Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 06:09 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

no Sweat Walt, don't claim to know everything but a few bumps and bruises over the last 8 years might provide a few learnings
Old 05-24-2015, 08:54 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Macca, your old car? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-890513628.htm
Old 05-24-2015, 04:31 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I also have the tar residue over the whole back of the 993. What a mess! Tail pipes are covered in melted tar and will need removing, degreasing and polishing. Paint will need a cut after getting all of that stuff off...
Use something like Tar X Macca; dissolves the tar in a few mins, making it very easy to wipe off. Will need a wax afterwards, but shouldn't need a cut & polish.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Jake. I tried that but the tar has been on the car during a road rally so the tar is covered with dust and dirt. when you met the tar you end up having to clean the mess up and it contains lots of fine grit from the road that damages the clear coat (dark coloured cars suck!). It may be possible to spray that stuff on then waterblast the soft residue? I havent tried that...
Old 05-24-2015, 04:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
John. Looks familiar. This is the only one of four Porsches Ive imported that has ever come on the market (now for its third time). The GT3 is still with its original Hamilton doctor owner 11 years now and the RS has traded only privately.

This was/is a very original car. rare too in 6spd manual.

They gobble money though these cars. I spent 9K on it when I owned it. Some of that was cosmetic like the replica Cup1 alloys + OEM sport/RS steering wheel. However I did a very bog service inc the belts/water pump/leads/plugs etc at 60,000km when I imported it in 2004 so they definitely need another go on a time basis and it looks like they have been done.

That was a $3500 back then, more now. The clutch went on me too which was around $2500 including labour. Other than the clutch it was 100% reliable, but I know the owner a few on from me spent a bit on it mechanically too ($5000+).

At the time I was surprised thinking a 944/968 was a cheaper running ownership proposition than a 993. Then I met others spent similar to me on their 944/968 and realised the 911 is at least as cheap t maintain - the fact it doesnt need water pump/belts hob every 50k km/5 years or whatever the interval was makes a difference dependant on where you are in the ownership cycle. Also parts for these just as pricey as 911.

When I imported that car from Japan it was so original it even had the rubber gloves under the boot supplied so you dont get your hands dirty removing the cowling panel to fill the water and oil etc! It was a real time warp and had never been in an accident. Infact I doubt in the 12 years since it had left the factory it had been anywhere other than short weekend runs and the dealer for service. The car was 100% as it rolled from the factory floor, genuine mileage one owner in Japan.

Its been good value. I bought it for $28k in 2004? I sold it for $37K in 2005/6. IIRC it sold for around $33K next around 2008. Its probably a good buy around $25K to the right person as they arent getting easier to find.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:02 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Are those steering wheels collectable? I took mine off Herman to fit the Momo. A solid piece of kit.
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2015, 06:05 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Well put Macca. Just cleaned the car. Removed lots of tar, especially around the back bumper where it seems to get sucked on. Found a few new paint chips around the front and bonnet but no more that I'd expect from normal spirited use. Finished with a polish. Need to get some of that dragons breath for my wheels. Lots of brake dust and also plenty of tar yet to be removed off the wheels. Saving that for another day. Done enough cleaning today :-/
I bought a heap of Dragons Breath. Enough to last a decade. You can try before you buy
Old 05-24-2015, 06:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. I bought mine "over the shelf" from Gert back in 2004 for IIRC $5-600 USD complete. At that time they werent common to find used, however it was a decade ago and I should say they are probably worth at least that amount used now if other parts prices are anything to go by. They are a nice wheel. Essentially they are a Momo with a centre piece. The reason I bought the wheel was simply because the factory wheel (similar to the older 964s) felt too skinny in the hands. This wheel definitely felt nicer to me....
Old 05-24-2015, 06:41 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Jake. I tried that but the tar has been on the car during a road rally so the tar is covered with dust and dirt. when you met the tar you end up having to clean the mess up and it contains lots of fine grit from the road that damages the clear coat (dark coloured cars suck!). It may be possible to spray that stuff on then waterblast the soft residue? I havent tried that...
I washed mine first to remove all the dirt. Then gave the area with tar a quick dry, and sprayed those areas with Tar X. Means a double wash (as you need to use soap to remove the solvent after wiping off the tar), but way better for the paint.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:46 PM
shiraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try butter on the tar - cleans tar off skin!
Old 05-24-2015, 07:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Butter! That's an excellent natural solution although I see the price of butter in NZ is possibly more expensive than Tar-X! I can add another here - peanut oil (cheap) is the best reviver or rubber and dark plastics you will find. As good as Meguirs back to black or any other product. Can also be used sparingly on wheel side walls and will soak in and not flick off :-)

Jake. My issue is wiping off the Tar. Ive done as you have said (replace tar-X with Desolvit citrus cleaner). Issue is I have to then wipe off the melted tar residue. The tar is completely impeded with abrasives such as dirt and sand and crap from the roads which has stuck to the tar. When wiping the tar off even carefully with tissues I found I had left swirls all through the clear coat (shows up against the dark blue) once the car was then washed again, rinsed and champoised. Only option I had was 2-3 hours on my knees with a clay bar. I chose instead to have the paint machine polished as there were plenty of other areas needed attention too. This time I have no plan and Im not in NZ now so Ive sent it to CCS for post targa fluid top ups/general check over and repair of a star in the window from the Targa and Ive instructed them to clean the car and remove the tips to be polished. Im not sure how it will come out with the tar as they may not do more than a simple wash and dry. Ive also noted the rear red "reflector" strip has cracked with age and particularly heat from the track and Targa use. The one on the car I replaced almost 10 years ago with new when car was having full glass out repaint. They are expensive and Im not sure I can be bothered just now so may leave that and do all the plastic lenses together during a respray in the future. The OZ wheels also show some wear and tear - just the paint as they send them out with a peculiar shadow chrome type finish which is very thin and seems to mark very easily. She's mechanically very sound and well specced/set up but exterior cosmetics are now definitely on the wane. Given the use the car gets I think Ill leave it a few more years, perhaps once the engine needs some attention I will look to do that then tidy up the exterior and give her a new "image".
Old 05-24-2015, 07:12 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Ahh I see. Sorry should have picked up on that (need my morning coffee!!).

We need Warwick to chime in and offer a Detailer's (OCD) insight.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Ahh I see. Sorry should have picked up on that (need my morning coffee!!). We need Warwick to chime in and offer a Detailer's (OCD) insight.
No worries. Probably a unique post Targa issue and certainly less of an issue with a lighter colour. IIRC I've only experienced this issue post targa tour and maybe to a lesser extent on the summer SITT....be interested if there is a more sympathetic way to remove the rear bumper tar/dirt from someone in the know....
Old 05-24-2015, 08:55 PM
Thesnowman
Intermediate

White spirits melts the tar off! But also takes any wax off.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:00 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

CRC 556 takes tar off. They even write it on the can now.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?