Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Good thread on them here: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=906404&page=1
Old 09-28-2016, 05:08 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
All right, you've twisted my rubber arm... I've been thinking about it, but it's a touchy subject with the missus with a new baby in the house. I've signed up on the premise that it's easier to get forgiveness than permission. (I think you used the same theory for your new cars?) I certainly have fond memories of the first NITT, and of course Taupo in subsequent years. I hope to get back to Manfeild one day.
Great news. You introduced me to RSG on day one. Was the beginning of a new chapter. See you at Taupo mate :-P
Old 09-28-2016, 05:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The ACR Viper & Mustang GT350R are gifts from the track gods to mere mortal moneyed enthusiasts...
Old 09-28-2016, 05:23 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
I've seen nothing but praise for these. They seem like an absolute steal given the performance on track, and I'd have one in a heartbeat. Apparently this guy is trading the car that he "picked up for $2000" for one soon. Hopefully it comes with a free pair of shoes...
Haha god, at least he's using force 10
Old 09-28-2016, 05:33 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Great news. You introduced me to RSG on day one. Was the beginning of a new chapter. See you at Taupo mate :-P
Ha ha, you would have found RSG anyway. You were fizzing about being on track

It'll be great to catch up. And I hope you're still driving the long way in a few years, because I'll be keen.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
This pricing feels like another euro touring trip, track days, pick up could be in the planning. Sounds like the boys over there now are already thinking about going back. Or at least JMcM by his comments.
I've gone off the idea of bringing a 964 to Europe based on the driving I'm doing in France, which is likely the type I would do on an extended holiday. RHD in LHD countries wouldn't be much fun and I suspect that a car ripping though quiet country lanes is missing the point. There is a real bias to driving within the rules here and you'd be little more than a bogan.

All of that said, great pricing on the sporty water pumpers and a delivery trip would add to the fun if you could fit Spa and the Ring in. Maybe a lightly used GT4 for $100k in two or three years would be the all rounder track car of choice?

Like the guy in the new Petrolicious video I'll be in 964 land for the rest of my days but I'll still watch the evolution of the track cars with interest.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:31 PM
sammaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi John McM,

Yes agree RHD in LHD countrys can get tiresome especially on the motorway tolls. You really need a passenger. Have done a number of Euro trips in a 911 3.2 and a 996. Its difficult to drive much further than france from London in the 3.2 but the 996 you can easily drive to Poland(krakow) in a day where the roads are much quieter and speeds seem a bit more liberated. + closer to the mountain roads in Romania via the mountain roads in Slovakia. The 3.2 still brings more smiles to me, but the newer water cooled cars are a lot more comfortable (and has air con). only done the ring once, on the way back, and its mostly due to tyres. a 7k Km+ tour plus a few laps on the ring, and you not getting home to the uk with out some new tyres and a service.

After i move back to NZ, i will likely buy a 997.2 C4s to do another euro tour in, and then ship it back on completion. the delta between newer watercooled cars in the UK and NZ is significant with current exchange rates. The opposite is actually true for the air cooled so you could rego it in the UK and use it in euro(avoids a lot of speed camera fines due to non sharing of the DVLA to the rest of euro ). You may get pulled over by the police and taken to an ATM in france if you do get caught speeding via actual police car as they know they cant enforce the ticket other wise. Then when you ready to go back, sell it and buy a new one in NZ + take the GT4

sending mine back at the moment, its about 1500 pounds door to door on the roll on, a bit cheaper via container.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I've gone off the idea of bringing a 964 to Europe based on the driving I'm doing in France, which is likely the type I would do on an extended holiday. RHD in LHD countries wouldn't be much fun and I suspect that a car ripping though quiet country lanes is missing the point. There is a real bias to driving within the rules here and you'd be little more than a bogan. All of that said, great pricing on the sporty water pumpers and a delivery trip would add to the fun if you could fit Spa and the Ring in. Maybe a lightly used GT4 for $100k in two or three years would be the all rounder track car of choice? Like the guy in the new Petrolicious video I'll be in 964 land for the rest of my days but I'll still watch the evolution of the track cars with interest.
John, RHD in LHD is entirely manageable. We did a month like this I the GT3 and I actually found it preferable to LHD in LHD because this way I was closer to the foot path so could keep an eye on those mad Italian mopeds. All longer journeys were done with a passenger so no problem with tolls...

Although some of my most wicked high speed drives have been in France - I usually spend more time driving in Italy. You will find the Italians are far more accepting if speed and fast cars. I was being overtaken doing 160kmph on the Autostradas (speed limit technically 130), by kids in Smart cars taking pictures on iPhones. To avoid this we travelled 170-180kmph everywhere with issue and still got overtaken by the odd exotic.

