Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 06:29 PM
Luke944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjharrisonnz
You could also try Theo from rentracecar.com

I've rented a few race cars from him in the past. He's a great bloke and loves New Zealanders. The selection of cars is also very good and he usually comes out with you for some "sighting" laps.

There are a few others to choose from, but Theo has been around for years and I've always found him bloody great to deal with.

The ring is amazing... It will be a great trip. My 2c is to only go 70% and maybe rent something like a VW Golf GTI. They are forgiving, and the reality is you won't do an amazing lap whilst you are there as it's just too big to learn in a short space of time.

Have fun!!

M
Good to read all your guys tips for the ring. I'm leaving for a big European tiki tour on Monday so am getting the ring, the autobahn, Porsche museum and then Goodwood all ticked off the bucket list! Can't wait!!
Old 04-06-2016, 07:48 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke944
Good to read all your guys tips for the ring. I'm leaving for a big European tiki tour on Monday so am getting the ring, the autobahn, Porsche museum and then Goodwood all ticked off the bucket list! Can't wait!!
Make sure you report back Luke.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:54 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luke944
Awesome Luke - have you booked a factory tour for when you're at the museum? Goodwood will be fantastic.

Photos and stories please.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:22 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Makes 2 of us!

Thanks Matt - they are on the list as they're affiliated with the group running the DE. They have the biggest range as well. Makes it a hard choice though - caged Swift for the budget fun factor or Cayman GTS for the Porsche experience? I'm tempted to try the Toyota 86 as very similar performance, weight, power & balance etc to the 944 therefore familiar. Caged, sports seats & suspension plus r comps...!
I would say either Swift or GT86 from my experience, I imagine the excess on the Cayman is stratospheric.

I absolutely loved my time there, I definitely want to go back. I hired a Swift for a half day from Rent4Ring and it was a great car. I had been told to do half day because it can be tiring but I did a couple of extra laps (they allow a few extras and just charge you for them when you come back) and could have happily done a full day, I will next time.

I found the Swift great fun as it is very manageable and sticks to moderate speeds. Next time I will consider GT86 for a bit more grunt and fun, but to be fair it probably isn't necessary. For my first time I considered the FWD Swift to be by far the safest option which I think is smart. I went past a rental GT86 that had crash and I felt for him (it was a minor so I'm sure he wasn't hurt). If you go off the track and hit the barriers you can count on it costing you a good 5000 Euro or so best case scenario, with the ability for it to up to around 15000 if you do a fair bit of barrier damage and use up the full 10k excess some of the cars have. So it is definitely something to bear in mind.

I found Rent4Ring quite good, they are professionally run outfit and the cars all seemed very good. They were extremely thorough in checking for damage though, with data logging to check for over-revs and they checked the full underbody of the car with mirrors (for damaged incurred by going over the massive curbs) on my return. That can be a bit nerve wracking because you don't want to be hit up for something you didn't do or get into a big argument but I did no damage and they didn't claim I did so it was all fine in my case. I imagine they are all the same like that. There are a lot of muppets hiring their cars. One plus of the Rent4Ring Swifts is that they had right hand drive cars which made for nice familiarity for me.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:37 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
I found the Swift great fun as it is very manageable and sticks to moderate speeds. Next time I will consider GT86 for a bit more grunt and fun, but to be fair it probably isn't necessary. For my first time I considered the FWD Swift to be by far the safest option which I think is smart.
I also used the SWIFT from rent4ring, and wouldn't hesitate to use them and the little swift again.

They are an amazingly forgiving little car. You can wring its neck, and you would have to seriously mess a corner up to actually go off the track with much speed. I found even on overcooked corners, I was easily able to stay on the track. It's more fun driving a slow car fast etc etc And with the money you save, you can do more laps! RHD was a bonus as well.

Best advice I have, is get on Gran Turisimo (or your SIM of choice), turn off the driving line, and memorise the course! I only had 5 laps there, and felt confident to push it on my first lap.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:49 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Don't forget to spare some time for the car park as well!
Attached Images     
Old 04-07-2016, 12:06 AM
Luke944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Awesome Luke - have you booked a factory tour for when you're at the museum? Goodwood will be fantastic.

Photos and stories please.
Haven't booked the factory tour yet. On the to do list though.

Will be sure to report back. Seeing the caliber of cars at Goodwood all in one place will be a highlight. Although looks like Tony Quinn has another epic car to grace our shores- AM Vulcan: http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news...ulcan-supercar

Originally Posted by Chris_chch
I also used the SWIFT from rent4ring, and wouldn't hesitate to use them and the little swift again.

They are an amazingly forgiving little car. You can wring its neck, and you would have to seriously mess a corner up to actually go off the track with much speed. I found even on overcooked corners, I was easily able to stay on the track. It's more fun driving a slow car fast etc etc And with the money you save, you can do more laps! RHD was a bonus as well.

Best advice I have, is get on Gran Turisimo (or your SIM of choice), turn off the driving line, and memorise the course! I only had 5 laps there, and felt confident to push it on my first lap.
Good tip about the Playstation- will have to get that out of hibernation too.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:22 AM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes agree with the GT tip. I had done hundreds of laps on there and they were priceless when it came to knowing where the track went over a crest etc, makes life a lot easier!
Old 04-07-2016, 03:21 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys - I want to import a bike from the UK.

The box will be approx 1.2M long x 600mm tall x 200mm wide.

Who would you use as a door to door service?
Old 04-07-2016, 04:32 AM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Phil Gibbs from GT Logistics in Auckland. Great guy and great service.

I've used him about 10 times. Mention my name and he'll either give you a discount or charge you more - not sure which will apply.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:29 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjharrisonnz
Phil Gibbs from GT Logistics in Auckland. Great guy and great service.

I've used him about 10 times. Mention my name and he'll either give you a discount or charge you more - not sure which will apply.
Ha ha - so Matt, when are you going to drop a hint on you next car move?

I am guessing there's a 911R there somewhere?
Old 04-07-2016, 05:58 AM
O2GO
Drifting

All this ring talk is intoxicating.

Lovely SITT pics a few pages back, thanks for sharing.

Who else in RSG is booked into the PCNZ HD track day in May?

Throwing to twist JMs arm to make his one weekend home in 3 coincide with this for some friendly Lola and Herman action. Keen to see how quick Herman has become.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:21 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice pics for SITT Mark, and Yuka has an eye for a good shot too!!

Originally Posted by Macca
Maybe ask him how much for all pictures if your car at all events. I far preferred it when you could buy a disc if all hi re digital pictures of your car on the targa from ground sky for $129. These days you have to choose 3-4 pictures very carefully for that and I never can make up my mind and often never get around to finalising the order....:
Haha, exactly.... still haven't decided yet...

Shame Targa is the same weekend as the PCNZ trackday. Haven''t done any PCNZ events yet so keep to see what they're like.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:37 AM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Ha ha - so Matt, when are you going to drop a hint on you next car move?

I am guessing there's a 911R there somewhere?
I've committed to a very big purchase but it won't be in NZ for some time..... Not a 911R !! Something much bigger.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:42 AM
PHG
Racer

Jake
whats your email..?
PM me as have two great shots you NEED to view

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?