Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, this is what I'm after plus fibreglass decklid http://www.rennspd.com/P_Detail.asp?PID=127&Task=STD
Old 10-10-2016, 07:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If we were organised we should put together a container load of parts and tyres (Michelin etc) for our cars from the UK before the retailers there adjust their pricing upwards!
Old 10-10-2016, 08:12 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
If we were organised we should put together a container load of parts and tyres (Michelin etc) for our cars from the UK before the retailers there adjust their pricing upwards!
I'd considered it, but you're looking at saving $100 (before shipping) for a single rear 305 MPSC2. My recent experience with road hazard cover has highlighted the value of purchasing tyres locally.

Looked into parts such as exhaust and suspension, and thanks to the well established freight forwarding service in LA and a lower retail cost, it's still cheaper to get most parts from the USA. Need the £ to drop a little more before that changes.

We should be considering a container of GT4's!
Old 10-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
I'd considered it, but you're looking at saving $100 (before shipping) for a single rear 305 MPSC2. My recent experience with road hazard cover has highlighted the value of purchasing tyres locally.

Looked into parts such as exhaust and suspension, and thanks to the well established freight forwarding service in LA and a lower retail cost, it's still cheaper to get most parts from the USA. Need the £ to drop a little more before that changes.

We should be considering a container of GT4's!
I guess you are right Jake. I suspect once the weaker Euro/GBP filters down into local Michelin tyre pricing and the GBP weakens off a bit more it may start to make some sense but probably not now.

The issue with the GT4 is finding VAT Qualifying examples. Ive got someone looking at this but every VAT qualifying example of almost every car that could be considered desirable and viable is currently being snapped up by exporters! I imagine many of these various are coming to NZ so we should see some changes in the local market place by Xmas. Local official importers of BMW, Mercedes, Porsche etc are really going to have their work cut out for them in 2017...
Old 10-11-2016, 12:00 AM
andy928
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Is this the style of tail you are after?
Attached Images   
Old 10-11-2016, 05:10 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
Been a big week on the P Car front, finally have all three back from the garage.

SC has had the suspension overhauled 23 front 31 rear torsion bars, adjustable front sway, new urethane all round, turbo tie rods, rebuilt dampers, neg camber ball joints, neg top plates, new strut tops, rear arms, semi solid engine & gearbox mounts. The car is a revelation, night and day, probably the best Porsche money I've spent.

The new exhaust & turbo on the 930 isn't quite what I expected, doesn't feel like any power has been gained, however the car is far more driveable, the boost kicks in around 2500 instead of 3500 and feels more progressive, I think it takes some "special" from the car as the on/off nature has been taken a little, definitely an improvement, but only worthwhile if your current setup is shot in my view, I have only driven the car from Grey Lynn to Milford so far, so maybe a good drive is needed.

GT3 now goes in for new rear shocks.

Between the uprated brakes, rebuilt box & suspension, the SC has become a rock solid car, so light to drive, should really do at least one TACCOC event in it.
I did the same suspension mod's to my C3 and it was night and day too (expecially given the suspension was 40 years old) - the old girls just dance in a way anything over 1200kg's can't. I am trying very hard to not visit P9 on the GC at the moment and come home with 23/31 torsion bars for my 3.2 too (the GST and freight savings are tempting - but must not go down this slippery slope..........)

OK - too late, just sent the email to go see Stan.......

Shame you didn't get the benefit from the Turbo works you where hoping for, I have driven Nigel's 3.3T as a parade laps lead car, and was really impressed with his car, just no lag.........

P.s - you are not allowed to do 6GT3 mod's - you already have the fastest car in the 6GT3 clan :-) .

Finally - given the $10K a month pcar bills you are currently running, you must be conditioned for Cup Car ownership :-) ???
Old 10-11-2016, 07:15 AM
Pel
Pro

Thanks Andy, sent you a pm.

Macca the sound has more growl but no drone, been driving it today, was perhaps a bit hasty, the driveability is great, so much useable power.

Running 3 cars & paying 10k chunks has lost appeal, if your tracking a car, payment is either deferred maintence or depreciation, otherwise it's pass the parcel. Would love a cup car, but would probably end up living in it... hopefully one day.

