Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 06:05 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, very happy with the Turbo . Not sure of times though, I have all the data logging in the 944, but wasn't timing myself in the Turbo. Matt said he was doing 1.19's and we were close, although he was slightly quicker than me at the end, so probably around 1.20.

It was first time out in the car and with road tyres and brakes, so happy with the first outing, but more to come. It is my daily drive car though, so won't be getting thrashed like the 944!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:37 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah I'm still sorting out the brakes in the S. Took EBC yellows out of the front that had cratered in the middle with still half the pad left and put Pagid blue 4-2 in for Taupo and HD and left the yellowstuff in the back - which now look like they've stuffed the rear rotors (pad cratered in the middle as well) and I'll have to skim em if there's anything left. So EBC not happy..
Old 06-16-2013, 08:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im curious as to what those on here have found necessitates a change form stock pads to "race pads"?

I didnt seem to find any issues with my brakes at all on the 29th. I just have the standard Porsche pads. Paul may be able to qualify as he drove the car shortly after it returned from a session I did with Ray. Granted my best time of the day was a modest 1.22 (with little consistency) and Pauls was 1.20 (consistent) on street tyres and pads. Maybe now with the 221s and a better set of geo it may fall into the 1.19s but Im not thinking that will create any immediate/additional braking challenges.

Is it longevity or reduction of fade or just brake feel that necessitates the change to race pads? Maybe this is something that you need as you get better?

I have fully ventilated the front discs with a brake cooling kit and run without brake backing plates front and rear. The rotors are with the holes (factory rotors) but otherwise everything is standard (braided lines aside).
Old 06-16-2013, 05:18 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Im curious as to what those on here have found necessitates a change form stock pads to "race pads"?

I didnt seem to find any issues with my brakes at all on the 29th. I just have the standard Porsche pads. Paul may be able to qualify as he drove the car shortly after it returned from a session I did with Ray. Granted my best time of the day was a modest 1.22 (with little consistency) and Pauls was 1.20 (consistent) on street tyres and pads. Maybe now with the 221s and a better set of geo it may fall into the 1.19s but Im not thinking that will create any immediate/additional braking challenges.

Is it longevity or reduction of fade or just brake feel that necessitates the change to race pads? Maybe this is something that you need as you get better?

I have fully ventilated the front discs with a brake cooling kit and run without brake backing plates front and rear. The rotors are with the holes (factory rotors) but otherwise everything is standard (braided lines aside).
Macca, your 'weakest link' on that day was your road tires. The brakes weren't being given a hard time due to the limits of your tires. Once you get track tires on, your weakest link will change to something else, and you may notice after several hard laps brake fade.

Macca - from memory, you have red calipers, have you just painted the original calipers or changed them?
Old 06-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Paul. Good point about the weakest link continually moving. The biggest weakest link is of course me!

I suspect you are correct when I get the 221s on the brakes may suffer more. Hopefully though Ill be 120kg lighter as I wont have a passenger and will remember to take the tool kit, pump and stuff out of the trunk this time.

My brakes are the standard ones but painted red. Not the big reds (yet).

Im keen to try the 221s but suspect Sept 7th track temperature and conditions will be a far cry from 29 March!
Old 06-16-2013, 05:35 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

221's will make a massive difference..............you will be a weapon on these and hunting Matt.

I personally run endurance pads on my car (yellows), they are a club sport spec pad and have never squealed. I also get a season out of them being enduro's.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:36 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

The biggest weakest link is of course me
Macca - you are the weakest link, good bye..........

(cheesy - but couldn't resist!)
Old 06-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
221's will make a massive difference..............you will be a weapon on these and hunting Matt.

I personally run endurance pads on my car (yellows), they are a club sport spec pad and have never squealed. I also get a season out of them being enduro's.
Paul, I doubt Ill be even seeing Matt on the average lap (unless he laps me LOL!).

