Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 09:34 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Leong72
Yes, I saw your car at Gillies on Wednesday - Looks good.... new rotors too? It'll be like a new car. So Jeff is tuning it? I'd be interested to know what the stock programming was in your DSC unit, e.g. whether they supply it with a specific setup for the Tractive dampers. I've registered for June 5 too, but in the Prestige group. Hopefully see you there.

I'll be logging data off my DSC unit at Taupo on Wednesday so Jeff will have some data he can use to set me and Mark up for NITT. Should be useful for you too. Unfortunately we're doing Track 4, not track 1 so no data on the A1 turn.
Hi Leong,

We do use a different tuning map for the Tractive dampers. The overall tuning strategy is a bit different, relying less on predictive control strategies and more on real-time, active tuning strategies, mostly due to the speed of the Tractive dampers. Also, they have a dynamic range of 2000-200 mA as opposed to the Bilsteins which have a range of 1500-500 mA, so this is factored into the tuning strategy for the different shocks as well.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:18 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Hi Leong,

We do use a different tuning map for the Tractive dampers. The overall tuning strategy is a bit different, relying less on predictive control strategies and more on real-time, active tuning strategies, mostly due to the speed of the Tractive dampers. Also, they have a dynamic range of 2000-200 mA as opposed to the Bilsteins which have a range of 1500-500 mA, so this is factored into the tuning strategy for the different shocks as well.
^^^ Err - what he said.

I don't know to be honest Leong - it will be an interesting learning curve and time spent with Jeff giving feedback on how I think the car 'feels' at track days. The existing shocks where a little tired and the car never really cornered that well, so will be interesting to see the difference. I felt really uncomfortable at the last NITT, and probably have enough laps at HD to mask some setup issues......

I'm just paying the bills and hoping for some improved track speed and a more B road compliant car.

(Tom?) - you might have to give us a run down so I can pretend to know what I am talking about, I imagine I will field a few queries from everyone. Quite a few of the Aussie 6GT3 guys where interested?

Last edited by kiwi 911; 05-03-2016 at 04:32 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Who is Tom? Jeff? :-)
Old 05-03-2016, 01:53 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I plan to put my new Z221s on the new to me wheels next weekend so they are ready for action whenever it comes.
New 221s? What happened to the new John McM well sorted sedentary daily driver with spirited Sunday runs philosophy?
Old 05-03-2016, 02:40 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Who is Tom? Jeff? :-)
Tom is from TPC/DSC, based in the USA. Helped me sort out my early beta unit a couple of years ago.

Really interested to see how the Tractive kit goes on the 996 GT3, Paul. Imagine it will be nothing but an improvement if the shocks were at the end of their life.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:49 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by 964X33
New 221s? What happened to the new John McM well sorted sedentary daily driver with spirited Sunday runs philosophy?
Can't miss the chance to commune with the luftgekuhlt brethren...and keep you/them honest. If I get ahead of you don't hang in behind with Z221s firing stones out...

It's really about moving on from endless laps at HD and a focus on times to a wider enjoyment of the car, especially with other air cooled cars. The upcoming 1,844km road trip is a guaranteed stone chip event but what the heck. I have put a lot of time and money into this car. If it ends up in the same condition that I found it after another 25 years, then so be it. My older son says he wants it when I peg it. Now I need another one for the second son if you think about it there's no reason these cars can't be multi generational cars. They are built durable.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964X33
LOL! Jase, you should know the JMc personality by now. By day hes a mild mannered middle management banker, by lunch times and evenings hes a compulsive, erratic Porsche fanatic :-)
Old 05-03-2016, 03:17 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't miss the chance to commune with the luftgekuhlt brethren...and keep you/them honest. If I get ahead of you don't hang in behind with Z221s firing stones out...

