Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 09:16 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Understand. I spoke with a 964 owner who had random offers to buy his car. Thing is, as he said, "once you sell how do you find another"? In most cases you can't, which is why you are getting unsolicited offers in the first place. I wonder how long until Chris B coughs his 964 up? Only three people were approached on that one so the wider market value still hasn't been determined for that level of car.
Yes I agree but unlike many have never seen the issue of buying back. Everything is for sale at the right price. Once you really decide you want something back you find an example you like and make a very healthy offer. It's like my old RS. Most frequent question after why did you sell it is would you buy it back. The answer is probably not or else it would be in my garage right now. I don't see the original new owners of those cars running out to buy them again do you? Think about it. Ray Barker pay 270k for new 993 RS in 1995. Today he could have that same car in his garage guaranteed for 350k folding. That's half ten price he paid for it u flatiron adjusted albeit with 80000km on it. Ray's not a poor man and probably three times wealthier now than in1995. Why doesn't he have 993 RS in garage then? He still loves his cars....because you get older and you move on.

I may be too old before my time but I call spades, spades and don't preach what I'm not prepared (or have already) practiced. Much of your evolution over last 4 years has not surprised me nor others. It's stages of where you are at. Time makes a difference. So you sell your old car and you play with some new (to you) ones and you always miss the old one but not enough to actually own it again or else you would. Nothing is unobtainable if you really want it. many cars changing hands like like Sean's privately. Sean didn't want to stuff around on TM, too much going on in his life for that so he approached A third party to put the word out to a few people who have the $$$ and won't fumble on if they want it. He got a result he was happy with and so did the buyer. Sure the market may have been 5k higher (or lower) but everyone's busy earning bucks to pay for living so 5k is 5k and life moves on.

pS Pete is an example of someone moved on from 964 a few times. Seems happy where he's at. Chris M too. Jamie, Matt G, Craig with his black 997. List goes on. 997S, Cayman S, GT3, GT4, Cayman R, 911 T, 911 SC - choose your poison...
Old 01-29-2016, 09:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ps in no way implying I think you should sell Herman. Would be very surprised if you did as you enjoy working on it almost as much as driving it and a later car may not provide that opportunity. I think you have created something quite personal there and should enjoy it once it's back. But we all go through life style changes (kids, income, age) so never say never I guess...
Old 01-29-2016, 10:00 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel

chrisch was considering moving his left hook SC some time ago, he may have changed his mind but it looked like a nice car. Obviously no 944 on track but better for double duty.
Hi Pel, I still have the SC, but haven't been too serious about selling it so haven't actively pushed it as I haven't been able to find anything I'd rather have….. I think thats about to change though, so if anyone has $40k burning a hole in their pockets, let me know

Old 01-29-2016, 11:53 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Whangarei District Council have freshened the seal on 70% of Oakura road, bar the Helena Bay Hill. Probably even smooth enough for a 996.2 GT3 now.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:05 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Whangarei District Council have freshened the seal on 70% of Oakura road, bar the Helena Bay Hill. Probably even smooth enough for a 996.2 GT3 now.
Hope you're not serious. You know what happens when 996.2 gt3 owners (especially former 993 owners) drive that road...!
Old 01-30-2016, 12:11 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Hope you're not serious. You know what happens when 996.2 gt3 owners (especially former 993 owners) drive that road...!
Ouch!

BTW fellow Sprinters and other racers, week 2 NZFMR pics are up at GroundSky.co.nz
Old 01-30-2016, 12:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Interesting. Lots of fresh loose stones Doug?
Old 01-30-2016, 12:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Ouch! BTW fellow Sprinters, week 2 NZFMR pics are up at GroundSky. Hopefully any profits go into a bigger zoom lens.
Ridiculous prices these guys all want for a few album snaps IMO. I guess they got to make a living but if they put all 11 pictures of my car on WK1 on a disc and asked $90 like they used to with the targa in the good old days I'd buy it. But at $15 an image (reasonable size) they got $45 business from me instead. Go figure. It's like having an over priced hotel with empty rooms....
Old 01-30-2016, 01:31 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Interesting. Lots of fresh loose stones Doug?
It's brand new, 50kph zone. Haven't even painted the lines yet. Fortunately past that initial wet tar stage and now ready for sweeping and painting. Right now it's definitely 50kph speeds! By April it should be pretty nice I reckon.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:21 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nmaisey
I think it's blue if you look closely.

