Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 06:07 PM
nmaisey
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Interesting. So like RSG but 15 years younger membership and with skanks. Oh and with multi marque acceptance and no apparent focus on track work or fast road driving. But they have a better website and 3x the members! Im signing up!
haha that is a pretty good summary of cjc Macca. I'm a new member but know a lot of the founding guys from my "old Honda days". Anthony Wong (with the rwb) being one of them. They all share the same passion. A love for cars, Motorsport and banter. Man they have some good banter. It's not too dissimilar from rsg.

My new track hack went really well at Taupo on Monday with Pel. What a great track that is. It's so technical it feels almost like a wish to get a "perfect lap" where you get all the right lines, all the right gears, all the right braking etc

The e46 m3 is about 4-5 seconds quicker than my tip 964 and I still think there is another second to be found with late braking (I was hitting the picks at the 200m mark on the straight) being my first time out properly in the car I was erring on the side of caution and learning my new limits.

Pels gt3 was awesome. Enough said.

Great pics from your travels John and co, that's definitely on my bucket list!
Old 09-22-2016, 04:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great news about the M3 Nathan. I've always liked the e46.

I like banter. And skanks. Maybe I should ask to join once I have my Ford Focus RS (with Tune+ ECU upgrade - it might make me almost respectable?). May have to ask you to give me a leg up on that!?!

Taupo is my favorite track, although I rarely get there. Always striving to get all the lines working well in the same lap and have only managed to do that a few times LOL! Its better now they have taken the drum away at the end of the back straight, haven't tried it in the GT3 but it shaved 1.5s or more a lap from my 993 times and really improved the flow.

Is your M3 stock? If so that a very good improvement of the 964 in terms of lap times. I assume you are running something track oriented for tyres? I hear the brakes can be a weak point, but I suspect fluids and pads will hold them till you squeeze more speed out of it. Theres definitely 3-4 tenths left on the table on the back straight leaving it till the 125-150m mark. Ive done it just before 100 and managed to get through ok but its close to the wind and once I left it a fraction late and had to go straight ahead to scrub off some speed on the old drag strip part!

They do $125 "test" days at Taupo twice a month. Im going to organise a few when Im down there. Mid week things, Pel attended the last one, really great - maybe 5-10 cars have the whole place to yourself!
Old 09-22-2016, 04:59 AM
nmaisey
Rennlist Member

I like banter. And skanks. Maybe I should ask to join once I have my Ford Focus RS (with Tune+ ECU upgrade - it might make me almost respectable?). May have to ask you to give me a leg up on that!?!

Taupo is my favorite track, although I rarely get there. Always striving to get all the lines working well in the same lap and have only managed to do that a few times LOL! Its better now they have taken the drum away at the end of the back straight, haven't tried it in the GT3 but it shaved 1.5s or more a lap from my 993 times and really improved the flow.

Is your M3 stock? If so that a very good improvement of the 964 in terms of lap times. I assume you are running something track oriented for tyres? I hear the brakes can be a weak point, but I suspect fluids and pads will hold them till you squeeze more speed out of it. Theres definitely 3-4 tenths left on the table on the back straight leaving it till the 125-150m mark. Ive done it just before 100 and managed to get through ok but its close to the wind and once I left it a fraction late and had to go straight ahead to scrub off some speed on the old drag strip part!

They do $125 "test" days at Taupo twice a month. Im going to organise a few when Im down there. Mid week things, Pel attended the last one, really great - maybe 5-10 cars have the whole place to yourself!
Id be keen on the test days too do add me to your list.

I have some some relatively worn Dunlop 03g and they felt OK. I still rate the hankook z221 over them but hard to compare properly when I haven't had the z221 on the m3 yet.

Everything engine wise is stock apart from an ecu reflash to csl specs. Suspension is aftermarket coil overs and I have 10in wide rims right round. Has camber arms and some solid bushes around the place. Subframes also been reinforced as this is a known weak point. I felt the brakes were good. But am due some new front rotors and will get a decent track pad while I'm doing them. Running ate gold fluid and that was awesome no complaints there but not cheap as you guys know.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:30 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Those $125 test days are now $150 Playday days!!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:54 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi mate. Good news. Playdays decided not to run these. Jackie confirmed three weeks ago they are still running like before - have sent you the email - yay!!!
Old 09-22-2016, 07:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nmaisey
Id be keen on the test days too do add me to your list. I have some some relatively worn Dunlop 03g and they felt OK. I still rate the hankook z221 over them but hard to compare properly when I haven't had the z221 on the m3 yet. Everything engine wise is stock apart from an ecu reflash to csl specs. Suspension is aftermarket coil overs and I have 10in wide rims right round. Has camber arms and some solid bushes around the place. Subframes also been reinforced as this is a known weak point. I felt the brakes were good. But am due some new front rotors and will get a decent track pad while I'm doing them. Running ate gold fluid and that was awesome no complaints there but not cheap as you guys know.
Definitely will do mate. It was a key reason to be based in Taupo lol! Little renegade group of mid week track junkies.

That M3 sounds pretty well sorted in the engine department. For the investment a pretty good lap time return when you compare to vintage Porsche metal.

