Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016 | 06:33 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

(double post)
Old 10-01-2016 | 07:08 AM
Garry D
Instructor

Hey Paul , it's a bit soon to make a statement like that mate !

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yes - met Brent this weekend who purchased the Singapore blue 993 C4 that used to be on here, he owns 2 x 356 and a 2.4 S. Says he loves it (993).

Err - I was thinking of whimping out of Manfield leg - no cars to buy from Gary (and hopefully no broken clutch fork).
Old 10-01-2016 | 10:32 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I am having second thoughts on the 996 GT3. If someone whats one PM me, mine could be seriously for sale.

Thinking of just getting a 44 race car for track days and buying another classic (308/356/what ever else comes along?)
Can't say I'm surprised about the GT3 sale as you have form with the C3 and 993, however one minute it's a newer GT3, then it's a 944 race car and another old car. Isn't Scarlett already filling the classic place in the collection?

Maybe a left field option is Steve's Red Targa prepped 964 C2. It's NZ new, already has a cage, is in no way likely to tempt you to respray it, and will give me another Red C2 to hound when I'm not bonnet polishing the C4s.
Old 10-01-2016 | 05:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I agree with John but I also see where Buba is coming from.

Hes been hanging with the PCNZ crowd all weekend with their old cars and so that is no doubt affecting his vision today. Good or bad its not the right words as its a personal think so there is no good or bad.

In the end everyone has to decide what type of Porsche owner they are.

In Sept 2016 Doug, myself, Jake and a few others decided on a Northland weekend. We did the morning run to Russell for a coffee. You know, the famous run. The 993 was on fire and Ive never driven it quicker, (except Targa). The car is really tippy toeing on the edge, its sounding rorty and its taking no hostages, even with 2 x 997TT in chase....

We get to the destination and the cars are filthy, the brakes are ticking hard, smells of hot pads, Im sure my bumper has started to deform again from heat near the right muffler box - all four cars lined up near the wharf in empty car spaces. What a sight. The coffee helps quell the adrenaline for a moment.

Then out of now where I hear a shout. Macca!! Its Tony & Lynette, Angus & girl, then the rest of the "youngish?" PCNZ gang. Around 10 in total. The "Renegade Group" (first words - we are not the official James Dean weekend so don't put us on FB!). They are amazed to see us there and we are amazed to see them. They ask what we are doing there and we say its our hunting ground and we are driving the t*ts off our Porsches for a weekend. We never saw them on the road at all over that weekend. The politics sounded a but hairy too - but they were having a good time.

I think for me that summed up the differences of the groups well and fairly. There is no way I would have given up the driving on that weekend for the world (it was some of the most fun Ive ever done and we had perfect weather and company), and there is no way they would have driven their pristine cars at 1/4 the pace we were enjoying travelling at.

As for the track work, again its horses for courses. Buba is big on HD (1000s of laps there), but Im not sure he even completed a full day on SITT (ok, maybe Higlands - cause he was liking that track), has never completed a full NITT (maybe this year?) and as much enjoys the social side as the driving.

Ok Im ribbing him a bit for a response LOL!

Reality is, and I understand this well, Buba will enjoy the track chasing or being chased by similar metal whatever the level. The 944 makes some compelling argument. Its fast and cheap. Petes car was the ticket. Something to take to HD and run some laps in while shooting sh8t in the pits with the boys.

The need for older mint metal is a PCNZ affect. Buba has spent the weekend with the old timers. Angus cars are tasty and the rest pristine 356s etc. They look damn good too, but they would break if they were driven how we treat our cars. An they would get stone chips. They definitely have their appeal if you have the space, patience and are time constrained through family or business. They have a nice feel about them too.

Buba you are not easily able to be a hardcore track junkie these days or a hardcore Targa or back road guy - you have young family and business commitments. In time that will change. We know you are one of us at heart even if you do end up a bonnet polisher. You have been right beside, behind or in front of me in some of the most epic track and road chases of my Pcar life.

