Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 04:22 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
What - did you say GT3's group?? Dougie - are you still bringing Lola or Boxtering now JMc is taking the R??
Paul I'm bringing Lola unless it's really pissing down in which case I'll bring the Boxster like last time.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:27 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Have to love the passion attached to these cars, but I am nowhere near having the creativity and skills to take on such a project. I am however expanding my comfort zone wrenching on these cars.

Last night, I all but finished the prep to drop the engine and gearbox. My garage floor has seen spills with the makings of a 964 cocktail; Mobil 1, Pentosin and 98 Octane Petrol. I have an ever expanding tool collection, at a considerable cost (try buying 19mm, 32mm and 36mm spanners at a reasonable price). I have various cuts and scrapes on my hands, my fingernails are constantly black, I have aches and pains in the arms, shoulders and neck, but a smile a mile wide as I contemplate fulfilling a bucket list item.

I'm not going to over reach my abilities and start pulling apart the box or engine. However, I am going to tackle the small things needing attention. The right rear CV joint needs repacking, some bolts need replacing and the crank sensor connection is Fubar. I'll put in an engine bay blanket, look at the power steering belt, then do the 20,000km service including the valve adjust. When I'm finished I'll have a hopefully very sorted air cooled car and will almost certainly sell the R before Christmas. I'm happiest when tinkering and the R is not something I want to tinker with. Add 22 weeks away next year and the decision becomes obvious. Nobody needs four cars and there's no way I'm selling the C4 after this.
Good on you John, and I knew the air sucker would win the fight.

Same with you Macca, the GT3 is certainly epic and a bucket list item for all of us but the old 911's are where we are (mostly) rooted. This comes from lifetime of love for the Marque and at our most vulnerable age (for me anyway) saw SC's, Carrera's and 930's as jaw dropping moon ships.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:40 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I'm planning on making some changes in my garage.... The first one is to replace the Cayenne S and the Forester with one vehicle that can perform the two tasks we need.

Jan likes a small SUV style car and this is her second Forester. We've owned it from new and having just spent $2.5k replacing the [design fault] carbon head gaskets with the permanent fix steel ones so at 120km after 10 years she's good for a few more years. It's a nice one being NZ new with full leather and upgraded legacy mags. She only does 12k per annum and mostly around town a lot with her Landscape Design business.

I have the 2003 Cayenne S which I've owned since 2005. When we had kids at home (only one left) it as essential and it has been retained to tow the boat. Because we have a tractor at the beach we only need to tow it these days once every 2-3 years into Whangarei. I've just done this with the boat and it's good for 3 years hopefully. I love the Cayenne and having depreciated by over $100k in 9 years it's a shame to sell it.

Having extra garage space taken up, additional insurance, servicing and registration going to one vehicle makes a lot of sense.

So we've been looking at trading both for a used VW Tiguan 4WD without putting more capital in. It gives us a budget of $25-$30k. My preference for Jan's type of motoring (low mileage) is petrol rather than diesel although I have a diesel from CCS in the driveway tonight that man has tried out. She hates big cars and refuses to drive the Cayenne :-)

The Tiguan will tow 2.2 tonnes braked and my braked boat weighs a smidgen under 2 tonnes, so taking it easy the car will do that job.

Just telling this story in case any of you with more experience than I know how sound and reliable the Tiguan platform is and can offer any advice. With several of you having just bought Cayennes my timing isn't good for moving it on in the group. She's 2003 Cayenne S full leather, all black, bloody great car, done about 145k I think and I reckon I'll move it on for a smidgen over $20k. I've driven each of those kms apart from the first 30k rom when I bought it off Giltraps.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-922717416.htm
Old 08-13-2015, 05:18 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by O2GO
I'm planning on making some changes in my garage.... The first one is to replace the Cayenne S and the Forester with one vehicle that can perform the two tasks we need.

Jan likes a small SUV style car and this is her second Forester. We've owned it from new and having just spent $2.5k replacing the [design fault] carbon head gaskets with the permanent fix steel ones so at 120km after 10 years she's good for a few more years. It's a nice one being NZ new with full leather and upgraded legacy mags. She only does 12k per annum and mostly around town a lot with her Landscape Design business.

I have the 2003 Cayenne S which I've owned since 2005. When we had kids at home (only one left) it as essential and it has been retained to tow the boat. Because we have a tractor at the beach we only need to tow it these days once every 2-3 years into Whangarei. I've just done this with the boat and it's good for 3 years hopefully. I love the Cayenne and having depreciated by over $100k in 9 years it's a shame to sell it.

Having extra garage space taken up, additional insurance, servicing and registration going to one vehicle makes a lot of sense.

So we've been looking at trading both for a used VW Tiguan 4WD without putting more capital in. It gives us a budget of $25-$30k. My preference for Jan's type of motoring (low mileage) is petrol rather than diesel although I have a diesel from CCS in the driveway tonight that man has tried out. She hates big cars and refuses to drive the Cayenne :-)

The Tiguan will tow 2.2 tonnes braked and my braked boat weighs a smidgen under 2 tonnes, so taking it easy the car will do that job.

