Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015 | 06:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Great day at track today. I was the only aircooled there. John, am I too late for a banner? Blue writing on black (or would black on blue look better)? Also I have some polished 964 exhaust heat shields I can donate if they hold any interest?
Not too late. From experience the text should be in the car colour and the background in black or red.

Btw which shields are you talking about? The fibre plastic ones with the silver coating? All of my stuff was/is in good condition.
Old 10-14-2015 | 06:47 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

The steel ones under the exhaust.
Ok, blue on black Pse.
Old 10-14-2015 | 06:49 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The steel ones under the exhaust. Ok, blue on black Pse.
Done for the banner and if you're giving away old parts I'll take them.
Old 10-14-2015 | 06:54 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Just working through the parts list and costs eek

This is what Herman is getting

Replace control arm bushes
Replace rear spring plates
Replace all spark plugs
Replace oil
Replace distributor caps and rotors
Replace alternator fan
Replace Rear Main seal
Place sleeve on nose bearing
Replace rear reflector
Replace lenses on rear indicators
Replace side indicator plastics
Replace rear licence light fittings
Repair cracks in rear bumper, shark fin, and side sill plastics
Replace CV boot and regrease CV joint
Replace two hard clutch lines
Fit speed bleeders to clutch slave cylinder and diff locks
Replace all body seals except window seals
Replace felt window scrapers
Replace all black door and window trim
Replace front portion of carpet
Repair cracks in door pocket screw areas
Replace inner door handles
Replace door sill covers and carpet trim trip
Replace Porsche bonnet emblem
Adjust valve clearance
Replace fuel filter
Re-anodise Gemballa aluminium pedals
Refurb rear shocks
Replace gearbox diff clutch pack
Replace synchros in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears
Replace third gear set
Replace transmission mount
Replace door wire loom rubber bellows
Replace 3rd/4th gear guide sleeve
Replace dog gear on 4th gear set
Fit reinforcement kits to both door checks
Repair damage to hinges from hyper extended driver door
Repair bumps from bonnet closing on over filled frunk
Replace crank ref sensor
Replace or refurb upper valve covers
Gut catalytic converter
Powder coat engine tin
Powder coat intake runners
Replace oil breather pipe
Fit exhaust cut out
Fit PDAS light
Respray car in L908 Grand Prix White
Shall I start looking for backpacker lodges for Europe 2016...
Old 10-14-2015 | 06:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
No way, in for a penny and all that.
Old 10-14-2015 | 07:49 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Epic parts list John. Hope you're documenting everything well for when you sell it

Thoughts on the M2? Front looks like a Lexus, or maybe Lambo influenced.
Old 10-14-2015 | 08:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here's the analysis for T1 & T10 in a 964/993.

Video below is myself chasing Paul for a session back in July 2014. It was the last time I had my 993 at HD and it had just had a fresh gearbox build and new Guards LSD clutch pack, drive shafts, CVs, wheel bearings and brake upgrade (you can hear the diff chirping in lock up at T2, did it every lap, I think because it was still tight with from lash/ with pre-load from being built, the whole car felt very odd but at the time with tight fresh internals but has now loosened up nicely after targa and some fast road work - we changed the gearbox oil immediately after this track day...).

Dont look at my rubbish lines (other than a fairly poor example of the double apex) but watch Pauls lines. Buba takes T1 very nicely. Sits out right on the left hand side of track and turns AFTER the apex cone swinging wide and tightening in the last 1/3 of the arc to almost touch the inner apex. Its a good line, hold speed and low risk. Im pedaling hard with a different line to keep up and his line is better here. Im using a superior set up and prepared car to make up ground for a less experienced and skilled pilot!

Everywhere Buba is smoother as you would expect from a man of his experience at HD and later that day he takes over a second from this lap time to reach his PB (this lap is just a mid 17). I do believe he could drive this track almost as quick in the dark!