In the meantime I say scratch that itch. Dont deviate from an 308 or a lovely A 356. Those are the sweet spots IMO, the Ferrari for you because of a boyhood dream and the A356 because its just one of the best looking damn Porsche in the vintage world (and they have been unfairly left behind by long hood 911 values which is crazy as they are far rarer and have even more character). What money you have left over buy a really cheap 944 ex racer to go to the track in from time to time, its not like Quinn is going to make HD days more frequently available for mortals anyhow.

All IMO mate and no offence is intended. :-)
Old 10-01-2016 | 05:50 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

One of these days I'll do a Porsche version of eight tribes http://www.8tribes.co.nz/tribe-summary.php. I think 964 owners would be Balclutha.
Old 10-02-2016 | 12:00 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garry D
Hey Paul , it's a bit soon to make a statement like that mate !
True mate - I didn't factor in that you would probably have an all new fleet (RS excluded) by then
Old 10-02-2016 | 12:04 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Can't say I'm surprised about the GT3 sale as you have form with the C3 and 993, however one minute it's a newer GT3, then it's a 944 race car and another old car. Isn't Scarlett already filling the classic place in the collection?

Maybe a left field option is Steve's Red Targa prepped 964 C2. It's NZ new, already has a cage, is in no way likely to tempt you to respray it, and will give me another Red C2 to hound when I'm not bonnet polishing the C4s.
All true JMc - You need to do some digging and find out the current C2 asking price. I think he was planning to repaint and then sell? Might be up to six figures now?
Old 10-02-2016 | 12:17 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
I agree with John but I also see where Buba is coming from.

Hes been hanging with the PCNZ crowd all weekend with their old cars and so that is no doubt affecting his vision today. Good or bad its not the right words as its a personal think so there is no good or bad.

In the end everyone has to decide what type of Porsche owner they are.

In Sept 2016 Doug, myself, Jake and a few others decided on a Northland weekend. We did the morning run to Russell for a coffee. You know, the famous run. The 993 was on fire and Ive never driven it quicker, (except Targa). The car is really tippy toeing on the edge, its sounding rorty and its taking no hostages, even with 2 x 997TT in chase....

We get to the destination and the cars are filthy, the brakes are ticking hard, smells of hot pads, Im sure my bumper has started to deform again from heat near the right muffler box - all four cars lined up near the wharf in empty car spaces. What a sight. The coffee helps quell the adrenaline for a moment.

Then out of now where I hear a shout. Macca!! Its Tony & Lynette, Angus & girl, then the rest of the "youngish?" PCNZ gang. Around 10 in total. The "Renegade Group" (first words - we are not the official James Dean weekend so don't put us on FB!). They are amazed to see us there and we are amazed to see them. They ask what we are doing there and we say its our hunting ground and we are driving the t*ts off our Porsches for a weekend. We never saw them on the road at all over that weekend. The politics sounded a but hairy too - but they were having a good time.

I think for me that summed up the differences of the groups well and fairly. There is no way I would have given up the driving on that weekend for the world (it was some of the most fun Ive ever done and we had perfect weather and company), and there is no way they would have driven their pristine cars at 1/4 the pace we were enjoying travelling at.

As for the track work, again its horses for courses. Buba is big on HD (1000s of laps there), but Im not sure he even completed a full day on SITT (ok, maybe Higlands - cause he was liking that track), has never completed a full NITT (maybe this year?) and as much enjoys the social side as the driving.

Ok Im ribbing him a bit for a response LOL!

Reality is, and I understand this well, Buba will enjoy the track chasing or being chased by similar metal whatever the level. The 944 makes some compelling argument. Its fast and cheap. Petes car was the ticket. Something to take to HD and run some laps in while shooting sh8t in the pits with the boys.