Just telling this story in case any of you with more experience than I know how sound and reliable the Tiguan platform is and can offer any advice. With several of you having just bought Cayennes my timing isn't good for moving it on in the group. She's 2003 Cayenne S full leather, all black, bloody great car, done about 145k I think and I reckon I'll move it on for a smidgen over $20k. I've driven each of those kms apart from the first 30k rom when I bought it off Giltraps.

Yeah, Tiguan experience here. All good. 2.2 T capacity will haul a boat OK. Ours is 6m tandem and 1.9T and the Tig does Tamaki drive to OBC ok but that's no test. Yet to do a long haul. It doesn't seem right that a reasonably small SUV can haul that much and I've put the BMW at 2T to the long haul task because it seems more suitable but that will be moving on soon and the Tig will be the only option. I'd recommend a Tiguan as a good all rounder.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:24 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Just with a bit of a rider on the Tig - I specifically sought out an Auto rather than a 7 speed DSG which is the problem child box of the VW range I believe. GTI's and R's have the six speed which has proven OK. One is wet clutch and one is dry - can't remember which is which. The mechatronic module on the 7 speeder goes cookoo and a full replacement of the mechatronic unit is the only fix. VW NZ slapped a 5 year warranty on all DSG's after the very public recall to gain back a bit of confidence. I rang VW NZ to make sure my subsequent VW DSG purchases were covered.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:54 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Thanks Dave. Good tip on avoiding the DSG box thanks.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:17 AM
Moochier
Instructor

That may be best done by a group. Maybe I should see who's around on Sunday and make a couple of hours out of it? Are you a starter for Sunday morning?
I'm around Sunday morning John if you need more hands. Let me know.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:25 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Macca any plan like this ends up being a long time in the hatching. I think you are pretty close on the ideal spec but a couple of thoughts for you to think about.
1) I suspect after the 9000 rpm gt3 motor anything 7-7.5 is going to feel a little bit tame. having said this wear factors one you rev over 7.5 will accelerate. Every extra 100 revs over 7k will give you more hp.
2) so for me I would build the motor to safely rev a little more say 7750 but set the "shift light" at 7500. then spec the cam to get peak higher say 7400 . that way operating limit still say 7500 but more power.

I did something similar in speccing a NA engine build and for sure the top engine builders can custom spec cams to do pretty much whatever you want.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Good on you John, and I knew the air sucker would win the fight.

Same with you Macca, the GT3 is certainly epic and a bucket list item for all of us but the old 911's are where we are (mostly) rooted. This comes from lifetime of love for the Marque and at our most vulnerable age (for me anyway) saw SC's, Carrera's and 930's as jaw dropping moon ships.
Dave. Im just sticking to the original program. Ordering a new Porsche from the factory and taking European delivery was always the bucket list item for me, not ownership of a GT3 per se (already ticked).

The car was always planned to be sold at the point where the price I paid and market value collided, so the money could be repatriated from whence it came and start working for a living once again. I've been very lucky with the GT3 as that day appears further out than I had originally anticipated and I should hope that I will get almost 3 years of enjoyment from it before destiny is fulfilled. I think the key is letting it go 6 months before the replacement is announced at Geneva March 2017. This would time well for a GT4 replacement, although it is yet to be known if the FX will make this a viable option to repeat the same program...

I must say the car has been epic. Its the best car I've owned to date (everything on my past/current ownership list included). The power has very much corrupted me. I'm not sure I can go back to a 993 that doesn't make at least another 100 bhp and revs at least another 1000 rpm maximum (hence the thoughts to bring forward plans to upgrade the power unit). It would be nice to run a single 911 again for all requirements - makes my life so much simpler and storage x2 is an expensive annual cost for me. This is a very expensive addiction, but it sounds like others too are thinking to consolidate their fleet. The good news is the air suckers get the benefit of becoming more "fit for purpose" and more importantly DRIVEN as a result!
Old 08-13-2015, 07:41 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting re towing capacity of Tiguan. I looked at midsized suv's recently for this spec and found published stats for Macan and X3 were 2000kg
Old 08-13-2015, 07:46 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

John, I can make it at 9.30 Sunday if you need more hands? Speak to you Saturday.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:56 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

All are welcome on Sunday. I've disconnected everything except the engine mounts. The ATV Jack is currently holding up the rear. As soon as the mounts are undone we should have the engine and transmission resting on the jacks. It's then a matter of slowly lowering both while watching the various things I disconnected to make sure they don't snag. When they are both resting as low as possible then we need to lift the rear of the body 24cm or more and wheel the lot out. Simple!
Attached Images   
Old 08-13-2015, 08:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
Macca any plan like this ends up being a long time in the hatching. I think you are pretty close on the ideal spec but a couple of thoughts for you to think about.
1) I suspect after the 9000 rpm gt3 motor anything 7-7.5 is going to feel a little bit tame. having said this wear factors one you rev over 7.5 will accelerate. Every extra 100 revs over 7k will give you more hp.
2) so for me I would build the motor to safely rev a little more say 7750 but set the "shift light" at 7500. then spec the cam to get peak higher say 7400 . that way operating limit still say 7500 but more power.