Once the GT3 comes back I will sell two cars, the 930 & probably the GT3, my thinking is the SC can do classic racing or targa if I get the itch, living with reduced power will take some getting used to, probably your line of thinking with a 944 Paul.

The slippery slope is tempting especially on holiday, torsion bars will not be easy to hide in your baggage mate.

If the GT3 goes back offering manual next year, I wonder the impact on 911r values..

Last edited by Pel; 10-11-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:35 AM
Pel
Pro

Mark when is the RS turning up? Destined for a storage unit or will you be settled in NZ??
Old 10-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pel. Sounds like the exhaust and you just needed a bit more time to bond! Drone is the enemy, so an exhaust with no drone has nailed half the remit IMO.

I think the SC is the one out of the three. It ticks all the boxes and its not a cars and coffee car which means you can use it and enjoy it without guilt. You've done well with the market on the 930 and the GT3 will wipe its own *** as you bought well to start with. So all in all its been a cheap hobby, heck the 930 appreciation probably covers all the fun you've had keeping all the cars on adventures to date. Well done!

Me, well I'm not yet regretting becoming a single Porsche guy. There is just so much great metal out there and so much coming. We are living in a renaissance period, new cars are cheap compared to other asset classes, they dont seem to depreciate much if you choose the right ones and the manufacturers have started to wake up and announce new models that dont just compete for ultimate speed but involvement too (weight and MT becoming more a focus again for some manufacturers).

The key I think is to get ion as many lists as you can. Then decide if you want or can afford the car later. You can make the proceeds of the sale of one car go a long way in terms of "options" this way.

I've been busy seeding my options in this regard with the funds from the 993 sale. First the Focus RS , then the Alfa Giulia QV (heart over head that one!) and more recently on a couple of lists for 991.2 GT3.

In answer to your question, after contacting Ford last week with my order number I have been advised that there has been a delay and my car is now not being built until December. It should arrive in NZ beginning of Feb. This is actually ok as I do not indeed to return till Feb myself. The first 50 odd cars delivered were MY2016 with Sync2 ICE system. They sold out immediately they were announced at $69.9K each. I was very lucky (timing) to get an order in May when Ford released a final 17 units to be built in 2016. They lasted 24 hours and I got my deposit down on time. Same price as before. These cars are mostly MY2017 build (after 21 Sept 2016 when the MY changes) and have the Sync3 ICE (Apple car play etc) and a few minor running revisions. Ford NZ have now advised there will be no further cars delivered until "late 2017". This will be the final run before the production ceases. They have put the price up to 72.9K for these orders. The secondary market has gone a bit mad in NZ with this car as it did not get reviewed by magazines until the first batch was sold out, and there is pent up demand with no supply. Cars have been advertised above list, even ex demo with 2-3000km. After the price hike a few weeks ago, it appears to have got even more stupid. There are four on TM ranging from 75K-84K! I have no idea if they will move at that price but I do know some of the cars sold on TM by the dealers last month exceeded their original list price. Its a mad world.

Initially I wasn't too excited by this car. It seemed like an interesting hot hatch which would serve well as a DD (4WD, 5 doors) in the Central North Island for 2017 and not loose me too much money. Reports suggested it was a great fun car to drive too. I even thought Id try it on the track. Then a friend picked his up in June. Hes returned from a Canada work stint and is based in WTGN. He has bought the Cobb handset with the new Tune+ map for the car (it comes with a subscription to the tuner in the US - you run the car up on the road with the Cobb AP handset attached and then send the files and they keep tweaking the file till its perfect for you car and fuel etc). The tune alone adds around 50 bhp/80nm with a drop in air filter. The car becomes 400 bhp/550nm for around $1500 NZD including the Cobb tuner. These tunes have been tested on the dyno by many owners now as over 5000 of these cars have been delivered around the world including the States. My mate swears its a different car - drive-ability is excellent, got rid of the silly stop start function, pulls hard and is noticeably quicker with a better torque curve!

Now its been a long long time since I owned a turbo charged car so this is all new to be. But $1500 to gain 50bhp/80nm through a simple flash and filter seems insanely good value. Some guys are going further with upgraded intercoolers and turbos but thats warranty cancelling stuff. Also its a relatively new car with a complex AWD system using a trick rear diff so all this extra power needs some trial time -especially on the track where temperatures are a real issue.

