Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 06:32 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just ordered new brake rotors all round for the 993 and I know this has been discussed before but whats the recommendations on brake pads? Mostly street with a couple of track days a year... more if I'm lucky! I've run Pagid's in the past which were great on the track but squealed like anything! Got a good deal on the rotors too if any 993 owners need to do theirs.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Imagine if someone could develop a re fit kit, for the tipo for the 964/993, bringing it right up to date. Single clutch system would be fine, paddle operated, additional ratio (perhaps split the 2 & 3 using a secondary gear to make it a 6 speed. With modern techniques you could probably bring it up to a point where it would at least equal the MT variant. With the price delta on the cars even if it were a 10-15K conversion it would be viable...
Old 08-18-2015, 06:38 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
I've just ordered new brake rotors all round for the 993 and I know this has been discussed before but whats the recommendations on brake pads? Mostly street with a couple of track days a year... more if I'm lucky! I've run Pagid's in the past which were great on the track but squealed like anything! Got a good deal on the rotors too if any 993 owners need to do theirs.
Just run stock - 993's have awesome brakes, I ran stock coz the squeeling pis*ed Peter H (and me) off. I noticed no difference on factory pads to be honest.

Just my 10c
Old 08-18-2015, 06:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
I've been very happy with the PFC08 recommended by Matt and Matt. I used them for the SITT. No issues on the track and no squealing on the road. Very good value from Design 911.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:45 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
So when does the ad go on TM?
When the weather improves and I can take some decent photos. I took some on Monday night but wasn't quite light enough. Not taking my chances with the uber-critical TM police on here!!
Old 08-18-2015, 06:53 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I've been very happy with the PFC08 recommended by Matt and Matt. I used them for the SITT. No issues on the track and no squealing on the road. Very good value from Design 911.
Are they a track pad or an alternative to factory pads?
Old 08-18-2015, 06:59 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John McM
Wasn't there a recommendation of a guy/place in Auckland? Think they were blue pads from memory?
Old 08-18-2015, 06:59 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Are they a track pad or an alternative to factory pads?
Road & Track http://www.design911.com/Porsche/993...-cma81-cmo109/
Old 08-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jamie. I tend to agree with Paul. The factory pads are not only reasonably priced they also handle the track just fine. They probably wear a bit quicker than a track oriented pad but as long as you are using SRF or similar then they get the job done and at half the price of the blue MX72 Endless (they are a road/track pad and do not squeal) I have fitted to the 993TT stoppers. Those are supplied by Mike @ ProSport Auckland. Fantastic pad, give alot of confidence and have done 2 track days, 3000km spirited road and a 3 day Targa Tour and barely show any wear. But they are $8-900 a set and you can get the factory ones form offshore for half that. Id stick with the factory pads but upgrade the fluid....
Old 08-18-2015, 03:26 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Imagine if someone could develop a re fit kit, for the tipo for the 964/993, bringing it right up to date. Single clutch system would be fine, paddle operated, additional ratio (perhaps split the 2 & 3 using a secondary gear to make it a 6 speed. With modern techniques you could probably bring it up to a point where it would at least equal the MT variant. With the price delta on the cars even if it were a 10-15K conversion it would be viable...
Agree, but an easier option would be if someone just reprogrammed the controller for auto mode. The very reason why Tippo owners mostly drive their cars in manual mode and either use the stick or buttons on 96+ cars.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

2k Cup racing update on the RSG site.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:14 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-935179094.htm

^^^^ Nice car with a nice spec..........
At contis now getting new tyres, but it's not here to ogle. 😕 I think the last powerlkitted car (Neil's old 996 turbo) was only here for 24 hours. nice gt3 in the showroom with 300k retail price. how much below retail would you expect to pay after negotiating on a new car like this ?

