Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 07:52 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
A bit of a personal journey for me with the Dunlop800....

The 800 was my first race outside of several PCNZ dual sprints over the last 3 years. The last of these I did ended in a costly crash in the wet back in August 14 so I was pretty anxious about cocking it up for the team by coming off the track in the wet or dropping a bunch of places from being too slow. The team could see this and a big thanks to Mark H especially for talking me through relaxing and not worrying about pace. When I went out it was wet but drying well in the racing lines and Chris (our lead on tyre pressures for the conditions) who had just come in was concerned about my pressures being set too high for the wet. After 21 laps I was going slower and they brought me in to drop the pressures and sent another car out. I was happy that I'd done enough and my times were very slow (1:35+). This is where the team dynamics kicked in and they were determined to send me out for another 15 laps with correct pressures and didn't let me give up. That second run was brilliant. It was now fully dry, tyre pressures were correct and I was doing a few 1:29.5s in BB and got my confidence back.

So a big thanks to all of the team for that. It was a good call for getting me "back on the horse" and especially Mark for coaching me on not worrying and just enjoying it.

The teamwork was fabulous and it was a lot of fun doing it as a big team. Chris B is right. We could have been more competitive with less drivers as we gave up a lot of time with our pitting for driver swaps but it was in the spirit of finishing and sharing.

I loved it and are now thinking more seriously of getting into the 2kcup.

Thanks guys :-)
That right there makes it all worthwhile!
Old 07-04-2015, 08:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Ndewar
Thoroughly enjoyable event with team spirit and excitement the whole day being the key. Some funny moments and team work that resulted in a wonderful experience. A big thanks to john and the rest of the team who are so much more mechanically minded than me and offered so much to the preparation of the cars. The Hondas were fantastic and bb amazing. Times for all drivers very similar but some of the cars out there pulled away from us effortlessly. There is a secret in there somewhere. Thanks to the team for a wonderful days racing.
I drove the Grinch behind Racing Ray for maybe 1/2 lap. I don't think it's a power game, I saw him corner quickly and smoothly, except for the sweeper and turn 1 where he was ragged. I think he was see sawing on the wheel to keep the car agile.

I'm not sure of the interest in sinking more money into the cars, but if we are keen then I think it's worthwhile changing the springs on the Grinch for something race oriented. Right now we have Kings lowering springs in there. Given we put four new shocks in, it's likely they could take the extra pressure. I fitted the shocks so can easily change out the springs. One thing though is that I don't see the sense in slamming these cars. If anything BB2 is too low.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
A bit of a personal journey for me with the Dunlop800.... The 800 was my first race outside of several PCNZ dual sprints over the last 3 years. The last of these I did ended in a costly crash in the wet back in August 14 so I was pretty anxious about cocking it up for the team by coming off the track in the wet or dropping a bunch of places from being too slow. The team could see this and a big thanks to Mark H especially for talking me through relaxing and not worrying about pace. When I went out it was wet but drying well in the racing lines and Chris (our lead on tyre pressures for the conditions) who had just come in was concerned about my pressures being set too high for the wet. After 21 laps I was going slower and they brought me in to drop the pressures and sent another car out. I was happy that I'd done enough and my times were very slow (1:35+). This is where the team dynamics kicked in and they were determined to send me out for another 15 laps with correct pressures and didn't let me give up. That second run was brilliant. It was now fully dry, tyre pressures were correct and I was doing a few 1:29.5s in BB and got my confidence back. So a big thanks to all of the team for that. It was a good call for getting me "back on the horse" and especially Mark for coaching me on not worrying and just enjoying it. The teamwork was fabulous and it was a lot of fun doing it as a big team. Chris B is right. We could have been more competitive with less drivers as we gave up a lot of time with our pitting for driver swaps but it was in the spirit of finishing and sharing. I loved it and are now thinking more seriously of getting into the 2kcup. Thanks guys :-)
Our plan from the get go was 7 drivers in 3 cars. There was no way you were going to bow out without getting your share of the laps. We know you are fast and you certainly got your mojo in that second run. I'd encourage you to join the racing group in some way. More than one of us has had the 'what the f$&@ am I doing here' when lined up on the grid contemplating 30+ cars heading for turn 1, but the focus shifts when the lights go out. At some stage in the race a similar paced car overtakes you because you are too nice, then you realise he has crap lines and you plan the kill. Do that for 33 minutes or an hour and you are buzzing for hours afterwards. That's all that matters for me and will keep me coming back. Sharing it with friends makes it even better. The other 99.9999% of the population couldn't give a rats about it.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking from afar simply at the numbers would indicate some of the lead machinery is significantly quicker. Even allowing 1-2s a lap for driver skill between the best in the RSG group and the best in the other groups, it still appears a number of cars are 2s a lap quicker.

My POV on this is to improve only the most obvious and cost effective parts of the car which may pull that gap.

From remote observation and the comments passed here and on FB it would appear a big chunk of the intrinsic reward from this event was participation, camaraderie and completion. That should be the focus and it would appear the Enduro style events provide much more of this than some of the out and out paint swapping race meets.

