Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 07:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Yes, it's a Ron's Run by another name. Nothing wrong with that though and there’s nothing stopping you organising runs or coercing Doug et al to do it for you. While this weekend’s run is not great timing for me (next two weekends are in Aus), I like the fact that it has a unique purpose, requires a commitment and is social. Perhaps (unfair assumption on my part) those early morning runs have more flaky commitments based on weather, planet position, previous night partying etc. They also tend to repeat the same runs. Horses for courses.
Well pointed.

If Paul organises a weekend run I will attend if I can.

I have a bunch of routes south of Auckland in mind. Just needed to be there with time to recce them. Unlikely I guess now I'll be based Central North Island - but with the help of Matt and the Southern Brethren we will have some ace routes planned for when you folks come down to play...
Old 10-13-2016, 07:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Warwick. You are about right at 86k for 40k gbp but probably safer with 88k. An equivalent car might be 95-100k in NZ after haggling. So it's fine if it's for personal use.

With a new car the goal is buy own/hold for 12-24 months then sell and break even. It costs you only what you pay for the money on the mortgage etc. new cars have new tyres and not even one service over that time so it would work out cheaper than running an older car IM experience.

Right now there aren't many cars in my sights that work to make a small profit with low risk. Best option to date is new MY2017 Audi RSQ3 with the HP performance upgrade - not a personal choice to get stuck with naturally...
Old 10-13-2016, 07:35 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macca. That's what I would have thought too - 95-100k. There just doesn't seem to be much in the manual transmission pool here though. To be fair hunting for the right car isn't just about waiting for one to show up on TM. It takes some soliciting of the community/dealers to ferret out leads...
Old 10-13-2016, 08:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Macca. That's what I would have thought too - 95-100k. There just doesn't seem to be much in the manual transmission pool here though. To be fair hunting for the right car isn't just about waiting for one to show up on TM. It takes some soliciting of the community/dealers to ferret out leads...
Yes. I suspect this explains some of the recent ex UK personal imports I've seen at CCS awaiting work. A lot of folk aren't connected in the right circles so after a few months getting no where with dealers keeping an eye out may have elected to pick up the phone and bag a car ex uk online dealer. Having fruit unused some of what's come in to CCS I can't say it's s fail proof method, many of the cars need a lot of money spent on them and some have been known to fail compliance (rust). I think in all honesty the risk is too large for anything over 2-3 years old unless you just have to have it or the price delta is generous.

Right now the RHD world is shopping the UK dealers on the weak GBP. Their new and used car sales figures this next quarter will be impressive! In fact their whole GDP may blossom for a short while until UK retail prices catch up. I'd say end of H1 next year at the latest if the GBP doesn't recover before Jan...
Old 10-13-2016, 10:15 PM
PHG
Racer

Jason, you shame me with the mainsail bit (well done!!).. however I am sure you will sail with increased confidence in public arena now..
I have the boat up at Marsden Cove now, so will be certainly be out and about. not sure if I will get over to the Barrier or just go way North..
Buying another T would just put me back into the same reasons why I sold the last one.. not using it, dog can't fit, good lady doesn't do fast, including overtake manoeuvres.. blah blah..
Got my new boat arriving around Jan too, so that and building the new house should take up the slack..!
I should be like Macca and 'just do it', altho Jo is a bit more understanding than some!
See you on the water mayhaps, come drown a bevy
Old 10-13-2016, 11:09 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
Once you wind up speccing up a GTI you aren't far off a Golf R and then it's easy to fall down that slope! That's what happened to me in the end when I started looking for a GTI, wound up with an R. Bought the ex-staff/demo car from Conti's though so it was pretty specced up but a decent discount from list, the only thing it is missing is keyless entry and a sunroof (which pretty much no one orders these days but I like).

Used R's look like a pretty good deal (meaning I will still be taking a decent hit it seems), this one has some tasty mods. http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...1174328702.htm
Nice buy Stuart, and that TradeMe R APR stage 2 you posted looks to be a pretty quick bit of kit: https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_u...en3_mqb_r.html

Couldn't help noticing the APR tune also includes something my tuner couldn't deliver on the Turbo when asked:

Left Foot Braking:
APR's Left Foot Braking feature allows more control over the vehicle’s throttle. The factory equipped vehicle's throttle input is disabled while pressing the accelerator and brake at the same time. Left Foot Braking, a common motorsport driving technique, allows the driver complete control over the vehicle’s throttle and braking system, which may give the vehicle the edge it needs at the track.