Set up on fresh rubber, with good pads and a little more seat time what do you think it's good for at Taupo? 1.47?1.48?
Old 09-22-2016, 10:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Thanks for the trip updates guys. Is Steve (or anyone else) eyeing up any new acquisitions?
No new acquisitions Michael, which I think our wives welcome as adding the stress of purchasing, insuring, driving and ultimately shipping a car would impact on the holiday. In any case, aside from the vat eligible cars I'm not sure where the European market would provide opportunities to profit from in NZ.

Interesting reading about the tale of the dragon. The more driving we do in Europe, the more I see why they drive what they do. Aside from the open sections of autobahn there really isn't any opportunity to stretch a fast car, except the track. Garaging and parking in the cities seems problematic as well. The hot hatch is where it's at.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:02 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Looks like I'm back sooner than expected... John Mc's old 996 Turbo was too hard to pass up on.

Price means I can spend a bit on refreshing the suspension and giving the rest a once over. Good times ahead!
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2016, 05:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Well done Chris welcome back.

John. Whilst I agree with you about city driving, Europe has some truly wonderful and relatively un-populated back roads - world class ones at that. If you are in South France then look up Route Napolean and Alpes De Maritimes. I did an 8 hour drive on these without virtually any traffic (or wife!) - although it was off season. France/Italy are full of passes open this time of year - especially look for those going to closed ski fields. There are tonnes more we found but I cant recall exactly the names, many in Italy especially around Rapello and San Remo. Actually I just went driving there and returned 10 hours later having driven some of the best roads of my life (To Bobbio) real switch backs and hill climbs and passes through small villages. A number of the videos are on our Youtube channel (under Jos name).

In the town and cities on the main routes in warmer months yes I think its going to be traffic. If you guys have some time look up Evo magazine best driving routes for some ideas in your area. Ive been reading these for years and they have some great suggestions all around Europe. There's bound to be some epic drives not far from where you are staying in France but they may not be worth the hike given your time on the ground.

Where you are in Lyon, there are some awesome drives I identified back in 2013 up near Grenoble & Chambery - infact you are close to some really good and lesser known passes there as well as closed ski fields and national parkland.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. Epic picture Chris!
Old 09-22-2016, 07:40 PM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
Leong there's a Playday 30th October. 29th is booked by "Circle Jerk Crew"??
My bad, yes the 30th. Should have a couple of GT4's and a GT3 to play with.

I cant believe you already have more track days on your GT4 in 9 months than I have on my GT3 in almost 3 years! Offshore can have its downsides.

You did well with those front rotors though. 16 days and a couple of Targa Tours. That must be due to the lower weight and better weight distribution of the Cayman. I reckon Ill be changing out after NITT so 9 days. Probably could get another 1 in to make it 10 but likely wont chance it. The rear rotors seem to last forever. Id imagine mine will go 22-23 days. Id imagine yours should be good for at least that too so should get you through some of summer.

Im thinking of fitting a Spiegler 6 line kit after NITT when my front rotors need swapping over (I have some 50% ones from before in storage). Makes hanging the calipers during a pad/rotor change simple. I think with the stud kit we both have will save 30 mins a change and less chance of damage. So should pay for itself over a few pad and rotor changes.
I was like that with the bike Trackdays too - addicted! I was so much smarter then - $700 for a new set of the best tyres, $130 for front pads and it was great fun working on the bike myself too. Taupo was my favourite track too with hundreds of laps around there.

Thanks for the tip about the Spiegler 6 line kit. Jeff mentioned this previously, once he realised that changing pads on my car was going to be a frequent thing. Looks like a nice kit.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:58 AM
nmaisey
Rennlist Member

Definitely will do mate. It was a key reason to be based in Taupo lol! Little renegade group of mid week track junkies.

That M3 sounds pretty well sorted in the engine department. For the investment a pretty good lap time return when you compare to vintage Porsche metal.

Set up on fresh rubber, with good pads and a little more seat time what do you think it's good for at Taupo? 1.47?1.48?
1.48 is where I'll be aiming for Macca.

Low 1.50s consistently on Monday. But I want to be at the 1.48 mark. I think a lot of it will be made up with seat time
Old 09-23-2016, 03:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

If you can break into the 1.48's you should be very happy I would think. Seat time will help. That will put you in contention with some well driven Caymans and 996s C2 etc.

I have been trying to get a feel for what the Ford Focus RS will run (stock) at Taupo on the MPSS road tyres it will arrive on. The weight and bhp are almost identical to your car (dependent on whether yours is manual or SMG?). However the RS has a 100lbft slug of torque advantage. Disadvantages would be the tyres and 4WD (unless wet). Also I suspect the e46 is a bit more aero efficient and has a better centre of gravity.

Overall I think Id be very happy if I could get a 1.50 flat, stock, and maybe 1.48 flat with a tune and some R comp tyres.

Keep us informed of your progress.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:20 AM
Garry D
Instructor

Great to have you back Chris , cool car , that's going to be a lot of fun .

Originally Posted by Chris_chch
Looks like I'm back sooner than expected... John Mc's old 996 Turbo was too hard to pass up on.

Price means I can spend a bit on refreshing the suspension and giving the rest a once over. Good times ahead!
Old 09-23-2016, 09:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The turnout is looking good for Rennsport Gruppe (RSG) North Island Track Tour (NITT) in 7 weeks time. Cant wait. Hope its dry. Looks like we have most the inaugural crew together. Its our fourth year running. Still a couple of spots left if anyone is interested...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?