I started to get much more excited when I finally knew someone that was really enjoying the car and then played with the Cobb upgrade.

Then the the possibility to export a new Alfa Giulia from the UK came about via a broker I became acquainted too. I have to say I have loved this car from the moment it was conceived a few years back and have followed every news rel;ease on it. A real finger up to the German M3/C63 establishment, a looker too with exotic materials build and real fire power. Ferrari designed the engine and the 458 Speciale team designed the suspension. Has passion with a capital P built into it (probably with Guido's left over Oreo from smoko in there too!). Smells like an Italian hotrod sedan top me - just like my e39 M5 from before but this time with a bit more attitude. The performance data looks good, the german magazines were fairly biased and in MT version its not perfectly resolved but the Ring lap it put in was inspirational IMO, and CH just placed it second in the biggest TG event of the year ahead of the other three cars in the shortlist (Macca 675LT, 488 etc). Yes and its an Alfa!

So now Im down the rabbit hole on the Alfa Giulia QV. Madness indeed given the dealer network in NZ is mostly non existent at this time and Im sure after sales service even with an international warranty will be woefully slow. Heck Ill probably end up having to troubleshoot my own issues. But then I had to do that with the GT3 too as anyone who has visited the GT3 board will know. Even the almighty PAG engineering prowess was not up to the task for the latest generation of GT cars it would seem....

Ok, now I have two cars inbound to a place I dont currently reside. One is due early mid Feb the other by March.

Now the missus wasn't too hot on the Focus RS. "Oh, that blue is so strong, I dont like that colour and yuk those Recaro sport bucket seats look really hard to sit in". She wants a MK 7 Golf GTI in silver. Thing is the RS will be fun, practical too and it wont depreciate much. Her brand new Golf will be a boring drive in comparison and it will shed value like a Gecko does skin!

Then I dropped the Alfa bomb! I wrapped it up in a European Holiday to make it taste better. Of course that ruins any fiscal advantage of self importing and then some! I was offered storage by the exporter for 3 months to tie us over till its a bit warmer in the UK/Europe. June. I thought that would float it past "go". But no, its doenst seem like thats an easy option with the insurance lark. It was optimistic. "Whats happening to the Ford Focus RS when the Alfa arrives?" was the retort. Now I had thought this one through, and didnt like my chances, but figured the Focus RS could be her wheels. Im mean, she would be the coolest 40s chick in central north island right? Once the bros have her a hoot and the young guys with the caps waved her on I figured shed feel like Snoop Doggys squeeze and it would all be cool - even in "Nitrous Blue". Nup. Doesnt wash. Silver Golf please! I still have to do some work here....

Lets just say I have been sleeping in the single room since then! Im a warrior so I havent given in yet, but i may be a "gelded warrior" by the time Im through!

Tell me what can be wrong with my "Red, White and blue" strategy (Alfa, GT3, FocRS)? Three of the most exciting cars this decade. One good on the track, one good on the road and for long touring and being a bit grown up and the other a fast manual hatchback for weekend B roads, targa tours and wannabe rally raids? Oh and to take the missus to The Warehouse too...

Guys I need help on many levels. Something in my planning isn't going to work. I either need to give away my Alfa dream, sell on my Ford Focus RS order or buy a bloody big diamond (which will depreciate to "zero" the moment the cheque is drawn!). Its hard being a married fiscally conscious car guy in the 21st century aye! The back up plan is to get the Focus RS first, tell Jo its a temporary "Golf" until the Alfa arrives, muddle through like that as long as possible before ultimatum day, then sell the Alfa or the Focus RS (whichever pulls the heart strings least of all) and use the funds to buy a silver Golf. Silver!

