Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016 | 05:50 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Why go to all the trouble to make them manual? Send all the NZ tipo 993s to the UK they are asking $100-150k NZD for low mileage ones there!!!

PS this is NOT a silly Porsche pricing discussion!!!
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2016 | 06:14 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

How times change. I bought my green 993 2S from Paragon in 2003 - GBP42k - and it was only 6 years old at the time.
Old 01-28-2016 | 06:53 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Promises, promises. NITT is almost 10 months away John and half the RSG fleet will have changed hands again by then lol! We are all growing old. Time is short... On a serious note. That rod breakage seems very odd. If not a metallurgy issue then an issue of obstruction perhaps. I'd do lots of looking around on RL but also more on Pelican to see if others have had similar issue and what it could be. I have no idea but wouldn't have thought it's a wear item? Hopefully can be sorted out quickly but at who's cost?
The symptoms up until the box locked itself in third are very clear. Unfortunately I don't know enough as to how a box works to derive a definitive analysis from them as to what happened. That said, the breakage is very odd and I'm at a loss to know how gears could be selected if the rod was broken and if it wasn't broken then why was the gear shifting to neutral at 5,000 rpm in third? The part itself is not expensive, however there is obviously a question of time taken. It will be worked out and I'll do my research if necessary.

As for promises. The box issue and my work schedule are killing the known track dates. With Europe later on it could actually be the NITT as the first track day in Herman.
Old 01-28-2016 | 07:35 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

We are all growing old. Time is short...
I take heart from the likes of Racing Ray, Kenny Smith, and Walter Rohrl all still showing us how it's done. Health and long life aren't a given though, so yes, it pays to grab those opportunities while they're to hand.
Old 01-28-2016 | 08:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
The symptoms up until the box locked itself in third are very clear. Unfortunately I don't know enough as to how a box works to derive a definitive analysis from them as to what happened. That said, the breakage is very odd and I'm at a loss to know how gears could be selected if the rod was broken and if it wasn't broken then why was the gear shifting to neutral at 5,000 rpm in third? The part itself is not expensive, however there is obviously a question of time taken. It will be worked out and I'll do my research if necessary.

As for promises. The box issue and my work schedule are killing the known track dates. With Europe later on it could actually be the NITT as the first track day in Herman.
Fair enough John. You know we are all rooting for you on this. An RSG day without you doesn't feel like a complete RSG IMO. 2015 was a bit of a dry year for Herman with refurb and offshore work dates. Hopefully the second half of 2016 Herman will pay you back in spades...
Old 01-28-2016 | 08:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
I take heart from the likes of Racing Ray, Kenny Smith, and Walter Rohrl all still showing us how it's done. Health and long life aren't a given though, so yes, it pays to grab those opportunities while they're to hand.
They are all Legends but the only one I know personally is Ray. Spent a good half hour chatting with him at the dinner function first weekend of Festival. Hes got some great stories to tell and is always such a friendly guy. Cant believe hes 70 something. Short people live longer aye....its been proven....so taller people need to spend the money earlier and get their kicks in I reckon!
Old 01-28-2016 | 04:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Fair enough John. You know we are all rooting for you on this. An RSG day without you doesn't feel like a complete RSG IMO. 2015 was a bit of a dry year for Herman with refurb and offshore work dates. Hopefully the second half of 2016 Herman will pay you back in spades...
Thanks, it does feel like the fun police have my number right now. I even checked the flights to Queenstown on the weekend of 12/13 March as I'm based in Wellington that weekend, but the lack of night flights limit the time on ground.
Old 01-28-2016 | 06:00 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Raying Ray has just purchased at 73 Rs Tribute car to go racing. The car is road legal and we need to get him into RSG.........
Old 01-28-2016 | 06:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Raying Ray has just purchased at 73 Rs Tribute car to go racing. The car is road legal and we need to get him into RSG.........
That's interesting news. I think we might bore him on the track but on the social side it would be a hoot. Invite him to sign up. Will be no problem getting committee to sign off!
Old 01-28-2016 | 06:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks, it does feel like the fun police have my number right now. I even checked the flights to Queenstown on the weekend of 12/13 March as I'm based in Wellington that weekend, but the lack of night flights limit the time on ground.
I know the feeling. Just had to go to town and fight for a ticket out of here in 3 weeks as AirNZ and Virgin pulled out this week siting runway maintenance issues. It's going to destroy our holiday rental bookings which were already low after PAM. Another expensive year then..,,
Old 01-28-2016 | 06:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I know the feeling. Just had to go to town and fight for a ticket out of here in 3 weeks as AirNZ and Virgin pulled out this week siting runway maintenance issues. It's going to destroy our holiday rental bookings which were already low after PAM. Another expensive year then..,,
Air Van was the only game in town for our time in Vila. The differential from Economy to Business Class was often low so we'd take the latter, that's how well locals were looked after, not!

Feel for you two up there. It's one thing after another in the Pacific....which is why we moved home after all of those years.
Old 01-28-2016 | 07:28 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
would that have been the ex lighting direct RS that was for sale at HD during the festival? Do you know if that sold? Also does any one know if the Geoff Short RSR sold?
Old 01-28-2016 | 08:07 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
would that have been the ex lighting direct RS that was for sale at HD during the festival? Do you know if that sold? Also does any one know if the Geoff Short RSR sold?
Feeling for you Macca.............two years of budgeting (not spending 6 months in Europe), is going to be tough mate, you will just have to settle for 6 weeks instead (you are still my hero).........

Yes - the Lighting Direct LJ car - asking was $80K, who knows what it sold for. I was told by 'reliable sources' it needs quite a bit of money spending on it - but who knows??

RSR - nothing happened with regards to auction.
Old 01-28-2016 | 08:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks LOL!

I looked at that car at the Festival. Had great patina.
Old 01-28-2016 | 09:09 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Dan has opened the box. The diagnosis is a broken 3/4 selector rod. Very unusual. It would appear that the box locked up when the rod end fell off. So far that's the only damage.
Might be some relevant stuff here?

http://californiamotorsports.net/pro...4th-shift-fork

The factory cast aluminum 993 fork suffers from an inherent weakness in which the steel insert that the reverse lever actuates - is prone to failure. The cast steel RS fork does not have this issue

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ml#post9055787

Cheers,
Mike

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?