Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 05:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I got the C3 ones in this way about 6 years ago

I now have 3 extra suit cases to spread the load.
Lots of room for red shoes mate!
Old 10-11-2016, 05:54 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
We are living in a renaissance period, new cars are cheap compared to other asset classes, they dont seem to depreciate much if you choose the right ones
Agreed, the new stuff is starting to look cheap compared to the older stuff. Assuming you have the $285K in the first place, buying a new GT3 and running it for 5 years with a warrantee and 30K of trouble free motoring is appealling. I understand a certain red GT3 with a hard targa/track life still got $220K as a trade, so only cost $15-18K p/a, and you got the previlage of owning a new Pcar. The old girls cost just the same in maintenance.

In a perfect world Id marry Buba and we'd live in a converted garage next to a race track full of cars with two bunk beds. We would dial out for pizza and hookers. But Buba is into wearing red high heels when hes in the kitchen and Im not ready for that just yet LOL!
Dude, in a perfect world we would be rich oil sultans and allowed a harem of girls and cars.........
Old 10-11-2016, 06:00 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
Thanks Andy, sent you a pm.

Macca the sound has more growl but no drone, been driving it today, was perhaps a bit hasty, the driveability is great, so much useable power.

Running 3 cars & paying 10k chunks has lost appeal, if your tracking a car, payment is either deferred maintence or depreciation, otherwise it's pass the parcel. Would love a cup car, but would probably end up living in it... hopefully one day.

Once the GT3 comes back I will sell two cars, the 930 & probably the GT3, my thinking is the SC can do classic racing or targa if I get the itch, living with reduced power will take some getting used to, probably your line of thinking with a 944 Paul.

The slippery slope is tempting especially on holiday, torsion bars will not be easy to hide in your baggage mate.

If the GT3 goes back offering manual next year, I wonder the impact on 911r values..
Pel - just put the cage back into the 6GT3.

As 6GT3's started production in 1999, they are considered classic cars now. You could probably run one in Arrows and TACCOC. I was allowed to run my GT3 in the classic trails (it was a academic arguement).

Edit - this makes a good arguement for owning an early cup car now, you could enter a truck load of events, and still be in the middle of the pack in a Porsche Series race.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:03 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garry D
Don't do it Paul , just buy the cheapest 911 for a track hack or Pel's GT3
you have one of the best 3.2 in NZ at the moment !
I won't got to the track, just want to improve the original (29yr old suspension). Torsion bars are bolt on and make a massive difference in the hanldling.

I would just do the bars, replace the rubbers with OE new and re-valve the shocks so she corners a little better........
Old 10-11-2016, 06:27 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by andy928
Is this the style of tail you are after?
There's a whole thread for that... https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...-vacation.html
Old 10-11-2016, 06:32 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

CCS is closest to you. Ricky is the guy to see. He knows the aircoolled cars well. Ehrin is leaving in two weeks. Might be a good time to build a relationship with them. Its a bloody long way to drive to Te Kuiti every time you need a WOF.
Where's Ehrin going?
Old 10-11-2016, 08:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Where's Ehrin going?
Ford. North island technical field manager IIRC...
Old 10-11-2016, 09:59 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ehrin is going to work as a field engineer for Ford, NZ. He's basically technical consultant for all Ford dealers in NZ. A big step up he says. He will be missed! He also will be keeping his hand in the Porsche world by supporting a number of Cup cars out of HD
Old 10-11-2016, 10:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Warwick. Your memory is better than mine!
Old 10-11-2016, 10:34 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Ehrin is going to work as a field engineer for Ford, NZ. He's basically technical consultant for all Ford dealers in NZ. A big step up he says. He will be missed! He also will be keeping his hand in the Porsche world by supporting a number of Cup cars out of HD
See Macca - just tell Jo that even the best technicians are all deserting to Ford now!

Now its been a long long time since I owned a turbo charged car so this is all new to be. But $1500 to gain 50bhp/80nm through a simple flash and filter seems insanely good value.
Welcome to the club! If the Focus RS engine is overengineered like the 996T's, it should only cost you some extra fuel (unless you go water injection or ethanol, additional cylinder cooling is typically via sacrificial fueling) and more frequent plug changes.

Now the missus wasn't too hot on the Focus RS. "Oh, that blue is so strong, I dont like that colour and yuk those Recaro sport bucket seats look really hard to sit in". She wants a MK 7 Golf GTI in silver. Thing is the RS will be fun, practical too and it wont depreciate much. Her brand new Golf will be a boring drive in comparison and it will shed value like a Gecko does skin!
The Focus has a handbrake, so wins by default in my book. But I'm sure that won't have legs with Jo. FWIW, having now driven 4 different models of the Golf V7, then if it has to be one of those the GTI Performance Pack looks to be best suited to her as the R is probably too harsh (by the sounds of her bagging the RS seats) and the non-performance pack GTI (no trick torque-vectoring front diff) isn't nearly as much fun to drive hard (or even in heavy rain) since the fronts just start tramping under any decent acceleration.

... figured the Focus RS could be her wheels. Im mean, she would be the coolest 40s chick in central north island right? Once the bros have her a hoot and the young guys with the caps waved her on I figured shed feel like Snoop Doggys squeeze and it would all be cool - even in "Nitrous Blue". Nup. Doesnt wash. Silver Golf please! I still have to do some work here...

