Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 03:34 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
After 2 days of Rennsport, I'm seriously hanging for a track day. Jeff has the new suspension in the GT3 and spending the weekend sending me 'scenic B road photos' and dialing it in. Will be interesting to see if old GT3 can be tamed..... I am posting 100's of pic's on PCNZ facebook when time allows. We got to meet Magnus, who was awesome.
Still spots available in the Prestige Group on 5 June. I'm doing that day in regular group. Are you allowed to run at the PCNZ day - or will the organising rule you out

Looks like a lot of awesome cars across the ditch. Such a shame that it is logistically difficult to get our cars across there and arrange the equivalent of a SITT.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:41 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Wow. Blast from the past!

Lets see - a decade ago!

2006, got married Jan and then told the missus we were moving to Vanuatu in March.

993 had full glass out respray in 2005 and was tidied up as center piece of our wedding.

Had a 968 6spd I sold in late 2005 (Scott H now has) which was a DD and used on the track in 2005 for a PCNZ driver training.

I had used the 993 in 2004 for the same on a filthy wet day spun into the mud which necessitated a hoist, wheel off and guard liner removal to remove the mud! which led to decision to have the 993 paint sorted out which through scope creep became a glass out repaint. I had used the car as a DD in 2000/2001 before relocating to WTGN where it became a weekend car as I didnt need to drive to work.

So its a decade and a circle - but Im glad I pulled out of the "its too nice to drive hard" death spiral. I watched others loose this battle (Paul), some are still teetering daily on the cusp (John) and some are wearing it with pride (Dave).

Been an interesting journey Pete, that is for sure...:-)
Yeah, Doug's cape to cape 1800km soirée includes a bit of gravel so that will add a few more chips to the T. A good drive of the SC today after new tyres, alignment, oils etc and hard to go past that for the coast to coast drive.
Funny thing, since I haven't been working, Porsche spending has rocketed. Not sustainable.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:43 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jeff has the new suspension in the GT3 and spending the weekend sending me 'scenic B road photos' and dialing it in.
What have you had done??
Old 05-01-2016, 03:46 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Just watching Historic racing at Rennsport and couldn't agree more about similar guys/cars to run with is the key.

I'm not sure about Taupo as I don't know what my work schedule is yet. I plan to put my new Z221s on the new to me wheels next weekend so they are ready for action whenever it comes. It would be great to run with other air cooled or even kettles with similar pace.
I got me some R888's to have a go with those and see if extra sticky makes much difference. Dunlops were great to learn the car with and great on the road but soon found them going off after about 6 laps in the hot weather at the festival. I got a set of those for the SC for exclusively road driving, they aren't noisy at all.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:50 AM
Maxem
Drifting

After 2 days of Rennsport, I'm seriously hanging for a track day. Jeff has the new suspension in the GT3 and spending the weekend sending me 'scenic B road photos' and dialing it in. Will be interesting to see if old GT3 can be tamed..... I am posting 100's of pic's on PCNZ facebook when time allows. We got to meet Magnus, who was awesome.
I think a trip to the next Rennsport reunion at Laguna Seca is on the cards.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:54 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Still spots available in the Prestige Group on 5 June. I'm doing that day in regular group. Are you allowed to run at the PCNZ day - or will the organising rule you out

Looks like a lot of awesome cars across the ditch. Such a shame that it is logistically difficult to get our cars across there and arrange the equivalent of a SITT.
Pete, I have to do duties at WOTY that weekend. I understand it costs $8k to container car there and back? Could be awesome bucket list adventure for next one in 2019-ish??? Plenty of road car sprints and race car events. Even reg trials for Macca :-)
Old 05-01-2016, 08:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
I think a trip to the next Rennsport reunion at Laguna Seca is on the cards.
That's the ticket boys. Save your schekles for America Rennsport Reunion I say. The Australian event is ok but won't Stoke the fires like the USA event on steroids IMO. Having done the full Lemans thing and 24 hr Nurburgring I think I've been a bit spoilt. I'm heading to Sebring for two days next month to their version of a Playdays. I've been told to expect full rig transporters with living quarters on board lol!

Very interested in how the Tractive dampers with DSC module handle on the GT3 Paul. That's the Rolls Royce$ of set ups so I expect it should make huge improvements over the factory set up. Report your findings. Leong and I have some insights into active suspension now. I'd be keen to get your take on it once you have been on track with the car...
Old 05-01-2016, 08:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's too expensive to send the car to Australia IMO. I went through the numbers when I looked at Tassie Targa Tour and Paul is about right...

To put it in perspective it's basically the same price to send your car to Europe return

Where would you rather carve up the road. Stelio Pass dawn raid with a few mates or back roads of Brisbane?
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2016, 06:16 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Yeah, Doug's cape to cape 1800km soirée includes a bit of gravel so that will add a few more chips to the T. A good drive of the SC today after new tyres, alignment, oils etc and hard to go past that for the coast to coast drive.
Funny thing, since I haven't been working, Porsche spending has rocketed. Not sustainable.
I know what you mean, I tried a cruisy life style for about 2 years - somewhere between no work and half time. But found if you want to do things like race cars (and buy road cars) you need pad out the income somehow otherwise you spend all day researching and spending.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:05 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pel
Yourself, Sam, Dave, Mark H, myself. Good start I reckon
I'm in :-P
Old 05-01-2016, 11:12 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
I'm in :-P
I've put my name in as well. We have the potential to run a pure air cooled group at this rate. Just need to round up the ones on the fence and cast the net wider.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:35 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I thought you'd enjoy that little vignette Macca - yes, there has been an awful lot of water under the bridge since then.

I don't follow Pistonheads too much these days (too many pissing contests) but this thread is a really good read. Lots of common sense from Steve Rance and very topical.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...f=48&t=1581771
I've been saying this for ages! Look back through when the arms race started on here and there's posts from me saying "or buy this" and a link to a cup car etc. The funny thing about lap times is there's generally always someone out there with more money or better skills. I'm actually happy pushing any car I have to the limit... well at least to my abilities albeit a 964 a 993 or whatever. Last track day at Taupo I had a blast and the car was hardly "track setup". Its a bit like going go-karting... you still manage to push yourself no matter what.

The problem with things like the Lotus etc (which are great cars) as I found when I deviated away from the 911 with the Saker is suddenly you're mixing with different people, the camaraderies different, not bad just different. You then have to build relationships with other marque dealers/parts/mechanics etc, you're comparisons aren't relative unless your comparing to other Lotus or whatever you choose to track, I could go on and on but thats why I keep coming back to P-cars.

Porsche, There is no Substitute
Old 05-02-2016, 01:36 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

That road Registered GT3 cup would have been the one. Being Road Legal you could have done Targa too.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:30 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I saw your car at Gillies on Wednesday - Looks good.... new rotors too? It'll be like a new car. So Jeff is tuning it? I'd be interested to know what the stock programming was in your DSC unit, e.g. whether they supply it with a specific setup for the Tractive dampers. I've registered for June 5 too, but in the Prestige group. Hopefully see you there.

I'll be logging data off my DSC unit at Taupo on Wednesday so Jeff will have some data he can use to set me and Mark up for NITT. Should be useful for you too. Unfortunately we're doing Track 4, not track 1 so no data on the A1 turn.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:34 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
I know what you mean, I tried a cruisy life style for about 2 years - somewhere between no work and half time. But found if you want to do things like race cars (and buy road cars) you need pad out the income somehow otherwise you spend all day researching and spending.
Haha, just as well I like my work

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?