Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 02:39 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Thanks Paul for the tip. I'll try that if i don't get a seat sorted. I only want a seat for track days not full time so comfort is secondary to a secure position as its only for short stints

PP's are nice as a permanent fixture i'll admit and tasty for track days but the buy in for a FIA approved seat are much less than that, circa $800 all in. Removing 30-40 kegs of OEM comfort seats and replacing with one sub 10 kg offers a nice bonus weight saving with the secure driving position. I hear what you say about drivers ed. I agree whole heartedly, and got more out of the PCNZ driver ed day than I thought i would

I have a C2 rear sway bar in the works. And a plan to look closer at the coil-overs in the near future. I believe Mr B has Koni's and an unknown spring so at the very least a shock rebuild, possibly different springs. At this stage i'm not intending to invest in KW's or Bilstein's - at least not until our peso improves, if ever. Tires when my current set wear out. Until i get another set of wheels in don't plan on having a set for street and another for track, if ever. I also want to change the engine/trans mounts and reinforce the engine carrier with a gusset

This week Peter at Gitraps is looking at my geo. I'm aiming for as close to RS settings as possible, possible dropping to front just a tad lower. It depends what the coilovers allow

Ultimately, my plan is to pick the low hanging fruit
My recommendation to any 64 C4 owner is to do what Pete did to his old car (now Gary's). This car drives increadibly well and the fastest stock-ish C4 with mid 19's at HD. Also still nice to drive on the road.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:47 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
I manage maybe an average of 5-6 track days a year on 3-4 different tracks. ..
Dude - you get more track time than most of us locals, especailly those who don't race........

It's been 2 years since I was doing 5 or more track days a year.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:52 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Guys - REGARDING TPC MODULE.

We still only have chris and I, with doug on if we can get a 4th person, as 4 or over is much more advantageous to us than 2-3.

So, do we have a fourth person???

Doug - are you still interested if we only get the 3?

Matt
To those considering this: I've had my car back for 5 days. Only yesterday did I realise that it was in 'track' mode (the stiffest setting). With the stock PASM module you'd know in a second due to the night and day difference (Sport mode is too harsh IMO).
Old 07-07-2015, 03:00 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

That being said Im not sure there was anything left in it other than gutting the interior and dropping the weight 80kg which may have given you half a second tops.
LOL! - 214's on the back too, a perfect day and the stars in alignment might of cracked a 15.XX!

They say 100kg's take a sec off your times, so doing a JMc and removing the passenger seat, installing a race seat, removing carpet, rear wiper, some sound insulation and going in for some 'li-po' might get me there.....

The quickest way you can learn to go fast in the GT3 IMO is to sit on Nigel Cs *** next time you are out! He got all ansy when I asked him if I could do this (he cited not wanting to give away his "special sauce")
Err - fastest way to go backwards into something too.

Nigel is the last of the late brakers.........

I might look to invite Stu to 15 Aug date. I respond well to his instruction, he is laid back and gives small increments of advice

Macca - do you want to go halves for Sept date?
Old 07-07-2015, 03:10 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
My recommendation to any 64 C4 owner is to do what Pete did to his old car (now Gary's). This car drives increadibly well and the fastest stock-ish C4 with mid 19's at HD. Also still nice to drive on the road.
And what did Pete do?
Old 07-07-2015, 03:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dude - you get more track time than most of us locals, especailly those who don't race........

It's been 2 years since I was doing 5 or more track days a year.
Pretty sure you racked up at least 10 last year Paul sprints included. This year has been quiet for all of us....
Old 07-07-2015, 03:20 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
That looks like a decent option. What would your upholsterers likely charge for this recover Warwick?
My guess would be around 2-2.5K full leather. Once you getting to that stage you may as well start to think about importing a set of leather PP's.

http://www.racerindustries.com.au/af...eat-Black.html

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Warwick, Dave's same Sabelt GT30 is now in the Grinch, if you're wanting to try it out for size.
Thanks though i've spoken to the supplier. He says he also does OMP as well so i'm going to try a few and see what works

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
And what did Pete do?
+964
Old 07-07-2015, 03:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

LOL! - 214's on the back too, a perfect day and the stars in alignment might of cracked a 15.XX!

They say 100kg's take a sec off your times, so doing a JMc and removing the passenger seat, installing a race seat, removing carpet, rear wiper, some sound insulation and going in for some 'li-po' might get me there.....

Err - fastest way to go backwards into something too.

Nigel is the last of the late brakers.........

I might look to invite Stu to 15 Aug date. I respond well to his instruction, he is laid back and gives small increments of advice

Macca - do you want to go halves for Sept date?
Well I never really got much of a chance to find that out, I was chasing Jon who was chasing Nigel and we only got in a full lap...

