Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 04:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
The Classic Trials are the same.

It may be heresy but it may be the requirements are too high for some. You have so many people running in the 2 RSG events prior to the Festival that I could see a freer format track run for 15 minute having more entries. Maybe one air cooled and one kettle run per day, or air cooled one day and kettle the next. Might have to forgo Prestigio cover if more than 10 each time.
Its a good idea. I think it was Steve that I discussed this idea with at NITT.

An "RSG Demonstration Group" to fill a 15 minute slot. 15 cars running a fair clip with lovely sounding exhausts doing 195-235 kmph down the front straight. Would have been magic. I could get Mr Barker to sign ff on that no problem. 15 cars Day 1 Air Sucker and 15 the next Water boiler. Would have no problems getting the numbers. Wouldn't be a competition as such. Doubt our members would have been interested to pay anything/much for it per see...
Old 11-25-2015, 04:40 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
John, have you considered a clear bra? not just on the front half of the bonnet....as Macca will testify prob not the best solution long term. The technology and installation these days is much better than before. The adhesives don't yellow like they used to. UV protection, anti-mildew, etc

Trick would be to find a competent installer. This is key. Ideally, someone that can cut a template

Now is probably the time to think about it. Minimal paint correction after a new paint job
I did this on the 993, but the jury is out on this.

It costs about $1,500 to do your bonnet and front guards - almost as much as just touching up the paint?

Also the plastic will chip too and this looks just terrible to deal with (miles worse than a chip??)
Old 11-25-2015, 04:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Edit: The consumables on a GT3 are more, but overall costs are cheaper??

The GT3 didn't need a replacement engine (touch wood), gear box rebuild, suspension rebuild, calliper rebuild, rocker covers, CIS rebuilt, wheel bearings, SSI's and dansk muffler and the 100's of other things needed to make a non-dedicated track car into one. The C3 was totally rebuilt, so was the suspension to the 993. I will not make this mistake again - twice was enough to learn the lesson..........

GT3 ownership has been very cheap to date, in fact I would make a tidy profit if I deduct all costs of ownership from estimated sale price.

Macca - I think I am in the newer is better camp for the track.
Paul. I agree they are more "fit for purpose". However your GT3 is 20 years newer than your C3 too.

In the real world you need to add depreciation to the equation. Newer cars depreciate faster.

Referring to a car you bought under market value isnt typical of the senario unfortunately. The market is also very unusual at the moment.

For me the GT3 has been the cheapest 2 years (so far) in rad/track car ownership. So far one set of tyres and a set of front rotors and pads and one $600 service. I think one more set of tyres (already purchased), one service, SRF change and Ill make it through year 3 and another 10 track days, when the warranty will finally finish. Thats around $13,000 including tyres/pads/rotors, servicing and WOF/Reg for 3 years, 20 track days and an additional 20,000 km of road use. Id have to be happy with that...however it will need some pads/rotors/tyres before selling on so add another 10K there!

Regardless there is an argument for the newer track designed car. Its a lifestyle choice too. You get in it, it goes and is reliable on the track.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:44 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
John, have you considered a clear bra? not just on the front half of the bonnet....as Macca will testify prob not the best solution long term. The technology and installation these days is much better than before. The adhesives don't yellow like they used to. UV protection, anti-mildew, etc Trick would be to find a competent installer. This is key. Ideally, someone that can cut a template Now is probably the time to think about it. Minimal paint correction after a new paint job
I will put film on the painted sills and the shark fin as I know they take a pounding but I'm not convinced on the bigger areas. I'm happy to take the hits that will almost certainly come. The goal here is to have a car that will be with me until I peg it. It must be usable on a daily basis and for those road trips we have planned. I don't intend to fuss.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:49 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

I'm not sure who's entered but why are we not getting behind this, in the current format... gotta be a once in 10 year event.... The amount of time & money we put into our passion, people are coming to see Porsche, let's give them what they want! I mean to offend no one, but we have a Christmas ham under our arms, yet cry for no bread.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Guys - entires for the festival are slow..................

I now have to go into ring everyone and chase them mode to enter.

If you are planning on entering, can you enter now please to save me the loss of family time.......
Well said mate.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:01 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Cheers Macca,

Another thing - renew your PCNZ membership, as you need to be a member of a motorsport affiliated club to sign up on the day.

Your membership expires in Dec.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ive got a very strong opinion on the clear film especially on white cars. NZ UV is a killer for this stuff (5 year/10 year warranties on products like Xpel etc overseas dont carry to NZ). Its expensive and if you need to repaint a panel it means replacing film. Regardless how good the stuff has got tyre marbles and road tar (always covering my cars after any real/hard road work in summer on NZ chip seal) is a bitch to get off the stuff needing chemicals and a rag and the vickers rating of a plastic film isnt as high as a clear lacquer so when you rub ff tar thats been impregnated with dust/grit and rad dirt it just leaves abrasions all over the place. As it ages products get softer and porus. Worse still if you remove and a panel has had hard rock chips paint may lift underneath. RThe best guys tkae the bumpers off and headlight out and cut it by hand. The dealer jbs do it by hand or template running shy of the actual curves around fog lights etc and once you look at a car has had a blasting (i.e. Richard S GT3) youll see all the chips are on those leading edges and looks unsightly - he would have been better to have had no film and a really cool patina as hes up for a full frontal paint job in any case. Fade off on partially covered panels especially on red and yellow cars an issue too. Ive heard 4K being charged for the front of a car but Im sure I can get mine shot over with white for hod, guards and bumper for not much more than that. Family friend been in the business 20+ years done all my past work but never again. At least hes been honest as hes not trying to sell me the product (he hates doing my cars).

