O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice way to end on a high Macca!
Old 03-30-2016, 05:19 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

good stuff Macca. No doubt helped by the seat time from SITT!
Old 03-30-2016, 05:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes Graeme Im sure the SITT seat time helped both Leong and I get a bit more dialed into our cars. Concentrated track days grouped close together do alot to help you learn then try out new techniques.

I have had a quick look at the traces from today compared to Saturday and I have to confess the track was very "fast" today. About 1.0s faster than Saturday by my estimation. So I dont think these times will be easily replicated in the warmer afternoons. I think the PCNZ winter fixtures and bent sprints have benefited from this phenomena when dry over the last few years. Cool track, moderate ambient and dry without strong direct sun meant the first few sessions were close to idea if not a bit greasy for the first session. I should say a few people posted PB laps today once they look at their telemetry. My single biggest complaint is that the track needs to be cleaned more frequently as it was very dirty, lots of run off areas deep in marbles which made it quite tricky if you ended up off the trace line...

Where have all the Lesbots gone? I miss them!
Old 03-30-2016, 05:38 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow Macca that is serious pace, congrats!
Old 03-30-2016, 05:50 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Agree re track, I went 1:19.8 in the first session, was nearly a second slower on the final run.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:53 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
It was great to see a small group of air cooled there today. Bonus, they were all torsion bar cars except the Maritime turbo but I'll let Jason off there because it is so lovely to watch under power out of a corner.
Gee thanks. Yes, the lone 964 today but really enjoyed our little air-cooled sub-group. And quite pleased we didn't kiss today Dave! Unfortunately my go pro was having a siesta so I missed it.
Great day today, VMT to the RSG committee for turning on another excellent meet.
Did the 997 Turbo pull out of the litter OK?
And speaking of PBs, Trundles got his long sought 1:19 today - top effort.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:27 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well done Macca..........
Old 03-30-2016, 07:16 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, That’s a lot of 1.12’s!! Well Done Macca!! And an excellent way to finish the season - Car undamaged too. It was awesome driving with you over SITT definitely the highlight of my tour. Driving down with Ron, Patsy and Richard and the dinners we had… All very good too. Thanks for all the work you put into organising SITT and these.

Yes it was one of the better trackdays today, conditions definitely more favourable, whereas Saturday was the opposite. I was hoping to get a few more 1.13’s on record and did manage a few of these, but two 1.12’s was a definite bonus. I reckon the Trofeo R’s are worth about a second a lap so it wouldn’t surprise me if you got consistently in the 11’s next season.

The GT4’s been a joy to drive. It rolled over 12,000km at the track today, probably the highest mileage GT4 in the country, but I dare say that it’s also probably the most enjoyed GT4 in the country!! I might give the Anzac day Playday a miss out of respect…. such is the camaraderie… but I’ll go to Taupo in May to get some practice for NITT…such is my competitive streak!!
Old 03-30-2016, 07:25 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stonking times Mark, well done! So...

Originally Posted by 996tnz
I should probably have said that there's a 1:10 flat just waiting for your new tyres!
Originally Posted by Macca
LOL! A 1.10 is not in any way likely. Infact to be fair it would be damn well scary.
. Theoretical best lap is 1.10.59.
... still an unbeliever that there's potentially a 1.10 in her?

(though, yes, I know myself how hard it is to approach a theoretical that's based on a decent number of laps)

Again, great effort and some ballsy driving I'm sure!
Old 03-30-2016, 04:40 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hey Leong. Have really enjoyed driving with you on the track over the last three weeks. Its like the old times with Buba and the 993s :-)

That's some impressive mileage on the GT4. To put it into perspective for those unaware Leong has had the car just over 3 months from new! Im sure the miles will slow down a bit now as winter approaches. But its really great you are using it for what it was intended. Your GT4 & my GT3 are likely the highest mileage examples in NZ but also as you say probably the most loved and used for intended purpose...

Walt. I wouldnt have believed a high 10 was a possibility until yesterday when I posted a sub 12.

To be absolutely honest the tracks speed did help enormously. If there was a second in the surface and a switch to Trofeo R with geo give a chunk of that back I think there is still quite a bit of work the driver needs to do to get consistently in the mid - high 11s first. After that i suspect the limit will be the driver. Ive improved my PBs incrementally and regularly over the last 12 months in the GT3 but it has been hard work to win 10ths and occasionally a bit more. Theres always tyres and temps, rain and other issues at play and luckily yesterday most of those variables were favorable. I do believe there is a limit though where the driver starts to slow down in learning and struggle to reach beyond. Its what makes the great drivers truly great and the rest of us just grafters! Still its all for fun. One big advantage this year has been the regularity of track work for me. Having done 10 days in 10 weeks I have been keyed in and feeling comfortable to push both cars harder to the limit resulting in PB times in both cars at various tracks.

But now the hiatus begins again and this time it is 7 months and that is a very long time for muscle memory to fade and for the adrenaline to abate. It comes back of course but it take a track day or two and usually that is all I have on my return from driving a LHD truck down a coral road on The Rock.

I am heading to Sebring in June on a month long USA trip to visit some friends, some GT3 homies and learn more about how the US guys run their track days. I will be hanging with a top flight instructor both days who owns a 991 GT3 and getting plenty of rides as well as hopefully hiring a spec Miata for a go at the track with tuition myself. They are Chin and HPDE days so it will be very interesting to see how they are run and talk with the organisers. maybe some pointers for the way forward for RSG.

In the meantime my Porsche buddies in NZ will have some great winter fixtures courteousy of PCNZ, also probably a few RSG days thrown in and by the time I return I will be working hard again to catch up with you all :-)
Old 03-30-2016, 04:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

PS. Oh...and if funds allow Id like to bring back a louder exhaust from the states for the GT3! I have the factory back box reinstalled since before SITT and I think the car is too quiet. Given the NI tracks arent **** on sound Im thinking Id like something 25%-30% louder with a nice sound and no drone. Im not personally a fan of quiet Porsches...but you all knew that already LOL!
Old 03-30-2016, 05:45 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Jake For posterity:
Inside:
Outside:

Like · Reply · 1 hr · Edited

Graeme where is Walt? He can write an essay on this for us.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:41 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

PS. Oh...and if funds allow Id like to bring back a louder exhaust from the states for the GT3! I have the factory back box reinstalled since before SITT and I think the car is too quiet. Given the NI tracks arent **** on sound Im thinking Id like something 25%-30% louder with a nice sound and no drone. Im not personally a fan of quiet Porsches...but you all knew that already LOL!
You will have fun choosing Macca. Unlimited choice from easy bypass, cat back, to big cost Akra or cargraphic titanium.
US track experience sounds like fun.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
You will have fun choosing Macca. Unlimited choice from easy bypass, cat back, to big cost Akra or cargraphic titanium. US track experience sounds like fun.
You aren't wrong Graeme. I have some hand made headers in mind but it's very much budget dependant. I'll keep the factory third muffler and the switchable exhaust mode so it's relatively neighbour friendly. I want something that sings nicely in the higher reaches on track to give the Torsion bar guys some nice music to listen to on the pass by lol!

Walts standard track driving modus operandi would make my ragged laps look like child's play I suspect! I'm sure he's moving his arms plenty during a hot lap :-)
Old 03-30-2016, 08:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Any pent up demand for more banners? Please indicate if you are looking for more as a new RSG member wants to order one.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?