Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Pel, you and Dave definitely taking it to the extreme as far as tyre age is concerned. Mine are 1.5 years/18k km/5 track days old and I was feeling bad for still running them. Main concern is grip with relatively young tyres - they go off much quicker than the first couple of days - but they're relatively consistent now.
Put it in perspective I guess and look at the intended use. The SC is a temporary garage installation (maybe not now) and a reluctant track warrior once and at the very last minute twice for lack of a finished 911T, so for kicking around the bays the SC tyres are just fine. It simply doesn't need a program of fresh rubber. The T is more serious and the intention is to push hard on road track, hence the fresh rubber.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Dave is more Dutch than Scottish...same stereotypical attitude to spending money though.
Oh I don't know about that, The T might or might not be leading Herman in the spending stakes....
Old 12-01-2015, 01:42 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Oh I don't know about that, The T might or might not be leading Herman in the spending stakes....
I suspect Herman has that dubious honour, although the spending is slowing now, whereas I imagine you have to keep the wallet open longer as the interior build continues.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:54 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911wings
Question for all NZ folks. I am coming to visit in February to the North Island. I would appreciate any ideas for things to do and see. Planning a bit of a fishing trip, will not be bringing my 964. Forgive my ignorance but are there any tracks I should go see?
The Hi Lands track in Cromwell has a museum and probably the prettiest one to see. It's a day trip out of Queenstown.

If you can give us an idea of your itinerary (location and dates), there may be some events you can attend - like the Ellersile Concours in Auckland on 14 Feb. You will see over a 100 local cars and some Porsche Museum ones too.

Lots of good fishing in NZ - the best fishing is north of Auckland.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:02 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911wings
Question for all NZ folks. I am coming to visit in February to the North Island. I would appreciate any ideas for things to do and see. Planning a bit of a fishing trip, will not be bringing my 964. Forgive my ignorance but are there any tracks I should go see?
For game fishing head north, Bay of Islands, Tutakaka, Whangaroa - plenty of options for charter. There are a few keen fishermen on the forum who will no doubt chime in with more detail there.

Depends on your other interests but sticking to the upper North Island, if you're in to wine then Waiheke island 45 min cruise from Auckland is worth a day trip and a long lunch at one of the vineyards.

Further south, Rotorua/Taupo have plenty of thermal activity - geysers, mud pools etc and great mountain bike trails as well. Trout fishing on lake Taupo is a good combo down there. A little bit further south and if you like hiking then you can climb Mt Ruapehu/Ngaruahoe/Tongariro - pretty epic volcanic scenery - remember Mt Doom from Lord of the Rings?

So far as tracks go there will be a bunch of us at Hampton Downs on Mon 8 Feb for a track day (45 min south of Akl). Usually a few 964s there and I'm guessing JMac's big track reveal may defer to that date! The Porsche race series is at Manfield on 20/21 Feb but that's pretty much in the middle of nowhere - fine if you're driving but not really a tourist destination!

If you've got any particular interests then let us know - plenty of folks here to help out.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
So far as tracks go there will be a bunch of us at Hampton Downs on Mon 8 Feb for a track day (45 min south of Akl). Usually a few 964s there and I'm guessing JMac's big track reveal may defer to that date! The Porsche race series is at Manfield on 20/21 Feb but that's pretty much in the middle of nowhere - fine if you're driving but not really a tourist destination!
Trundle could no doubt help if Trout fishing is the goal.

As for the big reveal. I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll have a running car by the end of next week. It's dependent on a few things but the engine and box are almost ready for fitting. Just need a body to fit them to.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great news John. A good project to keep you busy over Xmas. You are still signed up for 11 Jan which would be a great opportunity to shake her down on track before the Festival. Look forward to seeing her out there!
Old 12-01-2015, 04:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Great news John. A good project to keep you busy over Xmas. You are still signed up for 11 Jan which would be a great opportunity to shake her down on track before the Festival. Look forward to seeing her out there!
I fully intend to use it for that purpose. I've touched a lot of different systems in this refurb so spanner checks, fluid leak checks etc will be necessary before I have the confidence to tip into turn one at full tilt. Hope for the best but plan for something else.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:55 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking forward to the engine reinstallation - and reverse engineering the multi jack and axe solution! Let me know when its happening - wouldn't miss it.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:58 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a note to any Team RSG 2KCup racers who may not have picked up on my post over there - John is dedicating himself to Herman instead now and I realise most of us will be at the HD RSG Track day on the 12th but is anyone else looking to drive the Pukekohe race that day?
Old 12-01-2015, 05:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I'm looking forward to the engine reinstallation - and reverse engineering the multi jack and axe solution! Let me know when its happening - wouldn't miss it.
You would have loved the transmission install. Many thousands of $ of gearbox balanced on the AC Jack while trying to get it aligned in all axis and 'mated' with the engine, helped only by a 19-year old desperate to get back to his gaming. Like all of these things I could do it in less than half the time if doing it again.

I suspect the engine/box to body install will benefit from the same lessons learned approach. We know exactly how to get the body high enough. John K will possibly help as well. But all helpers / visitors welcome. Even if people want to gander at the engine / box while it's out, that's fine with me. Probably one thing we learned last time is that past a certain number the decision making is less effective. I may well let John lead as he's done it before.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Just a note to any Team RSG 2KCup racers who may not have picked up on my post over there - John is dedicating himself to Herman instead now and I realise most of us will be at the HD RSG Track day on the 12th but is anyone else looking to drive the Pukekohe race that day?
Correct, too much going on to race on the 12th. It sounds like it might be you and Neil. Maybe Neil could take BB2 from my place?
Old 12-01-2015, 05:33 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
I still want a set of Z221's but as i've had a set back on a second set of wheels whats the view on running the Hankooks as a do-it-all? My only fear is wet weather performance. Are there other tires that give good track performance which can also be used if caught in Auckland weather?
What was the set back?
Old 12-01-2015, 05:59 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John McM
You would have loved the transmission install. Many thousands of $ of gearbox balanced on the AC Jack while trying to get it aligned in all axis and 'mated' with the engine, helped only by a 19-year old desperate to get back to his gaming. Like all of these things I could do it in less than half the time if doing it again.

I suspect the engine/box to body install will benefit from the same lessons learned approach. We know exactly how to get the body high enough. John K will possibly help as well. But all helpers / visitors welcome. Even if people want to gander at the engine / box while it's out, that's fine with me. Probably one thing we learned last time is that past a certain number the decision making is less effective. I may well let John lead as he's done it before.
The amount of car work that I have done that I could do much faster the second time around! I've even done my fair share of jobs on all 4 corners that got faster each time I did it. You'd think mechanics could do things lightening fast with all that experience.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:12 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
The amount of car work that I have done that I could do much faster the second time around! I've even done my fair share of jobs on all 4 corners that got faster each time I did it. You'd think mechanics could do things lightening fast with all that experience.
Same here, even for simple jobs like pad changes or removing and refitting trim, the wing, or an ignition switch.

I suspect most experienced mechanics routinely knock jobs off in a third to a half of 'book time' without breaking a sweat. Where the book time system makes up for itself though is where unexpected related complications or rework arises, as we're still normally only be charged the standard book rate for the work. Have been on both the winning and losing side of it, but it's only when I'm paying book rates and not getting book attention to detail that I question it.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?