It's really about moving on from endless laps at HD and a focus on times to a wider enjoyment of the car, especially with other air cooled cars. The upcoming 1,844km road trip is a guaranteed stone chip event but what the heck. I have put a lot of time and money into this car. If it ends up in the same condition that I found it after another 25 years, then so be it. My older son says he wants it when I peg it. Now I need another one for the second son if you think about it there's no reason these cars can't be multi generational cars. They are built durable.
Good to see you back in play on the P front, John. Meanwhile on the H front, I take it you're still offshore during the 2KCup Masters 1 Hour this weekend? If so, who else in Team RSG is keen to run? Both cars should be fine to put in some good times (BYO race pads still, but even a ~$100 set of TRWs from Repco should last the distance based on previous form).
Old 05-03-2016, 03:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dude. Stop while your ahead! Z221s = "moving on from endless laps at HD and a focus on times to a wider enjoyment of the car..."?

I think the getting ahead to avoid stones contradicts this stance? Why not buy some 300 TW road tyres and sit at the back to avoid the stones LOL!

Seriously tho. Good on you. No point in paying all that money, taking some risk and wearing out components on the track going at 6/10ths. There are tui awards to be won and plenty of opportunity to continually hone your lap times and pace chasing well set up SCs!
Old 05-03-2016, 03:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Good to see you back in play on the P front, John. Meanwhile on the H front, I take it you're still offshore during the 2KCup Masters 1 Hour this weekend? If so, who else in Team RSG is keen to run? Both cars should be fine to put in some good times (BYO race pads still, but even a ~$100 set of TRWs from Repco should last the distance based on previous form).
In Dingo land right now and back for the weekend but too much to do to race, especially given that the weekend after I get back I'm off to East Cape.

Assuming BB2 survives the weekend lets put her back on the car pad. Next up is the Dunlop 800 for me. Whohooo.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:36 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Dude. Stop while your ahead! Z221s = "moving on from endless laps at HD and a focus on times to a wider enjoyment of the car..."?

I think the getting ahead to avoid stones contradicts this stance? Why not buy some 300 TW road tyres and sit at the back to avoid the stones LOL!

Seriously tho. Good on you. No point in paying all that money, taking some risk and wearing out components on the track going at 6/10ths. There are tui awards to be won and plenty of opportunity to continually hone your lap times and pace chasing well set up SCs!
Z221s are my track day drug of choice. A track day without them just isn't the same. I'd consider roadies if everyone else had them but good luck with coordinating that eh Doug, Pel etc. I can already see what's going to happen if I hold back until the GT3s and Dysons have come around for their first lap. The others will be sitting waiting as well, then the rabbit chase starts.

Just need to work out how to get my race gas to Taupo. Is there a pump there?
Old 05-03-2016, 04:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Tom is from TPC/DSC, based in the USA. Helped me sort out my early beta unit a couple of years ago.

Really interested to see how the Tractive kit goes on the 996 GT3, Paul. Imagine it will be nothing but an improvement if the shocks were at the end of their life.
Oops. Gotcha!
Old 05-03-2016, 04:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Z221s are my track day drug of choice. A track day without them just isn't the same. I'd consider roadies if everyone else had them but good luck with coordinating that eh Doug, Pel etc. I can already see what's going to happen if I hold back until the GT3s and Dysons have come around for their first lap. The others will be sitting waiting as well, then the rabbit chase starts.

Just need to work out how to get my race gas to Taupo. Is there a pump there?

Pretty sure they have 104 Avgas at the airport up the bypass motorway from the track....
Old 05-03-2016, 07:54 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure they have 104 Avgas at the airport up the bypass motorway from the track....
You probably can't do it now but back in the day we used to just drive up to the pumps on Paraparaumu Airport and as long as we didn't pump it directly into the car but into fuel containers we would just fill up with Avgas at like $1.20 a litre! Those were the days!
Old 05-03-2016, 07:59 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
You probably can't do it now but back in the day we used to just drive up to the pumps on Paraparaumu Airport and as long as we didn't pump it directly into the car but into fuel containers we would just fill up with Avgas at like $1.20 a litre! Those were the days!
Race gas at Challenge Pukekohe is $2.95 per litre, but it is worth it. Herman felt like he had more pep and was smooth as silk on the road using that. The exhaust ran grey/white.

I might have to take some spare gas to Taupo for that extra edge on the track

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?