Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 06:45 AM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey John, you tipo 'ing or toggle shift..I got told off for moving my hand to change with my thumb..how else would you do it..Reminds me of jeremy clarkson poo pooing them as 'difficult'.. kinda of understand now
Old 07-01-2013, 07:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Hey John, you tipo 'ing or toggle shift..I got told off for moving my hand to change with my thumb..how else would you do it..Reminds me of jeremy clarkson poo pooing them as 'difficult'.. kinda of understand now
Phil, the first Playday I tried toggle shift. A waste of time and almost ended up with Steve R up my bumper in turn 8 when I had hands in the wrong place and couldn't shift down. Ever since then I've run it in auto. It adapts pretty quickly when it knows what you're up to. It's never seemed out of gear. Now that I know the 9 and 3 position I can imagine it might work in toggle, but what's the point when the auto isn't" letting it down?
Old 07-01-2013, 03:49 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
..those tyres sure hang on..
Well I reckon by the 7th Sept there will probably be another half dozen cars running those same tyres - Macca & John already have em ready to go and the word is spreading! Should be the great leveler.

To Matt's question earlier about how long they last, I'm not sure yet. I'll run the next 2 sessions at HD in Aug and Sept and then get them swapped over for the track tour. Hopefully a few more sessions after that as well. But the left side are definitely wearing with that sweeper action. So I reckon maybe 8-10 full track days plus a bit of road driving. And even if they do fall off the cliff before seeing how they behave will be a learning experience.

The biggest mods from here would have to be losing some weight (me and the car!!)
Old 07-01-2013, 05:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Some weight will be much easier to jettison than that around my midrift!

I’ve already got some kilos off the standard car e.g. RS Clutch and Primary Muffler Bypass.

The ducktail is 5.3kg, which must be a lot lighter than the normal engine cover (I’ll weigh it when I change over). The Fuchs save further weight, maybe 12kg in total.

Next I’ll check the unnecessary fluid weights e.g. a full tank of gas is almost 55kg. Run a quarter tank and save 41kg. I already have the Jerry Can to refill on the day.

Then comes the spare tyre [car’s not mine], jack, tool kit, carpet.

Not a dollar extra to me in doing all of the above. Test fit Macca’s door cards if they come to my address , then look at seats.

With all of the above we must be talking 150kg. 50kg lighter than a standard C2.

Last edited by John McM; 07-01-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Weight is definitely the key once engine, suspension and brakes are all set up and working nicely.

I've become a bit of an expert on weight reduction struggling to find a few kg here and there whilst not compromising the cars ability for touring or DD work (air con, stereo, sunroof, other electrical creature comforts etc).

The seats (front passenger & driver) are the biggest immediate savings with a light weight bucket set up on sliding rails providing a net weight benefit of around 45kg over the factory comfort seats.

The battery is an easy one with around 8kg savings going to a GelCel.

Rear seat backs and belts are only worth around 8-9kg all up but do help.

Carpet and sound deadening are food for around 20kg but ideally you do need to put some strategic sound matting down in certain places to avoid annoying resonance and noise. The guy at Hamiltons Autohaus explained to us where to put this and it was good insiders info.

The factory window screen washer bottle carries 6kgs of fluid full and the large plastic tank weights 1.5Kg. Its situated in the passenger side front wing. Moving to the RS washer bottle set up (1.5 litre and weighs 400 grams) is a cheap 6kg weight loss for a relatively easy FIY. I paid 55 Euro for the full factory RS system including bracket.

The front factory carpet is 3kg and if cut down just to leave the piece over the spare wheel (aka 964/993 RS) will save around 2kg.

I wouldn't remove the spare wheel personally. The tools fine, but the spare wheel in the 964/993 is debatable necessary for front structural rigidity in the case of a frontal accident.

RS door cards with speakers will save around 6-7kg and without speakers maybe 9.

The above are probably all the tricks worth considering for a budget weight reduction. After this you start getting to parts under 1kg and the $$$$ skyrocket.

For reference My car with all options on the race scales made 1415 kg (factory say 1370kg base spec but that without options for wheels, air con, sunroof and of course I had added a heavier set of speakers, 18 wheels/tyres, upgrades to electrics, HIDs, strut brace, GPS tracker etc).

By August I will have managed to strip around net 120kg from the car since the beginning but putting 18kg back in for the half cage will mean at very best the car will be 1315kg ready for touring (half tank gas, tool kit pump , fires extinguisher etc). To get at 120kg net reduction (whilst also beefing up and enhancing some areas of the car) I have had to resort to some quite technical and crafty (not to mention bloody expensive) weight reduction approaches like raw carbon transmission and fuel pump covers, removal of brake backing plates, clutch breather modification, solid rear suspension tub mounts, rear heater blower removal, rear airbox removal etc

The best place to start is with half a tank of gas and everything on board and put it on some race scales. Once you have a baseline you will have a better understanding of how you program improves the weight of the car.

