Mmmmm, Zanzibar.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:37 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Mmmmm, Zanzibar.
Great colour for a GT3

Wasn't that one from down the bay somewhere?
Old 09-15-2013, 11:44 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Great colour for a GT3

It was a combined Auckland/BOP event so quite possibly. It's a pity you guys didn't stop in. The car park was like a Porsche spotters heaven e.g. 3 GT3s and 2 Turbo 3.6s. Not to mention the long noses and 356s. What did surprise me was how much my C4 looked out of place. Definitely more of a preservation than a modding group.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:59 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
It was a combined Auckland/BOP event so quite possibly. It's a pity you guys didn't stop in. The car park was like a Porsche spotters heaven e.g. 3 GT3s and 2 Turbo 3.6s. Not to mention the long noses and 356s. What did surprise me was how much my C4 looked out of place. Definitely more of a preservation than a modding group.
Would have, should have stopped but wanted to keep the old girl going to get home on half power while it still could. I wasn't keen on shutting it down. Off to the tropics for 10 days so have parked it up and will get the pro's onto it when I get back. I'll try a new DME relay first. I'm hoping it is a simple problem like me forgetting to release the handbrake or something.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Would have, should have stopped but wanted to keep the old girl going to get home on half power while it still could. I wasn't keen on shutting it down. Off to the tropics for 10 days so have parked it up and will get the pro's onto it when I get back. I'll try a new DME relay first. I'm hoping it is a simple problem like me forgetting to release the handbrake or something.
Didn't realise you had issues. You seemed ok driving past my house yesterday afternoon.

BTW: I have a new DME relay. We could also put the Scantool on it. Maybe that Hall effect fault has affected it. It controls the anti knock.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:40 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Mmmmm, Zanzibar.
Agreed - that is perfect for a Mk 1 GT3 - along with speed yellow.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:36 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Didn't realise you had issues. You seemed ok driving past my house yesterday afternoon.

BTW: I have a new DME relay. We could also put the Scantool on it. Maybe that Hall effect fault has affected it. It controls the anti knock.
Went for gas on sunday morning ok, then on pulling out of the hotel at 9 it coughed and missed for a minute, bunny hopped and wouldn't idle, then when warm it ran smooth but had no guts in it. Could be the hall sensor. I googled that when the fault showed at your place and a rennlist post said that if you were keeping up on the straights then ignore it so I did. I think it alters the timing or something which would explain less power. I drove (quietly I hope) passed your place to dry it off after a wash.
I'll take you up on the scan tool offer when I get back - thanks. I've got a new DME which I will try as well.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Most Brilliant Track Tour Ever (Yet!)

Guys,

Just got back from the NITT. I took an extra day out in Bay of Plenty with a Fezza owning mate to sample some more of NZs back roads. The great weather continued. What a great place to be a car nut!

The NITT was a brilliant success by all accounts. I got to meet many people on this board whom id only exchanged electronic discourse with until Thursday (Matt G, Matt B, Michael, Robert Ho, Chris B etc).

What strikes me most is what a great core group of guys we have involved in this little venture. Everyone exceeded my expectations, proved to be friendly, and passionate about Porsche and driving. It really is a great group we have here, guys who are generous with their time and knowledge and all share a common passion.

Just wanted to say whole 3 days were perfect from the wet convoy drive down to the fast (Chris B) trek from Fielding to Taupo and all the track work in between.

Again big thanks to Pete, Steve, Daniel and Tony at Playdays for all helping to make it happen.

I must say even days on from the track action Im still fizzing. Ill be heading back to "thee rock" with a stack of footage, some GPS files and great pictures which will regularly remind me of the event....

Cant wait for the SITT in March 2014!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2013, 01:50 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Great colour for a GT3

Yeah, it used to live down here, till about 2 years ago.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Default NITT 993 Track Data

I finally downloaded Circuit Tools software when I got home and loaded up the files from the PB. Software is very easy to use and looks to have at least as good an interface as AIM, took no time at all to analyse. I thin only three of us are on the Race Logic system so probably not much use for mapping comparatively but I thought Id post my next session/lap charts in case anyone can glean anything from them...

Taupo Track 2 (1.50.32 - VMax = 188.79 kmph)

Naturally Im pleased with how the car ran in Taupo. Its clearly a long & technical track and very hard on tyres and brakes.
I have a "shifting on load" issue (shift linkage) which prevents me getting from 3rd to 2nd whilst committed in a corner, so in Taupo I could never get the power down through the "flip flops" to lay down a decent exit and vMax on the front straight. This cost me 0.7 s+ per lap. I also have a bit of work to do to tidy up my exit on the sweeper before the long straight. Getting the shift linkage sorted for the corners, and another day of practice on the sweeper should I hope result in 1.48.XX s type lap times. This was my first go at Taupo and I have no idea when I will next return, but Im really looking forward to it. Great track, facilities and accommodation!

