Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 08:52 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. Give us an update on your car. Is it back on thee road now?

John. Any news on whether yours will be ready for 9th?
Very unlikely. It appears that engine gaskets etc took a while to arrive. I will go in tomorrow to have a look at progress. I will attend the Gymkhana on the 8th in the Turbo 3.6. My next track say is the 29th at the PCNZ day. Hopefully it will be the shakedown day for the 964. I have the gear to go with it now, which perversely is not required for the Gymkhana.
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2013, 08:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Matt, what do you mean by splitter. I have a spare lower plastic spoiler for my 996 Turbo. This is the sacrificial part. I replaced mine with one from a C4S as I was hitting the entry to my driveway.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. Very Suave. I guess it might not be worth a couple of seconds at HD but it sure will feel faster than driving in painting overalls!

Matt. Thanks for the pics and update. Isnt it typical that you can survive a track day unscathed but have more damage done on NZ main roads! I dont think Johns splitter will be the same part number as your require. I like many 996 GT3 owners ended up removing mine permanently and passed it on when the car was sold. They are a consumer able and really not needed.

You have been very quiet on how the GT3 performed on the day. Im guessing there's a little set up to be done and we can get a full review of the car compared to the outgoing 964 C2 once you have done a HD Playday?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The suit is big enough to fit over normal clothes and has arms and legs long enough to be very comfortable. It's also very warm. The bigger revelation is the shoes. Far easier foot work with a narrow solid shoe and rounded heel.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Matt, just on the splitter costs. They are markedly cheaper overseas but the freight is a killer.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
The suit is big enough to fit over normal clothes and has arms and legs long enough to be very comfortable. It's also very warm. The bigger revelation is the shoes. Far easier foot work with a narrow solid shoe and rounded heel.
John. We hereby gift you your Rennsport Gruppe track name "Happy Feet".

Everyone will get a "track name". It will just take a bit longer to invent names for the others LOL!
Old 06-03-2013, 10:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

It could be worse so I'll accept that before anyone else chimes in.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:08 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd prefer to buy locally so I can replace the splitter before the next track outing on the 9th. It's not an essential item on the road, but on the track it's important to have in place given the other aero mods on the car. I think I'll order a GT3 Cup splitter from Carnewal and swap that on when it arrives, keeping the replacement stock one as an emergency spare.

As far as how the car went, the short version is: it went bloody well, no problems at all with the car. I find centering the shifter for 3rd/4th very vague in the GT3, something addressable down the line. With the cup R&P I was just hitting 5th at the end of the straight (around 230kph indicated, need to check if the speedo has been adjusted for the altered final drive ratio!). With more confidence I could probably carry a lot more speed into the first corner after the straight. The power, precision, and feedback are on a different level compared to my previous cars. Heel-toe with the excellent pedal positioning and LWFW is easier than I've experienced before. It was barely 10 degrees all day, so I struggled to get enough warmth in the tyres to get decent grip (they were barely 20 degrees after stopping in the pits)... quite a big difference from previous track days where my tyres were melting after 3 decent laps.

Not enough time or experience to get a feel for setup issues, I suspect it's pretty much right as it is but eyeballing the right front wheel (and the top of the strut) suggests it doesn't have the same negative camber as the left, suggesting a bump moving the top of the strut perhaps. I'll get Peter Alder to check that once I find his contact details again. I don't know what the history of the front tyres are (in terms of number of heat cycles), all of the current tyres were manufactured in 2007 so they're getting on a bit. I doubt I was driving at more than 6/10ths of the car's limits most of the time; I also had a passenger for day who was slightly nervous so tried not to push too hard... had a couple of tail out moments but nothing where the car was really out of control. The prestige group was fairly small, but had a number of first timers and people in big power cars (665hp!) that wouldn't let you past despite being me much faster through corners, so it was hard to get a lot of clean laps.

The weather for the 9th looks good so far, looking forward to trying the car on a track I'm more familiar with. I've only driven Taupo a handful of times, never more than twice in the same car, and often changing between the full layout and the shortened layout, so it took a bit of time to remember the lines. One observation was that this car is far more sensitive to uneven parts of the track than my previous cars, so that adds a new element to planning placement on the track and braking points.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
It could be worse so I'll accept that before anyone else chimes in.
Good idea John. Could have been worse as you say LOL!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Matt, I see you took the C2 to last year's Gymkhana. Any tips?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
I'd prefer to buy locally so I can replace the splitter before the next track outing on the 9th. It's not an essential item on the road, but on the track it's important to have in place given the other aero mods on the car. I think I'll order a GT3 Cup splitter from Carnewal and swap that on when it arrives, keeping the replacement stock one as an emergency spare.