I did something similar in speccing a NA engine build and for sure the top engine builders can custom spec cams to do pretty much whatever you want.
Good advice Graeme. I think my wish list needs to be sanitized with considerations like these. I need a 100+ hour engine. Ideally I would look to use a GT3 crank, oil pump and Asse studs with lightweight ti rods to ensure that the engine can safely run well above the peak RPM we set the limiter with. With Motec/G4 the nice thing which I found is you can change the max rpm by gear or by head temps or other variables. This means you can set the car up to run a nice safe 7750 headline under idea conditions but not exceed say 4750/5750/6750 rpm dependent on head temps or crank case temps etc.

However, reality being what it is I suspect the build I end up with will be fairly tame compared to what is available to those with Rothsport level race budgets. They have just completed a 3.9L install for a 993 client David Hanson which runs 410 bhp & 328 lbft (more than the latest GT3) with sliders/ITB, Cup style intake plenum and equal length stepped 3 into 1 header (not cats) into a 997 GT3 center rear muffler, milspec harness. In a 1250kg road car its giving better power and torque top weight ratio than a 997.2 GT3 and it appears on the track the older chassis (with plenty of modern day tweaking) is able to at least match the more modern machinery. However these cars are running strictly on 98 or better grade fuel without A/C units.

For my build I think I will be more looking at something like this Rothsport build for Matt D. Its a 3.8 which revs safely to 7200 using the factory bottom end (crank & oil pump) and rods with upgraded studs and fasteners running Densco/Mahl RSR pistons & cams and RS valves. Obviously springs, retainers upgraded to heavy duty and some porting and bench flow work here as well as optimizing inlet and exhaust valve sizes etc The especial sauce is upgraded injectors, Rothsport slides, GT3 style intake pleneum and centre exhaust (can use a dual exit for negligible loss) and Rothsport stepped headers. The car runs strong with headroom on pump gas (93MON/98RON) and will make a reliable 371 bhp with 298lbft. It works well in his weekend track toy. For a road car we will loose a little with A/C and thats something Rothsport are still working through for me. However a build like this is still 60-65K NZD. That was looking a lot better last year (under 50K NZD). I think with where this is all going the reality is we would have to loose the sliders, center GT3 exhaust and have John McM drop the engine and re fit it to the car to get the costs back down to 50K range. Then we are looking at a 360 bhp/ 292 lbft type solution. The next stop is to have the work done locally and look to just fit the slip on 3.8 Mahl kit with Rs pistons and perhaps send the heads to Steve Wiener to bore fit new RS exhaust valves, new ceramic coating of ports, bench flow and re assemble with the Ti retainers and heavier duty springs, Cup billet cams etc. Ive already backdated to manual elephants food rockers which dont pump down under higher rpm. He can take my heads and perform this work for around 5-6K USD including parts and labour, gaskets and freight. With the RS 3.8 slip kit ($5K USD for Mahl slip in cylinders & Pistons), Pauter rods ($1700 USD), reversion back to MAF and Motronic (Steve Wong would need to so the chip) we end up with something a bit better than the factory 3.8RS (probably closer to the 3.8 Cup car) making perhaps 330 bhp for 288lbft on pump 98.

Its a very reliable solution but will not see the rpm headline move much from the stock 6800 that the factory 3.6 uses. 7200 is usually the maximum safely recommended. With around 10k USD in parts, 6K USD in outwork and 5-7K NZD locally for the rebuild and install/dyno etc you can see its still a 32K NZD proposition taking probably 4-5 months and retains the factory 3.6 spec bottom end. heck I reckon a full 3.6 rebuild now would be 25K NZD alone without enhancing anything!

Sorry - this email became longer than I hoped and I apologize for boring people. Anything seems better than talking Auckland property prices or the astronomical values of our favorite cars tho right :-P
Attached Images      
Old 08-13-2015, 09:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

All are welcome on Sunday. I've disconnected everything except the engine mounts. The ATV Jack is currently holding up the rear. As soon as the mounts are undone we should have the engine and transmission resting on the jacks. It's then a matter of slowly lowering both while watching the various things I disconnected to make sure they don't snag. When they are both resting as low as possible then we need to lift the rear of the body 24cm or more and wheel the lot out. Simple!
John. All respect to you for undertaking this buddy. Its a huge achievement and Im sure its been very rewarding. Each to their own tho. I think I'm feeling more comfortable now with the 8-10 hours of labour CCS charge to drop and reinstate the engine! I'm afraid I would have neither the time nor patience (plus he concern I would bugger something up as I always seem to do when I go and fix something). Im pretty certain with the turn out on Sunday morning it should go smooth. Infact with the number you are catering for I suspect you could just lift the car body over your heads and stash it away in the corner of teh garage or something then get on with some bevvys aye!
Old 08-13-2015, 03:43 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO

Tiguan diesel a good choice. A few friends running them around here. I have had several drives from QT Alex sharing a ride. They pull well, and pass easy enough for me. Only issue I am aware of is the DSG, but VW held up the warranty albeit a PIA for them at the time.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?