IMO 150kg reduction on a 964 C4 is very ambitious. 90-100kg is probably more realistic without resorting to full a/c system removal, sunroof delete etc. Remember too that your car will unlikely weigh as low as the factory figures for your model in the first place as the factory typically quoted.

For handling purposes Id suggest keeping the tank around 1/2 full during each track session. You can save some weight running less but the weight balance of the car reverts rearward and you really need some weight over the front wheels to get the front end keying in as best and you can....

Pete. The single most obvious/cost effective solution for you to loose weight on the C4 without compromising it as a daily driver would be a pair of nice race seats. They are something you can take to another car. Not only will they save you 40+ kg but they will hold you in the car firmer making cornering seem easier and also they connect you better to whats happening with the car. I personally wouldn't go any further on your car. You will get to 1.20 at HD in that car anyway as you continue to improve but the seat change will help make that happen sooner I suspect. If a well set up and driven 964 C2 (Matts old car) is hitting 1.18-1.19 (assume 221s) then the C4 with the same driver shouldn't be any more than 1.0 second behind (1.19-1.20) is my thoughts. 100kg = 1 second. Thats what Im hoping for HD when I don't have a passenger, tool kit, pump jack and full tank etc in any case....
Old 07-01-2013, 06:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Dang, I know what I'll be looking to put in my luggage next time I cross the ditch.

http://www.raceramps.com.au/56q-race-ramps.html
Old 07-01-2013, 07:28 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Shannon Brown <Shannon.Brown@valuetyres.co.nz>

This is the contact for the PCNZ Hankook deal.

I managed to get 205/15's Z214's for $189 + GST and 225/15's for $225 + GST, so track tires for under a grand...........
Old 07-01-2013, 07:30 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Further to Macca's email above above, I never go below 1/3 for 8 laps as I find the car misses existing turn 10 onto the straight (too many G's starving the tank)

Last edited by kiwi 911; 07-02-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:42 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Dang, I know what I'll be looking to put in my luggage next time I cross the ditch.

http://www.raceramps.com.au/56q-race-ramps.html
I want something similar but that you can drive the rear wheels forward onto - so as to give enough clearance for my trolley jack. The one pictured won't let you do that as you couldn't reverse it. So back to planks of wood for me!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:03 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I want something similar but that you can drive the rear wheels forward onto - so as to give enough clearance for my trolley jack. The one pictured won't let you do that as you couldn't reverse it. So back to planks of wood for me!
http://www.raceramps.com.au/roll-ups.html
Old 07-01-2013, 09:36 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Thanks - not cheap! sure I can do as well with some timber and anti slip mat.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Well I reckon by the 7th Sept there will probably be another half dozen cars running those same tyres - Macca & John already have em ready to go and the word is spreading! Should be the great leveler.

To Matt's question earlier about how long they last, I'm not sure yet. I'll run the next 2 sessions at HD in Aug and Sept and then get them swapped over for the track tour. Hopefully a few more sessions after that as well. But the left side are definitely wearing with that sweeper action. So I reckon maybe 8-10 full track days plus a bit of road driving. And even if they do fall off the cliff before seeing how they behave will be a learning experience.

The biggest mods from here would have to be losing some weight (me and the car!!)
Thanks Pete, that was me.
Don't ask me why but in the last two weeks I've acquired 3 sets of track tyres;
Dunlop Direzza DZ03g medium / hard
Dunlop Formula R soft (new old stock so who knows how they will go)
Bridgestone RE540S soft.
So I reckon I have a few years supply here.
Plus the Bridgestone RE11's have a few days left in them.
All this means I'm committed to D90's on track forever.
Car is at Road Race and Rally today getting harness mounts and a seat fitted.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:34 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Thanks Pete, that was me.
Don't ask me why but in the last two weeks I've acquired 3 sets of track tyres;
Dunlop Direzza DZ03g medium / hard
Dunlop Formula R soft (new old stock so who knows how they will go)
Bridgestone RE540S soft.
So I reckon I have a few years supply here.
Plus the Bridgestone RE11's have a few days left in them.
All this means I'm committed to D90's on track forever.
Car is at Road Race and Rally today getting harness mounts and a seat fitted.
I'll be really interested in how the DZ03's run. I almost went for them but they were a bit more than the Hankooks in 17s. And I was really keen to try the softs although medium rears would have been better.

What seat did you end up with?

Is anyone else going to do the MSNZ training at the club this Thurs? I can only make the 10 Aug sprints but I've signed up for this and can car share across if that works.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

David. What seat did you go for? Only one?

You'll find those R compound tyres allow you to play with a far more aggressive camber than the RE11s. My RE11s cooked themselves very quickly with -2.5 degrees rear and -2.80 front settings...
Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Is anyone else going to do the MSNZ training at the club this Thurs? I can only make the 10 Aug sprints but I've signed up for this and can car share across if that works.
Thinking about it. Do you do the test the same night?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?