Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Re suit. I'm a 36in inseam so nothing off the shelf fits me... unless I put on 15kg. It's far easier to go custom, in NZ. If I smell like a pole cat next year in the South Island you'll know which way I went!

All noted on the seats. Certainly want the latest cushion. This car will be an occasional driver so happy to have deep seats. Shane thinks I can get a thin pad made as well. That's the advantage of local manufacture.

That said, offshore is pretty attentive. My ducktail was special order in white gel coat but still got manufactured and sent in 6 days. If you are thinking of going the same way, factor in the grille. Not cheap. Then what is with these cars?
Old 05-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
+1 on the Sparco suit but I'm a Sparco nut so don't listen to me.

Speaking of track day warriors, check this out:

BBi Autosport's Ultra-Light "Project Nasty" Porsche 911 - TUNED - YouTube

You may not like all the styling but the engineering and quality of parts is awesome.
Just love it! That cars louder than mine LOL! Very individual and love the creative thought thats gone into this. The RUF yellowbird is one of my top 3 all time Porsches and good to see it also influenced the design of this car. Interestingly I see they have opted for our 3.6 engine in this car. Recaro takes centre stage too with seats. Perhaps the only thing id change is teh exhausts. Id be tempted to go dual centre like the 997 GT3 and under the rear bumper not through it. The wheels were a stroke of genius although not sure if I love them.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Re suit. I'm a 36in inseam so nothing off the shelf fits me... unless I put on 15kg. It's far easier to go custom, in NZ. If I smell like a pole cat next year in the South Island you'll know which way I went!

All noted on the seats. Certainly want the latest cushion. This car will be an occasional driver so happy to have deep seats. Shane thinks I can get a thin pad made as well. That's the advantage of local manufacture.

That said, offshore is pretty attentive. My ducktail was special order in white gel coat but still got manufactured and sent in 6 days. If you are thinking of going the same way, factor in the grille. Not cheap. Then what is with these cars?
John. The Sparco is a great suit and a pleasure to wear but I will say they designed for a "typical build". Im not that build and you are even less so - so your plan to have one tailor made locally is a good one. Its better to be comfortable with one that fits than uncomfortable with one that doesnt.

The good thing is (from observation) you weight doesn't change alot. I have the opposite problem. My weight can fluctuate 6-7 Kg a year dependent on exercise, diet and lifestyle. Ive lost 5kg since 29th March HD! As soon as I go travelling for a few weeks or more I balloon out again on lack of exercise and all those "civilized treats"!. Problem is when buying such an expensive "garment" I tend to get something a little looser that will accommodate me during and "over eater" phase!

I checked out the Racetech website and the 4000W and extra wide look good. The seats all look good quality and being locally made you should get great service too...
Old 05-12-2013, 12:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Change topics. Bored out of my brain in Nadi so checked Rennlist. Next mod for the 964?
Attached Images    
Old 05-12-2013, 01:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Im not sure on those John. I think Id need to see them in the flesh. They look quite modern for the 964.

I spent all this morning looking for some information on installing my RS windscreen washer bottle in a RHD 911 and came across this excellent thread from a Sydney Rennlister on the 964 Board thats done heaps of work on his 964 C2 and documents it. I used his wiring work around a few years back when I removed my blower and put the CF RS bypass pipe on and it worked well. I thought it would be a great threat for 964 owners to reference...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...eferrerid=6980
Old 05-12-2013, 01:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Babalouie is a legend. Just a pity that his thread is so long it's hard to find the bit you want. I used it to take my bumper off. He now has a RS bonnet. Thought about offering to buy his old one, but I will likely get the existing dent repaired when I get the tail painted. Will also look at removing the Techart tail and putting a fresh coat on the original tail so it matches. Then I need a spoiler so I can always return the car to stock. None of this spend is going with the car if/when I move on. The fact that it will be a fresh motor should be enough of an eventual selling point. Mind you that's a long time in the future.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:54 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I spent all this morning looking for some information on installing my RS windscreen washer bottle in a RHD 911 and came across this excellent thread from a Sydney Rennlister on the 964 Board thats done heaps of work on his 964 C2 and documents it. I used his wiring work around a few years back when I removed my blower and put the CF RS bypass pipe on and it worked well. I thought it would be a great threat for 964 owners to reference...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...eferrerid=6980
Yep - Kev is a true 964 DIY legend. He bought my front RS droplinks as they were surplus for the C4. V easy to deal with as well.

John - hope all is on track with the engine so we see you at the gymkhana. probably doesn't matter as I'm sure you'll make for the 'mod therapy' group beer on the 1st!
Old 05-12-2013, 02:03 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S

Yep - Kev is a true 964 DIY legend. He bought my front RS droplinks as they were surplus for the C4. V easy to deal with as well.

John - hope all is on track with the engine so we see you at the gymkhana. probably doesn't matter as I'm sure you'll make for the 'mod therapy' group beer on the 1st!
Peter, my hope is to make it to the track day on the 9th. The gymkhana is a given. I may even take the turbo 3.6 out to that. In any case I have the 996 TT.

