Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 03:48 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Looks like it was a huge day. I'm jealous as I'd have no idea how to change the pads on either of my cars! I'm sure you will do just fine. Make sure you keep us updated. Us Armchair racers from afar love to follow this Kingdom of thing :-)
Macca, I haven't looked back since I watched Rob at CCS change Herman's pads one Saturday. Newer cars are even easier than the air cooled. I changed out the Cayenne fronts this afternoon. $110 for the pads from Trademe and an hour of my time. Job done.
Attached Images   
Old 06-21-2015, 03:59 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Macca, I haven't looked back since I watched Rob at CCS change Herman's pads one Saturday. Newer cars are even easier than the air cooled. I changed out the Cayenne fronts this afternoon. $110 for the pads from Trademe and an hour of my time. Job done.
Porsche make pad changing easier for quick pad changes at the race track. One clip on the 993 from memory and they're out! Some cars can be a real effort.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:03 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

250km Waikato drive. Ask Paul about air sick bags for the GT3 <grin>.
Attached Images    
Old 06-21-2015, 04:28 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Car is great on the motorway and normal roads, but too stiff for aggressive B or C roads driving.

When you push hard the car starts to tramline (and not sure I am a fan of Trofeo's on damp or wet roads.

The car is still understeering and it was noticeable today. The car is booked in again tomorrow for another tweak of the geo.

I got the car air-born twice which was frightening - (I believe the suspension is stock.......)

The car scared me and is going to kill me on damp back roads.

Mind you - I think you were suffering too Doug on the back roads we travelled today.

Car still needs to be dialled in correctly.

I still like it, you just don't realise how quick you are going and I am respective (scared) of the car at the moment.........
Old 06-21-2015, 04:44 AM
O2GO
Drifting

The car looked really nice Paul. Yes, that last road before Huntly was especially rough. I run the RS60 on broads with the PASM off most of the time so that it can soak up the humps and bumps. Unfortunately after you bailed to come back on SH1 the second half of the roads to the east of SH1 were much better. Next time we'll do the route clockwise to get the better roads first.

I'm interested to know if the 996 GT3 suspension allows you to soften it up for non-track use?

My MPSS were fine in today's dry/damp and occasionally wet conditions. Only the occasional squirm. Was nice when we had dry stretches of road. Roll on spring/summer aye.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:10 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I'm still learning the GT3.

I am happy run the 993 at the limit as I know that car and it's well set up for it's limits.

The GT3 is more twitchy and agile in nature - not like other 911's I have driven, so I am scared to find the limits on a road - I need to dial out the understeering and do a few track days to learn it's limits.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Car is great on the motorway and normal roads, but too stiff for aggressive B or C roads driving. When you push hard the car starts to tramline (and not sure I am a fan of Trofeo's on damp or wet roads. The car is still understeering and it was noticeable today. The car is booked in again tomorrow for another tweak of the geo. I got the car air-born twice which was frightening - (I believe the suspension is stock.......) The car scared me and is going to kill me on damp back roads. Mind you - I think you were suffering too Doug on the back roads we travelled today. Car still needs to be dialled in correctly. I still like it, you just don't realise how quick you are going and I am respective (scared) of the car at the moment.........
Paul I have driven 964RS and 993RS as well as 996.1 GT3 and as a passenger 997.2 GT3RS fast in NZ B and C roads. all the same of similar roads you were on today. It's a fact of life all of these cars are very stiff and tramline. 964/993 were the worst but the eye opener was the 7.2 GT3 RS that Jason owned, that car would get airborne in some places and bottom out in other places. It tramlines to buggery and on MPSC1 was a total handful keeping up on damp/wet backroads so He was always driving it on Rons runs on tippy toes and Rons runs are not fast fast...

Not sure how quick Doug was going today but he and I done some drives and would suggest you were not going much quicker than usual. Road surface was obviously not as good as Nothland which is a problem in Waikato sometime...?

part of what you are experiencing is due to the Trofeo R sidewall. They are notoriously stiff which is why you must run on track with pressures around 28/29 PSI F plus R hot pressures. on the road I'm not sure what is recommended but if you are pushing on you wouldn't want to be much more than 27-28 cold IMO. I don't have direct experience but a bunch of my GT3 buddies do and many are using them on the track and reporting back on them. They have quite differing characteristics to the MPSC2.

