Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
Dropped my car in to have the RSS adjustable rear toe steer kit and locking plates installed and spotted John's car up on the lift. Glad to see it's almost back on the road!
No secrets in this city. I've asked Peter to make the best with what's there and give me ideas for a post NITT setup.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:39 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know my RS2 is only around 1/4 Porsche, but my news is the turbo has failed.
It was only rebuilt 6 months (6,000kms) ago, and the only reason I had the turbo rebuilt was because I was getting the head freshened up so though Id kill 2 birds with one stone. Nothing was found wrong with the turbo back then, this is what it looks like now:

Name:  91f0f30f10cecccbc5db98540243fb89_zps3d25cef2.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  260.6 KB
Old 06-26-2013, 07:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to hear that Nik. What are the options?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Sean. I've been using "self insured and co" so far for all track and Targa events! Seriously.

I learnt after the event that Prestigio would insure a few select participants (mainly a couple of cars in the front back valued between 150 and 300k) wit special conditions (max speed, 10 or 15K excess, previous event history) so maybe you should try them. Ive recently insured with them but have yet to receive cover during an event, so cannot say for sure.

The best I know no one else will cover this event (I tried Classic Cover, AMI, State and around 5 others before going on the tour). Graeme may know more...
Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Sean. I've never looked in to Targa insurance, but Dave Taylor from Motorsport Services organizes car insurance for Motorsport events as he leases a lot of cars for enduros, Targa, etc. I think he is a broker for it, so he may be an option. I think its pretty expensive though with the sort of excesses Macca mentioned.

Most people self insure, I'm not aware of anyone in the Porsche Club race series that is insured while racing.
I'm not sure who else is around but I got a pretty good quote for accident damage up to $30k with a $5k excess for $800 from the folks at Motorscience during the Targa.

Ok so that's almost a whole years worth of normal cover but not bad for piece of mind I thought?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:27 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Sorry to hear that Nik. What are the options?
They rebuild or replace it. Or I start breaking legs.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Sean. Thats worth considering. I wasn't aware Motorscience did cover. Its probably good for a minor off but anything even moderate will be a total write off with a 964/993 this age (new parts availability, expense etc). Still better to be covered for a minor misshap than not at all. Make sure you check the fine print however as you will be wired for full time telemetry so there is no fudging it for a claim on the Targa they can generally see exactly the speed you were travelling at etc...
Old 06-26-2013, 11:21 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
I know my RS2 is only around 1/4 Porsche, but my news is the turbo has failed.
It was only rebuilt 6 months (6,000kms) ago, and the only reason I had the turbo rebuilt was because I was getting the head freshened up so though Id kill 2 birds with one stone. Nothing was found wrong with the turbo back then, this is what it looks like now:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ps3d25cef2.jpg
Damn, that's not cool.

Bearings gone or did the shaft completely snap?

Hope the engine hasn't ingested any of that compressor wheel.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:23 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Damn, that's not cool.

Bearings gone or did the shaft completely snap?

Hope the engine hasn't ingested any of that compressor wheel.
Im not sure Sean. It had some alloy paste in the front of the turbo.

It has no play up or down but it moves in and out about 1mm.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:03 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The old girl came home today........

Will take for a good drive tonight.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911

Good to hear. I'm not far behind.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:01 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

re Targa insurance. Sean are you talking tour or the race event? For the tour macca makes a good pint about telemetry. You need to check the fine print because speeds up to say 160kph are often seen and when this is on a back road and not track insurers sometimes don't appreciate the difference.
I don't know of anyone insuring on the race event. That would be a great deal, probably too good to be true.
Some kiwi mates did the Nurburgring 24 hours and they did buy damage insurance - it was expensive but at least you know when leasing a car that the costs are fixed so they budget for that.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
re Targa insurance. Sean are you talking tour or the race event? For the tour macca makes a good pint about telemetry. You need to check the fine print because speeds up to say 160kph are often seen and when this is on a back road and not track insurers sometimes don't appreciate the difference.
I don't know of anyone insuring on the race event. That would be a great deal, probably too good to be true.
Some kiwi mates did the Nurburgring 24 hours and they did buy damage insurance - it was expensive but at least you know when leasing a car that the costs are fixed so they budget for that.
I had a look at Sean policy and effectively its damage insurance. Its approx 5% premium to cover for 5 days so very expensive but better than nothing I guess. Essentially its good for a smalll woopsey in a 993/964 or older but nothing bigger (i.e. net cover is 20k and you need 5k damage before your on the board claim wise).

Graeme last year Targa Tour we were un restricted and frequently saw 200+ kmph. This was the max reading on Monit after the first or second stage (cant remember exactly) in the absolute pouring rain after getting onto a nice long straight (photo of us driving taken only a few moments before). Subsequently we (my wife and I LOL) elected to have a passive alarm at 180km and not to exceed 200kmph. We hit 180+ at least twice a day no problems but never exceeded 200. However some of the heavier and larger cars we were chasing/being chased by were clocking well over 200.

Pretty scary stuff when you know the roads, condition's of surface and lack of ANY safety cage or gear. They may have turned a blind eye or they may have been having real time telemetry issues but no one got a big warning Im aware of and everyone said it was way faster than the previous year when after a very bad off which almost claimed a life they reduced to 140/150 tops.

The Policy Sean is considering has no max speed limitations I could see. The Prestigio one for those that were covered however does and last year I believe it was 180 lkph.
Attached Images   
Old 06-27-2013, 05:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Welcome back mate! Tell us how it goes once you've taken it for a razz!

Looks like most are now accounted for. Just Neil to get his sorted and Jason to get his clutch and gear set going...

After that mine will probably break or something! We need a spare car!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:54 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

All good. Did you have anything trick done to the motor or just a straight rebuiild?
Old 06-27-2013, 06:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Heres a cheap spare incase someone does the money shift...

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...rry-woods.html

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?