The only real thing that could hold things up with the 964 is all of the additional items. I'm in Suva until Friday week so I have a small time window for Hankooks, Fuchs and geometry. There's also a real danger of over egging the pudding here. The first goal is to have a running car. As you're finding, sorting out the finer points takes time.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

And yes, definitely on for the 1st. That is beer and food isn't it?
Old 05-12-2013, 02:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Babalouie is a legend. Just a pity that his thread is so long it's hard to find the bit you want. I used it to take my bumper off. He now has a RS bonnet. Thought about offering to buy his old one, but I will likely get the existing dent repaired when I get the tail painted. Will also look at removing the Techart tail and putting a fresh coat on the original tail so it matches. Then I need a spoiler so I can always return the car to stock. None of this spend is going with the car if/when I move on. The fact that it will be a fresh motor should be enough of an eventual selling point. Mind you that's a long time in the future.
I wouldn't focus to much on the exit. I did this for the first 10 years then realized it would cost me $10k in labor to put all the stuff I've taken off back on and I probably wouldn't get that from selling the stuff I put on that Id just paid to have taken off! The reality is by the time you sell it the top end rebuilt will have done 100+ "track hours". Just relax and enjoy the slippery slop John, hurts much less when you are relaxing LOL!

Thanks hankooks can be all done online with delivery to CCS. CCS can deliver the Fuchs and tyres to Peter for fitment and Geo. It wont take more than 2-3 days to organise I shouldn't think.

It would be nice to get in a few Days at HD before our Sept track tour. Im not sure if Playday are organising anything in July/.Aug but I spoke to Tony on Friday and they have a HD day on 7th and 21st September which I thought would be a great pre or post work out for the Rennsport Gruppe. The 7th may be a bit early/wet/cold (and no one wants to break their car before the tour) so maybe the 21st? Be interested in what you all say. Ill be going for sure!
Old 05-12-2013, 02:17 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

True, and the slippery slope isn't helped by the spousal unit asking for her $ for $ by direct credit now. In reality I think this car is heading towards backdate in the longer term rather than sale. BTW I couldn't open the file you sent me, on the iPhone or iPad. Maybe just a higher res graphic posted on the board will be enough. It's only being embroidered. Now where can I get a transfer made?
Old 05-12-2013, 02:25 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

And yes, definitely on for the 1st. That is beer and food isn't it?
Thought we'd sort closer to the time but maybe a late afternoon pint in mission bay at the belgian beer cafe - they do food and its only a short taxi ride home ;-)

Went for a drive yesterday to see how the brakes were after the judder the prev w/e and around town they were not so bad. We changed out the stock pads in the mid afternoon of the track day for some old Pagid RS-14's that Steve had with a couple of mm left. I wonder if they have scrubbed off some of the older pad material build up. Anyway, I will take to work tomorrow and give it a few good stops on the way and see how it holds up.

Just being out for an hour or so though reminded me just how much I love this car!!
Old 05-12-2013, 02:31 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
It would be nice to get in a few Days at HD before our Sept track tour. Im not sure if Playday are organising anything in July/.Aug but I spoke to Tony on Friday and they have a HD day on 7th and 21st September which I thought would be a great pre or post work out for the Rennsport Gruppe. The 7th may be a bit early/wet/cold (and no one wants to break their car before the tour) so maybe the 21st? Be interested in what you all say. Ill be going for sure!
I'll join you on the 7th if that's on. Will just do the gymkhana on the 8th June as have a family thing on the 9th then try and get a day in in each of Jul and Aug - be great of there was something at Puke.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S

Thought we'd sort closer to the time but maybe a late afternoon pint in mission bay at the belgian beer cafe - they do food and its only a short taxi ride home ;-)

Went for a drive yesterday to see how the brakes were after the judder the prev w/e and around town they were not so bad. We changed out the stock pads in the mid afternoon of the track day for some old Pagid RS-14's that Steve had with a couple of mm left. I wonder if they have scrubbed off some of the older pad material build up. Anyway, I will take to work tomorrow and give it a few good stops on the way and see how it holds up.

Just being out for an hour or so though reminded me just how much I love this car!!
I know where you are coming from. On the way to Chicane I took the on ramp near Penrose. Nailed the Turbo 3.6 in second gear with a rolling start at 50 km. my god what a rush. Like a jump to warp speed.

BTW I remember reading a thread years ago saying that rotor warping was a huge myth. I just searched and found multiple results. Here is one

Warped Rotors
There is a commonly held belief that disc brake rotors often warp under heat, which causes them to become wavy and cause pedal vibration. This belief is reinforced by the fact that this pedal oscillation disappears after the rotor is machined flat again. More often than not, this "warpage" is actually the result of an uneven buildup of metallic pad material on the rotor face. Before replacing your "warped" rotors with new ones, have them checked by a qualified mechanic with accurate equipment. If the disc is not warped the same amount on both sides, then your mechanic need only shave off the extra pad material on one side.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Don't know why but Pukekohe doesn't interest me. Simon said he was bouncing around in the 997 Cup too much to enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?