Also you have sway bars to dial out understeer. Stiffen the rear and soften the front. How do you have them set up now?

In all honesty the 993RS and 996 GT3 I had were no faster than a standard C2 or 996C2 on NZ backroads. A softer chassis more figuring suspension and grippy road tyres help you cover ground as quickly with less pucker moments than driving to be **** off a firmly set up GT3/RS with aggressive camber. My 991 GT3 is a revelation in this regard because for the first time the car is quite good on the back roads AND the track as well as motorway and commute. The new GT3 & RS is much commented on on how good the PASM and compliance are in normal mode. But that's technology. Fact is a stock 991 C 2 on MPSS is quick as the 991 GT3 on really poorly paved damp NZ back roads as it inspires more confidence. You will get dialled in once you can trust the tyres and chassis. Don't go crazy on the ground till you have read up more on the Trofeo pressures and played with the sway bars IMO. keep them close to factory for now.

the bottom line is until the latest generation GT3 these were not cars people in UK or NZ raved about on our crappy surfaced back roads! They were cars you could drive to the track and on nicer windy flowing roads with good surface like you find in Europe Wales and Lake District they. One together nicely. but on our roads sometimes very different. EVO did a piece between a readers 4.0RS and the New GT3 in 2013 and both the 4.0 RS owner and the magazine found the new car far quicker on UK B roads. Nothing to do with hP just ability to press on. Nothing new here but your 996.2 is even stiffer than my old 996.1 Gt3 and no were near as flexible chassis as your 993. You will master it soon I'm sure but you will always have some pucker up moments in a Gt3 when pushing on in NZ roads regardless generation...
Old 06-21-2015, 05:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
True up until latest gen cars John then all turns to the proverbial. Latest GT3/4 calliper design is a nightmare I am told.

i understand the concept in the 993 but have never done it. In that car the pads only been changed once in 10 years but when it comes time I will come to your workshop :-)
Old 06-21-2015, 05:23 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Thanks Macca - after today's experience - I would tend to reach for the 993 keys next time...........

Maybe I should have got a Cayman??
Old 06-21-2015, 05:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Bubba. please don't joke like that....
Old 06-21-2015, 05:47 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I wasn't joking about the 993...............
Old 06-21-2015, 05:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I wasn't joking about the 993...............
Understood. But I was referring to Cayman. Dangerous thought that ;-p
Old 06-21-2015, 05:58 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Understood. But I was referring to Cayman. Dangerous thought that ;-p
I actually like Gaymans and would happily own one.

Interested to see how Chris's car works out.............
Old 06-21-2015, 06:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I actually like Gaymans and would happily own one. Interested to see how Chris's car works out.............
agree on both counts. I know an Australia based in US who has 987 with 3.8L S engine transplant running PRK. It's a BG Motorsports build - a race car. He's been testing it over this weekend done almost 9 hours solid track time on it in last two days and reckons it is the dogs nuts. Not a cheap project that one cost him as much as a new GT3.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:48 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The GT3 is more twitchy and agile in nature - not like other 911's I have driven, so I am scared to find the limits on a road - I need to dial out the understeering and do a few track days to learn it's limits.
Paul, I suspect that turn in won't be a problem once you're calibrated to the car after those track days, and she's set up right. The GT3 turns in quite a bit better than the Turbo to start with, but as you noticed on our Targa run, Turbo turn in wasn't a problem with routine trailbraking so there's always a back up option there too.

As for skittishness from poor compliance in bumpy corners, how adjustable is your suspension? I guess it doesn't allow you to soften back the fast bounce and fast rebound on the dampers?

My BMW 750il could take some bumpy corners quicker than the Turbo, and the Turbo is more road optimized than a GT3, so I know where you're coming from on that front.

If you ever do end up looking for aftermarket shocks, the Ohlins DFVs should be a good allround fit for your mix of driving, particularly if you don't want to be adjusting settings much: http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?