Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 09:52 PM
young_dennis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I had a look through PET and couldn't find it either. Maybe take it into CCS or Giltraps and get them to identify it and sell you the part?
Thanks for having a look John...I'll try them next week I'm up in Auckland. After somr more searching last night one person said that that part was not available by itself and part of a loom? If they are helishly expensive I'll just try a standard rubber grommet.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It would be good if Jason can share the battery and mount he is using. If it does the job and is under $600 NZD with the mount/hardware its definitely worth considering over the rennline/Odyssey option...
Old 10-12-2015, 09:53 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Back to metal again. How is the 997T weaponization coming along?
Nothing new post mesh install. Am chatting to a seller on here about purchasing his GMG Sway Bars and have some AMG Paddles to augment my steering wheel at some point.

Will also purchase a new set of tyres in readiness for SITT but won't fit until I've chewed through the MPSS (am sure to before March). Still undecided on what to buy. Ideal would be RS3's but no one local will have new compound stock anytime soon.

I'd lined up a Kline exhaust and Cobb AP but coolant pipes going followed by the dairy dollar drop have out that on hold for now.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:59 PM
young_dennis
Advanced

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Thanks Macca. Jason has been using a small and very well priced battery for the last few years along with the matching mount. I was wondering what mount he used with his battery. I can't quite get my head around spending > $500 on a battery That said, those Odyssey have a great reputation
You can get a sealed vertex battery for $ 215 Inc gst which is way cheaper than the odyssey I've got the same battery in my Honda race car and it has been pretty good. Went flat after sitting unused for 18 months charged it up and left for another 6 months and it still started the car..it was about $160 ish when I bought it 4 years ago..
Old 10-12-2015, 10:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by young_dennis
Thanks for having a look John...I'll try them next week I'm up in Auckland. After somr more searching last night one person said that that part was not available by itself and part of a loom? If they are helishly expensive I'll just try a standard rubber grommet.
No problem. It's not a critical item and not really visible so a similar piece would work. FWIW Rubber items in my refurb have been reasonably priced as there is usually an OEM option to the Porsche branded one. When that option isn't available then the Porsche tax hits. I'm punch drunk on the trim items where there isn't another option.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:18 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
I've been using the Odyssey PC925 for 5 years now. They are around $400+ from memory. I think a decent quality lead acid battery for the 993 probably runs around $200 in any case? The weight savings with the brackets was considerable. I also like the cut off switch capability of the Rennline bracket (I use it each time the car goes into storage).
I use a trickle charger. If the battery is disconnected then i need to have an adaption performed - which is a bit crap - but the car won't idle properly without it

Originally Posted by young_dennis
You can get a sealed vertex battery for $ 215 Inc gst which is way cheaper than the odyssey I've got the same battery in my Honda race car and it has been pretty good. Went flat after sitting unused for 18 months charged it up and left for another 6 months and it still started the car..it was about $160 ish when I bought it 4 years ago..
Thanks for the heads up. Looks good. I'll look into it a bit more.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:58 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Ok who's keen? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-964423624.htm
Old 10-13-2015, 12:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Vertex battery looks similar specification to the Odyssey PC545 (chart below). Its half the size and weight of the PC925 I use. The PC545 is used by a number of Porsche race car owners in the States but not recommended for road cars (no idea why, maybe loads, cold starts etc). I was recommended against using it with a flat six 3.6L (and I think more so if you are 3.8 or 4.0L F6 - big pistons require high CCA?). That said weather in NZ is quite mild compared to many parts of the world and if you are always able to keep it on trickle I see no reason why it shouldn't work fine and its half the price of the Odyssey PC545. If someone can get the spec sheet for the Vertex and post here we can check and see if its the same DIN size as the 545 for which the Rennline bracket below will work...Id say it may be worth trying.
Attached Images   
Old 10-13-2015, 02:05 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Nothing new post mesh install. Am chatting to a seller on here about purchasing his GMG Sway Bars and have some AMG Paddles to augment my steering wheel at some point.

Will also purchase a new set of tyres in readiness for SITT but won't fit until I've chewed through the MPSS (am sure to before March). Still undecided on what to buy. Ideal would be RS3's but no one local will have new compound stock anytime soon.

I'd lined up a Kline exhaust and Cobb AP but coolant pipes going followed by the dairy dollar drop have out that on hold for now.
Good job securing those paddles. Had just come across your posts on a couple of 'for sale' threads over the last few months and wondered if you were busy in the bat cave. That exhaust and Cobb should give her a bit of extra oomph when you get to them but your work on handling is probably better track bang for your buck.

Tyre choice would be so much easier if everything DOT rated was road legal here, though I know it wouldn't really make sense with NZ's weather.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Im not sure if they make MPSC2 in your sizes but that could solve the most weather Dot R thing...at a price!
Old 10-13-2015, 04:00 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Ha ha, I first thought it was a $1 reserve auction for the car.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:48 AM
shiraz
Racer

^ think they had it for sale last yr or 2 yrs ago - I recall number plate & seller. Feedback not too flash.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:24 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
Vertex battery looks similar specification to the Odyssey PC545 (chart below). Its half the size and weight of the PC925 I use. The PC545 is used by a number of Porsche race car owners in the States but not recommended for road cars (no idea why, maybe loads, cold starts etc). I was recommended against using it with a flat six 3.6L (and I think more so if you are 3.8 or 4.0L F6 - big pistons require high CCA?). That said weather in NZ is quite mild compared to many parts of the world and if you are always able to keep it on trickle I see no reason why it shouldn't work fine and its half the price of the Odyssey PC545. If someone can get the spec sheet for the Vertex and post here we can check and see if its the same DIN size as the 545 for which the Rennline bracket below will work...Id say it may be worth trying.

Heres a link to the vertex info. Doesn't look too bad and should fit the smaller Rennline battery mount

http://www.batterydirect.co.nz/index...-car-batteries
Old 10-13-2015, 05:47 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Interesting with the battery. That would be a few kg saved.

Meanwhile the parcels keep on arriving. Dizzy caps and rotors, trim, lots of small parts and a new innovation, rear lens replacements
Attached Images    
Old 10-13-2015, 05:51 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Bat...nfo/EL36%2E38/

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?