The need for older mint metal is a PCNZ affect. Buba has spent the weekend with the old timers. Angus cars are tasty and the rest pristine 356s etc. They look damn good too, but they would break if they were driven how we treat our cars. An they would get stone chips. They definitely have their appeal if you have the space, patience and are time constrained through family or business. They have a nice feel about them too.

Buba you are not easily able to be a hardcore track junkie these days or a hardcore Targa or back road guy - you have young family and business commitments. In time that will change. We know you are one of us at heart even if you do end up a bonnet polisher. You have been right beside, behind or in front of me in some of the most epic track and road chases of my Pcar life.

In the meantime I say scratch that itch. Dont deviate from an 308 or a lovely A 356. Those are the sweet spots IMO, the Ferrari for you because of a boyhood dream and the A356 because its just one of the best looking damn Porsche in the vintage world (and they have been unfairly left behind by long hood 911 values which is crazy as they are far rarer and have even more character). What money you have left over buy a really cheap 944 ex racer to go to the track in from time to time, its not like Quinn is going to make HD days more frequently available for mortals anyhow.

All IMO mate and no offence is intended. :-)
^^^ Geepers Macca - sure you don't want to share a Hilton Room (my treat)

These comments are all true. I do enjoy drving fast, but I mostly perfer the socal aspect and events I can share with the missus. My thing is there are many cars I want to try in life and I can't afford to keep them all.

I could be equally tempted buy a new Pcar at wholesale or that grey 7.2 GT3 (when it gets to $180k). I'm a little on the fence with the GT4, but if I could land a del miles UK car for $150K - why not??

But having just completed 700km round trip in the 6GT3, I'm not losing any sleep with this car in the garage........ (besides it keeps up with 356's just fine).

P.s. still want the fezza
Old 10-02-2016 | 01:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

If anyone is looking for a near new VAT qualifying GT4 or in fact any new or used car out if UK them PM me and I'll fix you up with my guy who can keep an eye out for you and try and sort you out. He's sorting me out for something now (Alfa) and is a good sort...
Old 10-02-2016 | 03:41 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

All true JMc - You need to do some digging and find out the current C2 asking price. I think he was planning to repaint and then sell? Might be up to six figures now?
He's not back in NZ for another two weeks so not sure what his plans are with it. I think he was doing a bit of tidy up work but nothing major. I wouldn't think it was a candidate for a big clean up as it will never be considered mint after a Targa history.
Old 10-02-2016 | 06:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
He's not back in NZ for another two weeks so not sure what his plans are with it. I think he was doing a bit of tidy up work but nothing major. I wouldn't think it was a candidate for a big clean up as it will never be considered mint after a Targa history.
As a track car there are far better options including Sean's old US race car I'm guessing Gary in CHCH will let go for under 80k...it's probably the most competitive car of its type available.

But all of that defeats the point. S cheap 944 race car for 20k which frees up 100k for another classic purchase.
Old 10-02-2016 | 08:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Old 10-02-2016 | 02:08 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
But all of that defeats the point. S cheap 944 race car for 20k which frees up 100k for another classic purchase.
Yup - this is my thinking............
Old 10-02-2016 | 06:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Some interesting information here on the 911R if you get the chance to watch this full video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ebb...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-02-2016 | 06:34 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

^^^ Geepers Macca - sure you don't want to share a Hilton Room (my treat)

These comments are all true. I do enjoy drving fast, but I mostly perfer the socal aspect and events I can share with the missus. My thing is there are many cars I want to try in life and I can't afford to keep them all.

I could be equally tempted buy a new Pcar at wholesale or that grey 7.2 GT3 (when it gets to $180k). I'm a little on the fence with the GT4, but if I could land a del miles UK car for $150K - why not??

But having just completed 700km round trip in the 6GT3, I'm not losing any sleep with this car in the garage........ (besides it keeps up with 356's just fine).

P.s. still want the fezza
Here's the perfect solution if you're still on the fence re the GT4 and want a Ferarri 308...

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  102.9 KB

Cheers,
Mike

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?