Manfield Track 1 (1.20.19 - VMax 187.07 kmph)

Like most this was my first time at Manfield. Nice track. I got along with this track much better as I didn't need a 3rd to 2nd shift under load. My tuition with Ray didn't come until session 5 (late afternoon) unfortunately but soon after I was starting to get into the groove and even managed to put distance on Steve Rasso! Alas things were just coming together for me when it was time to end (session 6). I think with a little more practice on the infield component and especially the double apex which I only was shown properly by Ray at the end of the day that a consistent 1.18.XX-1.19.00 lap is a real possibility next time out here. Unfortunately I fear I may not see this track again for a long long time but I will hold very fond memories of it - especially trying to keep up with the 3.8 GT3, Chris's turbo and the two sessions battling it out with Rasso which was a highlight for me personally!

I've attached the plots below. Id anyone want the files just PM me.

Reflections-

The 993 ran so nicely over the last 4 days. Its definitely at a sweet spot and apart from the heat blistered rear bumper and many dozens of new rock chips it lived up to, and exceeded my expectations. Its great when the tuning thing finally comes together and right now there is nothing I would change with the car apart from getting the shift linkage fixed (popped in and saw dean and the boys on the way home, so that's a job for next week).

The 993 is still set up more for fast road/Tarmac rally raid, than track work, as Racing Ray and Paul Miller will attest from their time behind the wheel. Softened up on the ARBs and PSS10 settings there is little that can touch it in the twisty stuff on chipseal. I really do like my Sunday fast road drives and just pushing the car hard through deserted twisty roads with the window down gives me goose bumps every time! I think the balance right now between road and track is perfect as it reflects the fact I do more road work than track, but stiffening it up all around has definitely helped for both disciplines.

2014 RSG NZ Targa Tour Assault?

My lovely wife has given me permission to attend 2014 NZ Targa Tour (end Oct 2014). Its the new shortened 4 day event. Id really love to have a few of you guys along. I think Peter Meredith, Neil D, Paul M and maybe even Matt G would be prepared to consider it from brief conversations I had over the time away. If you take the highlight moments from the drives to and from the tracks, plus the best parts of the track time, distill it and then amplify it by 35% you will get an idea of what a brilliant event it is. you can take it as slow or fast as you like, but when you make it to the end you will fell like a KING and have made some life long car friends as we did. Its really a blast so hope to see at least half a dozen RSG guys on that event in late 2014. We would most definitely get televised coverage running as a team.....naked....LOL!
Attached Images   
Old 09-16-2013, 04:11 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oi! you've been on here long enough to know how to reduce pic size!!

Have to say though that your car was running way differently at Taupo and Manfield than it was at HD. The changes really made a huge difference since it was first time at all 3 tracks.

Targa is definitely on the cards but with 2 weeks out for the SITT it may be 2015 for me. The arm is there to be twisted though... esp if the road registered S2 race car comes to fruition.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:20 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Targa is definitely on the cards but with 2 weeks out for the SITT it may be 2015 for me. The arm is there to be twisted though... esp if the road registered S2 race car comes to fruition.
Hey Pete, I'm keen on the 2014 Targa Tour too. I guess as the time draws closer we could setup a registration page on the RSG forum and get registrations of interest, details and confirmations etc detailed there?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:22 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Nice pics John! I just uploaded a few I took at Taupo here...

https://picasaweb.google.com/DougHan...IvQwZfOscXBkgE
Old 09-16-2013, 05:21 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Here is Paul's best lap @ Taupo 1.50.209 Vmax 184.6
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2013, 05:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Oi! you've been on here long enough to know how to reduce pic size!!

Have to say though that your car was running way differently at Taupo and Manfield than it was at HD. The changes really made a huge difference since it was first time at all 3 tracks.

Yeah, sorry about that. They are small files (250 kb each) but they attached large for some reason.

The set up was very similar to HD. The suspension is the same as HD (the new monoballs are for feedback not handling). The only real difference with the car was the front camber was extended by 1 degree negative and the front toe in decreased by two seconds.

Oh, and here is the real reason for the speed - the Hankook 221's! My biiggest issue at HD wasnt the geo, but rather my road tyres which were overheating. Also it was my first ever track day so I was a bit green. In hindsight, the 221s would have given me at least 3 seconds at HD - maybe another second for the improved front geo. I had a time of 1.18s in mind for 7th Sept but will have to wait till late 2014 to get back there and see if I was right!

Those tyres (and probably any decent R compound tyre) are the key to quick road and track work IMHO. They even handle the wet much better than I ever anticipated.

I dont think it needs to be a big group for the Targa Tour. You have to really enjoy fast road work. I grew up in the Waitakeres so driving around narrow blind corners at speed was a way of life. I think we should do it. It will be alot of fun....

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?