I'm in the process of trying to source 221's for some 16" rims I have coz I was thinking the opposite??

I can't speak for 221's, but 214's are not quicker than RE55S's in my experience.

The 214 is quicker than a Toyo 888 by about 1.5 sec, but the Toyo is the best overall combination of road, wet and track tire.
Paul. It was yourself and Sean I was referring to whom were both big fans of RE55. Others I know too. I never tried them....

I talked with Steve about the 214 at HD in March. IIRC he told me they were a Hoosier equivalent tyre much in the vein of a full slick and around 0.5s+ lap faster on a typical NZ course. Taupo is a bit longer than HD/Manfield and most of the others. I do not believe they are dot rated or street legal either?. Two small grooves around their circumference, but otherwise a smooth as a babies ***. Cant see why they would be slower than Z221....

I might give the Toyo 888 a try for the Targa Tour 2014. You should join us on that - we are building up a bit of a team. Pete Meredith, Doug Hanna, Myself all keen at this stage. I think Chris B would enjoy it too. I know you would Paul. Love The Beast!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. If you estimate Toyo 888 are 1.5s slower than 214s at Taupo I would estimate that 221s fit right in the middle at around .75s faster than 888s. Im guessing the RE55s between the 888 and the 221s.

I personally cant see how there is more than 2-3 seconds between a top ultra performance road tyre (say Michelin Super Sport) and a top Dot Tyre (say MPSC or 221) on a short course like HD/Manfield assume same car, same geo, same driver, same conditions....
Old 10-01-2013, 05:01 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

probably double the wear on engine in the last 1000 revs...
Old 10-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Can the 964 boys confirm if a 993 standard cross drilled brake set with brembo caliper will bolt up to a 964 no trouble?

Would anyone be interested in a set if they were available at a reasonable price? Lets say 50% life left in discs & pads and calipers were rebuilt/painted 20k km ago...
Old 10-01-2013, 06:57 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul. It was yourself and Sean I was referring to whom were both big fans of RE55. Others I know too. I never tried them....

I talked with Steve about the 214 at HD in March. IIRC he told me they were a Hoosier equivalent tyre much in the vein of a full slick and around 0.5s+ lap faster on a typical NZ course. Taupo is a bit longer than HD/Manfield and most of the others. I do not believe they are dot rated or street legal either?. Two small grooves around their circumference, but otherwise a smooth as a babies ***. Cant see why they would be slower than Z221....

I might give the Toyo 888 a try for the Targa Tour 2014. You should join us on that - we are building up a bit of a team. Pete Meredith, Doug Hanna, Myself all keen at this stage. I think Chris B would enjoy it too. I know you would Paul. Love The Beast!
Yup - I'd be in for this:
Old 10-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good boy. That's four of us now plus Ron & Patsy's group (Richard Snow, Mitchells, Hawcridges).

The Targa NZ from October is condensed over the oriigbal format. 4 days (2 of which are a weekend) now only 650K of closed road open speed stages and around 1600 touring kms in between - so its much more manageable and less of an endurance event than before.

We will put a separate dedicated thread together next year to cover this off, in the meantime I have the briefing doc from this years Targa NZ Tour starting in three weeks time - if anyone interest I can email a copy. Sean will be attending in his 964 hot rod representing RSG! He will no doubt give us live commentary...
Old 10-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Can the 964 boys confirm if a 993 standard cross drilled brake set with brembo caliper will bolt up to a 964 no trouble?

Would anyone be interested in a set if they were available at a reasonable price? Lets say 50% life left in discs & pads and calipers were rebuilt/painted 20k km ago...
I would like to find that out too.
Was considering a rear caliper upgrade since I only have the small 2 pots and pads are getting harder to find.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
I would like to find that out too. Was considering a rear caliper upgrade since I only have the small 2 pots and pads are getting harder to find.
No sure why the C4s have 4 pot as standard but I'm glad they do.

In terms of the fit question, I read many threads in the early years over what fits on what. I seem to recall there was a warning over 'big reds'. Apparently the caliper fluid capacity was too much for the standard system so the brakes wouldn't fully apply when the pedal was pushed hard. Anyway search for threads.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?