By the way that 100kg thing = 1s goes in the basket with the 17 inch wheel is faster than 18 inch wheel urban myth. It might work in a very tight weight range for a specific car on a specific circuit but it doesn't strictly hold water in the real world IMO. It needs qualification like the wheel/gearing/wheel weight analogy. Point in case Leongs M5. Lets say its good for a 1.145 on a perfect day. Drop 500kg isnt going necessarily going to make it a 1.09 car (997 Cup car).

From my experience none of the weight Ive removed (80kg) has made much difference to the cars handling - when you compare it to the differences decent tyres make or decent shocks set up right its negligible and to prove the tuition point again, Ive done some of my near fastest laps with 85kg of Williams shotgun. Even when Ive bettered them the next session its not been by a delta of a second, nor is it particularly noticeable IMO.

214s on the rear an LSD and some race seats however and I think you could have gone under 1.16 :-).

Ill email you regards the Sept thing.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:19 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

By the way that 100kg thing = 1s goes in the basket with the 17 inch wheel is faster than 18 inch wheel urban myth.
Dude - you telling me you do not notice having a 100KG Bubba in stockings and heels in the passenger seat of your car?

Or that you have to brake about 10-15M earlier on the track when you have an instructor? (the last time I forgot to brake early to allow for a 75kg passenger in the 993, I ended up in Syberia on turn 1).

Mate - I even notice the performance difference in my GT3 of having a passenger?

Edit - Matt's passengers tend to be size 6 and only weight about 60kg's - he probably doesn't notice a difference in his GT3 :-)

Last edited by kiwi 911; 07-07-2015 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:32 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Edit - Matt's passengers tend to be size 6 and only weight about 60kg's - he probably doesn't notice a difference in his GT3 :-)
Certainly doesn't affect his driving
Old 07-07-2015, 04:39 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
And what did Pete do?
Bistein HD (not adjustable), H&R green (or an equivalent to), RS swaybars - they were the magic bit for the C4 allowing almost complete dialing out of under steer unless very wet. Can't use the supplied front drop links as the drive shaft gets in the way but the existing C4 curved ones work fine. Peter A did the work and it felt magic from the first time out. Stayed with a fast road geo - not silly neg camber.

Exactly the set up recommended by Steve Weiner. Bought the bits from Gert @ Carnewal when the Euro was a bit friendlier.

Also fitted a front strut brace from Steve Wong but doubt that added a lot if anything.

Agree that tyres (221) and light track wheels will make most difference though. Just as well I (still) have a set for sale that work perfectly with 964s!!
Old 07-07-2015, 05:02 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Kermit anyone? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/spec...-914055355.htm
Old 07-07-2015, 05:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dude - you telling me you do not notice having a 100KG Bubba in stockings and heels in the passenger seat of your car?

Or that you have to brake about 10-15M earlier on the track when you have an instructor? (the last time I forgot to brake early to allow for a 75kg passenger in the 993, I ended up Syberia on turn 1).

Mate - I even notice the performance difference in my GT3 of having a passenger?

Well mate, I didnt say it wasnt noticeable - I simply stated its not on the top of the index of speed when contemplating the order of car improvement from stock to track competitive. 1). Tyres/pads/fluid - 2). Suspension then 3). weight lastly 4). engine/gears...Lets put it this way. Drive a lap of HD without a passenger in your 993 on new MPSS then drive the next lap with bubba in the passenger seat on new Z221s. I know without any ounce of hesitation Id be far quicker with the Z221. Same comparing stock suspension for PSS10/roll bars/track geo. On the road Id not notice the difference much with the passenger at all.

P.S. I seem to be taking alot of folks around for passenger laps these days in the GT3. I can honestly say I dont brake any different with a passenger in the car than without. Im probably good enough to know if Im 10m early or late LOL!
Old 07-07-2015, 05:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Bistein HD (not adjustable), H&R green (or an equivalent to), RS swaybars - they were the magic bit for the C4 allowing almost complete dialing out of under steer unless very wet. Can't use the supplied front drop links as the drive shaft gets in the way but the existing C4 curved ones work fine. Peter A did the work and it felt magic from the first time out. Stayed with a fast road geo - not silly neg camber.

Exactly the set up recommended by Steve Weiner. Bought the bits from Gert @ Carnewal when the Euro was a bit friendlier.

Also fitted a front strut brace from Steve Wong but doubt that added a lot if anything.

Agree that tyres (221) and light track wheels will make most difference though. Just as well I (still) have a set for sale that work perfectly with 964s!!
You forgot to mention it was also Guards Red mate ;-P

Cant believe no one has snapped up those sport classics for track rubber. Nice wheels. Light and look great...
Old 07-07-2015, 05:27 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

P.S. I seem to be taking alot of folks around for passenger laps these days in the GT3. I can honestly say I dont brake any different with a passenger in the car than without. Im probably good enough to know if Im 10m early or late LOL!

That's coz you are crusing around several sec's off the pace........

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?