That's one of very few annoyances with the Turbo. Less of a problem with PSM disabled and have pretty much learned to drive around it anyway, but sometimes the car still pulls power the second time if going brake-accelerator-brake-accelerator with a bit of overlapping input.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:14 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I think we might need to do 'dawn raids' - i.e. meet at 7am and do a Woodcock Rd or Raglan run for morning coffee, and be home for lunch (and afternoon chores)

Are there more takers for these?

Just thinking about it, this is just a Ron's Run with another name??

But I am still keen to do them.
I'm in for those. Particularly highway 22 to Raglan. Would have done the cape trip but just too much on with the reno's
Old 10-14-2016, 05:33 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
I couldn't find another trailer on YouTube as badly rear-weighted (and it wasn't obvious from behind). He was also accelerating downhill and then probably did something dumb like brake hard when he got out of shape while we were passing, so the vids are not as sudden an onset but you can get some idea from these clips of how cars can get thrown about by trailers:
Thanks Walter, new respect for anything being towed now. Glad no-one was hurt too.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:34 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Macca I reckon you could get a truckload of Note 7s pretty cheap in the UK right now?
Old 10-14-2016, 06:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Macca I reckon you could get a truckload of Note 7s pretty cheap in the UK right now?
:-)
Old 10-14-2016, 07:30 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Im not sure on that Jake. High 30s GBP private sale non VAT car in UK is 84K landed.....
Yes, you and Paul are bang on. I'd misread the price at £30k (not high £30's) and forgotten to remove the VAT calc from my sheet! Ignore me Dave, clearly I'm spending too much time driving and not focusing on the important things

Wet run North today. Great fun, but a little too crowded at times. Unexpectedly overtaken at pace by a late 90's Corolla (based on this perhaps a good car for Jo?!), who proceeded to continue the attack and claimed two other victims before disappearing into the rain. Am sure his conquest of three Porsches will be his pick up line/pub story as he trawls the bounties of Northland this summer.

Agree on the need for more early morning runs. Weather tends to scare many away, and is difficult to get commitment, but I'm normally always keen.

Macca, with a few more P car owners in Taupo I'm sure it won't be too hard to organise a few long weekends that involve exploring the Midlands. Keen to revisit the road to Kimbolton sans nauseous passenger.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Yes, you and Paul are bang on. I'd misread the price at £30k (not high £30's) and forgotten to remove the VAT calc from my sheet! Ignore me Dave, clearly I'm spending too much time driving and not focusing on the important things Wet run North today. Great fun, but a little too crowded at times. Unexpectedly overtaken at pace by a late 90's Corolla (based on this perhaps a good car for Jo?!), who proceeded to continue the attack and claimed two other victims before disappearing into the rain. Am sure his conquest of three Porsches will be his pick up line/pub story as he trawls the bounties of Northland this summer. Agree on the need for more early morning runs. Weather tends to scare many away, and is difficult to get commitment, but I'm normally always keen. Macca, with a few more P car owners in Taupo I'm sure it won't be too hard to organise a few long weekends that involve exploring the Midlands. Keen to revisit the road to Kimbolton sans nauseous passenger.
Great to hear the Northland run is progressing as planned! Give my regards to the others.

Happy to organise some Macca style drives ex T. Some awesome back roads there, the ones off of the roads we use for targa! I'm not into long journeys for journeys sake as you know, rather intense 2 hour work outs followed by a coffee and a hour or so tapering off (still quick enough to give Tania a month of the sh*ts).

We will do that kimbolton run to ManField this year. With luck you may even beable to join us?
Old 10-14-2016, 08:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

....Now get back to driving....
Old 10-14-2016, 08:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Well done Graeme for leading class on Targa after a second and somewhat wet day. Keeping some if the bugger boys honest too!

Looks like the weather should straighten out by tomorrow Kate morning...
Old 10-14-2016, 04:57 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Was kinda fun when the boy in the corolla was chasing me. I decided not to slow for any corners for a while to show him what a Porsche is designed to do really well. Had him hanging onto his wheel with clenched hands and possibly other parts too.

Very wet overnight and waiting for it to clear around 11 for our run to the top.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?