Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dave. Update us on your car. What have you got planned? Hows the bamboo idea shaping up!
Old 06-28-2013, 03:17 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Count me in too..........

NIT 2012
SIT 2013
USA 2014

maybe 'the Ring' 2015??
As if the modification bug wasn't bad enough now we're into planning international travel 2 years out? You guys are killing my wallet.

OK, I'm in.....
Old 06-28-2013, 03:29 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by peterC2S
As if the modification bug wasn't bad enough now we're into planning international travel 2 years out? You guys are killing my wallet.

OK, I'm in.....
lol. just lol.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

That's what I like about you Pete. You are always ready to play!

So that's three up (Paul, Pete, Mark)

If we were looking at a tailored 5 day course for a dedicated group I think we would be looking at around 6-7k usd a head. If we can stick with west coat end of summer (AuglSept) it might keep the cost down. Being close to LA could be good for a two day workshop/museum tour visiting some of the famous tuners and people like Magnus Walker. Im pretty sure I can organise to see Magnus and Bob on this board did many of the long hood/356 tuners a few months back in LA so could recommend an itinerary. Probably a 10 day trip. We can organise it any way we want to....

If there are others potentially interested the please say so. There are a number of great tracks in the USA all we need is an organisation that can tailor a good package with cars and proper instruction and tuition on race craft etc
Old 06-28-2013, 04:04 AM
mjg
Pro

I'm in.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ok. Thats 4. Give me one more hand in the air and Ill call Skip Barbers and see if we can make it a reality. Then we can float it in the RSG board and see if we can pick up another 5. Im pretty sure I know at least one couple that would be keen...
Old 06-28-2013, 04:26 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Combine with a race meet - F1 in Texas, Indycar, Nascar etc and a road trip to Vegas and then we're talking!
Old 06-28-2013, 04:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

On a separate topic if you haven't already done so please cast your vote over the weekend on the RSG board for whether you would like Ray to accompany us on the NITT for tuition. We have 6 votes out of 13 participants and need some more votes before making a call on it...
Old 06-28-2013, 04:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Combine with a race meet - F1 in Texas, Indycar, Nascar etc and a road trip to Vegas and then we're talking!
Cant speak now for the race meet as driving school dates, availability and price will dictate all else but if we are in California then definitely a road trip to Vegas is a must! Hire a Escapade van/SUV and do the "fear and loathing" tour LOL!
Old 06-28-2013, 04:57 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

That's 5 ya mean
Old 06-28-2013, 06:05 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
That's what I like about you Pete. You are always ready to play!

So that's three up (Paul, Pete, Mark)

If we were looking at a tailored 5 day course for a dedicated group I think we would be looking at around 6-7k usd a head. If we can stick with west coat end of summer (AuglSept) it might keep the cost down. Being close to LA could be good for a two day workshop/museum tour visiting some of the famous tuners and people like Magnus Walker. Im pretty sure I can organise to see Magnus and Bob on this board did many of the long hood/356 tuners a few months back in LA so could recommend an itinerary. Probably a 10 day trip. We can organise it any way we want to....

If there are others potentially interested the please say so. There are a number of great tracks in the USA all we need is an organisation that can tailor a good package with cars and proper instruction and tuition on race craft etc
I was assuming we could lease a car in the states? Might have the rent a new Porsche??
Old 06-28-2013, 08:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. The professional drivers academies I was considering all include the car as part of the deal.

It is easy to lease an exotic in LA (Beverly Hills Car Rental is the firm we use). But its not cheap. A Gallado runs around 5-600 a day from memory.

Crack out your back catalog of "Californication" season 1, episode 1 and get into the 964 spirit of the occasion I say. Stones playing "you cant always get what you want" , opening church scene pan to some nun action etc....
Old 06-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Dave. Update us on your car. What have you got planned? Hows the bamboo idea shaping up!
So far the only actual mod I have done is Plastidip the wheels! but a parts stash is building;
Clear turn signals and side repeaters
Brake ducts - in addition to the Techart ones so I can decide which comes out best. Might do a carbon fibre wrap - boy racer style
Cup bypass pipe.
Some internal trim to tidy a few things.
Factory RS mounts - FD motorsports
A new set of Pagids - FD motorsports
A set of Dunlop 03G tarmac tyres - 16" for my D90's as my preferred track wheels (light). Can't believe my luck, Dunlop NZ had an unpopular size they want to clear - 16" rears perfect for me. Fronts full price though.
Heigo half cage with x brace and belt guide bar - through Gert.
2 x sabelt 3" 5 point harnesses. As cage comes later, we are using the rear seatbelt mounts for shoulder strap attachments for now. When cage comes, it uses these so I will get some nice laser cut steel tags that will sandwich between the cage and mount and provide a clipping facility for the harnesses.
Road belts remain for road use.
An appointment with Road Race and Rally to get harness mounts and a drivers seat fitted.
Small slimline number plate from Personalised plates - legal - had a copper relieve me of my german plates on my E60 Motorsport the other day. Didn't fine me though.
RS door cards of my own construction, lucky me has a 3D ABS printer at work and SolidWorks to model up fittings, this is where the interior might see some hot *******, or I'll bottle out and go black.
Stereo and speaker delete, drew up a blanking plate to move the console switches up to there to simplify the console area.
Got all excited for 5 minutes last week and partly modelled up some Fuchs centers on Solidworks, investigated 6061 T6 plate supply and jumped on trademe to look for a set of butt ugly japanese style three piece wheels to lend their barrels and lips to the new centers. Did a quick calc and buying new might be cheaper but there's less fun in that. Long term project but my wheel search is going nowhere. Plenty of tasty stuff but I'm a tight ar**.
I dismissed the ducktail and RS rear bumper - really wanted that but it comes out a bit much once painted and fitted.
Tow hooks front and rear - will do my own - laser cut steel welded to a bolt with a shoulder and an O ring, although I hear the thread is a weird one.
Side skirt seals, There is a window glazing rubber that pushes in and stays put that I have to replace the shrunken ones, works excellently and looks tidy being just the one piece.
Thats about it I think.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:07 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 373 Posts

Living the dream.
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2013, 07:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 373 Posts

Gruppe is well represented
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?