Lets just say I have been sleeping in the single room since then! Im a warrior so I havent given in yet, but i may be a "gelded warrior" by the time Im through!

Macca, a wrap could sort the RS on the colour front (plus protect it during spirited use), but if its also a badge thing your goose may be cooked - even if most of those in the know might rate it well above the Golf.

Been navigating these marital roads myself lately after a trailer's load of 4x2s shifted while going downhill and threw a towing car sideways across our lane as we were passing it in the Audi.

Long story short, bought another allroad but the seller backed out after the deposit was paid (they sold it cheap and a local bettered the sale price by 1K. I wasn't keen to fly down to Dunedin to force the point). No other allroads available in the spec I wanted so looked wider. Wanted a good tow vehicle with a bit of GT comfort so ended up testing 3 Cayennes, a Merc GL450 (huge and better than expected to drive but they seem to spontaneously ignite at a horrific frequency) and an X5 (very dated cabin - like my old 1994 E34 BMW 540).

Two of the Cayennes driven were Turbos (pre and post facelift) but the on-off power delivery in town counted against them on the GT criteria (the 996T doesn't have noticeable lag, though it is still a bit more Go-GO than say an E55 Kompressor). And Cayenne Turbo speed paled next to 911 Turbo speed anyway, so all going well an early Cayenne S will be joining the stable come the weekend. That kind of leaves budget for an older luxury sedan, though that might spark a garage/driveway battle along the lines of your own predicament. So I'm going to see how well the Cayenne does on the commute (well, going by John's testimonials) before perhaps chancing my arm.

Women dont get cars. All they are interested in is the colour and if it has a "nice face". In a perfect world Id marry Buba and we'd live in a converted garage next to a race track full of cars with two bunk beds. We would dial out for pizza and hookers. But Buba is into wearing red high heels when hes in the kitchen and Im not ready for that just yet LOL!
I must be lucky on that front then, as my wife was quite approving. Unless she has just forgotten how aesthetically challenged the original Cayenne was. They remind me of a 'my little pony' on steroids, though there are some great vids of them hanging out with more basic offroaders in the rough stuff, when shod to suit.

Maybe we could run a poll on the Focus vs Golf for you. So far you could tell Jo that 100% of Rennlisters support the Focus. Lies, damn lies, and statistics of course...

Last edited by 996tnz; 10-11-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Our Cayenne has been one of our better Porsche buys.

Bought for $26,500 in Dec 14. Worth maybe $20,000 to $22,000 with 125,000km on the odometer. 27,000km of that is us. It feels like it will go another 200,000km.

Coolant pipes and starter motor were already done. Repaired Cardan shaft bearing and replaced plugs and coils while it was there. $2,400. Replaced heater fan $600. Replaced rear door struts $300. Set of front pads $200. One service for $500. So including max depreciation we are $10,500 so far for 27,000km = 38 cents per km plus petrol (lets not go there!) We'd do it again.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:05 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
Our Cayenne has been one of our better Porsche buys.

Bought for $26,500 in Dec 14. Worth maybe $20,000 to $22,000 with 125,000km on the odometer. 27,000km of that is us. It feels like it will go another 200,000km.

Coolant pipes and starter motor were already done. Repaired Cardan shaft bearing and replaced plugs and coils while it was there. $2,400. Replaced heater fan $600. Replaced rear door struts $300. Set of front pads $200. One service for $500. So including max depreciation we are $10,500 so far for 27,000km = 38 cents per km plus petrol (lets not go there!) We'd do it again.
Thanks John. Yeah, I just finished looking back over the Cayenne posts on this thread and was pleased to find many smiles and no horror stories. Not sure about the other items, but the coolant pipes on this one have also been upgraded. Too much history with Porsche's ham-handed approach to water cooling to consider buying another P product without that sorted at least.

Will get it PPI'd (post purchase inspected) in a week or two, but have allowed funds for other majors if need be.

Haven't actually driven an S (unless maybe yours a short distance at Taupo?), but between testing the 3.2 (VR6 - great engine, but only for a lighter car, and it had an undercooked interior too) and the Turbos (surprisingly not the magic formula for me, but perhaps just as I have the 996T to ruin their performance aspect) the S had to be the goldilocks model.

Yours and Chris's certainly helped sell me on them from the passenger seat.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:17 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

They are a big heavy luxury vehicle and a relative bargain at these levels if you get a good one. Donna loves the overtaking power and it's a great long distance cabin. Like driving business class everywhere.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:34 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
They are a big heavy luxury vehicle and a relative bargain at these levels if you get a good one. Donna loves the overtaking power and it's a great long distance cabin. Like driving business class everywhere.
Yes, great ride quality and a decent interior. Mine has the multilevel air suspension too, as did my allroad (and like Range Rovers, Bentley Continentals, Silver Spurs etc). The 3.2 tested had steel springs, which felt fine when hustling it (much like the X5) but not ideal for that 'business class' travel you mention.

Pleasingly, the Cayenne S is also slightly quicker than my old allroad, up to legal speeds at least. But I think the weight and associated towing ability is what really needs to be stumped up for at the pump. That said, I've not seemed to average less than about 15L/100 out of any of my cars in a long time. The 750IL already taught me to just top her up to 95L and enjoy the ride...
Old 10-12-2016, 12:56 AM
Dust 00
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Summers here... anyone after a droptop 3.2?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...1180194445.htm

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?