Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 06:21 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geesus
I live in London and JZM are 5 minutes up the road from the studios I work at.

They have lovely stock but I really would like an NZ new car for Auckland. I can't really justify spending the equivalent of $180,000 NZD on a 997 GT3 in the U.K plus the shipping etc to NZ when I relocate back in a year or two.

The last advertised 997 GT3 in New Zealand was January, 19300km, Grey (from memory), in Christchurch. Asking price was $126,000.

Im guessing if any have changed hands recently it would have been for ~ $150,000?
Surely some of you lot that are deep in the scene will know of some that have moved this year?

OK - If you want one - buy mine, silver, kiwi new and 60K on the clock.

Totally original with only a handful of track days.

Make me an offer??
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2015, 06:22 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Right now in terms of bang for buck, multi use (NZ highways & B roads), track compatibility (with some preventative maintenance and light modifications) and durability (engine block design and proven strength) the 996TT is in the perfect "Sweet Spot". I think it still presents the markets best opportunity as a capable do everything car for the $$$.
Just saw your summation after my reply to Phil. We're obviously on the same page. They even don't embarrass themselves too badly (for sports cars) in mudpits, going by the last gymkhana.

Their strength is also their weakness though and consequently they can be a bit boring to drive compared to those others. More responsive alignment and killing PSM (which I believe the GT2/3s don't suffer from) are the cure for that.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:31 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
OK - If you want one - buy mine, silver, kiwi new and 60K on the clock.

Totally origianal with only a handful of track days.

Make me an offer??
Love the stance and purposeful aero of the GT3 Paul. The half-cage just adds to that and could save a life.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:37 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

^^^^ Yeah good photo taken by Jake I think.

I'm really liking this photo too that I found on the net - thinking of copying the stripes.
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2015, 06:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Just saw your summation after my reply to Phil. We're obviously on the same page. They even don't embarrass themselves too badly (for sports cars) in mudpits, going by the last gymkhana.

Their strength is also their weakness though and consequently they can be a bit boring to drive compared to those others. More responsive alignment and killing PSM (which I believe the GT2/3s don't suffer from) are the cure for that.
Re your prior post I would actually say a well maintained MT 996TT on decent road tyres is the better road car over a 996/7 GT3 in NZ. Our B roads (bumpy, narrow, ruts, inconsistent surface condition, frequent ne lane bridges and expansion joints etc) and changeable conditions (rain, damp patches, loose chip debris etc) make an earlier stock GT3 a handful in these conditions and not entirely confidence inspiring. Id therefore conclude the turbo is more "fun" unless slower progress due to skipping, tram-lining and fish tailing near banks is your thing.

However on the track front I think the turbos need a bit of work. They can be as fast or faster than a stock GT3 there is no doubt, but to enable them to consistently pound out 13s at HD means deep pockets for improvements - and then compromises on the road as a result. They will always be too heavy and with 4WD a little bit numb IMO compared to their track focused 2WD siblings. You can run 13s all day in a GT3 without breaking it and it will give more feedback and "fun".

If we are comparing apples with apples then a 996TT and 996 GT3 with light modifications (tyres, geo, pads, fluid) and within the factories original design/build parameters is probably what we are looking at. On NZ roads, touring, DD & B roads as well as Targa Tour duty the turbo has it. On the track the equivalent gen GT3 has it. On the money side the 996TT has it in spades.

Once you start modifying the 996TT to be a better track competitor for the GT3 you take away many f its benefits for other usage. Likewise in reverse for a GT3 (though I dnt see people attempting that - they usually run a GT3 on the road fr a year then make a decision t keep it r sell it if they are not doing track work).

The issue is the price delta. At 20-30K difference if you wanted a track car with road usability there was no question you bought a used GT3. At 50-60K you start to see the 996TT presents better value.

I need to point out however that at 50-80k you could also purchase a 964/993 MT which will give you good coverage of both with more feedback and "fun" at a slower pace. Will never be as accommodating as a turbo on the road nor as quick and exhilarating as a GT3 on the track, but can give a nice balance in the middle.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^^ Yeah good photo taken by Jake I think.

I'm really liking this photo too that I found on the net - thinking of copying the stripes.
Looks great. Do it!
Old 12-09-2015, 07:22 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Bloody double post - (so will include a pic of car with orange stripes I like )
Attached Images  

Last edited by kiwi 911; 12-09-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:28 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

To make the GT3 B road friendly, you need to put JZM's or motions in.

$10K later you have a GT3 faster on the track and more road compliant (i.e. won't kill you on B Road)

I was planning to go visit the guy who purchased the white 6.2 GT3 targa car. Surely that has to be friendly on B Roads otherwise owner would be dead??
Old 12-09-2015, 07:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

$10K later you have a GT3 faster on the track and more road compliant (i.e. won't kill you on B Road)

I was planning to go visit the guy who purchased the white 6.2 GT3 targa car. Surely that has to be friendly on B Roads otherwise owner would be dead??
Friendly and competitive are two different things!

My 993 is only on coilovers but it is very effective on back roads. Quicker on tighter roads than my GT3. It behaves well without skipping, hoping or bottoming out, but Im not sure everyone will agree its friendly.

Motons will help the ride of virtually any Porsche on road or on track. Assumes you have plenty of time and experience to set these up for each as they have both rebound and compression settings and much more adjust-ability).

Sway bar settings will also have an affect.

But I was comparing apples with apples.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:00 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Agreed, JZM's or Motons if you're looking to enhance track performance at the same time as roadability and are keen to adjust them a fair bit. If willing to stay at or near track performance but improve road composure, particularly if just wanting to 'set it and forget it' then Ohlins Road and Track are reputedly worth a look at about half the cost.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

996tt's may not be "chuckable" but it makes me smile like a kid on Christmas when you hit the pedal.

Been considering some bigger wheels for the road, I think the oz ultraleggera keep the right look for a Turbo, sophisticated and not too racey.
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2015, 08:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pel. You keeping her? It looks so good in white...
Old 12-09-2015, 08:20 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Friendly and competitive are two different things!

My 993 is only on coilovers but it is very effective on back roads. Quicker on tighter roads than my GT3. It behaves well without skipping, hoping or bottoming out, but Im not sure everyone will agree its friendly.

Motons will help the ride of virtually any Porsche on road or on track. Assumes you have plenty of time and experience to set these up for each as they have both rebound and compression settings and much more adjust-ability).

Sway bar settings will also have an affect.

But I was comparing apples with apples.
No - I don't have the time, but like you my mechanic does.

Maybe even PSS10's would be an interesting experiment.

Something to look at next year depending on how work goes.......
Old 12-09-2015, 08:30 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pel
996tt's may not be "chuckable" but it makes me smile like a kid on Christmas when you hit the pedal.

Been considering some bigger wheels for the road, I think the oz ultraleggera keep the right look for a Turbo, sophisticated and not too racey.
Believe they look good (though I reckon the original Turbo II's are hard to go past for looks). In 18s the Ultraleggeras are actually well suited to track too as they are light, properly forged for strength, and will clear big brake kits IIRC.

On that front, maybe we're all still relying on the same early magazine test, but accepted wisdom is that 996Ts handle best on 18s rather than anything bigger.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Dave's handiwork (I know he won't blow his own trumpet). I'm really liking the bead blast finish. Germanic understatement.
Attached Images   

Last edited by John McM; 12-09-2015 at 09:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?