Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
So far the only actual mod I have done is Plastidip the wheels! but a parts stash is building;
Clear turn signals and side repeaters
Brake ducts - in addition to the Techart ones so I can decide which comes out best. Might do a carbon fibre wrap - boy racer style
Cup bypass pipe.
Some internal trim to tidy a few things.
Factory RS mounts - FD motorsports
A new set of Pagids - FD motorsports
A set of Dunlop 03G tarmac tyres - 16" for my D90's as my preferred track wheels (light). Can't believe my luck, Dunlop NZ had an unpopular size they want to clear - 16" rears perfect for me. Fronts full price though.
Heigo half cage with x brace and belt guide bar - through Gert.
2 x sabelt 3" 5 point harnesses. As cage comes later, we are using the rear seatbelt mounts for shoulder strap attachments for now. When cage comes, it uses these so I will get some nice laser cut steel tags that will sandwich between the cage and mount and provide a clipping facility for the harnesses.
Road belts remain for road use.
An appointment with Road Race and Rally to get harness mounts and a drivers seat fitted.
Small slimline number plate from Personalised plates - legal - had a copper relieve me of my german plates on my E60 Motorsport the other day. Didn't fine me though.
RS door cards of my own construction, lucky me has a 3D ABS printer at work and SolidWorks to model up fittings, this is where the interior might see some hot *******, or I'll bottle out and go black.
Stereo and speaker delete, drew up a blanking plate to move the console switches up to there to simplify the console area.
Got all excited for 5 minutes last week and partly modelled up some Fuchs centers on Solidworks, investigated 6061 T6 plate supply and jumped on trademe to look for a set of butt ugly japanese style three piece wheels to lend their barrels and lips to the new centers. Did a quick calc and buying new might be cheaper but there's less fun in that. Long term project but my wheel search is going nowhere. Plenty of tasty stuff but I'm a tight ar**.
I dismissed the ducktail and RS rear bumper - really wanted that but it comes out a bit much once painted and fitted.
Tow hooks front and rear - will do my own - laser cut steel welded to a bolt with a shoulder and an O ring, although I hear the thread is a weird one.
Side skirt seals, There is a window glazing rubber that pushes in and stays put that I have to replace the shrunken ones, works excellently and looks tidy being just the one piece.
Thats about it I think.
Dave. Loving the list (maybe except the CF wrap, not sure on that lol!). Very interested in your rear toe hook design. I could be in for one to help subside your project. I have the rennline folding one at the front which is lovely and has a rennline GoPro mount which is handy too. Unfortunately the folding design doesnt work on the rear of the 993 so well because of the position of the slot and the number plate cowling so I use the factory one there. I believe the same challenge exists for the 964 so keen to see what you come up with...

When do you hope to have everything fitted? Before the NITT?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
That's 5 ya mean
That's great news!

Ill start working this week on making some inquiries on this. If anyone else is hankering after some seminal race track tuition (Skip Barber school renounced as one off the best in the world) please indicate your interest. Im pretty sure we will pick up 2-3 from the main RSG board and suspect a group off 8-10 to be the perfect number to get something happening...
Old 06-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Dave. Loving the list (maybe except the CF wrap, not sure on that lol!). Very interested in your rear toe hook design. I could be in for one to help subside your project. I have the rennline folding one at the front which is lovely and has a rennline GoPro mount which is handy too. Unfortunately the folding design doesnt work on the rear of the 993 so well because of the position of the slot and the number plate cowling so I use the factory one there. I believe the same challenge exists for the 964 so keen to see what you come up with...

When do you hope to have everything fitted? Before the NITT?
Will do Macca, I will research the thread type for the tow hook bolt a bit more and see what I can find out to get this progressing.
Everything listed is underway in some form but the easy bolt ons should be ready for the NITT. I am mostly interested in the safety gear first, which should be all present and correct including the Heigo if I'm lucky, and I forgot to mention a fire ext.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

And the CF wrap for the brake ducts? Yeah, I'm a cheap ar**, but I'd do the wrap in the real thing with resin rather than the 3M stuff
Old 06-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Cool. Cant wait to see when Im in NZ.

14.318 OD, 8threads/inch, or 3.175mm pitch. The ODs are actually imperial - 14.318mm = 9/16"

Above is data I think you need. You can check against the one in your factory tool roll.