There are a couple of clues to Pauls speed on the track other than a nice safe boomerang line at T1 and that is his B51 exit and his T10 entry and mid corner palcement. I dont have all of my files from that day here on The Rock, but I did look at the 15-20 laps I have following Buba over a couple of sessions (managed to almost keep up with him right up to the point where he had some laps with Stuart Owers then went out and took 0.5s off my best lap of the day and got his PB!).

What I can tell you is that in every one of those laps Paul is consistently using a "hybrid line". You can see this in the clip below. Paul comes in left hand of track applies some brake force after 200m flag and for a moment turns in quite aggressively and then lets the car run wide and tracks it very gradually around teh corner increasing power from mid way through the radius after appearing to finish his trail braking. This is why we had trouble identifying the line when Walt re posted the data. The method Paul is using is a combination of double apex and tightening radius. Very nice too. It consistently puts Paul ahead of my car by around 0.4s each lap as he exits faster and hits vmax quicker on the straight. Its very effective and a line I will definitely try once I get the 993 back out there. It will become know as the "Buba Line".

I have alot of footage form that day that reveals some interesting things about Buba driving style so i wont reveal all at this time other than to say his driving in the 993 was very smooth and he deserved to make that personal best that day. I think the 1.16.2X he set will become the benchmark at HD for some time for 964 & 993 road car owners. I've no doubt someone will get into the mid/high 15's some day but I think Bubas achievement that day will remain a high point for a while indeed!

The closest line I have on my telemetry for the true double apex vs wider radial tightening curve was from that same day when i went out for the last session with the GT3 (my first time on track with it). I immediately used the alternate line here as the chassis felt more suited to it. In the future I will try the Buba Line with the GT3 as I think it could allow even more speed (to be honest I haven't had a truly dry line on T10 since Jan 2015 session when it was stinking hot!).

The lines below in red and blue show two laps from different cars over laid with the different T10 lines. Ignore the track outline in black because its inaccurate to the GPS plot.

The blue line is the 993 in the lap on the clip below chasing Paul. It is a double apex line for T10.
The Red line is a constant tightening radius line from the GT3.

Remember the quickest way to learn is to watch listen and ask questions. This was my second time at HD and I was not overly happy with my lines or performance in the 993. Watching these videos afterwards and looking at the data helped me understand where I was making mistakes. Although i have not been out in the 993 since I now know how to drive the track quicker. On the rare occasion I cant fall to sleep at night within 30 seconds I visualize a full lap or two in the car around a NZ circuit. Ive managed to memorize the NI ones down to the rippled ash-felt coming into the braking zone ha ha. It helps send you to sleep just fine but others here may want to try it as its a great way to work through placement on the track. of course its all different when you get out there and there's tonnes of traffic or its been raining etc! We are all trying to become better drivers - if it were dead easy it would be boring right?

Attached Images   

Last edited by Macca; 10-14-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-14-2015 | 08:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. I added long and lateral G force in the table below between a 14 flat session in the GT3 and the session in the clip in the 993 (over 3.5s slower). Surprisingly the G forces between the two cars is almost identical and Ive found this time and time again. The GT3 is probably a 12.5s car and the 993 a 15.5 in a decent drivers hands. So 3.0s apart then. Interesting that given that fact i be the 993 can still corner and show similar G than teh GT3 which means the GT3 is picking it up mostly on corner exit, Vmas and a little bit with mid corner speed on NZ tracks (on US or faster Euro tracks the GT3 would have a bigger advantage).

It makes you wonder how much narrower that gap could be with another 80bhp and 30lbft torque!!!
Old 10-14-2015 | 08:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

If you are going to use the double apex line, or even if you arent but you are in a more powerful car approaching someone from behind into T10, then this is something you should know. It can be dicey. In this clip I use my mirrors and see a car some way behind me on the inside line - I'm heading Into the braking zone but with the double apex I only need to tap the brakes before the 200 sign before turning in to make a straight line. so Im thinking its fine for me to start my double apex. Interesting to see what happens next. the wide angle makes it seem less close than it really was. Turning In 2/10ths second earlier and the insurance claims would have been 200K+!! Bare this in mind if you are a driver of a faster car trying to overtake into a corner/braking zone or using the double apex in a slower car (use your mirrors but be cautious!).