Overall looks like it was a fabulous experience. A little disappointed I could not participate in some way, but such is life. Looks like 2K Cup racing will keep the troupes entertained for some time yet!
Old 07-04-2015, 11:12 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been enjoying the posts on here and FB, great to see everyone fizzing.........

I wish I could have entered too (especially after seeing the posts and buzz) - but "domestic credit" is low and need to invest more into family time.

Where did the 3 cars finish in the end?

When's the next big event?
Old 07-05-2015, 02:14 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I have been enjoying the posts on here and FB, great to see everyone fizzing.........

I wish I could have entered too (especially after seeing the posts and buzz) - but "domestic credit" is low and need to invest more into family time.

Where did the 3 cars finish in the end?

When's the next big event?
We started mid-field (10th?) and finished mid-field, 11th. As ChrisB alluded to, on a 'pitstop handicap' basis we'd have placed higher as driver swaps made for about double the pitstops of many teams.

And on the Chris front, the start was an all Chris effort, with Chris M doing the 'Le Mans' run (actually a damn sight further than Le Mans as it was from the bottom of the skidpan) to tag Chris B away onto a wet track, where he made good headway:

Name:  Dunlop800 ChrisM run.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  479.4 KB

Name:  Dunlop800 Chris B in wet crop sm.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  257.9 KB

My camera died soon after (one raindrop too many?) so I couldn't get the shots to do the rest of the team justice, but it was a simply brilliant event - made all the better by the evening before's wet, dark practice (more respect again for the Le Mans racers) and almost whole team dinner at Rangiriri. Actually Neil was there in spirit too at dinner as the Chrises set about strafing one of his TradeMe targets.

Great to hang out together while other drivers were in the hot seat, and once in the seat myself it certainly focused the mind knowing that the hopes of six other team membes were riding shotgun. Thanks for making my day guys!

Last edited by 996tnz; 07-05-2015 at 02:32 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:28 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Enough Honda talk. Time to concentrate on the PCNZ track day. I have 11 days to fit the cut out and make Herman this annoying
. Where is a good muffler maker who can insert my Y pipe into the primary bypass?
Old 07-05-2015, 10:04 AM
BadgerNZ
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Looking from afar simply at the numbers would indicate some of the lead machinery is significantly quicker. Even allowing 1-2s a lap for driver skill between the best in the RSG group and the best in the other groups, it still appears a number of cars are 2s a lap quicker.

My POV on this is to improve only the most obvious and cost effective parts of the car which may pull that gap.

From remote observation and the comments passed here and on FB it would appear a big chunk of the intrinsic reward from this event was participation, camaraderie and completion. That should be the focus and it would appear the Enduro style events provide much more of this than some of the out and out paint swapping race meets.

Overall looks like it was a fabulous experience. A little disappointed I could not participate in some way, but such is life. Looks like 2K Cup racing will keep the troupes entertained for some time yet!
I wouldn't worry about making your cars massively faster, especially since there's a new rule set due out shortly for the next season that will be in many areas a bit more strict than before. Would hate for you to spend money on the cars on things that'd have to come straight off again and into the bin to stay legal. Note that Ray Williams' car does NOT meet the new rules, and he was playing it VERY cute with the old rules, as were many of the quickest cars in the field.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BadgerNZ
I wouldn't worry about making your cars massively faster, especially since there's a new rule set due out shortly for the next season that will be in many areas a bit more strict than before. Would hate for you to spend money on the cars on things that'd have to come straight off again and into the bin to stay legal. Note that Ray Williams' car does NOT meet the new rules, and he was playing it VERY cute with the old rules, as were many of the quickest cars in the field.
George, we welcome those rules and enforcement of existing rules. There are too many cars that won't idle normally, sound like their exhausts are straight pipes, corner as if on rails etc etc. We rebuilt our cars with Partmaster, ADL, Repco etc supplying parts. I still think there is a driver difference with equal cars but they won't be walking away from us by the sound of it. Right now we're replacing our brake lines for safety reasons and looking at firmer springs as we're bottoming out on some corners.

BTW it is very frustrating to learn that cars are non compliant but allowed to race event after event because they choose not to race for points. Maybe one race flexibility but next time turn up compliant or don't turn up at all.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Dutch Porsche content; best I've seen so far.
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2015, 05:19 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

This 3.6T is parked in the basement of our hotel in Stuttgart. Must be the owners since it has its own named space. 122,000kms. I will be sure to strike up a convo and find out more.
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2015, 07:03 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Out of respect for JMc's feelings, don't post 964T **** Dave.

JMc is still hurting after the break up of his 12 year relationship. 'First loves' are harder to let go.

Glad you are having fun mate. Not sure how you managed to get a job that takes you to the Porsche Factory every year??
Old 07-05-2015, 07:22 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Out of respect for JMc's feelings, don't post 964T **** Dave.
Out of respect for me, don't post any more C2S **** either!! That's a car I really regret selling. (And that shot from behind is why!)
Old 07-05-2015, 07:35 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Default Black R

Or the cars that got away
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2015, 11:49 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Better to have loved and lost, than never loved at all??

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?