Women dont get cars. All they are interested in is the colour and if it has a "nice face". In a perfect world Id marry Buba and we'd live in a converted garage next to a race track full of cars with two bunk beds. We would dial out for pizza and hookers. But Buba is into wearing red high heels when hes in the kitchen and Im not ready for that just yet LOL!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Macca; 10-11-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:19 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
Thanks Andy, sent you a pm. Macca the sound has more growl but no drone, been driving it today, was perhaps a bit hasty, the driveability is great, so much useable power. Running 3 cars & paying 10k chunks has lost appeal, if your tracking a car, payment is either deferred maintence or depreciation, otherwise it's pass the parcel. Would love a cup car, but would probably end up living in it... hopefully one day. Once the GT3 comes back I will sell two cars, the 930 & probably the GT3, my thinking is the SC can do classic racing or targa if I get the itch, living with reduced power will take some getting used to, probably your line of thinking with a 944 Paul. The slippery slope is tempting especially on holiday, torsion bars will not be easy to hide in your baggage mate. If the GT3 goes back offering manual next year, I wonder the impact on 911r values..
At times I have wondered if I would be left as one of a very small group running an air cooled car on road trips (Doug is in the Boxster this weekend) and at the track, but there appears to be a resurgence. You might to be coming back to the SC, Chris B is bringing the 964 to the NITT, and I'm aware that another 964 purchase is being worked on in the core RSG group. Things are looking up for a return to groups of similarly paced older cars
Old 10-11-2016, 02:30 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Macca, we have been through this subject before. Partners want what they want. Get the Silver Golf and then go through the machinations until you end up with a 991.2 GT3 as your only car. If it wasn't for the Naki trips Donna wouldn't get out of her Golf for the Cayenne and she's never going to volunteer for the 964s. Just the natural order of things!
Old 10-11-2016, 03:35 PM
Garry D
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't do it Paul , just buy the cheapest 911 for a track hack or Pel's GT3
you have one of the best 3.2 in NZ at the moment !

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I did the same suspension mod's to my C3 and it was night and day too (expecially given the suspension was 40 years old) - the old girls just dance in a way anything over 1200kg's can't. I am trying very hard to not visit P9 on the GC at the moment and come home with 23/31 torsion bars for my 3.2 too (the GST and freight savings are tempting - but must not go down this slippery slope..........)

OK - too late, just sent the email to go see Stan.......

Shame you didn't get the benefit from the Turbo works you where hoping for, I have driven Nigel's 3.3T as a parade laps lead car, and was really impressed with his car, just no lag.........

P.s - you are not allowed to do 6GT3 mod's - you already have the fastest car in the 6GT3 clan :-) .

Finally - given the $10K a month pcar bills you are currently running, you must be conditioned for Cup Car ownership :-) ???
Old 10-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
At times I have wondered if I would be left as one of a very small group running an air cooled car on road trips (Doug is in the Boxster this weekend) and at the track, but there appears to be a resurgence. You might to be coming back to the SC, Chris B is bringing the 964 to the NITT, and I'm aware that another 964 purchase is being worked on in the core RSG group. Things are looking up for a return to groups of similarly paced older cars
Yeah. Pel forgot to tel you about the new GT3/4 he's adding instead ha ha!

RSG is struggling a bit. I'm not sure what 2017 will look like.

If you take away SITT and NITT RSG only had 3 organised days in 2016. Might be cars and coffee year for many lol! I'm going to try and make 2017 a big track year personally. 12 full days in one year is my record (2016) so I'd like to at least match that....
Old 10-11-2016, 05:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Macca, we have been through this subject before. Partners want what they want. Get the Silver Golf and then go through the machinations until you end up with a 991.2 GT3 as your only car. If it wasn't for the Naki trips Donna wouldn't get out of her Golf for the Cayenne and she's never going to volunteer for the 964s. Just the natural order of things!
You are right of course John. Jo will be doing a lot of Auck/Taup mileage in this car though. I am thinking to find something in UK to add to the container that will be depreciation proof for a year. Macan S (petrol) work but are on 6 month back order. I spent yesterday speccing in up on UK configurator against NZ dealer demo spec model and the landed saving on road is around 24% which is viable. I'm struggling to get her interested in that. She wants a wee little cute Golf in Silver....
Old 10-11-2016, 05:38 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel

The slippery slope is tempting especially on holiday, torsion bars will not be easy to hide in your baggage mate.

I got the C3 ones in this way about 6 years ago

I now have 3 extra suit cases to spread the load.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?