As far as how the car went, the short version is: it went bloody well, no problems at all with the car. I find centering the shifter for 3rd/4th very vague in the GT3, something addressable down the line. With the cup R&P I was just hitting 5th at the end of the straight (around 230kph indicated, need to check if the speedo has been adjusted for the altered final drive ratio!). With more confidence I could probably carry a lot more speed into the first corner after the straight. The power, precision, and feedback are on a different level compared to my previous cars. Heel-toe with the excellent pedal positioning and LWFW is easier than I've experienced before. It was barely 10 degrees all day, so I struggled to get enough warmth in the tyres to get decent grip (they were barely 20 degrees after stopping in the pits)... quite a big difference from previous track days where my tyres were melting after 3 decent laps.

Not enough time or experience to get a feel for setup issues, I suspect it's pretty much right as it is but eyeballing the right front wheel (and the top of the strut) suggests it doesn't have the same negative camber as the left, suggesting a bump moving the top of the strut perhaps. I'll get Peter Alder to check that once I find his contact details again. I don't know what the history of the front tyres are (in terms of number of heat cycles), all of the current tyres were manufactured in 2007 so they're getting on a bit. I doubt I was driving at more than 6/10ths of the car's limits most of the time; I also had a passenger for day who was slightly nervous so tried not to push too hard... had a couple of tail out moments but nothing where the car was really out of control. The prestige group was fairly small, but had a number of first timers and people in big power cars (665hp!) that wouldn't let you past despite being me much faster through corners, so it was hard to get a lot of clean laps.

The weather for the 9th looks good so far, looking forward to trying the car on a track I'm more familiar with. I've only driven Taupo a handful of times, never more than twice in the same car, and often changing between the full layout and the shortened layout, so it took a bit of time to remember the lines. One observation was that this car is far more sensitive to uneven parts of the track than my previous cars, so that adds a new element to planning placement on the track and braking points.
Matt. Sounds like you had a good inaugural track session. Taking it a bit easy first time is sensible. You know that track better than most of us so we will be be sending you out in front on the NI Track Tour!

The front wheel camber issue is possibly the top adjustable camber plate having moved. This can be a common issue. I know Rennline supply a front strut brace which prevents this movement which I have recently ordered. may be worth looking into....
Attached Images     
Old 06-03-2013, 11:46 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

John, nice suit, no blood group embroidered on by the name to show serious intent?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:49 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I came either dead last or second to last, so the best advice would be to ignore me.

I struggled with remembering some of the course layouts, and ended up scoring a DNF on one because I went round the wrong way on both attempts... that's why I ended up at the bottom of the results table. Spending more time memorizing layouts and less time chatting to others would've helped with that.

Other than that, very light on the throttle (and all inputs) and get into second as quickly as you can. I found the 964 was basically impossible to recover once it started to get unstuck on the wet courses. I'm curious to see how the GT3 will compare in that situation.

Make sure your tyre pressures are right, and remember that they won't warm up appreciably from cold so you'll want your cold temps to be set to whatever you'd usually target. This type of driving is all about quick transitions and fairly low speeds, so you'll want higher than normal tyre pressures.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
John, nice suit, no blood group embroidered on by the name to show serious intent?

John. I'm not expert. Beginners luck = I won my Porsche Parade Gymkhana (and first ever Gymkhana). Against Clive Pilkington the reining PCNZ Gymkhana King I might add (he was not happy!).

I didnt find it difficult but when reviewing footage my wife took from the session and looking at others I could get a few pointers.
  • Firstly, smoothly wins.
  • No sudden steering inputs, focus on the cones 2-3 ahead not the one you are immediately driving towards. You are "driving through" the ones immediately ahead to the point of your focus. Keep moving the point of focus etc
  • Dont drop the clutch from the start line.
  • Importantly (and something I observed I could have done earlier for better times) is get into 2nd gear as soon as you can as not to upset the car during manouvours. With the turbo this should be easier than the NA cars as you can ride the torque.
  • Get into a ryhtme as soon as you can it will make keeping the car stable much easier.
  • Keeping the four wheels loaded without sudden unloading is important in a 2WD car (once you get this makes track and street driving much easier too).
  • Dont forget to clutch in and break hard for the "garage" at the end!

Good luck!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:55 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
I think I came either dead last or second to last, so the best advice would be to ignore me.

I struggled with remembering some of the course layouts, and ended up scoring a DNF on one because I went round the wrong way on both attempts... that's why I ended up at the bottom of the results table. Spending more time memorizing layouts and less time chatting to others would've helped with that.

Other than that, very light on the throttle (and all inputs) and get into second as quickly as you can. I found the 964 was basically impossible to recover once it started to get unstuck on the wet courses. I'm curious to see how the GT3 will compare in that situation.

Make sure your tyre pressures are right, and remember that they won't warm up appreciably from cold so you'll want your cold temps to be set to whatever you'd usually target. This type of driving is all about quick transitions and fairly low speeds, so you'll want higher than normal tyre pressures.
So my C2 on steroids with 360hp is going to be even more challenging I do have a LSD. Guess I'll put a lot of effort into memorizing the course.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?