Heres a cheapish Tipo 964 Cab (assumes will sell around 35K). Apparently the brakes are by a local bank, the wheels were factory supplied and its sporting a very rare 5 speed auto tranny! You just have to love the great lengths gone to to prepare the car for sale and photographs. surely a vacuum a wash and a polish wouldnt be too much to ask. You have to wonder if the owner is an enthusiast at all...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-921533860.htm
was the 964 made in '94?
Old 08-18-2015, 08:42 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Heres a cheapish Tipo 964 Cab (assumes will sell around 35K). Apparently the brakes are by a local bank, the wheels were factory supplied and its sporting a very rare 5 speed auto tranny! You just have to love the great lengths gone to to prepare the car for sale and photographs. surely a vacuum a wash and a polish wouldnt be too much to ask. You have to wonder if the owner is an enthusiast at all...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-921533860.htm
Seriously, i'm no marketer but for heavens sake. Why are they advertising a car that is obviously used for paddock racing as a feature !!?? The dust and dirt is still in the interior. The only cars we used for paddock racing are old sh!tters, usually with no wof and are being tested to see how long they can drive without oil. Or something
Old 08-18-2015, 09:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
At contis now getting new tyres, but it's not here to ogle. 😕 I think the last powerlkitted car (Neil's old 996 turbo) was only here for 24 hours. nice gt3 in the showroom with 300k retail price. how much below retail would you expect to pay after negotiating on a new car like this ?

was the 964 made in '94?
I believe the 964 C2 ceased production at the end of MY 1993. I dont believe there is such thing as a 1994 MY 964 in naturally aspirated guise. Others may correct me. Probably just yet another inaccuracy in the advert.

Was the 991 GT3 you saw in the showroom Rodium Silver with around 4000km on the clock? If so it is Watts car.

The 991 GT3 listed at new 277,500K on road in NZ (list base price 275K + ORC). That was with NZ options (which included front lift kit and a few other things). Most would have gone out the door between 285-310K depending on options (PCCB would have made the car 310K with a few little upgrades). Im guessing the average 991 GT3 would have been delivered at around 292K NZD on the road.

Porsche Cars Australia really sharpened their pencil on the 991 GT3 for NZ at the time as they feared UK imports. The 991 GT3RS has been priced more in line with their standard pricing policy. $362K on road and I guess the average car will be around $378K with options. So around 86K more than a similar specced GT3 which is consistent with the old mark up structure and in line with the difference in UK and US markets (35K GBP, 50K Euro, 50K USD).

Ive been told by a couple of owners that the 991 GT3 RS (price plus limited availability) has strengthened 991 GT3 used/trade prices but I have no evidence thats the case unless of course you can confirm the $300K asking for the one in the showroom is Watts used car delivered this time last year.

In terms of discount structure for cars like new GT3. This is a tricky one. It depends on the customer and the relationship. Generally speaking the very best customers who haggled hard and had an existing relationship could probably have negotiated a 18K discount on the car best case scenario. however its most likely this would have been applied to their trade in to keep the sale price clean of discounts. Without a trade the best you could expect would be perhaps 13K but again depends on relationship and what else you committed to buying. PCNZ would have argued at the time that they were already heavily discounting the car for NZ market and the margin was thin.

Its worth remembering too that MY2014 owners affected by the engine recall were offered a cash settlement as compensation which effectively reduced the cost of their car by 10% or so. The other alternative was they received full refund for their car. Interestingly (and perhaps this is a NZ psyche thing) everyone bailed (8 cars had been delivered or were about to be delivered with another 4 or 5 caught up at the factory) barr one who took his compensation by way of exclusive upgrades for his car, and myself (who took the cash compensation!). So the reality is if those people had have accepted delivery of their car, taken the compensation and negotiated hard up front then their current 991 GT3 would owe them around $240K giving them at least 18 months of depreciation proof ownership! As I say interestingly only one NZ customer took this option (and by way of options and Porsche selection gear etc).

Interesting scenario which no doubt will get lost in history of time...
Old 08-18-2015, 09:48 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I believe the 964 C2 ceased production at the end of MY 1993. I dont believe there is such thing as a 1994 MY 964 in naturally aspirated guise. Others may correct me. Probably just yet another inaccuracy in the advert.
1993/94 was a difficult time for Porsche and I understand that there were a few cars moving between the model years, including the '94 Turbo 3.6 as delivered to the US Market.

In the late 90's it was generally accepted that a '92 onward model 964 was well worth looking out for as it had proper engine gaskets and other enhancements. I think that had waned over the years. I would buy on condition far more than model year.

As for that Cab, I wish someone would export it. The 964 market has more than its fair share of roughies. What I'd like to see now is a few rough C4s come on market.....

BTW:The above said, the cab VIN is a '92 model...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?