Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 11:05 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_chch
Question for the brains trust...

If I was to offer my SC up for sale, what are peoples thoughts on the best way to "market" it?

I'm still undecided if/when I will put it up for sale, but want to prepare the car properly. The general consensus seems to be to leave the paint as is, make sure its original as possible, and try not to let the tire kickers wear me down? I'd love to keep it off trademe but that's not always an option which is understandable.

Also if anyone has any real world guess at the value of a 1980 RoW SC with 40,000
k's on a top end I'd love to hear your thoughts. I know prices are very subjective, and what I've seen recently just makes me laugh... The car runs like a top. Only has maintenance records from my ownership, and a hand written receipt for the top end, provided by previous owner.
Interior looks great, with re-trimmed seats. Exterior has had a poor respray in the past. Looks great from 10 feet. Looks poor at 2 feet.

My biggest fear is running a trademe ad, that gets lots of interest and bids, but the sale doesn't go through at the end. This never ends well.... If that happened I would probably be forced to keep the car indefinitely haha!

Any thoughts appreciated. Either on here, or by PM

Chris
Hi Chris,
That's an interesting question and one which has terrified me on past sales of my 911's. If it hangs on TM for a while it is pretty much doomed. So the answer is to price it right, but what is fair? Who knows - Mid to late $30's someone will take your hand off, $40k should maintain a bit of interest. $50k will be seen as optimistic subject to understanding true condition and anything above that will be up for crucifixion by said pack described below.

What I do know as a non Facebook user but having the ability to look at various groups on there is that the local Porsche experts are brutal. Seems to be some kind of wolf pack when a car is offered and is overpriced or not as it appears. Unless of course its theirs then the mutual adulation kicks in. Happy to say though that some who frequent this board are voices of reason and put some perspective on it. I guess you could say that FB and the discussions on there are just self policing of values where the dogs and dreamers are exposed. All very interesting.
I think you posting about pending sale here has got the ball rolling anyway and something might come of that. That's how I nabbed my SC for an OK price via Warwick knowing someone who had one for sale.
How about some photo's?
Old 11-29-2015, 11:07 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Looked into Girodisc floating rotors for my car - wow, didn't know relatively standard steel rotors could cost that much! Roughly $5000 to buy locally, maybe $3600 imported ($1500 for OEM). Second round is 'only' $2600, as hats are reusable, and rotors apparently last 2.5 times longer than OEM. They're much less prone to cracking somehow...
WOW that's crazy
Old 11-29-2015, 11:15 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Entries for the 2016 Porsche Festival continue to be slow guys.

I currently have 2 entries for the dual car sprints and 6 for the Porsche Regularity Trials - these road car based events are going to be cancelled unless I can drastically improve numbers over the next 2 days.

If you are planning to enter - NOW IS THE TIME, before these events are cancelled.

A summary of the events can be found on the PCNZ site under the Festival Tab:

http://www.porsche.org.nz/PorscheClu...257E4E0032EF67

You enter here:

http://www.motorsportentry.com/
I'm listening.

Upside;
Not a lot of track time so less consumables used than perhaps on an RSG day (offsets rip off entry fee).
Wheeling out a fine piece of Porsche history - a 911 T !
The occasion of course.

Downside;
Not as much track time as an RSG day
Nearly four hundy for not much track time

I'm 50/50
Old 11-29-2015, 11:23 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feed back Maxim.

You've pretty much nailed my fears in one! I'm also not on facebook, but I hear whispers of the discussions that are had. Some constructive.. many aren't. That's why I thought this would be a more realistic place to ask.

As it stands, I'd let the car go for $40k. It presents quite well, apart from the poor re-spray. But at least you don't have to worry about stone chips! I'll take some photos after work. Won't be studio pics, but will be honest!

That is... as long as no one minds me posting them! Don't want to turn this into a for sale thread.... I can PM pics if that's the preferred method.

Back to your usual program

Originally Posted by Maxem
Hi Chris,
That's an interesting question and one which has terrified me on past sales of my 911's. If it hangs on TM for a while it is pretty much doomed. So the answer is to price it right, but what is fair? Who knows - Mid to late $30's someone will take your hand off, $40k should maintain a bit of interest. $50k will be seen as optimistic subject to understanding true condition and anything above that will be up for crucifixion by said pack described below.

What I do know as a non Facebook user but having the ability to look at various groups on there is that the local Porsche experts are brutal. Seems to be some kind of wolf pack when a car is offered and is overpriced or not as it appears. Unless of course its theirs then the mutual adulation kicks in. Happy to say though that some who frequent this board are voices of reason and put some perspective on it. I guess you could say that FB and the discussions on there are just self policing of values where the dogs and dreamers are exposed. All very interesting.
I think you posting about pending sale here has got the ball rolling anyway and something might come of that. That's how I nabbed my SC for an OK price via Warwick knowing someone who had one for sale.
How about some photo's?
Old 11-29-2015, 11:31 PM
Maxem
Drifting

hey macca,

If you clicked J1NX3D's link, you would have seen this pic. The 993 with its fancy pants multi linked Weissach whatever rear end can't take a corner properly......
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2015, 11:32 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Not Porsche, but good nonetheless

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/emb...4n0UT82o?rel=0
Old 11-29-2015, 11:35 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm listening.