Im a long way from causing anyone a challenge with only one track day under my belt and will use the 7th to simply re aquaint myself with driving a RHD car at over 50km on a sealed surface in a manual car so close to the ground. In all seriousness Ill be taking it very easy on the 7th getting used to new tyres and trying not to break the car.

Back to the pads, is it durability/longevity or reduction in fade/increase in brake force/performance thats driving the majority on here with 964s or similar to move to track pads. Im sure Ill be up for new pads soon and was pondering the next move. the only thing is I wouldnt want anything too aggressive that causes lots of squealing around town (I already have a socially unacceptably loud car afterall!).
Old 06-16-2013, 07:41 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Speaking for myself, the issue with the standard pads has been the deposits on the rotors which caused really bad shudder. Putting a used set of pagid blacks on seemed to clean them up relatively quickly. Should have the Endless pads on next week in time for the PCNZ DE. Paul's right about the limiting factor shifting. After putting sensible tyres on, suspension tweaks, SRF brake fluid with standard pads the limitation is now the driver. I had very little fade and full confidence under braking (at my restricted skill level) - the only problem with the pads was the deposit transfer. Were it not for that, for dual use driving I would not have felt the need for change until my driving got better.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:36 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

anyone found it hard to get onto the SI Tour new site? just found it didn't recognize me and couldn't reregister
Old 06-16-2013, 09:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Speaking for myself, the issue with the standard pads has been the deposits on the rotors which caused really bad shudder. Putting a used set of pagid blacks on seemed to clean them up relatively quickly. Should have the Endless pads on next week in time for the PCNZ DE. Paul's right about the limiting factor shifting. After putting sensible tyres on, suspension tweaks, SRF brake fluid with standard pads the limitation is now the driver. I had very little fade and full confidence under braking (at my restricted skill level) - the only problem with the pads was the deposit transfer. Were it not for that, for dual use driving I would not have felt the need for change until my driving got better.
Thanks Pete. That was useful feedback. Given Im not experiencing those issues and Im no Driving God Ill remain with my stock pads and worry about things later when Im less of a "weakest link" LOL!

Graeme. I can get on the site but it looks like at this stage our avatars have been dropped....
Old 06-16-2013, 09:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

I ordered 30 Banners to take account of late comers.

The combinations are:

11 Red font & white background = 1 spare

Steve 2
Dave 1
Peter 2
John 2
Matt 2
Chris 1

5 White font and red background = 1 spare
Steve 1
Dave 1
Macca 2

11 Red font and black background = all gone
Steve 2
Dave 1
Jamie 2
Michael 2
Doug 2
Chris 1
Paul 1

1 Black Font White Background = all gone
Steve 1

2 White Font Black Background = all gone
Steve 1
Jason 1

Rest assured, it's just an out of focus photo. The banners are sharp.

Fitting should be similar to my decal posting https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...referrerid=313
Attached Images  

Last edited by John McM; 06-16-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:28 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Back to the pads, is it durability/longevity or reduction in fade/increase in brake force/performance thats driving the majority on here with 964s or similar to move to track pads. .
Pads alone won't increase bite or stopping power.

Brake fade occurs when the pads, disks and brake fluid heat up.

A brake upgrade is providing cooling or greater disk mass to better dissipate heat (this is my understanding anyway).

So bigger calipers or pads on the same calipers isn't a brake upgrade as you cook the same size disk. Any serious brake upgrade will involve bigger disks.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:33 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
anyone found it hard to get onto the SI Tour new site? just found it didn't recognize me and couldn't reregister
The domain has been moved to rennsportgruppe.org.nz - I just logged in with same login and password as before, no issues. Not sure if you had reset your password? Best e-mail Steve R directly and they'll sort out access for you directly.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:50 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
The domain has been moved to rennsportgruppe.org.nz - I just logged in with same login and password as before, no issues. Not sure if you had reset your password? Best e-mail Steve R directly and they'll sort out access for you directly.
When I cut and paste rennsportgruppe.org.nz into my address box, nothing comes up??

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?