Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 09:34 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

I lived 17 years in countries (Vanuatu, Fiji, Indonesia) with no cold temps. Perversely I found Summers in those countries the most difficult seasons to enjoy. Winters in the North Island are pretty mild and certainly nothing like the Northern Hemisphere snowed in types. My biggest bug bear with NZ houses is that they aren't always built to moderate the climate. A new build with good insulation, heating and double glazing would make a Taupo winter very easy to bear, even for the little princes amongst us.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:09 PM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
even for the little princes amongst us.
That's a bit unfair on Macca isn't it?
Old 03-24-2016, 10:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
I was careful not to mention any names. How's the Tron?
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2016, 11:21 PM
shiraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.youtube.com/watch?v=myhnAZFR1po

makes a great ringtone - esp when you're visiting an area of ltd genetic variation
Old 03-25-2016, 12:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I lived 17 years in countries (Vanuatu, Fiji, Indonesia) with no cold temps. Perversely I found Summers in those countries the most difficult seasons to enjoy. Winters in the North Island are pretty mild and certainly nothing like the Northern Hemisphere snowed in types. My biggest bug bear with NZ houses is that they aren't always built to moderate the climate. A new build with good insulation, heating and double glazing would make a Taupo winter very easy to bear, even for the little princes amongst us.
Agreed. Summer in the tropics is too hot. But the climate is definitely something to consider. I hate rain more than I hate cold though and Taupo seems to be relatively dry compared to Northland. Having seasons again would be nice. It was 25 when we stayed earlier in the week, granted it was 10 overnight. The houses look mostly to be built for the climate. The ones we saw in the 800-1m range all boasted double glazing, Kent style fire places and heated floors throughout the house. I was quite surprised to see they were all fitted with inverter generation heat pumps/air con units too. If you are on a thermal patch that could help keep the power bill down, which I suspect can be a bit eye watering in winter. Cool dry mornings with low humidity wouldn't side rain the fortnightly $125 track quest tho, my 3 layer is like pyjamas in winter (but a sweat sack in summer). All good for thought, but the locale ticks a lot of boxes. Right now I see little value in the big cities as I've been scud timed to space, low traffic and smaller communities with some spirit in the last decade away...Coincidently Taupo was what lead us to the tropics (long story).

Not everyone can be a prince/ess by the way. Someone needs to clap when we pass by ;/p
Old 03-25-2016, 12:45 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

This type of house https://trademe.co.nz/1048486357 ?

In Kohi with a water view that's $2.5m. Looks like about $875k in Taupo.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:16 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt Gregan in his GT3. I don't think he did many if any RSG track days after the SITT.
Don't think I met him - There were a lot of new faces at that first SITT. I was in Prestige group that year. Bruce in his 997.2 S and Ron and Patsy in their Turbo were in my group... Met you on the road a couple of times

Originally Posted by Macca

Yeah, those lines in that Ruspuna session were killing me! The messiest session of my day and the overall slowest. In hindsight I should have gone behind you and slowed it all down. Nothing like trying a whole load if unknown stuff while being hounded by a GT4! Actually in the end I was faster with my own lines, But I'm glad I could provide you some entertainment ;-)
Yes, definitely more entertaining for me!! Our last session was the best, that's when I snuck in my 1.42.99. Both videos are quite good, to show the difference in lines and times but probably only of interest to you and me. Also could be good to look back on for SITT 2018.

Originally Posted by Macca
P.S. Good luck with getting Porsche NZ to provide a result on the track app. Im pretty sure youll learn more on these boards...
They said they'd take their demo car out and try to replicate the problem. I told them it was a known issue but they seemed to want to take the demo out for a fang. From what I've seen on the boards, theres an update just about ready....

Originally Posted by O2GO
Macca, I can't see you and Jo living in Taupo. Too cold for you
Wehn we were in Taupo nearly every second weekend doing bike trackdays in 2006-2009 it was friggin cold in the mornings.... That's Taupo!!
Old 03-25-2016, 01:39 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Macca, I can't see you and Jo living in Taupo. Too cold for you
Originally Posted by Pel
It's the fringe seasons, was there a couple of weeks ago, already cold (7 degrees over night) whereas it's still shorts and boating in Auckland.

I really like Napier though, whenever I'm there it seems busy.
Shorts, tshirt and Jandals here today (Taupo)!! I could live here - craft beer brewery, great Indian restaurants, track, awesome back roads, heaps to do... And Napier's not far away!

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Well played (again) Michael!!
Old 03-25-2016, 02:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

This type of house https://trademe.co.nz/1048486357 ? In Kohi with a water view that's $2.5m. Looks like about $875k in Taupo.
Hilltop is a nice spot too John and only 5 mins from town. You get a lot of value for your $$$, the average house price is just under half of Auckland, close to Taranaki too for Donnad relies. I'm sure Matty B will chime in with the inside line...

I've spent a lot of time in Taupo in the last 20 years. Probably 3-4 months consecutively. From Dec to March is generally warm. Spring and Autumn crisp but often clear blue skies, low humidity good track weather, winter is cold especially if a SW wind or W across the lack but I've not seen snow there yet although I know there may have been the odd few days it's happened.

The population is 35k and the retail district punched above its weight (probably on par with Napier, better than Whangerei, not as big as Tauranga). They even have a supercheap and repco and Jo says women's catching shops are disproportionately high. Lots of outdoor clothing shops for the icebreaker fans lol.

Napier is Warner and has sand (but not all good swimming). Problem is it's a PITA to get anywhere from/to. Oh and then there is the lack of racetrack!!

Pete, good luck tomorrow mate. Wish I could be there but will be at HD instead finishing of some tyres and front pads!
Old 03-25-2016, 02:29 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Just chucking some out there as a mate has just done similar, but ended up in Otorahanga. Never saw that coming but nice on a sunny day, and he does have family there. I saw the plans for his 12 x 12 attached garage and approved of that.
Not a true blue Waikato fan but stopped there for 12 years and rescued my lovely wife from Ngaruawahia. In spite of going there kicking and screaming following a job it turned out quite nice in the Tron.
Matamata. Never given it a second thought but it is quite nice out in the country a bit.
Te Kawhata, Cambridge environs etc. all Waikato so a bit cold.
Tauranga, Lovely just north of the city on the way to Katikati. Weather is good, Close enough to tracks, Pirongia etc. Good feel to the place as the Mount is my home town. Getting pricey for the good stuff.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Taupo is definitely wetter and colder than Napier

Dave, being close to water is a non negotiable. Like the idea of a big man cave though.
Attached Images   

Last edited by John McM; 03-25-2016 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:47 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

As for the Mount and any other areas with significant Dairy Farmer ownership e.g. The Coromandel, I think we will see selling pressure if milk solid returns don't rebound over the next couple of years.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:54 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Taupo is wetter and colder than * Napier
Old 03-25-2016, 03:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good catch Doug. Like John I need water close by. A water toy would be great too and fresh water makes cleaning up so much easier. I need a place that provides a business opportunity and Taupo is a concentrated tourist hub not unlike where I am.

All great banter tho. RSG central chapter may be a future reality lol!
Old 03-25-2016, 03:25 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Taupo is wetter and colder than * Napier
Don't worry Doug. John's distracted by his impending new acquisition http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...?id=1050483837

Only 24hrs to go!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?