Rant over LOL!

Pel. Agree with you - we should get behind it. I think there are already 6-7 of us on here already paid up and in an event, with yourself that makes 8 so lets see if we can encourage a few more along...
Old 11-25-2015, 05:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I will put film on the painted sills and the shark fin as I know they take a pounding but I'm not convinced on the bigger areas. I'm happy to take the hits that will almost certainly come. The goal here is to have a car that will be with me until I peg it. It must be usable on a daily basis and for those road trips we have planned. I don't intend to fuss.
Spot on!

I'm actually having mine all pulled off the 993 over Xmas. Its been on 11 years. Going to be ugly as I have some big rock chip bruises under the plastic from years of targa/track and driving like I stole it. CD are filling in the paint and giving it a polish before the Festival. Will still look crap but crap at 20 years rather than 50. I figured it needs some love to get it through another 5 years before I have to consider if to paint it again (and Im watching you guys and its putting me off right now LOL!). The parts behind the arches on my 993 is pebble dashed to the steel. I love the patina but thats probably one area to consider - get 4 sets made up because they will need replacing every year or two. NZ roads are very dirty. They are never cleaned like Euro B roads.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:18 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys - entires for the festival are slow..................

I now have to go into ring everyone and chase them mode to enter.

If you are planning on entering, can you enter now please to save me the loss of family time.......
The race series guys have been told that instructions for entry will come out next week. I didn't want to confuse things by entering sprints and classic race cars now and then double up on entry with the series. Will do all this week in one go.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:21 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
The race series guys have been told that instructions for entry will come out next week. I didn't want to confuse things by entering sprints and classic race cars now and then double up on entry with the series. Will do all this week in one go.
Yes this is true, I have been working with Phil for the Pirelli Series.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I might consider a Vinyl wrap tho!

Really liking these. Not brave enough for the bacon but very much like the "Porsche Intelligent Design" one. Only thing is I dont like the attention these draw.
Attached Images    
Old 11-25-2015, 02:08 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mmmm bacon...!
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2015, 04:58 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Mmmm bacon...!
I'm not a fan of pink, but also not a fan of assymetric dress on women or cars so probably prefer the porcine livery actually.

For my part, for the festival, I'll be in for the sprints of course but have been wrestling with overcoming my aversion to regularity trials, so that's been holding me back from entering yet.

I hate driving slowly on purpose but need to find a way to lose 10 seconds a lap or get black flagged. Barring standing water on the circuit that day, or stashing a ton of gold bars under the seats, I'm still trying to work out how to do that. The idea of old, skinny, hard tyres appealed momentarily but the hassle of swapping wheels on the day and the idea that ancient tyres might decide to give up the ghost mid Turn 1 means I'm still wanting some other options.

Rev limiting down the S-F straight as John suggested would work for losing a second or two but I'd have to halve my speed to lose 10 seconds a lap, as well as it being terminally boring for both driver and spectators. Same pretty much goes for a half-power tune.

I presume running with a fitted roof rack and some polystyrene blocks would be frowned upon?

Running some very special lines (virtual chicanes on the grid, or - safer for traffic - the inside edge of T9, the outside edge of T10 etc) might work better?

Actually, the more I think about it, the more the idea of a couple of freer RSG type track demo sessions appeals. That said, there may not be an MSNZ motorsport category for those to fit into on a race day at the festival?
Old 11-25-2015, 05:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
I'm not a fan of pink, but also not a fan of assymetric dress on women or cars so probably prefer the porcine livery actually.

For my part, for the festival, I'll be in for the sprints of course but have been wrestling with overcoming my aversion to regularity trials, so that's been holding me back from entering yet.

I hate driving slowly on purpose but need to find a way to lose 10 seconds a lap or get black flagged. Barring standing water on the circuit that day, or stashing a ton of gold bars under the seats, I'm still trying to work out how to do that. The idea of old, skinny, hard tyres appealed momentarily but the hassle of swapping wheels on the day and the idea that ancient tyres might decide to give up the ghost mid Turn 1 means I'm still wanting some other options.

Rev limiting down the S-F straight as John suggested would work for losing a second or two but I'd have to halve my speed to lose 10 seconds a lap, as well as it being terminally boring for both driver and spectators. Same pretty much goes for a half-power tune.

I presume running with a fitted roof rack and some polystyrene blocks would be frowned upon?

Running some very special lines (virtual chicanes on the grid, or - safer for traffic - the inside edge of T9, the outside edge of T10 etc) might work better?

Actually, the more I think about it, the more the idea of a couple of freer RSG type track demo sessions appeals. That said, there may not be an MSNZ motorsport category for those to fit into on a race day at the festival?
A while back, a girl rang my son and asked if he wanted to go to a movie. He asked her which one. When she replied with "X" he said, "no thanks I don't want to see that" and he hung up. No amount of explaining that it was about spending time together rather than seeing the movie registered with him. His EQ was minimal which is why engineering is his major

I take a different approach here. Do I really want to pay $370 to pootle around HD? No, I don't but I've entered anyway. I'll get a chance to go on the track for three days in a row, shoot the breeze with hopefully a lot of you, see some great cars etc. You get the idea. For me this is a three day Porsche fanboy fest and going on the track is a bonus. Heck, I may even do well. I doubt Paul will given his black flag history and he's the one organising this!

As a final note, if we don't support these events then their future reoccurence becomes less certain.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?