In this example the GTR had no idea I was going to take that line and therefore decided to grab a chance not to get stuck behind a slower car and took me on the inside very quickly. I think it was a chancy move. I even checked my mirror before turning which you can see in the clip but the GTR was carrying some real speed. Next time on T10 l would not do double apex if a faster car is on my inside, id revert to tightening radius as the risk is too great someone like Jb or Nc would try he same move here.....

Last edited by Macca; 10-14-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-14-2015 | 03:11 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

I thought we didn't do overtaking under brakes at RSG?
Old 10-14-2015 | 05:52 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

I thought we didn't do overtaking under brakes at RSG?
Not sure of the interpretation for an RSG day but the GTR presented itself alongside Macca before he turned in to the corner, so in a race would have rights (or at least equal rights) to the corner, and with both drivers needing to give each other racing room would have the inside line advantage. By the time it does show at that camera angle, the GTR is well past level with him (fully in front by the looks of it) and still carrying a lot of speed so it may even have drawn alongside before hitting its brakes.

Macca can comment further on RSG passing rules and etiquette ( maybe the GTR did pass under brakes?) but one of the main lessons here is to always be aware of who is around you on track and what they may get up to (as Macca was - you can see him monitoring his mirrors etc).

In racing, it is a very close run thing at corner entry and a lot comes down to when the lead driver chooses to starts turning in. That is something that the driver attempting the pass cannot accurately predict so they must be as ready to jump on the anchors as they are to carry on through, at least until they have presented themselves.

Here I turn in before a sudden diver presents alongside. He doesn't haul himself up and some dented metal results:

You can see from the mirror in the below still capture that he's not yet showing beside me but I've started turning in and I'm looking through the corner:

Name:  Turning in - my corner, but torpedoed at the apex by a late diver.JPG
Views: 205
Size:  72.9 KB

This 14 sec clip shows the outcome. No winners, and he even loses a place from his passing attempt:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2p8a0p_torpedoed-at-the-apex-some-car-40-loving-during-the-2015-2kcup-masters-fast-group-1-hour-enduro_auto

Last edited by 996tnz; 10-14-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-14-2015 | 06:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Walter/Jason. I agree with Walts analysis. Technically the GTR was in the clear (we hadn't started braking yet). Practically its a chancy move and could have ended differently the reason I mention it here. No ones fault on the day - just a lucky outcome and we all went home smiling thankfully.

Being one of those who have driven both older 911s and newer GT3s at track Im now more aware of how these opportunities present themselves. Generally the more powerful car presents less time exposed to danger, but you do still take some small risk and you need to choose your moment and gap...
Old 10-14-2015 | 07:34 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
^^^^ Donna might be business class, but sounds like you are cattle class (better save up those air points mate)
Old 10-14-2015 | 08:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^^ Donna might be business class, but sounds like you are cattle class (better save up those air points mate)
It is getting up there, but not that extreme.

Ultimately, I had little choice as I know anything compromised on will upset me and get the whispers going (if that actually matters?)

When finished I will challenge people to find evidence of shortcuts as all you see (window seals and headlights excepted) will be new. The car is corrosion free and accident damage free (aside from the small bump you saw where it's bottomed out at some stage). I'm hoping it will 'pop' next to other cars of the same vintage as it's the details that make the difference to the 'look' and it's what has cost that little bit more to achieve.

Looking at the list I think I'm going to struggle to debut at the Porsche picnic, but am not pressuring myself. It will be ready when it's ready. I'll take photos then use it as intended and look out for my next project. What I need now is the market to tip into a downturn and find a car with real problems Engine issues would be great as I have the gear to put one on a stand now.
Old 10-14-2015 | 08:34 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Go cars not show cars John. Track day debut much more important than the picnic!!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?