Phew! Thought you meant the 3M stuff! Now I understand. Yes I think you could manage some CF matt doing a wet lay. But the Brake ducts are a wild mix of surfaces so you would be going well to get a good result first time. If it works you can have the job of making CF stuff of all of us LOL!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Interesting 964.
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2013, 08:44 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

wow a day and a half goes by and suddenly the boys have got 2015 offshore track days and beyond all mapped out. I must day that one thing I have been keen on is looking at the Tuthill ice driving course. You drive their rally prepped cars all FIA early 911 with studded tyres and their is an actual mini stage. Instructors always in the car too. I prefer this over the Porsche course because there is no 4wd.
I'm pretty sure someone from AKL has done it and written up a note on it which is posted on the Tuthill web site. Haven't looked for a while but its probably still there.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. The green 964 does look interesting. Love the colour and the cage! Not sure on those wheels but each to his own. He seems like an RSG type guy so ask him if he wants to join!

Graeme. Yip things move fast around here mate! Im in discussions with Skip Barber school as we speak. Slots over August/September impossible for next year (motor racing season) so working through some options. I think Ill pass through my findings to the RSG committee first for publication on the RSG site once we are in lock down and members only access in the next week or two.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:25 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John. The green 964 does look interesting. Love the colour and the cage! Not sure on those wheels but each to his own. He seems like an RSG type guy so ask him if he wants to join!

Graeme. Yip things move fast around here mate! Im in discussions with Skip Barber school as we speak. Slots over August/September impossible for next year (motor racing season) so working through some options. I think Ill pass through my findings to the RSG committee first for publication on the RSG site once we are in lock down and members only access in the next week or two.
The owner seemed interested in joining. You can never have enough 964s. Peter claimed a 996TT scalp in the last round. Macca, lucky you have the 221s, as they seem to be the weapon of choice.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

All good John. However the tyres alone arent enough to make a difference in outcome unfortunately LOL!
Old 06-29-2013, 02:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

All good John. However the tyres alone arent enough to make a difference in outcome unfortunately LOL!
I think Peter's last lap of the day was circa 1' 21.4". Very consistent. He even had his own technician; the Endless rep was at the track. Each instructor had a different twist on the track. Simon instructed me for my last round. We boiled the brakes with his aggressive brake and trail brake method but it felt very comfortable as cornering was at reasonable speed and it was easy to add throttle. Another point he drilled in was look up. The main straight doesn't seem so bad if you look up as it deemphasises how fast you are going. There was also a lot of emphasis on steering wheel handling. Hands at 3 & 9 and hands never leave that position. Turning is achieved by rolling the wheel and keeping shoulders back.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:08 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I think Peter's last lap of the day was circa 1' 21.4". Very consistent. He even had his own technician; the Endless rep was at the track. Each instructor had a different twist on the track. Simon instructed me for my last round. We boiled the brakes with his aggressive brake and trail brake method but it felt very comfortable as cornering was at reasonable speed and it was easy to add throttle. Another point he drilled in was look up. The main straight doesn't seem so bad if you look up as it deemphasises how fast you are going. There was also a lot of emphasis on steering wheel handling. Hands at 3 & 9 and hands never leave that position. Turning is achieved by rolling the wheel and keeping shoulders back.
I learnt a lot today - different things from different guys but it was hugely beneficial and more so than I had expected. There was an impressive ratio of instructors to cars and even the early morning drills ran smoothly with the reduced numbers.

I had already voted yes for tuition on the Sept tour but a couple more sessions with Ray today removed any doubt - a definite must irrespective of how many of us are in. In fact 6-8 would be ideal.

Mind you, the most fun thing today was seeing Paul's smile when he rocked up.... followed by the utter frustration at not being able to drive it and 1000km still to run in
Old 06-29-2013, 03:33 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
Interesting 964.
Those wheels are Momo i.d.e.a.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I learnt a lot today - different things from different guys but it was hugely beneficial and more so than I had expected. There was an impressive ratio of instructors to cars and even the early morning drills ran smoothly with the reduced numbers.

I had already voted yes for tuition on the Sept tour but a couple more sessions with Ray today removed any doubt - a definite must irrespective of how many of us are in. In fact 6-8 would be ideal.

Mind you, the most fun thing today was seeing Paul's smile when he rocked up.... followed by the utter frustration at not being able to drive it and 1000km still to run in
It sounds like a valuable day was had by all!

There has never been any doubt in my mind that I (personally) needed an instructor on the NITT. My first proper day at the track in 8 years at HD in March showed via Gropro my best lap times fall by 6 seconds because I had someone in teh car instructing me on every session. Infact Ive never driven on the track without a passenger in my life LOL!

As for an instructor on our NITT its probably an all or nothing type thing and at this stage we are voted 6 for 1 against so coming close to time to make a decision. The only fair thing is to split the cost and get Ray across all of us as best as we can.

Pete - youll have to give me some instruction on the 7th at HD. Maybe do a lap with you once Ive warmed up. It will have been a while for me. It would be good to learn somee of the trick you have picked up.

Momo u.g.l.y.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:48 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Those wheels are Momo i.d.e.a.
Yep - and personal view only but I reckon they looked outstanding on that car in the flesh.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?