Driving a Porsche or something nice across Europe especially on some of the iconic passes is to me a dream all car nuts should experience before they go. From Montpellier to Montenegro there are some unreal switchbacks, ravine runs, hill passes, bridges and alpine crosses that will take you breath away!
Old 09-28-2016, 05:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sammaw
Hi John McM, Yes agree RHD in LHD countrys can get tiresome especially on the motorway tolls. You really need a passenger. Have done a number of Euro trips in a 911 3.2 and a 996. Its difficult to drive much further than france from London in the 3.2 but the 996 you can easily drive to Poland(krakow) in a day where the roads are much quieter and speeds seem a bit more liberated. + closer to the mountain roads in Romania via the mountain roads in Slovakia. The 3.2 still brings more smiles to me, but the newer water cooled cars are a lot more comfortable (and has air con). only done the ring once, on the way back, and its mostly due to tyres. a 7k Km+ tour plus a few laps on the ring, and you not getting home to the uk with out some new tyres and a service. After i move back to NZ, i will likely buy a 997.2 C4s to do another euro tour in, and then ship it back on completion. the delta between newer watercooled cars in the UK and NZ is significant with current exchange rates. The opposite is actually true for the air cooled so you could rego it in the UK and use it in euro(avoids a lot of speed camera fines due to non sharing of the DVLA to the rest of euro ). You may get pulled over by the police and taken to an ATM in france if you do get caught speeding via actual police car as they know they cant enforce the ticket other wise. Then when you ready to go back, sell it and buy a new one in NZ + take the GT4 sending mine back at the moment, its about 1500 pounds door to door on the roll on, a bit cheaper via container.
Sam I have a 14 day hole in my 2017 planned itinerary. Will be returning to Genoa via Ferry from Sicily (so North West Italy). Jo says she wants to go Croatia and down the coast. I'd value your advice by PM. Wondering what roads to hit, any advice on driving there and ideas on what to see and where to stay. Might go as far as Monte but have only 14 days for that leg. My other idea was Sardinia but after two weeks in Sicily would rather not another island. Fall back is flight to Greece...

Last edited by Macca; 09-28-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Old 09-29-2016, 04:06 AM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca
Agreed Dave. I already heard of someone who picked up a new GT4 with good options (delivery mileage) in UK for 82k (original list was 72k with options so still over retail) and is sending it to NZ. Will owe him just over 145k landed. Seems excellent value to me. Let's hope we start building up sticks of interesting cars here again in the next few years. The NZ market just got greedy. It's now priced higher than UK for sure...
Is this buying new cars from the factory or buying a "new car" second hand?
Old 09-29-2016, 05:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Latter. New car via JZM/Maltons or the like (they are Personal export scheme Qualified for VAT etc). These are new cars that have been bought by speculators who then sell them on through the Independent channel in order they do not attract the negative attention of the OPC who supplied them as they are invariably asking +++ on RRP immediately after taking possession.

If you bought the car from the Factory or UK dealer it would be cheaper than 82K GBP (it would be 72K GBP as that was the 65K GBP base list plus the sport seats, Nav and leather options etc).

There are also guys set up that buy new from dealers via companies they have set up for this purpose, then export ex VAT to buyers around the world. Its a big business right now. The difficult thing with Porsche is actually getting an allocation for GT cars in the first instance 0 this makes it harder for the exporters to get on a list!

Probably worth me pitching in with the personal view that although the local agents may be more expensive, they do provide an exemplary service when compared to may overseas dealers (and naturally grey importing). I can hand on heart say that EMD and CCS have been instrumental in restoring my faith in the local Porsche sale and after sales support channel in the last few years since I've had my GT3. I promised them I would give them my business (assumes they were relatively competitive) if I were to order again a brand new Porsche in the future. I really would like to do business locally with these guys. They have looked after me well in the past....

Last edited by Macca; 09-29-2016 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:48 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Today was the first chance in well over a month to drive the 944. To work and back, in the rain. Had to jump it both ways.

Still enjoyed it!
Old 09-29-2016, 09:05 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca
Latter. New car via JZM/Maltons or the like (they are Personal export scheme Qualified for VAT etc). These are new cars that have been bought by speculators who then sell them on through the Independent channel in order they do not attract the negative attention of the OPC who supplied them as they are invariably asking +++ on RRP immediately after taking possession.

If you bought the car from the Factory or UK dealer it would be cheaper than 82K GBP (it would be 72K GBP as that was the 65K GBP base list plus the sport seats, Nav and leather options etc).

There are also guys set up that buy new from dealers via companies they have set up for this purpose, then export ex VAT to buyers around the world. Its a big business right now. The difficult thing with Porsche is actually getting an allocation for GT cars in the first instance 0 this makes it harder for the exporters to get on a list!

Probably worth me pitching in with the personal view that although the local agents may be more expensive, they do provide an exemplary service when compared to may overseas dealers (and naturally grey importing). I can hand on heart say that EMD and CCS have been instrumental in restoring my faith in the local Porsche sale and after sales support channel in the last few years since I've had my GT3. I promised them I would give them my business (assumes they were relatively competitive) if I were to order again a brand new Porsche in the future. I really would like to do business locally with these guys. They have looked after me well in the past....
Yes local is by far preferable, although as you said earlier they are simply miles off on price competitiveness these days with the pound what it is. I would love to see NZ prices drastically reduced to compensate but I don't see it happening sadly.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:05 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Today was the first chance in well over a month to drive the 944. To work and back, in the rain. Had to jump it both ways.

Still enjoyed it!
Good man!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?