Upside;
Not a lot of track time so less consumables used than perhaps on an RSG day (offsets rip off entry fee).
Wheeling out a fine piece of Porsche history - a 911 T !
The occasion of course.

Downside;
Not as much track time as an RSG day
Nearly four hundy for not much track time

I'm 50/50
OK, at that price you'd almost be expecting your own pit girls (or at least umbrella girls for those of us in the cheap seats) but I'm of John's view that it's about being part of a special one-off occasion as much as anything. A celebration of Porsche and Porsche Motorsport following hot on the heels of them having underlined their credentials again. More action and eye candy than you could shake a stick at, and I believe entry includes some extra spectator tickets too. The tangerine dream ought to be part of that I reckon.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:37 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris,

Further to Dave's comments, you need to decide whether you are pricing to sell the car within a day or fishing for top dollar. Neither strategy is wrong.

Whether it be a car, house or anything else, I always price to sell immediately. I have found the first real offer is often the best offer as you need to wait for new buyers to enter the market once the existing ones have passed it by. This can take months.

I am a firm believer in ‘fresh meat’ and when something sits for too long people start questioning it for maybe no logical reason.

The downside with my strategy is you leave some money on the table, but then I can’t stomach dealing with wanna’s, gonna’s and people who need their wife’s permission to buy something. To me this pain has a value.

You need to realise there are a LOT of day dreamers out there and the kiwi mentality of wanting a bargain, but the car then being worth top UK prices once they have purchased it. You can’t stop this – it’s a cultural flaw……….

I agree TM with good photos and a fair price is probably the best strategy. Get a PPI too from a Porsche mechanic like Wayne as most will want this and it all saves time.

Just my 10c.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

hey macca,

If you clicked J1NX3D's link, you would have seen this pic. The 993 with its fancy pants multi linked Weissach whatever rear end can't take a corner properly......
Looks like the 993 went around the corner just fine to me Dave.

Passed an old blue IB car with dodgy interior aesthetic and aging swing arm rear that was having trouble getting the power down :-)

Im not a FBer but have also heard the stories. We all welcome your pictures here Chris.

Jake. Dont spend $5000 on discs (that's the price of OEM front and rear for my GT3!!). Or even $3500. Just buy the EM originals. You only buy those girodiscs if you are turning your car into a dedicated track rat. Personally Id try and keep it original. The slotted rotors last longer because the cast hole rotors can crack quicker. The holes look better half the reason why Porsche make them for the car I suspect. I think 2.5x is a bit generous. Probably last more like 1.5-2.0x longer if looked after. Still good value but you need to be doing 10-20 days a year to make it pay during and average tenure IMO.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Well said Buba. I agree. Absolutely no pint sitting on stuff for months waiting for the "wood duck" to arrive. Life is short. Carpe Diem.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:16 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Looks like the 993 went around the corner just fine to me Dave.

Passed an old blue IB car with dodgy interior aesthetic and aging swing arm rear that was having trouble getting the power down :-)

All this 993 bashing Macca??

I must admit - nothing air-cooled goes around a corner like a 993, they can be made into a very good handling car.

Here's some 993 love for ya mate.........
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2015, 01:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks mate :-). Dirty siblings at a Southern Race track. Doesn't get better than that. Dave. You simply must do a SITT in the orange T one day....
Old 11-30-2015, 01:37 AM
Maxem
Drifting

I'd love to. Combo of time and money, neither of which comes easy.
Having sat in the T for 1:45 on Sunday morning on the way to Pirongia, it was a combination of fun and pain. That said, Dan will give me a lesson on shock adjustment to make it a bit softer, plus some 195-65 baloons for road driving will help
Old 11-30-2015, 01:41 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

I'd love to. Combo of time and money, neither of which comes easy. Having sat in the T for 1:45 on Sunday morning on the way to Pirongia, it was a combination of fun and pain. That said, Dan will give me a lesson on shock adjustment to make it a bit softer, plus some 195-65 baloons for road driving will help
Following you on the Motorway down there I could see the rear window reflection suggesting you were getting shaken up.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I'd love to. Combo of time and money, neither of which comes easy.
Having sat in the T for 1:45 on Sunday morning on the way to Pirongia, it was a combination of fun and pain. That said, Dan will give me a lesson on shock adjustment to make it a bit softer, plus some 195-65 baloons for road driving will help
We did over 5000km in 14 days much of it two up with 50kg gear. Ive never felt the 993 was too compromised for the road till the end of that trip! Tyre sidewall, chairs and sound deadening make a huge difference to travel quality in these cars. The first two you can change with a spanner. But Im glad I left the last one intact. There is some great modern insulation matting available these days, light and effective. I spoke with the owner of Hamiltons in Australia when at the Rennsport reunion there in 2013 while looking at one of his "modern recreations". He gave a few tips. Use it on all the flat steel surface areas as they act like a "drum" in amplifying the road noise...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?