Sam does this make another of us considering the more dedicated (manual) track car route?

I'm thinking 944s2.....but tossing up selling the 964 as I love it so much

you me and pel could have our pick of 944 race cars by the sounds of it. we could race in the Porsche series together!
yeah mate I think a s2 alongside the 964 is a good way to have something suited for purpose for both track and street. question is what is it going to be like at hd now, it's not ideal buying a new toy when the playground is getting expensive to visit.

The alternative is a 997 c2/s that covers both bases. impressed with mr mendes in the c4s and how he's ramped his times down
Old 01-30-2016, 02:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
yeah mate I think a s2 alongside the 964 is a good way to have something suited for purpose for both track and street. question is what is it going to be like at hd now, it's not ideal buying a new toy when the playground is getting expensive to visit. The alternative is a 997 c2/s that covers both bases. impressed with mr mendes in the c4s and how he's ramped his times down
I don't think HD prices will change too much for RSGers. Pete and I have looked at this and we are confident there is a solution which should see everyone satisfied.

A 997 C2S is a great solution. With a set of track tyres. Mendes can almost catch (;-p) the 993 on z221 with his C4S on fast road tyres so I would have to say there is a late 14 in a well dialled in and set up 997S, driven competently on 221s at HD. That's fairly impressive as only 1s a lap off a 6 GT3. Mind you Chris is FNA (the Flying North American) after all!
Old 01-30-2016, 02:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

It's brand new, 50kph zone. Haven't even painted the lines yet. Fortunately past that initial wet tar stage and now ready for sweeping and painting. Right now it's definitely 50kph speeds! By April it should be pretty nice I reckon.
Sounds great once it's broken in and swept up. Last time I drove that road at 50 kmph it was gravel the whole way and car sick. 1992 I think it was....:-)
Old 01-30-2016, 03:16 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Ditto - still falling deeper in love with mine too. A caged manual alongside would be nice though I suppose.
another 'alongside' qualifies as an upgrade I reckon.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:25 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I don't think HD prices will change too much for RSGers. Pete and I have looked at this and we are confident there is a solution which should see everyone satisfied.

A 997 C2S is a great solution. With a set of track tyres. Mendes can almost catch (;-p) the 993 on z221 with his C4S on fast road tyres so I would have to say there is a late 14 in a well dialled in and set up 997S, driven competently on 221s at HD. That's fairly impressive as only 1s a lap off a 6 GT3. Mind you Chris is FNA (the Flying North American) after all!
Doug - that's a HUGE call saying the road is 6.GT3 friendly........

Steve was doing high 13's in his targa prepped 997 2S so 997's with some moderate track prep are actually the same speed or slightly quicker than earily GT3's.............
Old 01-30-2016, 03:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Doug - that's a HUGE call saying the road is 6.GT3 friendly........ Steve was doing high 13's in his targa prepped 997 2S so 997's with some moderate track prep are actually the same speed or slightly quicker than earily GT3's.............
Yeah but the 997 I wouldn't call moderately track prepared mate and Steve will always deny ant special sauce though we know there often is ;-).

Got to compare apples with apples. Boys above talking road cars not cars gutted for Comp.

Moderately track prepared = a few aftermarket suspension bits, a geo, some track pads and R comps along with some SRF and/or pads.

Pulling out all the interior furniture, seats, door cards, carpets and electrical gear etc isn't what we are talking about here.

The test I use is simple. If my wife and I can load up either of our 911s for a long weekend, drive 2000 km over a long weekend, do 2 track days and return home happy about that (both tall and one with back injury) then it's a success. We did that two weeks ago in the 993 on aggressive camber and R comps and track settings and it actually just past the test. With road tyres and softening up the PSS10 and bars we have done 5500 km in one trip but I should say it was boarder line for the last two days. I thinks the limit is 4000 for that car. The 991 GT3 can do 5500 and track days anytime without fatigue.

The wife test is the defining moment.

Steve won't put Mandy into any of his serious track cars. They have no air con, are bone jarring, loud on the chip seal and full of cages and rattles lol

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?